Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'd hypothesize that the MESSENGER aliens and the ones that built the portal are two different kinds of aliens.
The MESSENGERS are able to employ some kind of FTL during which our instruments were able to detect their presence, as laid out in the OP.
From everything that we know from the report, the gate doesn't just accelerate stuff to beyond lightspeed, but actively displaces it to somewhere else (potentially a giant space landfill though).
It'd be weird if aliens had two kinds of FTL and used the one that seems slower. (But maybe there's some limitations on the gates, which is why they reverted to using the slower option, so that's not an absolute.)
Overall though I think that there's a good chance that if the portal works, and isn't something else entirely, that it'll lead somewhere unaffiliated with the MESSENGERS. (Being stranded in an alien space junkyard system would be an adventure rad as hell too!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Oh, since it seems like we'll be taking the gate option: I'd propose that we prepare a message to be sent just after we go through the gate, which should give enough time for everyone to prepare their goodbyes without endangering is too much, especially if we end up blowing the popsicle stand behind us.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

This is a cool universe you're creating, so don't feel bad about fleshing it out further, I enjoy it very much.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

6. B.) H.)
Sentence her to brig time, but commute that sentence for the duration of the current crisis, as this is an all-hands on deck situation, so that in the end she works normal shifts but for example returns to the brig for her sleep shifts.

7. B. E.

8. B.

9. B.) C.)
Begin at B speed, but if the first few jumps don't elicit a visible reaction from the MESSENGERS slow it down to C speed.

TheCog: What was our rank at the time of Korma's insubordination vis-a-vis her CO that she shot? Did we outrank him or were we about equal. I'm wondering if it would make sense to argue that the station leader was in fact guilty of insubordination and Korma merely intervened to restore the chain of command.

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 14, 2016

• Locked thread