Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
30 games of no closer at the beginning of the season isn't even that big a deal. The Yankees aren't sure where they stand right out of the gate, and out of all your "every day" players the closer is by far the easiest to sub in for. You can bet if the suspension was handed down in August/September with the Yankees in tight contention for the division he'd be appealing the suspension. Instead they get to make a nice PR move for very little actual pain for the club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

leokitty posted:

Saying the team has no closer because closing option #3 who was designated with the mantle or whatever is extremely goofy.

That's kinda my point. Like, the PR angle of this is "He's the Yankees' new closer and he has given up his right to play in the first 30 games", but the reality is that pretty much any good reliever can fill that role (insofar as baseball managers believe closer needs to be a defined role) and it especially doesn't matter early in the season when you're not even sure if you're a lock to be in the running. It's a completely inconsequential suspension for the yankees but looks good to the general public.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

tadashi posted:

That's sad. There has been a conspiracy theory among Brewers bloggers for a while that they were using an imposter for a while.

They've said on air before straight up that the original hank was loving terrified of all the noise in Miller Park so they found him a home because it was cruel to make him go to ballgames. They've been using a different dog ever since.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I wish I had the money to replace this title someone bought me when they didn't like a dumb joke I made.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Although you can say or do a lot in Baseball and not get fined, just complained at

fines aren't what he's bothered by. it's that brian mccann will punch his dick for admiring his handiwork, or some guy will hit him in the face with a pitch in a game weeks later if he celebrates too enthusiastically after driving in the winning run of a series.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Looks like we're gonna be in philly this June when the Brewers are there. Hotel recommendations? We'd like to have easy public transportation to the park if possible.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
have we talked about prince fielder's sleep apena? cuz lol. put down the tgi fridays dude.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there any organization more dubious than the Orioles that last couple of years?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

He also insists that Severino is destined for the bullpen because he doesn't use his legs enough. I dunno, I like Law but his pitching assessments seem weird.

Isn't that just the sort of arbitrary bananas physical assessment that old-school baseball people love, anyway? Player X can't play 2b because his rear end is too thick, player Y is too tall for shortstop, etc. A respected manager coaches a couple tall guys who were bad short stops and 20 years later its just conventional wisdom.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Harlock posted:

A-Rod going to retire like 10-15 home runs short of the all time record

If he gets close you'd have to think someone would think about offering him a year as a dh.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

That is so lame. I remember Khris Davis talking about how he had to have the finish changed on his bats because MLB said the finish on his original bats was too bright. Who is complaining about this poo poo? What problems is it causing?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Amazing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

god I miss sexy Carlos. eternal greatest Brewer of my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Explosionface posted:

I think the bulk of his hits last year came from now teammate again, John Lackey.

I think it is someone foolish that the Cubs have those two guys now, because the Brewers mashed the poo poo out of both of them in 2014 and based on that tiny sample size I can safely predict that the Cubs will lose all of their games vs the Brewers and not make the postseason.

• Locked thread