Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Crimson Sox posted:

you know you're going through baseball withdrawal when you consider watching Reds/Indians ST game at 3PM on a beautiful day

I was definitely thinking of firing up a stream for the Jays game, at least I might recognize one of the players in that.

tadashi posted:

N: Mike Trout got a company to build a smart bat. Or a thing that fits into bats with cut-outs at the end that makes the bat "smart", anyway.

http://www.halosheaven.com/2016/2/29/11133690/mike-trouts-new-smart-bat-is-going-to-impact-baseball-in-a-big-way

V: They went through all that and it doesn't gather any weather readings at all. How disappointing to Mike Trout...

Trout has been repping Zepp for a bit now, it seems like a really cool system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zakharov posted:

:confused: It's not about any specific team, I just found watching meaningless games played by no-hopers to be tedious.

It's probably very contingent on the game. I got to see Cano play in ST in 2005 and it was the best.

I would definitely be happy to go to Yankee games this year, too, given how many of the NRIs are legit prospects.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

I know he'll appeal it (as everyone always does) but I'm glad to see MLB is actually not a horrible moster when it comes to domestic abuse.

I'm actually more interested to see how the Reyes case shakes out given that he's facing criminal charges on it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

will_colorado posted:

Dodgers pitcher Josh Ravin suffered a broken arm in a car accident and tweeted a photo of it:

:nms:http://i.imgur.com/lY2CL8c.jpg

:staredog:

Looks like he skips bicep day but never forearm day...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/1067theFan/status/704670604318810112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Rusty Baker posted:

"In baseball, everybody calls each other by their last name, basically. You don't see a guy's first name on the back of his jersey. And in the military -- I was in the Marines for six years -- you address everybody by their last name. So I'm not good at first names. I call my nephews the wrong names sometimes.

I know the guy's name. I don't know why I called him 'Royce.' Most of us have nicknames, plus I call some of them 'Junior,' I call some of them 'Dude.' They know who I'm talking to. And so Bryce, he called me 'Rusty.' So it's no big deal. My wife goes, 'Why don't you just call him Harp?' I'm like, 'Baby, I don't know if he likes to go by Harp or not. You can't just call a guy some name.'"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Didn't he intend on keeping it and letting it live "the lifestyle of the champion it is" or something? The BBQ must really run thick in his veins.

Apparently there's a law in Florida where animals purchased at auction can't be kept as pets or something.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
N: A-Rod hit a 2-run homer in his first AB of the year.

V:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zakharov posted:

Luis Severino hit Cameron Maybin and broke his wrist. He's out 4-6 weeks. Sorry Tigers friends.

:rip:

Well I mean Maybin kind of moved his hands out there over the plate...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Explosionface posted:

N: Kawasaki sings karaoke at Cubs spring training
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/705806883844587521

V: loving owns

Holy poo poo Pistachio is really the best :swoon:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

If Mateo had legged it out of the box the other day he would have gotten the first one of ST :argh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That'll be 75 million over the next five years.

boyish_wonder.jpeg

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

YeahTubaMike posted:

I definitely want a Mets av, but the Mets aren't nearly as photogenic as the Giants so it's hard. :smith:

Explosionface posted:

N: Apparently a side effect of the revised sliding rules is that Chase Utley won't have to serve that two game suspension he earned in October.

V: I think sitting out two games is the least he could do for breaking a dude's leg, but it was a laughable punishment to begin with.

I don't understand this, the rule was changed after he broke it and his punishment handed down.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

rickiep00h posted:

I've always loved how there's like four or five kids in this pic. Like, little kids.

And the littlest one is loving going for it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wow, that would have been pre-2015 season, too. I'm kind of surprised that the Yankees didn't make at least part of that happen.

EDIT: Oh wait they did, I forgot about Carpenter :downs:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 8, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

CC threw 86 today

On his fastball

Yet the Marlins have 0 hits and CC still managed 2 strikeouts. What the hell is going on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Apparently that Red Sox prospect who got popped for drugs last year broke his pitching hand fighting a teammate

:laffo:

FlamingLiberal posted:

For those not aware this is Michael Kopech

For those still not aware, it's the Sox' #5 ranked prospect.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Koopa Kid posted:

Love the fastball gif where the batter's watching it come in and you can see the exact moment he's like "oh, I'm out"

Nothing tops Pineda's slider gif.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Koopa Kid posted:

It's been a long time since I played baseball but I'm pretty sure abandoning your stance and taking your hand off the bat before the ball is even released isn't a viable strategy.

Tony Phillips posted:

I don't know if it's funnier that it's Dee Gordon doing it or not. Also the lead off at bat for the game.

None of it makes any sense, don't even try.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I wish that site had relievers too. I wanna just watch a Mariano cutter forever in a high-quality gif.

Also I want to see Bryan Mitchell make it up on there too, dude's stuff is amazing when he can locate it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Never forget.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

seiferguy posted:

I'm disappointed you're a Yankee fan and didn't post this:

That was the first thing I thought of, but honestly I think I prefer the A-Rod one.

Moneyball posted:

I doubt he'd punch his own teammate in the dick.

:radcat:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
This has been a terrible week for ex-Yankees making opinions public.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

My money, you can have it MLB

Seriously, that owns.

I can see people getting mad about "Asian Heritage Night" only featuring Japanese and Korean writing though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

Orioles spurned again.

Hey Poque how come you've never read Tanaka's wiki page? Hmmmm?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

shadok posted:

It is a dome, with a retractable roof.

Roof goes open.

Roof goes closed.

Wow, Rogers actually looks a lot better from the air than I thought it would. From ground level it looks like Madison Square Garden Mk2.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more Taiwanese major leaguers. Pushing yourself to be the best requires a Taipei personality. :haw:

:golfclap:

Also I still have lots of fond memories of Chien-Ming Wang :shobon:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Who is/was that pitcher with the weird, possibly illegal, stutter-step off the mound during his delivery? I need to look up gifs of that dude's pitches from that awesome site.

...who is a reliever and so sadly not on the Pitcherlist site.

FanGraphs has written a few articles about Capps, though, and they include a handful of gifs every time: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/carter-capps-has-become-baseballs-most-unhittable-pitcher/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Jon Singleton has struck out 9 times in 20 spring at-bats and is slashing .100/.100/.300

Our first baseman to start the year :toot:

(sample size sample size yes I know but career he's already below the Mendoza line)

Slade Heathcott is having an ugly spring, but then again he's 5th on the OF depth chart at best (probably more like 7 right now.)

I still love him though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Apropos of Goose, here's a Mickey Mantle embarrassing all of the white players, whoever came before him with a batflip.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

Wieters left Baltimore's game against Minnesota yesterday after one inning behind the plate and without taking an at-bat.

Why? Soreness in the elbow he had Tommy John surgery on.

Don't necessarily jump straight to :rip: yet, Domingo German had soreness in his TJS arm earlier this spring and it turned out to be related to scar tissue, not the ligament.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
He also insists that Severino is destined for the bullpen because he doesn't use his legs enough. I dunno, I like Law but his pitching assessments seem weird.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Miami is the only team that can get away with that look.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zakharov posted:

Comparing your prospects to Bryce Harper and Mike Trout will only end in sadness. They are extreme outliers.

Also reminder that your favored prospect is probably already as old as Bryce Harper is right now, and Harper made his debut 3 years ago.

In his entire professional career, he never faced a pitcher younger than him until 2015 (Jacob Lindgren, 5 months younger than Harper. He flew out.)

And Trout's only a year older. Nobody you know right now is going to be as good as them or they'd already be on the 25-man.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

You forgot the part where he complains that replay makes it so managers can't go out and yell at umpires and kick up dirt anymore (which isn't true anyway?):

I partially agree with him there, manager meltdowns are fun as heck.

IcePhoenix posted:

White Sox should be careful, we already know what happened the last time a Chicago team wouldn't let a kid in the park.

:vince:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Inspector_666 posted:

Barry and Giancarlo at Miami.

Ichiro, when the dinger machine fell.

:getin:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
On one hand, Mike Trout says he doesn't care to flip his bat.

On the other, his hobby outside of baseball is amateur meteorology.

I'm gonna say Mike Trout is still p cool.

Also how are you gonna leave Brandon McCarthy off the Cool Guys list? :cmon:

Patrick Spens posted:

Nah, Trout's unflinching dedication to "playing the game the right way" is actually cool and good, and why he is better than Harper.

It's boring if everybody batflips and fistpumps, just like it's boring if nobody does.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 17, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also how is there no loving video of the Bartolo BP HR?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Moneyball posted:

We have this Pablo Sandoval. World Series MVP. Who says no?

Do the White Sox need outfielders? Because BOY HOWDY DO WE GOT OUTFIELDERS!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I really want to see a Yankees/Jays game where Stroman and Severino are starting.

Ice To Meet You posted:

Spring stats are totally predictive, right?

Well Dustin Ackley hasn't struck out a single time in ST so I'm declaring him fixed. (He also hasn't walked a single time.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

The Yasiel Puig Rule.

If Kiermaier or Pillar robs you, there is nothing to be ashamed of, is the unwritten part of the rule (enforced by McCann, of course.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Crimson Sox posted:

N: Rafael Soriano retires
V: Mariners fans rejoice

I will always have fond memories of him un-tucking his shirt after a save :unsmith:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 18, 2016

• Locked thread