Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

In a couple weeks, I'll be going to Spring Training for the first time in my life. :toot:

Other than going to baseball games, which I'll be doing a lot of, does anyone who's gone to Mesa before for Spring Training have any recommendations for stuff to do in the area?

Between Barry Goldwater and Joe Arpaio I assume that Maricopa County had a lot of stuff to hate-visit. Red Mountain Park looks like it might actually be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

MassaShowtime posted:

30 game suspension for being dangerous and human garbage, 80 games for taking hgh so you can stay healthy.

30 games for Chapman for domestic abuse versus 50 for Alex Reyes for pot is more insulting to me, but I'm biased as Cards fan.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Cardinals' C team currently losing 6-1 to FAU. Only other team I know of to lose to a college team in recent memory are the Phillies. Small sample size and all, but I don't like drawing that comparison.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Good Dog posted:

Cards scored 12 in the bottom of the 8th to win 13-6. Spring Training is stupid.

At least it was the same guys. It'd have been hilarious but petty as poo poo if Matheny put in Holliday, Piscotty, etc. just to try to eke out a win. Good for Wisdom, though. I like what I've seen of him so far.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Cards' winning run today was on a wild pitch. Cardinals Bullshit is important to establish early.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

I know baseball is still a month away, but please someone bookmark this and quote me after Samardzija knocks the Cubs out of either the playoff race or the playoffs outright.

I've still got my stockpile of salty Cubs fans' posts in the NLDS game 1 thread decrying Lackey and Heyward. Gonna have some fun with those come the regular season.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

I wanna bust out the posts from the NL wild card game every time a pitch gets away from a Pirates pitcher

Takeout slides by anyone wearing a Pirates jersey. New rule or no, I fully expect some of the Cubs fans on here to be watching Pittsburgh games obsessively for any sign of aggressive sliding given how bitter the topic got between those two fan bases last year.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more Taiwanese major leaguers. Pushing yourself to be the best requires a Taipei personality. :haw:

You are the absolute worst.

Good job.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

resident posted:

Does Avisail move to DH then? If AJ or Eaton can play right it seems like a nice addition by subtraction.

Wanted: Over-the-hill slugger for DH position. Must be paid highest salary on team, hit below Mendoza line. First name of "Adam" a plus.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Waino thinks your brackets all suck. He's better at both real sports and pretend sports than you are.
V: Play this bracket instead against MLB players and hopefully help out Flint at the same time.

https://www.bigleagueimpact.org/ImpactFlint

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

seiferguy posted:

If you want to be a little depressed today, have a read on a (formerly closeted) gay minor leaguer who left the game after only one season because of the homophobia he experienced in the locker room:

http://www.outsports.com/2016/3/16/11243142/gay-baseball-cardinals-tyler-dunnington

God dammit, the Cardinals are just determined to ruin the Cardinals for me this offseason, aren't they?

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 17, 2016

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

seiferguy posted:

Need a definitive list of cool players versus lame players:

Cool:
Bryce Harper
Yaisel Puig
Giancarlo Stanton
Felix Hernandez
Zack Greinke
Jose Bautista
Jose Fernandez

Lame players:
Brian McCann
Mike Trout
Johnathan Papelbon
Gerrit Cole
Anyone who plays for the D-backs (minus Greinke)

It's not lost on me that's there's a clear ethnicity divide here.

Nominating Pence, Cutch, Joe Kelly for Cool Guys.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Harlock posted:

Liking the weather is a hobby fitting of a milquetoast boring white guy

Team nerd Stephen Piscotty and his atmospheric engineering degree from Stanford disagr- my god a boring white guy team? From St. Louis? Why I never! Maybe Piscotty can lure Trout over...

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, no player is gonna say "I'm tired of your goddamn kid being around all the time" in public. And no one will say "yeah I wanted that kid gone" after the fact.

I'm pretty sure John Lackey would.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Julio Cruz posted:

Pawtucket.

To a farm where he and Allen Craig can run free all day.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

#notallfisters

Reminder that the Cubs had a fedora day on 5/3/14. The horrible proof of this is somewhere in my dad's closet downstate. You are not innocent in this.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Scob posted:

i cant wait till the cards and cubs have a giant brawl this season

Eagerly awaiting a Chicagoon baseball meetup turning into a slap fight between me and any number of Cubs fans Bad Opinion Havers when Yadi starts another pointless brawl.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Scob posted:

jose oquendo might miss the entire season due to knee surgery :(

Still rooting for him to get a manager job somewhere. I love the guy but it's time someone gave him a chance.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

will_colorado posted:

If you look at all current active players, who would be the guys that you could say if they retired today, they would be in the hall of fame?

(just their careers up through now, not including projecting anyone out another 10 or 15 years)

Miggy
Pujols
Beltre
Beltran
Ortiz

In order of case strength: Pujols, Beltre, Ichiro, Miggy. For shame, omitting Ichiro.

Ortiz doesn't belong on this list in my opinion, even though he'll get in because narratives. Beltran's borderline, probably hurt his cause in 06 because he struck out looking in the biggest AB of his career. Kershaw might get in if he retired today, just on the strength of the CY awards (if we ignore the 10-year requirement). Beyond that Yadi wouldn't get in from the writers but might get voted in years down the road by committee.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

theacox posted:

Pujols first ballot.
Miggy and Ortiz 2nd or 3rd ballot.
Beltre and Beltran are mostly worthy, but would take time/scrape by in the end.

Beltre's first ballot even if he retires tomorrow, no question in my mind. Maybe only 80% of the votes or so but his numbers are amazing. If Ortiz played for any other franchise I don't think he'd be in the conversation at all, but part of that's probably my personal dislike for him, Boston and the DH all blending into kind of loathing Neapolitan.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

With Beltre the only question is: if you touch his head on his plaque, will he materialize and freak out at you?

Elvis Andrus is going to retire within walking distance of Cooperstown just so he can rub that thing every day. It's going to be like Lincoln's nose in Springfield, only more adorable and with more Habeas Corpus.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Abel Wingnut posted:

what about buehrle?

If he'd had his career with only one team, particularly the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. he'd have a shot. As it is, seriously doubt it. No one season stands out to me, he was just always pretty good for a long time and has a few great games thrown in there.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Nards Pan posted:

But does raise the question of a whether or not Doc gets in. A perfect game and a playoff no-no, some great years and some pretty pedestrian years. It sure would have helped if those lazy rear end Phillies could have gotten him a ring :(

Forever ruined by a Skip Schumaker RBI and an angry, angry man from New Hampshire in one of the greatest pitchers' duels ever.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ChiTownEddie posted:

I dunno dude. The white sox announcer yesterday said "As you can see sometimes ST HR's correlate to regular season, and sometimes they don't."
Seems pretty sound to me.

The White Sox have a proud tradition of absolute bullshit announcers. Heritage, not dementia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Ruben Tejada strained his quad in the final game of Spring Training. Hope everyone's ready for the Gyorko/Garcia experience!

• Locked thread