Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
I see I've missed MrChips running (and winning) a successful 1975 challenge. That's alright I suppose, I was getting burnt out on the idea after all those false starts.

The BRC youtube videos are shockingly cool. I hope they implement something like that into the actual game. Any clue on when a new round of brobot races would be starting? I went and registered on the forums, but haven't had a chance to look any closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Riso posted:

By the way, minimum pit stop time at the 24h of Nurburgring was a mandated three minutes!

Oh, I like that idea. Maybe not three minutes, but it's a solid rule vs pure guzzlers.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Riso posted:

Second test. https://youtu.be/lfk9iLZI6QA

Something's way off there because the car I sent was doing 2:12s in-game.

That seems to be the case all around though. Mine was running something like 2:11.3 on ATT ingame and then 2:12.5 on the test.

The top speed at the long straight before the sweeping curve is also like 25km/h slower than I had ingame. Could be weight of fuel or something.

The NA seems to be doing alright on ATT, but I am likely to test with Sports tires for reduced wear next... And seriously have to consider going turbocharged for the faster tracks. NA just doesn't seem to cut it on the straights.

I should also mention for anyone going for the Pantera that it seemed to be about 1000 automadollars more expensive than the wedge and notporsche when I did my first tests.

Edit: Christ, Betonschleife is basically two kilometre long straights. Kassel Calden is literally a couple of loving airport runways. Diepholz and Norisring could be OK depending on what versions will come... Or could also be a couple of straightaways glued together. And then there's Spa.

Edit 2: Actually the speeds on the straight are closer together now, except for Puffster's infernal machine of course. I was being worried about Leo's and Riso's 250+km/h speeds but you've toned it down for economy it seems.

Duuk fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 1, 2016

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Riso posted:

Sure, tyre wear and fuel do affect the car but 1.6s? I'll have to send it again to see if it wasn't a fluke. The first car with turbo I sent had pretty much what I expected from the game but lol pitting every 12 laps.

Races are going to be 90 minutes and one stopping wasn't really worth it last time in 66. Also the turbos have to be considerably faster to be worth the additional stops. On that note, the first test turbos were all better. On time and/or fuel consumption.

If you got the same time with your turbo in the test as you did ingame, then something is seriously hosed. My NA has lost more than a second in the transition on both tests.

Excel tells me even with my NA which COULD run with one pit, tire wear on slicks will make two stops considerably better. I'll see what sports tires bring, though obviously this is a non issue where the weather changes. "Maximum track stay" will maybe be competitive in Norisring, Mainz and Kassel-Calden. Otherwise, one or two stops (or possibly more if you've built something absurdly fast) will be the way to go. Probably two.

FYI I'm HowlerAutomotive on Discourse.

Duuk fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 2, 2016

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Anyone know where to find the ATT lua file? I want to make a flying lap version for testing and it doesn't seem to be in the tracks folder.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Riso posted:

What it made me realise is that we're all optimising our cars for maximum performance at the minimum weight. So when you add additional weight for the fuel, it throws a lot of our optimisations into disarray, from brake pads to suspension setup.

Maybe we should tune our cars at the higher weight point. It will not be as quick as it could be in qualifying but our race pace should improve.

That does seem to be the case.

Tuning somewhere at the midpoint between empty weight and weight with the max amount of fuel you'll expect to be using would then be optimal. Frankly I'm not sure I can be bothered because to do it properly I'd have to optimise at midweight, then verify at min and max that nothing is thrown off by too much and... at the end of the day maybe gain a tenth per lap on average (because 50-70kg of fuel is still 50-70kg of fuel no matter how you optimise). In a race that tenth can be huge but I will not have such amount of time spend on this.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Riso posted:

Are you guys optimising your gearing for sectors two and three? I was told there's no point looking at the first sector because of the running vs standing start difference.
I tried a few settings but only found 0.05s in S2/3 at best.

I think I got similar results, though it was a few days ago that I last had a chance to fiddle with the car.

Ultimately a standing start isn't all that different from accelerating out of a tight chicane.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Riso posted:

The big difference is that you are already moving in the hairpin or chicane.

But "zero to forty" acceleration isn't something you would need to optimise for. If your car is at home in the twisties starting from a 40km/h chicane, it'll be fine accelerating from 0 as well. So the 1st sector time may not be precise but it's still reasonably good at describing your twisties performance. Especially since there is only one standing start but several corners.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Riso posted:

How do people get better performance on sports tyres than me on slicks?
What's the sport tyre secret to car setup so you don't lose 2s?

I do lose about 1.5s on sports. But considering the longevity it seems worth it.

I'm stunned at leo's results though. It seems the car is fairly hard to drive but the speed with which it goes around is nuts.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Riso posted:

You know what doesn't make sense?
Me sending the car with sports tyres and then instead of losing 1s/lap like I expect it's the same speed to the semi-slicks one.

There's something hosed in either the simulation or the game. It's been mentioned in the thread with the top speeds. Also, some cars are slower than their ingame times, or about as fast and some cars are actually faster.

I expect the simulation is complicated enough that either Der Bayer doesn't have any idea what's wrong either, or he doesn't have access to the code for the live version or it's just so much work that he can't reasonably check it in the time available.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Good race, guys!

When the first crash happened I thought it was all over. More than 40% damage and I had my first stop limited to a fair bit later so that set the tone for the rest of the race. All catching up, all the time. The other crash was luckily lighter. And then the unplanned stop because the rain and safety car meant progress was slower than anticipated... Nnngh... But obviously I can't really complain because it ended with the perfect result. Which was lucky in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

MrChips posted:

A big congratulations to our very own Duuk for winning the overall title in the BRC 1976 Challenge!

extreme_accordion posted:

Awesome! Go Goons!

Thanks! This being my first time entering the challenge I wasn't sure how well it'd turn out - but the car proved to be solid and I ducked the worst of (all kinds of) incidents.