Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It will have gold fringe, because we're an Admiral now and we operate under Admiralty Law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

RandomPauI posted:

3: Request more info
1) How long can the station sustain itself?
2) Would it be possible to send half the population thru the gate and half on the alpha centauri plan?
3) Is the station itself mobile?
4) How many vessels does the station have that can be press-ganged into service?
5) Is the station safe from the alien's shotgun strategy?
6) If it is safe, how much could we recover from the asteroid base?

1.) Current levels of supplies, including renewable food sources, almost 5 years. Its theoretically possible to make the station self sustaining, assuming nothing destabilizes it, like a MESSENGER eating the sun.

2.) Absolutely!

3.) No, it could, with a lot of effort, made to move.... very very slowly. Its not really designed for that kind of effort.

4.) A lot. Twelve freighters, one Behemoth class interplanetary transport, a fleet of 24+ pinnaces, one Helios class gas gatherer that was destined for earth, a couple mining ships, a small number of other miscellaneous ships.

5.) You don't know.

6.) If you dropped everyone off right now, and headed back to Agrippa at full speed, you could probably get one good supply run in. Probably. It takes time to load up the ship.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Skellybones posted:

Has Earth been destroyed yet?
As far as you can tell... no.

The spores seem to have mostly ignored earth? They steered clear of it.

AmyL posted:

Also, what does our new hat look like since we are promoted now?

Traditionally, admiral hats look something like this:

Unfortunately it looks like the Achilles didn't stock any, not counting on the entire fleet being wiped out and you being promoted. Maybe you can solve that on Callisto though.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

TheCog posted:

Unfortunately it looks like the Achilles didn't stock any, not counting on the entire fleet being wiped out and you being promoted. Maybe you can solve that on Callisto though.

SHUT

DOWN

EVERYTHING.

We're making hats

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

TheCog posted:

As far as you can tell... no.

The spores seem to have mostly ignored earth? They steered clear of it.

Traditionally, admiral hats look something like this:

In a discreet way without anyone thinking we are using this to our own advantage. Which we are but it would be too gauche to say it openly.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Are the alien spores radiating in a flat plane matching the solar system, or a sphere shape?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The xeno want our hats :ohdear:

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Skellybones posted:

Are the alien spores radiating in a flat plane matching the solar system, or a sphere shape?

Its a "sphere" with a much higher density along the axis' bearing planets.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 16, 2016

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
1A 2A 3 delay decision 4A

Ask these guys when they first powered up the gate. Could have rung the dinner bell for the messengers and sent through a couple appetizers so they know our tech.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Oh speaking of which, do we have a complete list of the names of the muntineers and loyalists along with their service records, DNA, fingerprints, voice records, and other things so we can keep track of them at all times? No special reason. Honest.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
##vote
1. C; B
: Given Dr. Kipruto's suddenly withdrawn behavior, having someone to vent at could probably do us both good.
2. C; B
3. A
: At some point, we have to make a leap of faith. We gamble the lives of everyone either way.
4. A: The decision is too big for us to make alone.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Not Alex posted:

1A 2A 3 delay decision 4A

Ask these guys when they first powered up the gate. Could have rung the dinner bell for the messengers and sent through a couple appetizers so they know our tech.

About a year go. Exactly 11 months, twenty one days and about 17 hours was the first and only successful test. They succeeded in keeping the anomaly running for exactly 57.4 minutes. It manifested as a gravitic anomaly, which "swallowed" objects without visibly damaging them before they "vanished", and didn't seem to output any kind of energy or radiation as a result. The generator that had provided the original burst of power had failed five minutes into the test, so that leaves an open time of 52.4 minutes once the threshold is reached. During this time 23 probes of different types were sent in. None returned. The threshold is actually rather high, and high command put all tests on standby until such a time as the MESSENGER situation was resolved.

AmyL posted:

Oh speaking of which, do we have a complete list of the names of the muntineers and loyalists along with their service records, DNA, fingerprints, voice records, and other things so we can keep track of them at all times? No special reason. Honest.

Reasonably complete. Keeping track of everyone at all times is fairly computer intensive and useless without proper tools and resources to analyze the data, so you're currently not doing this.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 16, 2016

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

TheCog posted:

About a year go. Exactly 11 months, twenty one days and about 17 hours was the first and only successful test. They succeeded in keeping the anomaly running for exactly 57.4 minutes. It manifested as a gravitic anomaly, which "swallowed" objects without visibly damaging them before they "vanished", and didn't seem to output any kind of energy or radiation as a result. The generator that had provided the original burst of power had failed five minutes into the test, so that leaves an open time of 52.4 minutes once the threshold is reached. During this time 23 probes of different types were sent in. None returned. The threshold is actually rather high, and high command put all tests on standby until such a time as the MESSENGER situation was resolved.

Reasonably complete. Keeping track of everyone at all times is fairly computer intensive and useless without proper tools and resources to analyze the data, so you're currently not doing this.
How much time, data, and resources would it take to analyze the data? Not something to be done right but something to give to a few people to keep them busy so they won't go brooding about what happened.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
What happened when they shoved something halfway through and tried to pull it back? Like a dog or snake or monkey in a spacesuit? Or on a rope?

Because if I was a researcher on a black site that would be the first thing Id want to do. And if I was head if research on a black site laboratory and my researchers hadn't done this I'd be furious.

It took me all of five minutes to think of this so it had to have come up during meetings.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Outrail posted:

What happened when they shoved something halfway through and tried to pull it back? Like a dog or snake or monkey in a spacesuit? Or on a rope?

Because if I was a researcher on a black site that would be the first thing Id want to do. And if I was head if research on a black site laboratory and my researchers hadn't done this I'd be furious.

It took me all of five minutes to think of this so it had to have come up during meetings.

Too much gravitational pull once you get within the anomalies field. Probe 3 was basically an engine with a "probing tool" attached. Once the probing tool made it into the anomaly no amount of backwards pull exerted seemed to be able to get it out. Up to 500 km/s force were exerted before they stopped applying force. The moment the engine slowed, the probe was pulled back with a force proportional to the force that had been exerted, and the probe was sucked in.

All readings from the "arm" during the 3 minutes and twenty seven seconds that it was resisting the pull were inconclusive static, and mostly radiation, seeming to indicate that the probe "arm" wasn't immediately annihilated, but some property from the anomaly was causing enough electrical interference as to render the feedback useless.

They also attempted to shoot a probe past to find the gravitational horizon, which was actually surprisingly narrow giving the readings. You basically had to get within the ring to get caught, and the exerted counter force seemed proportional. Various types of radiation were shone on the anomaly. For several, it behaved as if it didn't exist, which is... unexpected. Even light seemed barely affected. Certain types of gamma radiation were fully absorbed however.

They also tried to launch a probe "through" the ring at a fraction of the speed of light to see if it could avoid capture. It could not.

The smallest object they launched at it was a meter wide. It seemed to get caught just fine.

The material composition of objects didn't seem to affect absorption.

The science team has a *very long* list of experiments they want to try next time, which they just either didn't have time to try the first time, or didn't have the equipment at the time. (And if you have more questions, ask away! That's what the science team/classified files are here for)

AmyL posted:

How much time, data, and resources would it take to analyze the data? Not something to be done right but something to give to a few people to keep them busy so they won't go brooding about what happened.

Are you trying to make busywork or get tangible results? Because one is easy, the other is not. If you want to do this right, you need a good chunk of computing power, and a large team, with no ethics. Every single person aboard any of your ships has an iriscam, you could, theoretically, monitor their every action 24/7. With proper software, you'd only have to look at tens of thousands of possible infractions a day.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 16, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

They willing to run some experiments while we settle in?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

LowellDND posted:

They willing to run some experiments while we settle in?

To turn the gate on, they need to hook up one or both of your ships reactors to the "gate" and run it. If you contribute the reactor, they'll do what you say. You are the ranking officer.

If you guys want to do this, there'll be a vote on how to do it. They'd *prefer* to remove the reactor wholesale and just plug it in, in case things go wrong, but that knocks out your inertial dampeners for the most part, which *really* limits your operational speed. The alternative is docking near the "gate" and running a ton of cables, but if anything goes wrong it may damage the ship.

There's a real concern that it may attract the MESSENGER objects. The risk evaluation falls on you guys.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 16, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Okay, crazy leftfield idea.

Is it possible to become sustainable, even if the sun gets eaten? Can we do this while going full stealth no emissions?

Do we know if the MESSENGERS go for gas giants or outer system moons? Or is it just places with humans/radio emissions?

Is it possible to find a brown dwarf in the oort cloud and hang out there?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Okay, crazy leftfield idea.

Is it possible to become sustainable, even if the sun gets eaten? Can we do this while going full stealth no emissions?

Do we know if the MESSENGERS go for gas giants or outer system moons? Or is it just places with humans/radio emissions?

Maybe. Possibly. Its... unlikely. There's some real issues that need to be resolved, especially regarding energy generation, food production, and just general resource management. Could you make it happen? Maybe. Odds are low. If the sun gets eaten? There are... gravity related problems that immediately crop up. You might be fine. Really hard to tell. It does discard solar generation, which provides a lot of the current energy generation for Callisto Prime.

With no emissions? Odds get even lower. Consider you'd have situations like trying to dock mining ships in complete darkness with no communications. Or trying to shield every generator to avoid every single possible emission. I'd call this sub 1%? If we're being generous. It doesn't look good.

You don't. So far they haven't. That doesn't mean anything though. If you're willing to wait long enough you may find out!

Is it possible to find a brown dwarf in the oort cloud and hang out there?

It's possible! Recommended? Probably not.

Also its 5:30 am, so I apologize if any of my answers aren't super through! If anything isn't a satisfactory answer, let me know and I'll look it over with my notes tomorrow/later today.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 16, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What happened when they shot something into the back of it, like a watermelon or a tank of spiders? Same thing?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Have we seen them go for any small targets such as ourselves? Or just planets and moons?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Outrail posted:

What happened when they shot something into the back of it, like a watermelon or a tank of spiders? Same thing?

Direction of entry didn't seem to matter, nor did direction. Relative speed was also inconclusive.

On the topic of spiders, test 72 was a basically a tank of snails which they had fly by but not enter the anomaly, to see if it emitted any kind of radiation harmful to biological sources that they were not picking up. The twelve snails were fine, and they're still in the fungus research lab.

LowellDND posted:

Have we seen them go for any small targets such as ourselves? Or just planets and moons?
Other than the destruction of the fleet, and every evacuation ship that tried to make it off mars, not that you've noticed. Do consider that you're far out enough that you're not really monitoring everything with precise detail. The distances are pretty vast.

EDIT: Callisto hasn't reported anything either, and they've had their stuff trained on the MESSENGERS pretty much non stop.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 16, 2016

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
>attach gate to front of mini-ship
>fly open gate into messenger
>laugh as it is torn apart

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Wait. Is Callisto in communication with Earth?

Shouldn't we debrief with Earth first thing?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

HardDisk posted:

Also so far the MESSENGERs have actively avoided messing with the Earth itself, and communicating is unlikely to endanger Earth civilization because they were in contact with Mars right up until their The End, and with Callisto more recently, and it's hard to imagine what would make our contact with home so much more hazardous.

Will Callisto be behind Jupiter with respect to the origin of the probe spam when the probe spam gets here? Have they split en route, making such a hedge meaningless?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TheCog posted:

On the topic of spiders, test 72 was a basically a tank of snails which they had fly by but not enter the anomaly, to see if it emitted any kind of radiation harmful to biological sources that they were not picking up. The twelve snails were fine, and they're still in the fungus research lab.

What flora and fauna species are present with regards to both food and research subjects? And what is our ability to propagate ad infinitum?

If we end up on some dead planet with nothing but vat grown fungus burgers on vat grown fungus buns with a side of vat grown fungus we might as well accept the inevitable and take a stroll out the airlock now.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

What flora and fauna species are present with regards to both food and research subjects? And what is our ability to propagate ad infinitum?

If we end up on some dead planet with nothing but vat grown fungus burgers on vat grown fungus buns with a side of vat grown fungus we might as well accept the inevitable and take a stroll out the airlock now.

Wow way to Kriegshame :colbert:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
It's kind of hard to believe Earth forgave us and made us admiral after we went AWOL. Can we use our Admiral-like sixth sense to tell if it's a trap?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Apocron posted:

It's kind of hard to believe Earth forgave us and made us admiral after we went AWOL. Can we use our Admiral-like sixth sense to tell if it's a trap?

They prolly sent it to every ship, so any surviving captains could pull ranks on the stationary orbitals :D

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

LowellDND posted:

They prolly sent it to every ship, so any surviving captains could pull ranks on the stationary orbitals :D

So...just to us?

Aren't we the only remaining Earth fleet remaining?

lol at Earth sending everything they had only for it to be destroyed in less than a minute.

Also, loved the last update. Mysterious xenocivilizations! Weird techonlogy! A gate!

Ask the most important question:

Can the gate be held? And if so, for how long?

Do we poop in the ship? What is done with the poop? Is it ejected or recycled for useful components?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

HardDisk posted:

Callisto *can* communicate with earth.

However your standing orders as per what was given to Callisto say to maintain radio silence. And to evacuate the solar system. More on those next post.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Will Callisto be behind Jupiter with respect to the origin of the probe spam when the probe spam gets here? Have they split en route, making such a hedge meaningless?
Not entirely, but given the probe spread, it wouldn't make much of a difference either way.

Outrail posted:

While I don't have my list off hand, but over 120 species of plants (mostly crops, a couple types of trees, and some misc stuff, from the Spatial Hydroponics Initiative). Lower classes of animals, like rats, mice, crabs, snails, in some quantities, all for different types of experiments. A few monkeys. Not, as far as you know, any herd animals or the like. Maybe 50 species of animals total? You have pretty large data banks on the genetic information of most earth species on Callisto, so it may be possible to recover some with some advanced genetic engineering, a few decades from now.

Apocron posted:

Doesn't feel like it. The instructions seem to assume that either your antenna was damaged, or that you remained out of communication due to orders from Admiral Ho. Its not an entirely unreasonable assumption.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Can the gate be held? And if so, for how long?

Do we poop in the ship? What is done with the poop? Is it ejected or recycled for useful components?
You are free to hold or not hold the gate however long you wish.

You do. In bathrooms usually. Poop is mostly recycled.

Edit: update probably tomorrow morning.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 19, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Is biotechnology at a level that we can create a slavishly loyal monkey-human hybrid servant class in the unlikely event we space the majority of humanity into the unfeeling void of space in response to a real or imagined mutiny?

Either way once earth is gone we can eat a species to extinction at an officer's dinner. What an Honor to be present at that banquet while the non-ranking eat their fungal gruel.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

This potential dystopia pleases me.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I can't wait to see the impressive manner in which Earth is destroyed

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

TheCog posted:

You are free to hold or not hold the gate however long you wish.

You do. In bathrooms usually. Poop is mostly recycled.

So with our power generator they'd able to keep the door open indefinitely? Or is the 53 minute cap independent of the power source?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Mr. Nemo posted:

So with our power generator they'd able to keep the door open indefinitely? Or is the 53 minute cap independent of the power source?

You don't know. Last time they plugged in a generator, the draw was pretty immense and the generator failed five minutes in, the gate remained open for 50 some minutes afterwards.

It could be a function of power, it could be time limited, the only conclusive test so far is that power under a minimum threshold doesn't cause activation.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Is the gate a fixed size?

Can we get the entire space station through the gate?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

TheCog posted:

You don't know. Last time they plugged in a generator, the draw was pretty immense and the generator failed five minutes in, the gate remained open for 50 some minutes afterwards.

It could be a function of power, it could be time limited, the only conclusive test so far is that power under a minimum threshold doesn't cause activation.

How certain are the researchers that this wouldn't cause our own generator to fail in the same way as their initial test? We don't want to be caught dead in the water.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
Still catching up, but wanted to say that I'll be following this wonderful thread! Well done Cog! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

suicide4sexbots posted:

Still catching up, but wanted to say that I'll be following this wonderful thread! Well done Cog! :allears:

Ditto this, great reading so far and I hope to catch up and join the voting soon.

• Locked thread