Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Well I guess I'll be checking out the stream this weekend. Thanks for the link!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Riso - same Riso in the BRC then?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Riso posted:

Fyi that retarded weight/capacity calculation is from a genuine real life set of rules.

Yeah I'm really not following that calculation. The curve graph helps for the NA/Turbo stuff though.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Could you guys walk us through an example of that ruleset for that competition?
I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around those graphs.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Riso posted:

On the first page are several ways to figure out that weight limit and at the bottom is a good spreadsheet you can download where you just enter your cars weight or the engine size: http://automationgame.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=103164#p103164

Once you got the engine size/weight you can take any body available between 1965-1976 to make it go fast.

Don't forget to grab this mod pack http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=469666352 to get some good new car bodies.

Edit: You might want to limit your suspension camber to -1.7 at most btw, beyond that the degradation gets really bad in brobot.
Also -15 quality on the body in the beginning is never a bad idea to drop weight and gain money.

You absolutely must remember to use the following tool to export your car and send it to Der Bayer https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4x5S3wQzQFlQXBoM0lOTDlfUGM/view?usp=sharing

Made easy - thanks Riso.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I'll be trying to gin up an entry and have it submitted by Sunday.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Does the tire formula mean all tire qualities need to be 0?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Yeah I won't be entering - I cannot get a car that I like out of the 2:30 range.
I do like the idea behind the race but the wedges are boring to me and that seems to be the route a number of people have gone.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Next time I'll have to submit an entry and share specs with you guys in order to work the system a bit better to find an optimum for the given event.
A win is a win even if it isn't mine alone :D

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Seems cool enough but we are then raising the bar on entry without some good explanation to those new to it. As an example: The BROBOT stuff seems pretty impressive with the pit ins, visual simulation, lap count, etc. What threw me off is no easy way to calculate fuel consumption in order to determine your pit strategy. After reading several linked posts I still couldn't make heads or tails of how to calculate fuel consumption within the confines of the BROBOT sim so I just did not submit my entry. Looking back on it I would have had a low top tier to middling entry but without being able to determine pit and fuel who knows. Supporting sheets or tools would go a long way to help determine what a team would need as a driver and pit strategy (assuming you are adding this to your sim) given the added variable of: driver.

Additionally if the '89 specs are posted we could begin building cars to throw at the previous version of your sim in some fashion with the three variants of: FR MR RR to help you develop your model.

AKA I'm bored and want to start building cars to a spec.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Riso posted:

No challenges to your liking on the official forums?

One less forum to read or watch :P

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Riso posted:

Alright the final race of BRC season was Wednesday.
I nearly forgot about it as soon as I read the announcement on Tuesday evening but I just got there to watch the race.

And what a race it was, with the commentators at the edge of their seats watching a wet Donington.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRYM-FMAoiQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ir9Sxh0lBc

2nd in points for the season?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Looks promising even at this stage of it. Any challenges happening on the board worth being interested in?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

Not at the moment...BRC 1976 proper will probably be starting sometime in the not-too-distant future. Also, my SASC-89 challengr should drop sometime in July...and before that, there will be a mini-challenge to design the second chassis to be used in the prototype challenge class.

I foresee many phallic submissions.
What?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Which one is purple, which one is blue? I can sort of tell but they switch colors on me. (I can actually tell but have a heck of a time with it). ROYGBIV me please :D

For the second graph are we saying a prototype engine is more reliable in 89 than a production econo model over a 24hr period?

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 1, 2016

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Duuk posted:

Oh, I like that idea. Maybe not three minutes, but it's a solid rule vs pure guzzlers.

Well depending on the era a long race like le mans still has stops for driver change, fuel, and tires that go into the 2 minute territory.

CHUMP car has a 5 minute stop rule for fuel and a minimum 2 minute stop rule if memory serves.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

It will come before the main challenge; things have been a little slow in that regard, as I have had real life intervene for the last couple of weeks or so, plus I am redoing some of the stuff I had in the model to make it simpler and easier to work with.

plus sheep game

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
May I ask what car bodies you are using? I see that it's set for 76 with the vehicle body being within the last 11 years.
Does this mean we could go back as far as 65 for available body styles?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

I should also mention that this collection will be allowed in my upcoming challenge.

Cool! Wish there was a way to turn certain parts off.

Something is wrong with the community hub - it is absolutely not loading up for me.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 30, 2016

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
2:18 on a test lap - obviously not all that competitive. Going to work on it.
Everyone using the notporsche?
Also - traction - I cannot get a car to get less than 20% wheel spin in most cases.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 1, 2016

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Riso posted:

Probably. Although you should watch out for Der Bayer. It's a wedge 2.0. A turbo that has fuel for 20 laps, sports tyres that last 20 laps and lap times of <2:13.

Post some images of the car so we can give tips. Also you might want to try the official chant on irc.afternet.org #automationgame

Usually gets going late Euro afternoon.

Ok so I'm not far off in engine capacity with where I've been. I just need to recreate it.
I was able to create a 1770cc turbo motor putting out 320hp and a reliability of 57.
Could not keep tires under the car (32% wheel spin) or 0-62 time of 14 seconds.
I probably need to have a far heavier frame and do something about tire width.
With the notporsche I had a 260hp motor putting me in the 2:25 range and I couldn't make min weight.
I've been through so many ideas and I've seen your customer car so I know I'm hitting around the right area.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
It's nice to know that where I'm thinking I need to be is correct. I've had better success with cast iron block and head. Any validity to that?
I'm always trying the mini-cooper body or the golf body hence the small displacement motor. I'll go to the V6 or V8 that I was finding better success with.
Thanks for the gearing and tyres/tires and other advice.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
you know I don't see the rules explicitly banning 4wd....

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Bavarian Body Style gets me a respectable 2:16.
NotPorsche can get into 2:14.

I absolutely don't understand suspension tuning.
I need a good light car to take advantage of my 240hp 2.0L....

And just ran my piece of garbage through the tool and it's nearly double the cost reported on the overview.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 7, 2016

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
So how does this idiot submit his care for addition to the next test day?

Sigh... in the rules book you dummy not the thread.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 7, 2016

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Well got my 2:16 second car in. Can we discuss suspension tuning for FR setups?
I'm a total failure with the MR notporsche

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I can't see 4 seconds being worth 0.7L of displacement and weight but when in Rome...

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Riso posted:

How do people get better performance on sports tyres than me on slicks?
What's the sport tyre secret to car setup so you don't lose 2s?

I would have to think softer springs is the difference between slip and grip but again I'm terrible with the suspension setups.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
After yesterdays test I switched from semi slicks to sport.
Dropped the camber to around 1.7 I think and I'm only showing 2 seconds off my pace and 1 second off my quickest.
My tires went off so fast in the test that I dropped 6-8 seconds off of pace after setting a 2:16.

Doing a 911 2.7L TT V6 making about 460
No front aero
225 265
geared for around 24% tire spin and a 0-62 time of about 5.8-6.5.
My fuel consumption was ridiculously low in my opinion with a 4.62km/l rating - but as Riso keeps saying - it's all in the cam.
Given what I saw for tire wear I'm thinking that being middle of the pack with good fuel and tire is going to win the day.

Off to the Vintage races this weekend at Road America.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I should have been on sports this last run - I'm no longer certain.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Welcome to my world! I get UVMesh errors and LUA errors all the time.
Constantly having to reinstall the game data.

Ah gently caress me... my engine fuel map and performance is all screwed up now.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 20, 2016

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Well I decided that I would change to my NA car. Base it's already (on average) 2 seconds faster than my turbo car.

Now I have to calculate fuel consumption and tire use. It's going to be horrendous.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Riso posted:

I think I solved my uvmesh problem.

The cocksuckers included a workshop mod into the base game without mentioning it. The mod author removed it from the steam workshop and thought that was it. But you still are subscribed to the loving item and it keeps redownloading.

I'm at a loss because I thought I submitted my turbo car two weeks ago...
Today's stats should be my NA car, but without knowing what car ran I can't tell and today's stats are exactly like last weeks but perhaps less tire/tyre wear.

Fuel consumption and lap time seem reasonably close to the other tests. Evidently I can make a very fuel efficient motor.
Now if I could just got a dang chassis to move about the track and not eat rubber...

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Well let's suss it out and bring it to his attention in a reasonable non-ape way?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I'm so mad because I had to run with that V8. I had a 2.7L DOHC TT V6 that was producing similar results and using 100g/kWh less (14 or 15% fuel eco) and producing 385 hp or better and then the file blew up... rage. rage. rage.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
My car sucks all the way around imo. I was #2 in one of the runs in least fuel consumed per lap and had a lap time of 2:15 or so on my TTV6.
It was tested in test 4 or 5 but eats rubber like a pig so who knows. When I talk fuel consumption I'm talking where the it is out near redline, not the dip in the graph.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Yeah! I'm 1st in the over the 1:00 mark entrants.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Riso posted:

Might be interesting to set a stop around minute 50 to make sure there's no more rain but I am not sure what % that is in the stupid brc tool.

I spent about 30 minutes with that thing and reading up on other strategies and blah blah blah. 20 40 60 80! Let it rip!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Thanks Riso I'm beginning to get it now that I see how it works in the race.
I'm filling with around <20kg of fuel with the 4 stop or whatever when if I went with a full tank 1 stop strategy I'd be more than likely to stop less and lose less time.

Great race Chips and I believe Howler!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Riso in 13? nice there too