Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
What kind of sick gently caress hates milk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This LP inspired me to start playing Stardew Valley. Thanks, Lord Hippoman! I haven't played a Harvest Moon game since Friends of Mineral Town.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Hey! :saddowns: Well, I just don't like the taste much, so I only drink it with cereal or mixed into protein shakes and stuff like that. Chocolate milk is great, though.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh yeah, one thing I don't like about RF3 (I don't know if it's the same in here) is that you need to manually carry axed logs to the log storage. ... I actually don't think you can take logs out of storage, so even if you have 1000 logs in log storage but no stumps/sticks in sight or any logs in the inventory then you're out of luck if you need one.

You're right, and I think that does make carrying lumber -> depositing it better than it automatically getting stored and you having to retrieve it. I can't think of a good way to make it work without over-complicating RF's stacking and one-action-button system. It helps that you don't need a ton of lumber, either; I have 4 barns and almost all the furniture and never went on a chopping spree, just cleaning out the fields once a month (which gives you free seeds and stuff for using in the pharmacy anyway).

Anyway, Hippo, just wanted to say thanks for soldiering on :patriot: , there's absolutely no way I would've kept playing after seeing just how long the game locks progress. I barely made it through RF2 far enough to get married and see how that all works, and reading that it's another couple months before the "real game" starts made me drop that like a bad habit too.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Wayne posted:

You're right, and I think that does make carrying lumber -> depositing it better than it automatically getting stored and you having to retrieve it. I can't think of a good way to make it work without over-complicating RF's stacking and one-action-button system. It helps that you don't need a ton of lumber, either; I have 4 barns and almost all the furniture and never went on a chopping spree, just cleaning out the fields once a month (which gives you free seeds and stuff for using in the pharmacy anyway).

What I'd do is make an action point on the log storage spawn chopped wood next to you rather than you picking it up directly. You press the button X times, then go to the spawn point to grab all the wood. Is there a reason to hold wood except for crafting (and a present for RAINBOW)?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Oh yeah, and then put like a ledger off to the side to check how much lumber you have, like the book you can interact with in the barn. That probably would be easier. And I had no idea Daria wants that, I just gave her colored grass (and jam/jam rolls for special occasions).

I also forgot until just now (skimming back a bit and seeing Sharron), that my brother and I streamed Awakened Fate Ultimatum recently, and one of the girls' choice of accessory looked really familiar:

It's lace instead of [presumably] metal, but it seemed pretty similar and they're pretty similar characters; weirdo outsiders and all that. Just something we found interesting.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
This game, thankfully, does not make you actually manually store the logs. I just get a +1 or +10 to my wood total after chopping.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Zavier did lock Donnel in a room with a Chimera, and he refuses to bathe. Zavier's just gross in general.

Solumin posted:

This LP inspired me to start playing Stardew Valley. Thanks, Lord Hippoman! I haven't played a Harvest Moon game since Friends of Mineral Town.

Stardew is really good! Glad I could help with that, because this game is basically Stardew Valley Version .01.

Wayne posted:

I also forgot until just now (skimming back a bit and seeing Sharron), that my brother and I streamed Awakened Fate Ultimatum recently, and one of the girls' choice of accessory looked really familiar:

That is oddly specific. Is that like, a trope in Japan? I know I made a joke about the "100 Year Old Eggs" back in FE12 and that turned out to be a real thing people make and eat, so I might just be missing some sort of cultural context with elaborate neck jewelry.

Or Sharron's just weird. It could always just be that Sharron's weird.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Stardew is really good! Glad I could help with that, because this game is basically Stardew Valley Version .01.

It's like a Harvest Moon game with modern quality-of-life features and actual depth.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

That is oddly specific. Is that like, a trope in Japan? I know I made a joke about the "100 Year Old Eggs" back in FE12 and that turned out to be a real thing people make and eat, so I might just be missing some sort of cultural context with elaborate neck jewelry.

Or Sharron's just weird. It could always just be that Sharron's weird.

Well, I mean, America even has cage chokers. I don't know if it's cultural so much as just a very unusual but still extant fashion choice.

EDIT:

Fashion be weird, yo.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Well, I mean, America even has cage chokers. I don't know if it's cultural so much as just a very unusual but still extant fashion choice.

EDIT:

Fashion be weird, yo.

Not gonna lie, I'd wear all of these cage chokers/necklaces, but I have a gothic lolita streak in my heart a mile wide.

As someone who's gotten past the lumber grind, it gets better! Its...well, its more grinding but with other skills. And monster drops. I was about to start a list of what monsters I'd need to hunt for drops, and when I opened up my copy of the guide I found my old handwritten notes for that exact purpose, except they're almost 10 years old now. My habits haven't changed I suppose.

The one thing I'm starting to wish for, which the later RF games, have, is the ability to buy materials. Now that money is no contest I wish I could just purchase stacks and stacks of iron to work on grinding rather than going in the mines.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Funny thing, one of the things Stranger Things reminded me of is how living in a small/farming town is like and how none of the harvest moon games really catch that too well. Stardew Valley is a little better but still not really close.

I guess it has something to do with it mostly being done by nostalgic city slickers I guess? I mean, most of them don't involve poo poo, death and only limited alcoholism. Like, livestock farming is completely different from the way the games operate, though I suppose that might be to keep them light-hearted, as I don't think that having to buy the 'Bolt Gun' tool to get meat would be super popular.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Funny thing, one of the things Stranger Things reminded me of is how living in a small/farming town is like and how none of the harvest moon games really catch that too well. Stardew Valley is a little better but still not really close.

I guess it has something to do with it mostly being done by nostalgic city slickers I guess? I mean, most of them don't involve poo poo, death and only limited alcoholism. Like, livestock farming is completely different from the way the games operate, though I suppose that might be to keep them light-hearted, as I don't think that having to buy the 'Bolt Gun' tool to get meat would be super popular.

Yyyyyeah, these games are to farming what Team Fortress is to warfare. In other words, it's just a "gloss" to apply to a set of game mechanics.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I guess it has something to do with it mostly being done by nostalgic city slickers I guess?

Just calling attention to this part because it is probably true. Why do you think there're so many games about high school by people going through their mid-life crises? The nostalgia for a better and purer time that [if we're honest] was never really like that in the first place is strong, and video games are escapist fantasy. So the question is really "Why aren't more games set in an idyllic place and time where you spend time however you want and make an honest and fulfilling living" and the answer is "Because they don't make very much money." :v:

But other than that, seriously, the HM/RF games are idealistic and escapist like crazy. Especially RF, where you're always some intrinsically special individual (monster or Earthmate) who gets to vanquish monsters, make friends with crazy people and hook up with your choice of cute anime lady. Deconstructing Rune Factory would be an astounding case of missing the point.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm not sure about the RF games, but the HM series is definitely geared towards kids. So I doubt the devs want to include all that in a children's video game.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Ugh, can you imagine? I wouldn't be bothered conceptually by adding the nitty gritty of farm life to a game, but that means you're going to have to set aside time every in-game day to shovel poo poo, slaughter livestock, and keep all your ingredients fresh. These games are already super monotonous and repetitive, and I almost never end up doing any actual farming in them because farming is time intensive, even with upgrades.

The best thing Stardew does (or steals?) is having sprinklers that'll water crops every day. Not having to worry about plants except planting them and picking them leaves you so much time to do actually fun things.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Random_Username posted:

Ugh, can you imagine? I wouldn't be bothered conceptually by adding the nitty gritty of farm life to a game, but that means you're going to have to set aside time every in-game day to shovel poo poo, slaughter livestock, and keep all your ingredients fresh. These games are already super monotonous and repetitive, and I almost never end up doing any actual farming in them because farming is time intensive, even with upgrades.

The best thing Stardew does (or steals?) is having sprinklers that'll water crops every day. Not having to worry about plants except planting them and picking them leaves you so much time to do actually fun things.

I'd only accept a poop shoveling mechanic if it was like Dark Souls, and you could use them as weapons to inflict horrible poison on both your enemies and yourself.

There are no sprinklers in this game, at least. Maybe in the future Rune Factories, I haven't played them. You can get monsters to water crops for you, but IIRC, they're bad at it and miss spots, plus they'll only do crops in your field, not caves. The spotty watering may just have been a case of me failing to raise FP much, though.

It's kinda worth noting that it's hard to find a lot of information on Rune Factory 1 online. It's a weird transfer from when I did Fire Emblem and could just have detailed stats/information on every character and map in the game, even in one of the lesser known/played games in the series.

The best site I've found for it, and the one I've been using for all the monster info, etc., is here: http://fogu.com/hm/rune_factory/ , although even that is missing some stuff.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
What kind of info are you talking about?

I tried looking in RF4's data once and uh, had quite a difficult time discerning what was even what. So if you're looking for concrete details that isn't obvious from the game itself, I doubt you'll have an easy time finding it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

LordHippoman posted:

There are no sprinklers in this game, at least. Maybe in the future Rune Factories, I haven't played them.
No sprinklers in 4, but eventually your watering can is upgraded enough that watering an entire field takes 5 seconds. Good enough for me.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Wayne posted:

But other than that, seriously, the HM/RF games are idealistic and escapist like crazy. Especially RF, where you're always some intrinsically special individual (monster or Earthmate) who gets to vanquish monsters, make friends with crazy people and hook up with your choice of cute anime lady.

Can't marry the dragon in RF4, had to settle for Bootleg Saber, entire series rated 0/10. :colbert:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yyyyyeah, these games are to farming what Team Fortress is to warfare. In other words, it's just a "gloss" to apply to a set of game mechanics.
good av/post

Wayne posted:

Just calling attention to this part because it is probably true. Why do you think there're so many games about high school by people going through their mid-life crises? The nostalgia for a better and purer time that [if we're honest] was never really like that in the first place is strong, and video games are escapist fantasy. So the question is really "Why aren't more games set in an idyllic place and time where you spend time however you want and make an honest and fulfilling living" and the answer is "Because they don't make very much money." :v:

But other than that, seriously, the HM/RF games are idealistic and escapist like crazy. Especially RF, where you're always some intrinsically special individual (monster or Earthmate) who gets to vanquish monsters, make friends with crazy people and hook up with your choice of cute anime lady. Deconstructing Rune Factory would be an astounding case of missing the point.
There's a lot of good stuff about farm work. It's concrete, it's doesn't lead to the alienation that a lot of white collar work does and you're doing something with both yer body and mind. It's not perfect but it can deffo be sweet

As for stuff like chores, that's why you'd add systems to deal with them, like grandkids or workers and other things. Means more character interaction and as for food staying fresh, I dunno, what you can't freeze usually keeps a while if it ain't et or sold. I have like, 30 kilos of blueberries that have accumulated in my freezer over the last few autumns from picking them up north; same principle works for games. Besides which, spoilage and random chance are very farmin'

Also the idea that you need to water plants after they're planted is kinda amusing to me, but that's just because grandad was in a super wet area and trees pretty much are fine water wise after the initial planting. I mean, it happens and it can help but if you have a normal level of precipitation, you really shouldn't have to. And why the hell not just use a hose~

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

What kind of info are you talking about?

I tried looking in RF4's data once and uh, had quite a difficult time discerning what was even what. So if you're looking for concrete details that isn't obvious from the game itself, I doubt you'll have an easy time finding it.

Stuff like enemy names, details on what exactly the drat stats do, etc. Not much of it is really presented well, and that site was the only thing I could find that has most of that stuff.

Also, probably no update this week, because I am LOG CHOPPIN'.

I have broken 1k.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

One of my greatest joys in playing Harvest Moon on the Playstation was when I used a Gameshark code to give max money and not to worry about anything but farm.

What I'm trying to say is, isn't there anything like it for the DS?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

HardDisk posted:

One of my greatest joys in playing Harvest Moon on the Playstation was when I used a Gameshark code to give max money and not to worry about anything but farm.

What I'm trying to say is, isn't there anything like it for the DS?

Well, part of the reason I'm doing the Wood Grind is because there is time to blow by even with that on my plate, because of the Winter restriction for Misty Bloom. I could (I think) AR myself infinite lumber, but there would still be that downtime where there's really nothing to do but festivals or chain sleeping, which tanks your animal FP. I think there's still one sidequest I haven't started that isn't gated by dungeon progression, but it needs a very specific circumstance.

If nobody in the thread has objections to it, I might end up doing that, although I've been avoiding using any codes on this run because Rune Factory 1 is infamously glitchy, and I don't want to risk making it any more unstable than it already is.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it worth carrying stuff to eat to get your HP back or whatever to keep chopping? I mean, I understand that this is your gimmick and all, and passing out will just bring Misty Bloom closer. Just asking for in general.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

Is it worth carrying stuff to eat to get your HP back or whatever to keep chopping? I mean, I understand that this is your gimmick and all, and passing out will just bring Misty Bloom closer. Just asking for in general.

The HP/RP restored by most food items is so minimal it's really not worth it (Unless there's some wonder item at Emmett's I'm not aware of, which I don't think is the case.), you're better off just getting more levels so your HP bar is larger, and skill levels so you consume less RP doing things like swinging your sword.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, in the first two RF games, most food items restore flat amounts instead of percentages, with most "cooked food" restoring like 40 HP and 5 RP and most basic ingredients giving you far worse than that.

If you look back at the last update, Donnel has 311 HP, and in RF1 RP is a static 100.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 11, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 31: A Treasure Hunt Miracle

So before I get into this update I want to note that it’s pretty short, because I just did one festival, but it’s a pretty drat important one. One I completely forgot about over the course of this LP.

Welp.

So as I’ve been Wood Grinding, you eventually run into an issue. You run out of stumps in the dungeons. They do respawn, but only sometimes overnight. I’m not sure what the exact formula or anything for that is, but I do know that they won’t spawn in tilled tiles. So when I come across a room where I’ve done this, it makes me sad.

Thankfully, you can use the Hammer to untill tiles.

This also gives you skill levels.

Mining Levels, for some reason I guess just because you’re still hitting stuff with a hammer.

Still, this drastically slows wood gathering, because Rune Factory dislikes you personally.

Another thing I’ve been doing while wood grinding is buying up the books from Russell, since he has a new stock for each weekday. We can’t use them now, but we will be able to once we get the crafting stuff. They are required.

Speaking of which, FOR DINNER and FOR DINNER 2 are great names.

Russell also sasses the Blender.

He’s biased towards the Steamer, though.

Also, Friendship grows very slowly. After exhausting that whole supply of Feed, petting almost every day, our monsters have...1 FP. If only they were Sharron and I could just hurl crystals at them.

Here’s another event we haven’t seen yet. A tornado. This just basically means the day is wasted. Since Ivan’s stock rotates every holiday, and this is a holiday, I’m not sure if it just skips that step in the rotation? I kinda hope it does, because we can’t buy what he’s selling today yet.

I’ll find out soon enough.

The Tornado also messes up your fields, as an additional “gently caress you” if you were trying to actually farm on them. It’s great for me though, because look at that bounty of stumps!

I also discovered this in the bottom left of the farm, this is where all the wood magically gets teleported to.

You can take individual pieces out, but I have no idea why you’d want to do so, as they don’t seem to do anything.

But onto the meat of things.

It’s time for the Treasure Hunt!

Again, all the villagers have stuff to say, but not much of it is very interesting.

Except Jasper. I love you, Jasper.

Also I think Lukas wants someone to die.

...The hell is that supposed to mean?

Even Zavier’s mom doesn’t like Zavier.

Godwin runs this festival instead of Jasper.

This is kind of a weird description too, as we will be searching a single cave for a single item, every year.

Donnel will do it. I hunger for update fodder.

: Compete to see who can find it the fastest! A hint to its hiding place is a “Dead End”. You have until 6 pm to find it.

Immediately start hauling rear end, because you are, in fact, timed.

The Teleport spell, which instantly brings you to your house, would have been nice here. I was too dumb to buy it though, even though I spent a small fortune on the world’s shittiest wizard books.

Thankfully, Carmite Cave isn’t exactly hard to navigate. We’re looking for a spot on the second floor, it’s the same every year. The hint is pretty unhelpful, so this is really something you’ll do better at on subsequent years, or with a walkthrough.

Remember the first time these ants sealed me? What a day. Anyway, our target is…

This nondescript rock directly past the ant spawner. RF1 is not nice.

Why would you ever pick the second option?

Donnel, you made a beeline right for it.

Welp, orb out and hustle back.

Again, Teleport would shave some precious seconds off here.

I like that even the item description has no idea why this is the “treasure”.

:toot:

That’s in game time. I’m not that slow. For the record, to get the best prize, you have to do under 20 minutes. I’m not even sure that’s possible, because it seems to take that long just running through the cave. Maybe if you hugged corners religiously and really worked it out. Or another way, but I’ll get to that.

Wow. Those are all good rewards. The bottle can only be grabbed once, so no getting a new one every Treasure Hunt. Still, I barely use my bottle, so I think you all know what the standout here is.

But...what if I did this a different way?

Take 2: Cheating.

This time I didn’t accept the festival from Godwin, and instead…

I’ll just go to Carmite and steal the book before he even mentions it! :smuggo:

No, it doesn’t actually work. It won’t spawn until you’ve accepted the Festival invite. Apparently this was different in the Japanese version, and you totally could just take it, but it disappeared from your inventory upon accepting the Festival.

However, if you put it on your shelf...it didn’t do that, and you could easily cheat and get the sub-20 minute time.

But we do have a way of moving quicker…

Take 3: Tactical Lupine Action

Trying this again (Note that you only get one try, I’m loading a save a lot) and this time, making a detour to grab D-Dog for the added movement speed. Still, you waste time going in the barn and getting the animal.

D-Dog also takes corners like a semi-truck and is generally clunky. Still, got the book, got back to Godwin...

And accidentally dropped it in front of him. You can’t pick it back up. I’d have to go all the way back and grab a new one. This is a frequent issue with Rune Factory’s “drop” and “give” buttons both being A, make sure you invade everyone’s personal space.

Still, judging by the in-game clock, D-Dog actually slowed me down. So let’s just go back to that first method.

I will take that sweet wood. I’ll get the bottle if I do this next year.

Thanks, Godwin.

It is on the calendar.

But with that 500 Wood, we’re drat close. If I was a little faster and got sub-50 minutes, I could have snagged 1000, and sub-20 minutes is either 200,000G or 2000 Wood, bypassing the grind entirely. Still, I think it’s almost impossible without the glitch.

The Treasure Hunt is pretty much the best festival in the game for that reason alone. This is way better than the 5000G Dairy Show or whatever.

But, with all the new stumps in the yard...

This is a historic chop.

I am free.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It deeply amuses me that the game will hand out more money than you've possibly collected thus far in the entire game, just for being really fast at getting a book. Screw farming, screw mining, screw fighting, Donnel should have spent all his effort on becoming a track star.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yay, free from the lumber grind!

Of course soon you'll be haunted... By your ghost-wife!

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Internet seems to concur that the only way to get the best reward is to cheat. In the JP version as-mentioned you can just get the book before starting the treasure hunt, but someone else said you can get the book and not turn it in the first time, and get the best reward in year 2. Given that the game already gated the story to winter anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if that was "intended." Also, the same forum said there's actually an intermediate reward of 100k G/1000 wood that seems to be for 20-45(?) minutes. If that's true, well... hey, you got some skill levels chopping all that wood, right? :sweatdrop:

In RF2 there's a different problem with the "adventure" festival: the time is actually based on your DS's clock, so you had to manually set it to the top of the hour (or wait, of course) and then do it. I have no idea how anybody would realize that unless you got an exceptionally off time and reloaded and tried again or something.

LordHippoman posted:

The HP/RP restored by most food items is so minimal it's really not worth it (Unless there's some wonder item at Emmett's I'm not aware of, which I don't think is the case.), you're better off just getting more levels so your HP bar is larger, and skill levels so you consume less RP doing things like swinging your sword.

:negative:
That's some of the worst news so far. In RF3, food is overpowered to the point where you can pickle basic turnips into dishes that restore 40% of your RP, and turn eggs into pudding that cures fatigue (plus even more RP), and so on. I've kind of gotten into a rhythm of forging and upgrading a ton of stuff at once and scarf food to get all the RP back, and only then actually go outside. I'll still usually hit the spa for the last RP refill, the 300g cost is a balm on my conscience for abusing the system like that. :v:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Wayne posted:

Also, the same forum said there's actually an intermediate reward of 100k G/1000 wood that seems to be for 20-45(?) minutes. If that's true, well... hey, you got some skill levels chopping all that wood, right? :sweatdrop:

Yeah, I knew about that one, it's just that at this point, I was at 1350~ Wood, and with the tornado generating a bunch of free stumps, it was kind of the perfect storm just to settle for 500. Even that time is pretty tough to get without Teleport, which is my bad, I should really have that by now.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yay, free from the lumber grind!

Of course soon you'll be haunted... By your ghost-wife!

Oh, Misty Bloom Cave is still looming. It's only the 27th of Summer. I've still got about a month to try and squeeze content from :v:.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Maybe you could do some...
*gasp*
farming?
:P

The first Rune Factory seems really tedious in everything it does, I'm glad I've only really sunk time into 3 and 4, which are a lot better in basically every respect.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

You can take individual pieces out, but I have no idea why you’d want to do so, as they don’t seem to do anything.

As far as I know, there is only one reason to take lumber, and that is for one single spear recipe, and a low-level one to boot. This game doesn't give you any reward for 100%-ing the shipping list, and weapons don't count on your shipping list because you can't hold them like an item so yeah...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rune factory!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. That's a really good festival reward.

Considering you can't buy wood, I mean.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

In Harvest Moon you could use the wood pieces to build fences and stuff. I don't see why would you do that here, though.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

As far as I know, there is only one reason to take lumber, and that is for one single spear recipe, and a low-level one to boot. This game doesn't give you any reward for 100%-ing the shipping list, and weapons don't count on your shipping list because you can't hold them like an item so yeah...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rune factory!

I was not even aware that existed. So this lumber bin is for one random weapon that you'll probably have outclassed by the time you hit the cave required to get some of those materials.

That is the most Rune Factory 1 thing of all.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 32: Love Or Money

It is a joyous day here in Rune Factory, as the Wood Grind is finally complete.

Donnel is so excited he’s going to go mine some more rocks, because Neumann’s isn’t open yet.

Truly a beloved past time.

This sheep kicked my rear end while I was trying to mine this rock.

Thankfully, through use of some clever tactics, he was defeated by his own bad pathing.

It wasn’t worth it.

So this is what Grazing Grass looks like on its second to last form, and it’s….uh...it’s a mess. I can’t tell if I’ve watered that at all, it’s a complete guessing game. It looks like the screenshot got halfway corrupted on upload, but no, that’s in the game.

Still, that won’t get me down today, it’s time to upgrade the house!

As the House Grind sinks into its grave, it slithers a single arm out of the ground and flips one more bird directly at you. We’re gonna have to wait ten days for the house to actually get done.

Rune Factory, everyone.

I guess it’s at least realistic or something. Anyway, we’re still getting small items from the produce animals, they have to be at a pretty high FP level to start upgrading.

Also here’s what happens if you try to, say, shove a ball of wool in the cheese machine. It just gets destroyed.

But I got curious.

Rock Cheese is a culinary invention Kardia is not yet prepared for.

Our funds are pretty desperately low, for the first time in ages.

So it’s back to this while I wait on the house. Still better than wood chopping.

I also went ahead and got the Hoe in for its final upgrade from Leo. Not that I’m really using it, but eh, might as well.

Russell’s books today are all the Accessory books, which have these very creative titles. These will allow you to craft accessories once you have an upgraded house.

The last one is also INSANELY EXPENSIVE and I couldn’t afford it. Next time.

While I’m here, though, let’s get the other useful spell I’ve neglected this entire game. Teleport.

It’s mercifully cheap, too.

Teleport lets you return home instantly from any location outside of a cave, as you can see by Donnel turning into a giant orb in the middle of the library.

I spent the rest of the day mining, and the ants actually sealed me again, so I get to finally use one of these Roundoffs. I bought these for the Mandragora fight. How time flies.

The next morning Donnel notices his wall is gone.

You can actually see the house being renovated, and that’s pretty cool.

I’m a big fan of that Mystery Tube.

It’s still early in the morning, so now I’m just bothering the townsfolk.

Hot Tip: Don’t have Teleport equipped and accidentally mix up the X and A buttons. It’s disheartening.

So, uh, take two…

Actually, yes.

Donnel! Come on!

: Ever since she was a little lassie, Rosetta believed in that legend. If you happen across it, let me know, okay?

: Sure.

Rosetta is less helpful with the sidequest hints.

She’s way more into the assault, though.

Back in Toros, the Grazing Grass is...err...done? Kinda? I guess I must have accidentally run out of water at some point and didn’t notice because wow, that texture.

So, here’s the Feed count pre-grass.

Finally get to use the sickle. But swords work too, so...the sickle is pretty useless.

Post-grass. Each square of grazing grass chopped gives you 1 Feed in each hut you have. It does not regrow, and it takes several days of watering to produce a batch of nine. Each monster eats one feed per day.

You can probably see how incredibly not worth it this is.

Meanwhile here’s a few minutes of mining, with which I can buy 200 Feed.

Mining is king of literally everything in this game.

Well, that was a night. Let’s go bother Rosetta again.

I just want your sidequest, I already took a vote and we’re more into the Ghost, sorry.

There we go.

: The White what?

: The White Stone! It’s a legendary stone. I’ve been searching for it for years!

: What happens if you find it?

: What happens? Well...um...That’s none of your business! Hmph!

Well then.

Also, yes, Grazing Grass does, apparently, produce Runes. There’s one on the other patch north of me as well. I do love Toros Cave now. The free runes.

The magic testing zone…

The water ghosts…

The white stones…

Wait.

Donnel, there are probably a lot of White Stones.

This is, in fact, the one we want, though.

Nice. This is Rosetta’s required item for proposal, and the way to fulfill her sidequest

Also I got a level up from beating on wizards. But back to the stone.

I think Rosetta can wait a few days. There’s something I want to check first.

On Holidays from noon to 1:00…

(I already did Ivan, got a Small Kitchen and Fridge)

Lukas is at the pub. This conversation will only trigger there, because...Rune Factory.

: Sell it to me! Money is no object!

drat.

However, the 100K is a totally viable option.

It’s time for a moral choice. Do we give Rosetta the rock she’s been looking for over several years, fulfilling her longest wish for...uh...a White Stone? Or do we give it to this creepy poet but make mad bank off of it?

I’m leaving it up to you, the thread, masters of rock-based romance. Note that since we’re not marrying Rosetta, this doesn’t have any actual major consequences. If you want to marry Rosetta, don’t sell it, because it locks you out of marrying her forever.

Please cast your votes as to the fate of this rock.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Sell it. Let a stalker someone else make Rosetta happy, since we clearly aren't going to.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Don't sell to this creepy gently caress.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

We don't need his dirty stalker money. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If he can't bother to pay a premium on it, then he obviously doesn't care about Rosetta that much. Maybe you'll run into a markkeen-eyed traveller later who'll appreciate the stone's True Value. Keep it.

• Locked thread