Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's a really good idea if you want the number of informal ballots to skyrocket.

I could see this being a plus for me personally.

Atrocious idea though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

open24hours posted:

If you can't vote you can't vote, I guess.
People make mistakes, and the more boxes they need to number, the more likely they are to make one. Roughly one third of BtL votes are informal simply due to numbering errors, and that's from a group of voters who probably care more about the system than they average voter does. Forcing everyone to do it would turn the election into a farce.

quote:

They could have a system where you fill it out on a screen and it can warn you if it's invalid before you print it.
How much voters should be encouraged (or forced) to vote formally is a bit of an open question.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's why it would just warn you, and not force you to change it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

That's why it would just warn you, and not force you to change it.

Your ballot is invalid due to the following reason(s):
No Numbering
Penis Drawings in boxes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

open24hours posted:

They should have made below the line voting and numbering all boxes mandatory.

The most enjoyable part of voting below the line is when you get to the third quarter or so and have to decide what you hate more. Sure, you've inevitably put the parties you really hate down the bottom, but you still have to decide if the racist no-grammar microparty goes above or below the independent that had that hilarious fuckup in a speech last week.

If we can streamline that part of BtL voting, then make it happen.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Not having the number everything below the line is great. I'll put Labour as my last preference and know it won't go further than that, if it gets past the Greens.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The few times I worked elections and had to count, almost all of the below the line voters hosed up somewhere and it was invalid.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I kind of hope it's not a DD. I want Ricky to stay on another 3 years.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I kind of hope it's not a DD. I want Ricky to stay on another 3 years.

I half suspect that Ricky'd do ok in the event that the senate needed to be re-elected.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
A DD election with the new senate voting method would be the best possible chance for some of the fringe parties to get in. I'd happily trade Ricky for HEMP, SEX and BULLET TRAINS.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
3 day weekend party or gtfo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A man has been found dead inside home of the former Health Services Union boss Kathy Jackson.

:stare:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SynthOrange posted:

A man has been found dead inside home of the former Health Services Union boss Kathy Jackson.

:magical:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

HEMP, SEX and BULLET TRAINS.

Please don't post what I got up to on the weekend.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 2, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thatfatkid posted:

A DD election with the new senate voting method would be the best possible chance for some of the fringe parties to get in. I'd happily trade Ricky for HEMP, SEX and BULLET TRAINS.

Yeah, it's part of the reason they won't have a DD.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

open24hours posted:

If you can't vote you can't vote, I guess.

This is putting the cart before the horse.

This country needs better political education before compulsory numbering below the line will work properly, otherwise you're disenfranchising people.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Who leaked the Submarine stuff?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Endman posted:

This is putting the cart before the horse.

This country needs better political education before compulsory numbering below the line will work properly, otherwise you're disenfranchising people.

What better incentive to learn?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Endman posted:

It's not about political education, it's that numbering hundreds of boxes is something that is easy to gently caress up because of human fallibility.

It's also not necessary to get a representative parliament.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Who leaked the Submarine stuff?

Tone

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

And apparently there is an AFP investigation to go along with that.

This could get interesting.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Dear Liberal Party,

Please continue consuming each other in an orgy of self destruction just as Labor did.

Kind Regards,
Hoo Man

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Birdstrike posted:

3 day weekend party or gtfo

If this party actually exists I'm voting 1 now and forever

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
3 day weekend party or 3 day weekend party party?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Goffer posted:

3 day weekend party or 3 day weekend party party?

Have both run separately and then they can form the best coalition government ever.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Bitter debates of sleeping in on the weekend vs. Not sleeping for 3 days to party

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/704868956356481024

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SynthOrange posted:

Oooooh shiiiiiiiit

No sniping hey Tones

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

5'd

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
OPEN THE BLOODGATES

:kheldragar::kheldragar::kheldragar::kheldragar::kheldragar::kheldragar:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

what article?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

tithin posted:

what article?
The original article is in NTATA's best friend (favourite leakage sponge) the Arsetralian.

The best bit? It was typical NTATA flim flam and smear.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...302-gn8aco.html

quote:

Defence Force chief at odds with Tony Abbott claim that Malcolm Turnbull has delayed new submarines March 2, 2016 - 2:27PM David Wroe National security correspondent

Police investigate defence leaks
The federal police are called in to investigate the leaking of classified drafts of the Defence white paper.
The Defence Department has requested police investigate the leaking of draft sections of the Defence white paper that were written under the prime ministership of Tony Abbott.

Defence Force chief Mark Binskin, meanwhile, is at odds with Mr Abbott over the former prime minister's claim that the commissioning of Australia's next submarine fleet has been delayed under Malcolm Turnbull."I don't leak, I don't background. If I've got something to say, I say it." - Former prime minister Tony Abbott

Mr Turnbull said the head of the Defence Department Dennis Richardson had ordered an investigation into the leak, which formed the basis of a report in The Australian newspaper that extensively quoted Mr Abbott. "I can confirm that the secretary of the Department of Defence has advised me that he has initiated an investigation which will obviously be conducted by the Australian Federal Police into the apparent leak of these classified documents that were referred to in the newspaper," Mr Turnbull told Parliament on Wednesday afternoon. The former prime minister denied being responsible for the leak. "I don't leak, I don't background," Mr Abbott said. "If I've got something to say, I say it."

Mr Abbott was quoted in The Australian on Wednesday saying he was "not just disappointed" but "flabbergasted at this decision" to commit to having the first new submarine in the water by the early 2030s rather than several years earlier. He was commenting on the newspaper's report based on the leaked white paper sections. The newspaper says it has obtained sections of the draft Defence white paper produced under Mr Abbott's prime ministership that state that the first of the new submarines was "likely to begin entering service in the late 2020s". The eventual white paper, released last week, commits to having the first of the new boats in the water by the early 2030s, meaning an average extension of the life of the existing Collins Class fleet of about five years will be needed. But at a briefing on the white paper on Tuesday, Air Chief Marshal Binskin stated clearly there had been no change in the submarine schedule over the period of the change of prime ministers. The Defence chief was asked: "And that early 2030s reference hasn't changed since the change of prime minister and defence minister?" He replied: "No, no, not at all. No." He was commenting before the publication of The Australian's story. But on Wednesday after the publication, a spokeswoman for Air Chief Marshal Binskin added: "The department's advice to government has been consistent."

Rear Admiral Jonathan Mead, head of Navy capability, said at the Tuesday briefing that a clear understanding of the realistic date for having the new submarines in the water had emerged over the past two years. He said that through the government's submarine competitive evaluation process and "our understanding of what needed to be done and our engagement with industry, we've got a lot better understanding and been able to hone in those dates a lot better". The competitive evaluation process is being run by the Defence Department to guide the government in deciding whether Australia should partner with Japan, Germany or France in designing and building the new submarines. Fairfax Media understands that the late 2020s had previously been canvassed as an option when it was more likely that the submarines would be built overseas. Mr Abbott was pushing for a 2026 start date for the new submarines but was consistently advised that this was not possible. The Australian article also names former defence minister Kevin Andrews as pressing to have the first submarine built by 2026-27. Mr Andrews was a close supporter of Mr Abbott's and has overtly questioned Turnbull government national security policy since he was dumped following the leadership change.

National security is being fought as a proxy war within the Coalition as part of lingering resentment over Mr Turnbull's ousting of Mr Abbott last September. Defence has previously put on the record that a 2026 start date for the new submarines was not achievable because of delays in decision-making by previous governments. The secretary of the Defence Department Dennis Richardson told a Senate hearing last October that "for us to have an operating submarine in the water to replace the Collins by 2026, we would have needed to have taken decisions in respect of the future submarine some years ago". Mr Richardson said at that time that some extension of the life of the Collins Class was "highly likely".

AND another National Security leak.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

tithin posted:

what article?

Joint Strike Fighter Greg Sheridan published an article ([behind the Aus' paywall) that claimed Turnbull was delaying the construction of new submarines by a decade, and backed it up with evidence from a leaked draft of the defence white paper. The story also had comments from Abbott about how shameful it was.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Victoria had a big win today against the pokies in the high court. Recouping over half a billion in compensation paid to Tatts and Tabcorp for removal of licenses.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-02/high-court-rules-over-loss-of-gaming-licences-in-victoria/7212944

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If this party actually exists I'm voting 1 now and forever

I remember it being on the ballot in the 2004 federal election, haven't seen it since

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Solemn Sloth posted:

Victoria had a big win today against the pokies in the high court. Recouping over half a billion in compensation paid to Tatts and Tabcorp for removal of licenses.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-02/high-court-rules-over-loss-of-gaming-licences-in-victoria/7212944

quote:

"It's a great outcome, it means the $540 million that had been previously allocated to Tattersalls will now of course be returned to the state," he said.

Shadow treasurer Michael O'Brien said the Government should apologise to Victorians.

"This decision brings to an end one of the greatest financial disasters in Victoria's history," he said in a statement.

Get back into the sea

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You Am I posted:

Oooooh shiiiiiiiit

Apparently police found nothing suspicious about a dead body at Kathy's place. :shrug:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SynthOrange posted:

Apparently police found nothing suspicious about a dead body at Kathy's place. :shrug:

'Suspicious' is a funny word like that. I don't think I'd call it 'suspicious', either.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Cause of death.....

Love* struck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
grubstruck*

• Locked thread