Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
They should put the statue out in the cove, tbh. If someone hits it with a dinger, it should light up like the Marlins dinger machine to honor his new team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Gorman Thomas posted:

Speaking of Skinny Barry, did the Millville Meteor or the Millville Meat-eater show up to camp this year.

No, but apparently he's using a "smart bat" which suspiciously looks corked: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25502565/mike-trout-is-using-a-smart-bat-to-improve-his-swing-in-spring-training

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A "3"-6-3 double play:

http://m.imgur.com/kr4ZqQv?r

Since the camera work is wonky, here's what happened: the ball hit off the shin of the 1st basemen so hard and magically rolled right to the shortstop at 2nd base and allowed them to complete the double play.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Then there's this guy:

Goddamn Brett Farve aged horribly.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Danny Hultzen, the former #2 overall pick by the Mariners, who's never pitched in the majors because of major injuries got converted into a reliever this offseason. Today he's feeling stiffness in his shoulder.

I think he's pretty much toast at this point.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Inspector_666 posted:

Never forget.

I'm disappointed you're a Yankee fan and didn't post this:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Doublepost, but I just really felt the need to re-post this:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
“I’ll tell you what has happened, these guys played Rotisserie baseball at Harvard or wherever the gently caress they went and they thought they figured the loving game out. They don’t know poo poo."

The hottest of takes.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One of the scrappiest, grittiest players not named David Eckstein retired today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/williebloom/status/708394578777255936

He does it in the most disrespectful way possible, hitting a dinger and flipping a bat. Shameful.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The last Mariner prospect to pan out was Kyle Seager, and he was never supposed to have this much upside. Every single major Mariner prospect under the Jack Z regime crashed and burned (or was traded). I'm not sure how much of it was "baseball" and how much of it is "holy poo poo the Mariners can't develop prospects." Taijuan Walker could probably be an okay #3 SP, so that's nice, I suppose.

In other Mariner news, they released Justin De Frautus, who apparently had worse velocity in spring than he did at the end of last season.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Moneyball posted:

Adam Jones seems to have panned out. But yeah, traded.

Adam Jones was prior to Jack Z's tenure, hence why I didn't count him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you want to be a little depressed today, have a read on a (formerly closeted) gay minor leaguer who left the game after only one season because of the homophobia he experienced in the locker room:

http://www.outsports.com/2016/3/16/11243142/gay-baseball-cardinals-tyler-dunnington

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Also, Goose isn't quite done with his hot takes:

quote:

“Now you sit there for five minutes and wait for a f—ing replay. And half the time, you can’t even tell.

“Who’s died in the last 100 years because of a bad call? They say, ‘Well, they lost a World Series and the kid lost his perfect game.’ I said, ‘Who died?’ Leave the human element in the game. You cannot take the human element out of baseball because it is the fabric of the game.”

“It’s a shame, it breaks my heart to see the direction this game is going, What, do we want a bunch of Cam Newtons running around? So, if no one keeps it in check, which there is no one keeping it in check . . .”

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Inspector_666 posted:

I partially agree with him there, manager meltdowns are fun as heck.

The knowledge that managers and umpires partially collude with meltdowns is great. When a manager goes out there and is like "hey, I need to get ejected to fire my team up" and the ump is like "well, act the part, I need a reason to throw you out" kind of makes it funny. If we're gonna go the Bryce Harper route to make baseball more exciting, we really should be allowing managers to flip out at umps. When the Mariners were bad in the 90s, you could at least count on Lou losing his poo poo at an umpire.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Need a definitive list of cool players versus lame players:

Cool:
Bryce Harper
Yaisel Puig
Giancarlo Stanton
Felix Hernandez
Zack Greinke
Jose Bautista
Jose Fernandez

Lame players:
Brian McCann
Mike Trout
Johnathan Papelbon
Gerrit Cole
Anyone who plays for the D-backs (minus Greinke)

It's not lost on me that's there's a clear ethnicity divide here.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jose Oquendo posted:

What makes Gerrit Cole lame?

He's an enforcer and has thrown at people for showboating. Which brings me to my next person...

Popete posted:

lol at forgetting Carlos Gomez on the cool list.

Yeah that's a big miss. Whoops.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Inspector_666 posted:

Also how are you gonna leave Brandon McCarthy off the Cool Guys list? :cmon:

Look, it was a hastily assembled list. I needed to crowdsource for answers.

edit: I even forgot Ichiro. drat.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If I was a major league player, I don't think I'd want a 14-year old kid in the locker room with me at all times.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Crimson Sox posted:

N: Rafael Soriano retires
V: Mariners fans rejoice

Why would I rejoice? He was cool and good, and just an unfortunate victim of one of Bavasi's many bad trades.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MassaShowtime posted:

Being able to bring your kid to work everyday and then not is not really trivial though.

I find it pretty problematic when Adam gets to be the one to bring his kid to work every day including road trips where I'm sure there's plenty of other players on the team that are parents that would love to see their kids more often. I think Kenny is 100% right here.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tender Bender posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this was brought about by a couple players privately complaining about having a 14 year old kid hanging around every day and Williams trying to do something about it without anticipating the blowback.

Yeah, no player is gonna say "I'm tired of your goddamn kid being around all the time" in public. And no one will say "yeah I wanted that kid gone" after the fact.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Given what we learned about Adam's politics he should have been named Lyndon.

I just want to let you know I understood this joke and I appreciate it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Inspector_666 posted:

So I know you guys like tacos, but how do you feel about cheesesteaks?

This guy looks depressed as hell to be wearing a cheesesteak hat :(

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Popete posted:

Angel Hernandez is one of the umps. Can we leave him there?

He's of Cuban descent, isn't he? Makes sense for him to be there, then.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Obama left the game in the 4th inning. I guess he finds baseball to be a tired sport too.

He apparently also participated in the wave, so I'm wondering when the impeachment begins.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Houston MRAstros.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
At least when Carlos Correa gets older, he can keep the beard that he grows.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Even when he's not wearing a fedora his fashion sense is... intresting

Here's King James wondering wtf

LeBron is probably wondering why there's a naked man standing behind Carlos.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Barry and A-Rod being manager / bench coach might just be the greatest thing that baseball fans would never appreciate.

Edit: second greatest. No one appreciated Bonds' 73 dingers enough.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure Randy_Johnson_Kills_A_Bird.gif was the very first non-Geocities animated gif on the internet.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MrMojok posted:

Ok since everyone else just breezed past it as though they understood it, I have to ask-- what in the gently caress were the Koreans doing hopping on one leg? Is it like a dance fight or something?

It was a charity baseball game, and the fight was scripted.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Mariners apparently dumped Jesus Montero. His locker has been cleared out. Whether it's been DFA'd, or a trade remains to be seen, but he's out of options. There goes another bad Jack Z trade.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

Jesus Montero was put on waivers. Remember to trade all your prospects.

https://twitter.com/KlawThoughts/status/714255041054568448/photo/1

edit: I realize this is a parody account but nonetheless...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In his first full season, Jesus Montero hit 15 home runs, so anything is possible!

RIP in pieces, you (not so anymore) fat man that Jack Z desperately thought could make you into a legitimate catcher.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My votes for HoF would be Pujols, Ichiro and Beltre for sure. Kershaw, Felix, and maybe Greinke if they continue at their rate. Same with Trout and Harper.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A-Rod's girlfriend is only two years older than him, come on guys

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think the biggest troll A-Rod could do is retire and then buy out the Mariners, and turn them into contenders.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

bewbies posted:

Apparently Cueto is at a 9.58 ERA/.347 OBA in 10 AAA innings? I know its small sample size etc but that's kinda rough. I hope his arm is ok :(

When people say "Spring training stats don't matter" it's doubly so for pitchers. They usually aren't throwing at full strength (nor should they), and they aren't mixing in off speed pitches as much. For someone like Cueto who's pretty established, he's not really a concern.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

davecrazy posted:

I've been actively ignoring spring training and it's done wonders. Still ready for a huge letdown season though.

Hell, :agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Opening day is Monday and the Mariners are playing at 1pm, what the hell. I'm at work then :(

• Locked thread