Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I didn't realise that it had been a thing for a while. I saw Graun and New Statesman articles about it in my Fb feed from today, so I assumed that this was a new thing that HMG wanted to distract us from the spasming corpse of the NHS with.

E: 1st March 1953, Premier Iosef Stalin suffers a stroke and collapses at his dacha. He doesn't regain consciousness and dies four days later.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

They'll soon be back. And in greater numbers.

Helen Highwater posted:

Did I hit my head and wake up in an alternate timeline where the feudal system was somehow still a thing in TYOOL 2016?
I hate to break it to you.

Renaissance Robot posted:

*tugs forelock*
Due to a confusion between lock and skin I am no longer welcome at such occasions.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Darth Walrus posted:

Funny thing is, if you check out Hugh Glass's Wikipedia article, that's pretty much what actually happened to the poor dude.

He couldn't walk in real life. Nor did he have a son! And he didn't kill the bear on his own. Loads of it isn't really real to make it worse.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut posted:

Oscars are a bourgeois construct.

You think?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Helen Highwater posted:

What the gently caress is this?

Clean For the Queen.

'Hey proles, you don't have jobs and the people who were formerly employed keeping your streets clean have all been rendered down into trace elements but could you do their work for free Her Maj? Did I hit my head and wake up in an alternate timeline where the feudal system was somehow still a thing in TYOOL 2016?

My city has none! I have never been this proud to live here.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Helen Highwater posted:

Clean For the Queen.

'Hey proles, you don't have jobs and the people who were formerly employed keeping your streets clean have all been rendered down into trace elements but could you do their work for free Her Maj? Did I hit my head and wake up in an alternate timeline where the feudal system was somehow still a thing in TYOOL 2016?

I like the map showing warheads going off and ranking it by megadeaths. Yes... Clean the UK...

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

TinTower posted:

Well, yeah. Tangerine was superior in every way and got totally snubbed. :colbert:

Relevant video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjDufjtIr1M

Tangerine was good but it wasn't that good, it was better than The Danish Girl but that was a massive piece of poo poo. The best film of last year was either The Look of Silence or Inside Out, the former didn't even win documentary which is absurd.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

StoneOfShame posted:

Tangerine was good but it wasn't that good, it was better than The Danish Girl but that was a massive piece of poo poo. The best film of last year was either The Look of Silence or Inside Out, the former didn't even win documentary which is absurd.

Those are weird ways of spelling Mad Max Fury Road.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Those are weird ways of spelling Mad Max Fury Road.

I really enjoyed Mad Max, I really did but not ad much as everyone else for some reason, I mean its been pushed as like the greatest action movie of recent years but for my money its nowhere near as good as Dredd was. On the subject of Dredd looks like the Snooper's charter is going to allow the police to hack phones!!! This government will implement the Judge system wont they.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How are they actually going to hack the phones? It's one thing writing legislation permitting police to do something, but if legislation allowed police to phase through walls and take the form of animals it still wouldn't necessarily make it possible.

I guess there are known vulnerabilities in some platforms, but Apple aren't acting like the type to cooperate and I can't imagine custom ROM providers for Android doing so either.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

StoneOfShame posted:

I really enjoyed Mad Max, I really did but not ad much as everyone else for some reason, I mean its been pushed as like the greatest action movie of recent years but for my money its nowhere near as good as Dredd was. On the subject of Dredd looks like the Snooper's charter is going to allow the police to hack phones!!! This government will implement the Judge system wont they.

Dredd didn't manage to piss off MRAs as much as Mad Max did and is therefore the inferior film.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Guavanaut posted:

How are they actually going to hack the phones? It's one thing writing legislation permitting police to do something, but if legislation allowed police to phase through walls and take the form of animals it still wouldn't necessarily make it possible.

I guess there are known vulnerabilities in some platforms, but Apple aren't acting like the type to cooperate and I can't imagine custom ROM providers for Android doing so either.

Supposedly by ordering Apple to do so: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/02/investigatory-powers-bill-and-apple

quote:

The newly proposed British spying law, the Investigatory Powers Bill (IPB), already includes methods that would permit the British government to order companies like Apple to re-engineer their own technology, just as the FBI is demanding. Worse, if the law passes, each of these methods would be accompanied by a gag order. Not only would Apple be expected to comply, but the IPB would insist that Tim Cook could not tell the public what was going on without breaking UK law. At least in the current fight between Apple and the US government, we're having the debate out loud and in public.

There's at least three parts of the IPB that could theoretically be used against Apple to compel it into undermining the company's own security technology.

First, the IPB would grant the UK the power to issue a “Technical Capability Notice" (S.189). a secret order that the UK would be able to serve on a telecommunications operator (which the bill currently defines so broadly it would include companies like Apple) to force it to "remov[e] electronic protection applied ... to any communications or data" and to "provide facilities or services of a specified description."

Second, the law would also grant the UK the power to issue a "National Security Notice" (S.188)—another secret instrument, even more vaguely drawn, that would require operators to "carry out any conduct, including the provision of services of facilities," which the British government "considers necessary in the interests of national security."

As Privacy International have noted, both of these instruments include gag orders that would prohibit Tim Cook from telling his customers what was happening.

Third, the new bill provides for "equipment interference"—the UK’s name for tailored access, or hacking in the popular sense of that term. It would allow the UK to break into private devices and insert new code for the purposes of surveillance or extracting data. Equipment interference orders include a requirement (S.101) that any communications provider (again, this includes Apple) take any "reasonably practicable" steps in effecting a hacking warrant. This requirement, like the other two notices above, is of course accompanied with a matching gag order (S.102), preventing providers from informing others. (We believe the gag could even preclude them from discussing the order with technical and legal advisors they might have.)

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Coohoolin posted:

Dredd didn't manage to piss off MRAs as much as Mad Max did and is therefore the inferior film.

Shame as they're quite similar in many regards. At least Mad Max could only be accused of ripping off itself.

...And now I want to see Dredd in the desert, the mooted plot of Dredd 2. Balls.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can't see that working in the current climate, and I definitely can't see it working within the custom ROM communities. Most of them would just close shop if placed in that situation, like what probably happened with Lavabit.

As for Apple does the UK government even have the capability to enforce that kind of gagging on a multinational that they can't even enforce tax codes on? What if Tim Cook calls them out in public from the US? Do they try to extradite him? Good luck getting that one through a court.

Gideon might be able to get some of his new friends like Huawei to do it, but I can't see it playing out at all like they want.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

yeah but they still physically can't do it, and if they aren't going to make Amazon pay tax they sure as gently caress won't arrest Tim Cook for something that they aren't going to be able to get anyone to say is possible.

"We want to start recording all your data by secretly inserting code into your phones" is gibberish unless they actually have a method to do so, which they do not.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Then we have the issue of whether or not they're capable of understanding all the metadata they want. Sure, large corporates can build profiles for people buying and selling things, but Big Data is still in the babysteps of understanding large-scale economic activity on a national level. If they want to start profiling protesters and terrorists, they're going to find out very rapidly the same thing sociology and psychology already knows; they don't exist as a seperate definable group.

This government is having a lot of fun playing spy games but frankly they very clearly don't have a clue what they're doing, and we're supposed to be scared of a theresa may-backed bill after watching the hilarity of her attempting to define "drugs" as anything but "things my sort of white people shouldnt do"?

She's evil, but she's not competent. She only kills people through stupidity.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

Shame as they're quite similar in many regards. At least Mad Max could only be accused of ripping off itself.

...And now I want to see Dredd in the desert, the mooted plot of Dredd 2. Balls.

Dredd Max? Max Dredd?

I see potential.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Kegluneq posted:

The Long Walk would make for a good Dredd film. I think Dredd himself has done it about.. three times?

Anyway, while most people read 2000AD as a kid and thought the Judge system and megacities were a terrible vision of a dystopian future the Tories thought they were something to aspire to.

Eventually London will consume the rest of the UK turning it in to Brit-Cit and judges will patrol the streets meting out punishment.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Some smartarse is going to come up with a fancy algorithm to convert terabytes of metadata into Oberleutnant's arrest warrent some day.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I'd love to see Apple just go nuclear and threaten to stop selling the iPhone in the UK.

They aren't that important to total UK phone sales or anything economically threatening, but I'd love to see how the optics play out for the Tories.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Helen Highwater posted:

Clean For the Queen.

If you zoom out, there's an event in Saudi Arabia

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Spangly A posted:

yeah but they still physically can't do it

I get the very strong impression that legislators (and apparently also the FBI) believe that Apple are just being coy/evasive, because God knows if they were building a communications system they'd ram that fucker full of secret backdoors! (a thing gchq really did, iirc)

Scion3872
Apr 21, 2010

Helen Highwater posted:

Clean For the Queen.

Zoom out a bit, there's an event organised for Saudi Arabia. Not sure how that works.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I can't see that working in the current climate, and I definitely can't see it working within the custom ROM communities. Most of them would just close shop if placed in that situation, like what probably happened with Lavabit.

Most smartphones run two OSes - the regular one (Android/iOS) and another one which is an RTOS running the baseband processor (does all the low level talking to phone networks). Usually they talk to each other using the good old Hayes command set like in your 2400 baud modem from 1985 :corsair:

The RTOS is closed-source, proprietary and unmoddable, can sniff all of your network traffic (and probably RAM, flash etc depending on the implementation), and you can bet the manufacturers can put backdoors in it if they're not doing so already.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

the hilarity of her attempting to define "drugs" as anything but "things my sort of white people shouldnt do"?
This still has the potential to be deeply troubling just because of how awful the selective enforcement will be.

Renfield posted:

If you zoom out, there's an event in Saudi Arabia
British arms sales in action.

Bedshaped posted:

Some smartarse is going to come up with a fancy algorithm to convert terabytes of metadata into Oberleutnant's arrest warrent some day.
grep -i "full communism" ./suspects/domestic/leftist/ukmt.log

e: ^^^
That's a point, didn't one of the UK agencies also infiltrate a SIM card manufacturer somewhere in the EU and pull some very unethical poo poo to steal private keys too?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Spangly A posted:

Then we have the issue of whether or not they're capable of understanding all the metadata they want. Sure, large corporates can build profiles for people buying and selling things, but Big Data is still in the babysteps of understanding large-scale economic activity on a national level. If they want to start profiling protesters and terrorists, they're going to find out very rapidly the same thing sociology and psychology already knows; they don't exist as a seperate definable group.

Hail Hydra.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I get the very strong impression that legislators (and apparently also the FBI) believe that Apple are just being coy/evasive, because God knows if they were building a communications system they'd ram that fucker full of secret backdoors! (a thing gchq really did, iirc)

GCHQ have the ability to eavesdrop on world leaders and, with that, do roughly gently caress all. I'm not an Adam Curtis fan generally but Bugger is certainly a worthwhile read, more for the examples given than the whole "Britain's never caught a spy" thing. Of course they're all paranoid lunatics. They're conservatives. That is what the word entails. I'm still far less concerned about them stamping their feet than I am on, say, the impact of an increase in violence and funding for Somalian gangs that the Khat ban opens a door to.

Scion3872 posted:

Zoom out a bit, there's an event organised for Saudi Arabia. Not sure how that works.

Very Ethnically

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

StoneOfShame posted:

And ordinarily, Tangerine would be Oscar bait in itself. I mean, a semi-biographical film about trans sex workers of colour? Academy would fall over themselves to give it nominations.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

Wasn't that largely because the MRAs weren't as vocally active then, they've always been about but the noise they generate has shot up over the last year. I do remember there some MRAs getting pissed off about Dredd.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

StoneOfShame posted:

Wasn't that largely because the MRAs weren't as vocally active then, they've always been about but the noise they generate has shot up over the last year. I do remember there some MRAs getting pissed off about Dredd.

Probably because it was *looks nervously at the shadows of the thread* before *glances one more time* [whispers] gamergate

*flames block the exits, the sprinklers spray piss down on us all*

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What on earth is there in Dredd for MRAs to get mad about? :psyduck:

And don't say "women"

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Goddamnit, I'd rather argue with fascists again than that lot.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What on earth is there in Dredd for MRAs to get mad about? :psyduck:

And don't say "women"

Okay then. Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemales. :mrapig:

More seriously Keg addressed this:

Kegluneq posted:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

twoot posted:

I'd love to see Apple just go nuclear and threaten to stop selling the iPhone in the UK.

They aren't that important to total UK phone sales or anything economically threatening, but I'd love to see how the optics play out for the Tories.

A socialist MP in France proposed a similar bill, with a 1 million euro fine for refusing to comply. Not to be outdone, a right-wing MP proposed an amendment setting the fine at 2 million euros and adding a one-year ban on the phone model in question (A ban on iPhones, essentially). The right-wingers are also saying that refusing to assist investigations by decrypting phones is tantamount to being an accomplice in acts of terrorism.

It's an impressive combo of batshit authoritarianism and not having the slightest idea what they're talking about.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Lol at the comments on the article Keg posted, 'Dredd is egalitarian not feminist as it doesn't put one sex over the other.'

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Tesseraction posted:

Probably because it was *looks nervously at the shadows of the thread* before *glances one more time* [whispers] gamergate

*flames block the exits, the sprinklers spray piss down on us all*

It's actually about ethics in post-apocalyptic deathcar building.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kassad posted:

A socialist MP in France proposed a similar bill, with a 1 million euro fine for refusing to comply. Not to be outdone, a right-wing MP proposed an amendment setting the fine at 2 million euros and adding a one-year ban on the phone model in question (A ban on iPhones, essentially). The right-wingers are also saying that refusing to assist investigations by decrypting phones is tantamount to being an accomplice in acts of terrorism.

It's an impressive combo of batshit authoritarianism and not having the slightest idea what they're talking about.

I'm sure that Apple is quaking in their boots at the prospect of a fine that amounts to less than a rounding error in their yearly revenue.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kassad posted:

I like to imagine this gets into an arms race between the two MPs where they raise the fine by 1 mil and the ban by a year with each new retaliatory bill.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

twoot posted:

Kassad posted:

France banning the iPhone and Apple leaving the UK would probably be a bigger blow to the government than any amount of dead bodies ever were and I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that. Hilarious, depressing and terrifying at the same time. Pretty much a microcosm of this country actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kegluneq posted:

Dredd 2. Balls.

Dredd 2: Balls?

Dredd is an excellent film, but Mad Max is a level beyond simply because of how much it accomplishes with so little dialogue. Miller's a miracle worker.

• Locked thread