Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
to be fair, zizek looks like a guy who likes his 'sugar' and 'substance,' if you catch my drift...

(i'm saying he looks like a slob)

he's still right, though.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The man has a point. I mean, I'm sure missing out on the full experience of life due to being able to enjoy sweet tasting things without going into a diabetic coma.

you're looking at this from the utilitarian rationalist, neoliberal (neo liberal gets replaced with n-word, now?) progressive perspective where anything that makes banal consumption easier and its consequences less apparent is good. but increased consumption and less consequence aren't necessarily good things. we need restraint. we need consequence to inform that restraint.

this anti-rationalism can also be applied more broadly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBJTeNTZtGU

edit:

on the subject of films more specifically, the smartest point kevin smith ever made was in the documentary This Film is Not Yet Rated, where he pointed out the obvious irony that a work as emotionally harrowing and viscerally explicit as Saving Private Ryan was rated-R, effectively barring it from being viewed by the younger people who are perhaps in the most need to seeing it and reckoning with the horrors and sacrifices of war. Die Another Day, on the other hand, is apparently more appropriate for unaccompanied teenagers.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
like, we're literally approaching this point where the zizek, foucault, and bill burr are all in this united front of upsettingly persuasive derision of this modern attitude that "fastfood is perfectly fine for you."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
we've now approached the point where we are patronizing the poor, lowly people who 'don't have a choice,' and thus naturalizing our condition of social superiority by 'giving them options.'

we're still acting like critique of these conditions is condescending.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
i just have a probably misplaced faith that the director of The World's End could have made a movie at least as good as The Mask, while adam mckay, peyton reed, and co. couldn't even hit the stride of that mid-tier pop standard.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hat Thoughts posted:

u like The World's End? It's the least popular of that "trilogy" but I think it's my favorite

i really liked The World's End, probably about as much as Shaun of the Dead, since they're basically more of a kind than either is to Hot Fuzz. the latter most is, to me, his superior work, with Scott Pilgrim having diminishing returns.

the most important point we keep coming to with this, however, is that every single one of these movies is far and away not only funnier but also way more inventively shot than... Bring It On, reed's first and best film.

edit: beaten on Bring It On, but there it go

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also every time people try to write new and original stories they just gently caress it up.

this is confusing the self-evident reality that 90% of everything will always be crap with one of several variations of the fallacy that you can change this through careful attention to formula.

in reality the problem isn't any divine algorithm of storytelling. it's that the vast majority of people in absolutely any discipline are humbly mediocre, and exceptionalism of any type is rare - and that's exactly how standards are constructed.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
people didn't go to see Batman v Superman because the marketing campaign didn't successfully manufacture groundbreaking desire to see batman and superman fight, and because the film itself overtly subverted that premise.

the movie shares the exact same 'choose your team' marketing campaign with Civil War, but there is no 'team' in the movie. bruce wayne is wrong, clark kent is a christ figure. the movie takes two classic figures of american pop culture altruism and portrays them as grimly opposed to each other by fate, in a scenario where one has to die, and another has to lose.

there is no such pretense or tone of ideological instability in the MCU movies, so Civil War accurately comes off as more 'bipartisan' and, thus, 'fair & balanced.' choosing your team is meaningless, people subversively take the twitter to nominate 'independent' teams for team black panther and team marvel girl or something. everyone has a seat at the table, it's accessible liberal capitalism at its most refined.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think its more that the majority of people making these movies haven't actually read any comics or know anything about the characters they are attempting to portray. They just make up their own poo poo based on an extremely loose interpretation of a wikipedia article. Movies with love and care put into them succeed, ala Deadpool.

remember, reading comic books is a hobby. anybody can do it, they just require interest in that particular medium.

that's a completely separate kettle of fish from whether or not you're a good filmmaker, just like reading lots of comic books is a completely separate matter from whether kevin smith can actually write worth a drat.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck. Looks like he wants to work on his own project which I have to respect. Who the hell do you replace him with? At least Godzilla 2 is far away and this isn't a last second thing.

said it twice in greenlit thread and saying again: Tom Green, writer and director of Monsters: Dark Continent.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
consarn it, not that tom green gagagagagaga

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Would Bat socks made change your mind?

it's not basically explicit that this film will also be taking some cues from Batman v Superman's subversion of 'franchise' imagery. part of joker's costume is now literally just making fun of how bruce wayne 'branded' himself.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
why didn't they just get ben stiller to take over Ant-Man?

edit: or that dude who did Mystery Men

edit: or sam raimi

edit: or guy ritchie

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 23, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

i'm really gonna love it if that scene of the north african witness played by wunmi mosaku literally happens just after clark kent has gotten does having sex with lois lane in the bath tub like it implies here

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

cvnvcnv posted:

Superman does not have a responsibility to save all people nor do all or even any people have a right to have their problems solved by Superman. I don't know if that scene is supposed to trigger some automatic response where I think Superman is an rear end in a top hat or what because the opposite happened.

i feel like clark's reaction to that #blacklivescount moment was a little more nuanced than that (i don't actually blame clark kent for genocide - but the movie is ostensibly about how his love of one person gets in the way of his love for the world)

this is a good idea

Vintersorg posted:

That's awesome - Dope is so goddamn good.

great postmodern remake of Super Fly, imho

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
it's not like we don't live in a world where those other black directors, plus tim story and george tillman, jr., don't exist

like, i'm sure black directors get 'type cast' just as much as black performers, but within the workman-like structure of commercial cinema, black directors making non- 'specialty market' films isn't precisely unheard of.

Yoshifan823 posted:

for all I know, this will be the first superhero movie not directed by someone of the same race and gender as the main character.

Y'know, if we ignore Punisher: War Zone and Steel.

gently caress beatenand both Fantastic Four movies

i wonder who's gonna helm Cyborg - they should see if they can't get ryan coogler into their wing (still)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Golden insight as always, SMG. It really is a night-and-day difference.

well why not posted:

The one that really sold me is where hulk has his head right at the top. The first one in that list, actually. It looks so much better with the bars in.

This. You really get this really nice complement between him and the other cast. Even though his face is turned away, and he's towering over them, he's just as 'trapped' by the duplicitousness of Loki as everyone else.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Wheany posted:

Am I the only one who can't see these images?

i have the same problem with [url]https://[/url]. Try just [url]http://[/url]

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The MSJ posted:

I hope James Wan watches this trailer.

Alternatively, I hope he really takes the deliberate blandness of Aquaman's "out-takes from a James Cameron IMAX doc" cameo in Batman v Superman to heart to craft something basically like The Abyss, but from the perspective of the sea-alien.

For real, they should go full The Day the Earth Stood Still with the climax, too.

edit: If he basically goes about making it like one of his recent ghost movies, he'll do a much better job than if he tries to, like, go all Fast & Furious logic with the script. Nobody buys the silver age image of the sea as just this place of infinite blue clarity where cape-men swim around in, like, enhanced scuba soots or whatever. Everyone now basically realizes the sea is a dark, threatening abyss much like 'outer space.' Just play up that angle.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 12, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It is also full of trash, poison and we are killing and/or eating everything in it.

hence, The Day the Earth Stood Still

I want Mimosa - as he has been appropriately, affectionately dubbed - to literally just do Claude Rains' speech, but with climate change metaphors instead of Atom Age ones.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

By me, I guess.

I really hope it makes Armond White blow his load again. Even Wonder Woman is shaping up to be some serious beefcake.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

TetsuoTW posted:

It's some barely-not-sub-Shyamalamadingdong crap, please don't.

I'm pretty sure Jason Momoa would tell me to let my freak flag fly, not to get hung up on whatever it is you're hung up on.

Get on the love train, dog, you're getting your gay panic all over me.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

TetsuoTW posted:

It's unfunny hack bullshit primarily.

If I could find that loving image of Jason Momoa literally on a beach enjoying a mimosa, I could post it just so I could wordlessly communicate to you what a buzz-kill you're being.

This "hack bullshit" is not a television show made for your amusement - I'm sorry if you don't find drooling over hunks to be funny and can't empathize with drooling over hunks.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

MrJacobs posted:

He said nothing about drooling over hunks. He just made fun of a stupid nickname that you made up. These are not the same thing.

It's, like, the two are actually connected, because all I'm actually doing is drooling over the match made in heaven between John Carpenter-loving James Wan and his potential Starman. "Hack comedy bullshit" is a weird place to come at that from, but Mimosa willing I won't succumb to such cynicism.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hat Thoughts posted:

What is Patrick Wilson? Chopped liver

Completely different category. The real question is, "What drink would he be?"

Mierenneuker posted:

"Let's post a recent Instagram photo from Jason Momoa to add some weight to this discussion."

"Should I add an Aquaman pun? Nah, too obvious."

Truly a man of the people.

I can dig it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This thread makes Jason Momoa sad

Get Mel Gibson on the horn:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Guy A. Person posted:

JoGo's my personal invention, I thought I'd share with the thread to defuse all this tension

False choice. I want the third option - Dynamic tension!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsPy4KBuDi0&t=25s

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Davros1 posted:

Marvel's The Avengers: The Musical

Sit down, Steve!
Sit down, Steve!
For God's sakes, Steve! Sit down!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Conan the Barbarian is almost as good as The Last Temptation of Christ.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The problem with the 'Mark Kermode' meme about how Watchmen adapts the visuals and dialog but not the point is that we don't get any closer to articulating precisely what the point was, or why Watchmen can't have its own point.

It's remarkably like the 1971 film The Point, where there's a scene of an artist who paints a red circle on a white canvas and is immediately kicked out of the academy because he hasn't made a painting that has a literal 'point.' Of course, the subtle joke is that even a painting without a literal point possesses a figurative point, like looking at a cone from a vertical axis so that it only looks like it has no point.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Gorn Myson posted:

SMG and K-Waste, have you watched that huge 4 hour long version with the cartoon added to the run time, and if so do you think thats worth a watch too?

I can do without the Ultimate Cut, only because Tales of the Black Freighter on its own is a good short, and all of that stuff about the news stand doesn't really elucidate or improve the pacing of the movie the way the new stuff in the Director's Cut does.

Honestly, I would have been more partial to the Ultimate Cut completely dropping Tales and replacing it with the faux T.V. special for Under the Hood. That would have been ace.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Of the two versions, only the film is capable of inspiring Anonymous.

It's a movie where the true victim of islamophobia is a rich, white atheist and we entertain fantasies that the NWO/Illuminati are going to shut down The Daily Show with gay Jon Stewart.

The scene where the sea of white faces are taken off to expose a multicultural hivemind is basically the equivalent of the end of The Avengers, where everyone's watching the news and seeing little kids celebrating in Iron Man masks.

edit: The advertisement for Suicide Squad hasn't taken a "hard right turn," per se - It's just entering that 'four quadrant push' faze of its media campaign. It seems what's tripping them up more than anything is they clearly got slapped with a PG-13 that nobody who was involved in a David Ayer production expected. That's a realistically unforeseen consequence of the MPAA rather consistently down-rating superhero movies.

All the comparisons to Deadpool seem kind of inapt, because the way the movie was originally sold was with this operatic frenzy more in keeping with the Nolan Batman films, and it's not like Kick-rear end didn't already establish a prototype of self-referential superhero dark comedy. It seems like all the "Wayne's World" stuff might actually be a more accurate picture of what it always was. Like, come on, who expected the guy who wrote Training Day to not turn in an at least 'above-water' R-rating?

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 20, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It's like Fast & Furious meets Harry Potter or something.

edit: Also, every generic ethnicity is represented - white, Asian, Latino, Black, Native American, and Lizard Person.

(Heck, the most evil guy is literally the whitest.)

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 20, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hodgepodge posted:

Using Dr. Manhattan was an elegant solution to how to present Ozymandias' plan efficiently in a film, and was in its own way quite appropriate thematically. Instead of presenting the world with an outside threat, Ozymandias tricks the world into to recognizing America's trump card in the nuclear standoff as the real problem pushing the world to the brink of suicide.

That is actually a far more lateral solution to the problem than a big space squid.

This. And in its own way, it's actually even more disturbingly empathetic of Ozy's megalomaniacal master-plan than Moore's version, where the character just decides he's going to stoke some good ol' xeno(mor)phobia. It's ultimately the post-9/11, liberal apologetic position that "They wouldn't be this radicalized if it weren't for us!" writ to the cold war scenario, and it starkly complements Rorschach's far-right ideology and the ironic position of the New Statesmen as potential redeemer of the horrific truth.

One thing Snyder is really good at doing is extrapolating the political extremes of the texts which he adapts and reframing them from a deliberately oppositional viewpoint. So Watchmen becomes the version of the story that Alan Moore would have never written, precisely because it's actually a closer adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns and has this jaded, Frank Miller bent.

Alternatively, Batman v Superman is an inverted adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns which deliberately assumes the Christian universalist, utopian position that Miller is too cynical to imagine.

edit: Remember, Snyder's Watchmen is a satire of superhero films, where it's now fairly cliche for this highly contrived, corporate product to frame the initial evils of the world as 'false flag' manipulations or the 'original sin' of the good guys. The point is that self-criticism and conscientious 'commentary' is not the same as earnest change. Indeed, the status quo now is that we are constantly being instructed by Hollywood ideology to see the shape of the world to come as fundamentally a problem of our 'imaginations,' one that only Hollywood can fix.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 21, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The Cameo posted:

Snyder has both an adaptation of The Illustrated Man that he's wanted to do since Sucker Punch, and has gotten his eye on the Ayn Rand screenplay for The Fountainhead, so he wants to pursue that stuff on WB's dime as a "you owe me" for doing the whole DC thing and giving them this whole launching point and probably remaining on as an executive producer and a guy to schmooze creatives onto the projects. Terrio probably has offers to direct screenplays that he's written, and for the most part got sold on even doing these DC scripts by Affleck and Snyder in the first place.

I would kill to see Snyder's The Illustrated Man, or The Fountainhead (which would basically finally be his Starship Troopers), but I think after Sucker Punch (his Showgirls) it's gonna be increasingly difficult for him to ransom studios with blockbusters that also just barely justify their existence financially and utterly polemicize critical and popular response.

edit: Famuyiwa's Flash better be dope. I already know it's gonna be better shot than Ant-Man, and it doesn't even need to go that far to be funnier, but it would be nice if both he, Wan, and Jenkins hit it out of the park just because Snyder could get some good will by proxy.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 21, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm really glad they dropped the Part 1+2 thing. I hate that crap.

I'm actually off the opposite opinion.

We missed out on the superhero version of Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

NikkolasKing posted:

Having never seen a Snyder film, are you saying he'd pull a Verhoeven and make a movie satirizing and condemning what he thinks the book was about?

It'll be a little more advanced than Verhoeven because he'll preoccupy himself entirely with adapting the form of Rand's literature as earnestly as possible, but thus leaving its political and psychological connotations always foregrounded. Meanwhile, if there are any even slightly subtle aspects of Rand's literature, he'll summarize them as reductively as possible, either through really obvious visual innuendo, or through a character just saying a platitude in deadpan.

Actually, I guess it's a little more like early Zucker Bros. without the laugh pause and double-take.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And the point with Batman is not even so much that he's a bad guy, but that he's ineffectual - a boring person resorting to increasingly desperate publicity stunts to maintain his spooky mystique.

Which, along with his and Luthor's obsessive-compulsive 'branding,' is something of a subversive dig at DC/WB even trying to emulate the MCU formula.

It's like Fox's animated tv shows have developed a conspicuous culture of open derision for their parent network.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

greatn posted:

But for kryptonians all sex was viewed as taboo and incestuous, and that view was the reason they went extinct and their society fell. What Lex is doing is trying to ape kryptonians methodology with his own DNA.

But at the same time, the eternal romantic 'partnership' that "Lois & Clark" represents is tethered to an extremely privatized and even formalized notion of 'love.' Within this formula, the ultimate consequence of reproduction is insipidly ignored, leading to satirical Playboy articles about how either Superman is totally impotent or having sex will literally kill Lois. Beavis just frankly foregrounds the fact of a happy sex life between two cosmopolitans, but pre- and post-coitus the pre-eminent concern isn't what the world thinks of Clark, or what the news thinks of Clark, but about how Lois feels about Clark's personal obligations towards her, and vice versa.

From Clark's perspective, Beavis is about realizing 'the personal is political,' that if Lois really means the world to him - and not just in the way of cliche, condescending chivalry - then he will put the world ahead of the fantasy for their eternal relationship... Let's face it, maybe one day that spontaneous, romantic moment in Man of Steel finally flares out.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Clark would not be capable of being Superman with Lois' continual influence on him. I thought the movie made that abundantly clear.

Exactly, but with great power comes great responsibility, which means that the bedrock of 'family' is not the greatest value.

Clark's ghost dad appears before him and warns him about this through a parable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hodgepodge posted:

It would be interesting if BvS were taking a stand against miscegenation, but I'm not sure that's actually what's going on there.

It's not anti-miscegenation. It's more like this dumb thought that I end up finding myself earnestly having every once and a while: "You know, really, the only solution to all these race problems in America is for people to relentlessly intermarry. Maybe even communism forcing neighborhoods to desegregate, tax-benefiting the licensing of interracial marriage," whatever.

The point is that I'm intentionally ignoring the entire political root of racism: That even if we try to eradicate cultural opposition by just loving each other into an 'interstitial,' synthetic group, we are nonetheless only unifying ourselves in a new cultural hegemony where the private sphere of the family and the capitalist individual operates on the level of preeminent moral concern. This will just lead to a new mono-culture, which will in turn have to resort to 'incest' in order to maintain its superficial multicultural identity. The exclusionary cultural paradigm is maintained intrinsically, leading inevitably to stagnation and apocalypse. Furthermore, the subaltern continues to suffer disproportionately for the errors of Western supremacy.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It reminds me of Godzilla '14 in that way.

They are both quite good.

• Locked thread