Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Boo for a ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
How about Prince, in memory of? (I mean, that or Ziggy).

Shaun the sheep. Now I have that drat theme song in my head.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
A couple of broken images where you're shaving Shaun.
Also gently caress yeah, egam!!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Yay for Shaun! Woolies are just so cute :kimchi:
e:Also, I'm gonna second Prince for a ghost name. Forgot about the character limit, sorry! I vote Ziggy

stone cold fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 2, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Name the ghost Jacob Marly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, range is a pretty good defense, isn't it? Well done, that egam.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Last Transmission posted:

Well now that you went with another name: Micah is the default name of RF3's protagonist who is half wooly(Fantasy genetics whoo!). Allowing you to go for some downright absurd offspring combos with some of the ladies if the devs had put in any more effort into it than "minimally viable"

As for naming your potential ghost problem I suggest naming it Henry.

Wait what? Half Wooly? :psyduck: Can he shear himself?

Boo for the ghost.

Did anyone else notice that the portrait for Egam looks nothing like the monster stat image? For one he has pink hair.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

Wait what? Half Wooly? :psyduck: Can he shear himself?

Nah, but when in Wooly form he becomes a Kung Fu Master. Or was it a pro wrestler? It's been a while since I played it. He's more badass than he looks anyway.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Nah, but when in Wooly form he becomes a Kung Fu Master. Or was it a pro wrestler? It's been a while since I played it. He's more badass than he looks anyway.

Doesn't he do a backflip and kick things in the face?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Roro posted:

Doesn't he do a backflip and kick things in the face?

http://imgur.com/XYNp6O2
Look at this motherfucker! Look at him! Is this the face of mercy?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Last Transmission posted:

http://imgur.com/XYNp6O2
Look at this motherfucker! Look at him! Is this the face of mercy?

I'm afraid to ask, which of the two is he?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

I'm afraid to ask, which of the two is he?

He's both.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm having difficulty reconciling that outfit with being a farmer.

Then again, I guess JRPG outfits don't really work well with any actual physical labor (like, say, fighting). They're only well-suited for being a JRPG Character.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm having difficulty reconciling that outfit with being a farmer.

Then again, I guess JRPG outfits don't really work well with any actual physical labor (like, say, fighting). They're only well-suited for being a JRPG Character.

Ragunas outfit is fairly practical. Heavy gloves, lots of belt pouches, sleeves. Not very JRPG in design. But 3 and 4 definitely don't have good working clothes. In 4 your outfit is pure white formal clothes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I knew that was going to be the answer. :smith:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I knew that was going to be the answer. :smith:

The answer is always the most anime in the RF games.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Kallev posted:

Ragunas outfit is fairly practical. Heavy gloves, lots of belt pouches, sleeves. Not very JRPG in design. But 3 and 4 definitely don't have good working clothes. In 4 your outfit is pure white formal clothes.

Now to be fair, in 4 you're play-tending to be a Prince. You gotta dress the part even after the real Prince shows up and everyone knows you're not!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Micah's cool. He's pretty much the only sane man in the lunatic asylum that is Sharance.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr Pepper posted:

Micah's cool. He's pretty much the only sane man in the lunatic asylum that is Sharance.

Even he's a little loopy. Gotta be something in the water, there.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Sage Grimm posted:

Now to be fair, in 4 you're play-tending to be a Prince. You gotta dress the part even after the real Prince shows up and everyone knows you're not!

Plus you can change your outfit in 4, which is nice. I tend to go for the black option because it sets off our hair quite well, but other colours are available than just white~

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Nah, but when in Wooly form he becomes a Kung Fu Master. Or was it a pro wrestler? It's been a while since I played it.

It sounds like I'm LPing the wrong game here.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

It sounds like I'm LPing the wrong game here.

Your farm/home is a giant magic tree. Oh, and Jasper has relatives in every RF game.

But seriously it's really interesting to see where Rune Factory comes from when I've only played 3 myself.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 14: The Cookie Conundrum

So, short update here. This is one of those awkward situations where I could either have one giant rear end update or two smaller ones and I'm taking the latter, because I've learned from a certain battle in a certain DS game in a certain LP that may have been 175 images (go to hell vyland).

Anyway Rune Factory.

We begin our journey to Toros Cave, to end it once and for all.

wait what the hell is this

Is Godwin giving me dating advice through the mail? Mr. Mayor, please don't spam my inbox.

Still, Spring Festival is tomorrow...but we have no cookies, and no ability to make cookies, so we can do nothing. I honestly don't know if it's even possible to have the house upgrade/kitchen for them by now.

egam is coming because he's the most competent of our allies. TO ADVENTURE!

Welp I got poked by demons until I was paralyzed and I'm not doing this whole thing like that. Guess I've gotta wait until I have money to buy some cures from Edward.

And here's a prime source of it! Those cucumbers from ages ago!

Rejoice, for the cukes are ours.

Also egam just murdered those orcs for no reason. drat, egam. I wasn't even there.

Also the Sweet Potatoes are plucked, but something...weird happens. I hit Escape on accident here, and-

When I came back, the Rune was gone. I guess it disappears if you start picking the plants? Even the ones it's not floating over.

At least a SKILL UP in Logging helps calm my sadness.

After trudging back to Edward, it turns out that, if you're poor enough, he'll give you a free check-up and a typo.

(I was 2 gold short :smuggo: )

Speaking of which, hey, Edward, how would you like some fine S. Fur?

The veggies go in the box so Rosetta can finally have something to do.

I went to see if I could afford another Axe upgrade, but...

...Leo's not in his shop.

We can even sneak into his room.

He's not here either? Maybe he got too close to the fire and :ohdear:

Oh never mind he's at the bar.

: To forge a sword of scales shaved from Grimoire. That be my promise, aye. Aye, but Grimoire is a legendary beastie, an' I 'ave no idea what it be! Ho-Ho-Ho!

...You promised to make a sword out of the scales of an animal you don't even know has scales?

Oh yeah, Leo doesn't work when rain happens.

Emmett attempts to seduce Donnel into alcoholism, but we have bigger problems. Namely, our lack of cookies.

Sadly Emmett does not sell them. But hey, Sashimi! Let's get some of that.

Also a salad. That fish money pays off. Admittedly there was a double meaning to the sashimi.

Sabrina really likes it. We need to reach 3 FP with her to continue the Neumann sidequest, but there are cheaper ways of getting Sashimi, once we get an item from Ivan.

Still, it did not earn us a single FP with her. Only ghost ruins lady likes us.

Mist is in our home again.

Thanks, Mist.

Welp, time for the festival anyway!

No Festival Day is complete without some Eggplant watering.

This is the Spring Festival. The music changes, and the townspeople are scattered all over the village. Also, no stores are open.

Oh hey, Russell.

Glad to know you still exist.

So, the main and only function of the Spring Festival is that if you give a marriageable lady cookies, a cookable item, you get bonus love points. We have no way of making cookies, but there's still some special dialogue, so I figured I'd show a bit of it off.

Emmett is pioneering Oktoberfest in a land with no Germany.

Leo has no interest.

: Cookies to the lady that they are interested in?

Mist why are you standing at the end of a pier?

Don't give Melody gifts, she'll just ramble at you for like 4 text boxes.

I don't have any cookies!

REFER TO PREVIOUS LACK OF COOKIE

I'm glad Jasper has taken his rightful position atop the stage, king of the festival.

I would give you the cookies if I could, Jasper. gently caress tradition. gently caress this town. I'm gonna have to go meet with the hermit.

You're a massive dork, Edward.

Sharron does not give a single drat about the Spring Festival. Thankfully, we can probably change her mind.

Happy Spring Festival, everyone!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

Also the Sweet Potatoes are plucked, but something...weird happens. I hit Escape on accident here, and-

When I came back, the Rune was gone. I guess it disappears if you start picking the plants? Even the ones it's not floating over.

The game calculates Rune generation each time you enter a screen, based on two factors:

a) Did you already get the runes from this screen today? and
b) Are there nine fully-grown crops on the screen?

Since you started plucking the yams, when you Escaped and came back, there were less than nine fully grown crops on the screen. (Regrowing crops drop back to their third stage of growth when they're picked) Thus, no Rune needed to be generated. This would've also happened if you grabbed all but one of the runes on a bigger set of crops, and then started picking them. Each rune generates from 9 crops, so if you have, say, 36 crops grown (9x4), grab 3 runes, then the last rune doesn't count from 1-9, it counts from 28-36.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Of course ghost lady loves you. You keep giving her boots and girls like shoes so it makes sense that ghost girls like old boots!

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

Of course ghost lady loves you. You keep giving her boots and girls like shoes so it makes sense that ghost girls like old boots soles!

Fixed that for ya buddy! :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Eh, I think mysterious ruins ghost girl could probably show up in town for the festivals. Just act like she belongs and people probably won't ask too many questions.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 15: Chimera Clash

Hi everyone! We’re here with Ivan because it’s more interesting than starting every update in the house.

Time to down Toros Cave for good, but first, let’s see what Ivan has for sale!

Oh, that would be incredibly useful. I could Sashimi these fish and get more money for them, and better gifts, and-

Oh come on.

He’ll say that for literally everything in his inventory right now. Cooking is pretty much impossible until we buy that huge upgrade. I’ve got a timeframe in mind for doing that, but it won’t be for a while, so I won’t have to describe any of this stuff for a bit.

Edward’s Clinic is, thankfully, open on Holidays.

I grabbed two of these because Demons are a pain in the rear end. Time to make the trek!

The stalwart wizard, egam, still holding his/her own out there.

I’m just sorta gonna breeze through the screens of this first floor, you’ve all seen it by now.

Looks like Eggplants still aren’t quite done. Huh. Sleeping Bag ought to do the trick later, though.

Remember you need your Hammer to reach the Woolie spawner!

My damage is now at the point where most of the time, if I run to the spawner quick enough, I can kill it before it creates a monster. No luck here, though, I had to fight this Shindra, but it was the first thing after the initial Demons..

Honestly the only real strategy against these guys is “Don’t stand in front of them”.

This one also got a spawn off.

The Wizard Civil War rages on as egam vanquishes another foe.

My new strategy with these jokers is to kite them into egam’s fireballs so I don’t have to get in potential paralysis range.

Works pretty well.

Donnel gains another level off of egam dispatching another usurper to his arcane throne.

Ah, poo poo, I’m missing one somewhere.

Oh yeah, the ghosts. Thankfully this wasn’t Sealing.

Alright, time to pop Escape and prepare for Phase 2, with all the first floor spawners eliminated.

Naptime.

Joy, Eggplants!

That’s...not that much RP. RP is honestly kinda hard to come by in this game, unless you’re really into tilling and farming every square you come across.

Alright, now back around to the door.

The gate disappears, and we get access to a save point. Good stuff.

Downstairs is a room that, for lack of a better description, is kinda shaped like a backwards 4?

Like, there’s an exit over here, in the northeast.

This is the one we’ll need to take first.

Because aha! A spawner!

It was more wizards.

The other exit to the “4” room is in the southwest.

Rows upon rows of tillable land. And wood. I’ll be coming back here for that, probably offscreen.

Also, a new enemy! This is the Silver Wolf, I think this is the only place it appears. It runs fast and it can melee pounce you for a lot of damage. It has one other fun property, but I’ll save that for a future update.

I just set to work on the spawner, since it seemed more interested in egam than me.

Oh no, he’s being mauled!

Thankfully egam is a trooper, and this final spawner around the corner went down easy.

That’s the last of the demons.

I’ve had like, no luck with drops except for these, which I’m swimming in. (Or I would be if I wasn’t just selling them)

That looks ominous enough.

...one more nap.

Also, let’s eat the Salad for RP!

Wow, that was poo poo. Popeye lied to me, again.

Unfortunately, companion monsters cannot accompany us into boss doors.

Farewell, egam!

Well, what’s in here?

Oh. Hello.

Really? Giant pointed tail, wings, claws, and you’re fixated on the EYES?

How did you even get down here?

: It looks pretty powerful.

: You got that right! That thing is lethal! This is as far as I go! One should always know when it’s time to quit, Donnel. Don’t you forget that!

See ya.

OH THAT FUCKER LOCKED THE DOOR

Aaah poo poo it’s the Chimera! Boss Number Two, and a right pain in the rear end. He’s packing nearly 500 HP, he’s fast, and he’s a major step up from Greater Daemon.

His most common attack is a chasing charge.

He can charge

For quite a while

This is all from the same attack

He’ll only stop once he’s close enough to start a pounce animation. As soon as you see that, you need to veer off to his left or right. I tried to take a swing at him here. Don’t do that.

He can also use this wide cone of frost breath. Best way to avoid this is probably just to hightail it directly away, because the spread is insane, and he can turn.

If he chooses to, the Chimera can simply pounce without the charge. Sometimes he’ll roar, and that’s usually a cue that if you get close, you’re getting pounced on. You...really don’t get many openings against him.

His final attack, and probably his weakest, is this. He fires two of the Shindra laser beams. This animation goes on a while, so if you can get to his side, cut him up now.

Healing Potions? A good call. (Also yes, you can equip them from the pause screen, I was just being dumb.

Just like the Daemon, he has a rage mode at 25% HP. He moves faster, hits harder, and shoots 4 beams instead of 2.

This really can be a rough fight.

Honestly, I’ll sometimes get greedy and go for a swipe while he’s rearing up to pounce. Most guides I found seem to advocate ONLY hitting him during the beam attack, but I’m impatient.

The breath also isn’t constant ticking damage, so you have invincibility frames to get out, or attack if you feel greedy.

Nothing out of the ordinary is happening in this shot, I just love the Chimera’s face.

Even if the beam does hit you, 13 damage isn’t much at this point. It’s really his weakest ability. I think the Shindras he’s cribbing from do more.

This is the “proper” way to handle this fight. Kite him around until he goes for a beam, dodge it and slice away.

Rage again, but this time I’m feeling saucy and healthier.

I just sorta rushed him until he collapsed, down for the count.

See ya, Chimera.

I’m not even going to ask this time.

: I couldn’t just let it roam about here.

: You know, I think you fight with a certain noble flare, Donnel.

: Really?

: Well, I’ve never fought before so maybe I’m not the best judge…

: Oh…

You asshat.

: Zavier? I didn’t expect to find you in here.

: I’m investigating the secrets of this cave too! You’re not the only one trying to get to the bottom of this, Donnel!

The bottom of what? I can’t even remember why I’m here, to be honest!

: Oh really? So, what did you find out?

Who is we, Zavier. Who the gently caress is we.

:iceburn:

: Hey! What are you trying to say?

: Come on, you two, just settle down. It won’t do any good to fight in here.

: I wasn’t fighting! I was just stating the truth. And besides, Zavier ran off and abandoned you, Donnel!

: I didn’t abandon him! Donnel just didn’t flee fast enough!

I’m gonna have OhGod and Dante rough you the gently caress up, Zavier.

: Did it even occur to you that he may need your help?

: Yeah but the door locked shut again!

:iceburn: :iceburn:

And he storms out like a dork.

: You mean...you don’t know?

: Know what?

: Poor Zavier…

: What are you talking about?

Donnel, master communicator.

: Catch you later!

Well, that’s all she wrote here. Just some final chores to take care of.

Eggplants!

Lake!

Fishing!

Fishing elsewhere because that place sucked!

Disappointment!

A new fish!

This went on for roughly 4 in game hours.

Now we’ve got a pack full of fish.

Those are some serious fish bucks.

That’s all for now, though. That’s two caves down...about 6 to go.

Also more people like us now. But only Tabatha has feelings for us. I’m not sure how.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Pette the monsters, gette the lady love!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. You didn't pass out in the caves this time? Donnel is progressing.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

Huh. You didn't pass out in the caves this time? Donnel is progressing.

Donnel only passes out two steps out of the cave, or else he will die and someone will stab a turnip.

(I actually did die like, twice on the Chimera because I'm pretty bad at this game.)

Roro posted:

Pette the monsters, gette the lady love!

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Tabatha's weird LP mechanics.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

LordHippoman posted:

Donnel only passes out two steps out of the cave, or else he will die and someone will stab a turnip.

Holy crap, it is a turnip. I just assumed it was a skull. That's fantastic.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How many different colored herbs does this game have? I decided to try RF3 again, and there's like 10 of them for some reason. Why so many?? There's 3 different green ones, and the weeds are green too. Makes skimming over a field more difficult.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Off the top of my head, it's green coloured grass, medicinal herb and antidote herb. They all have wildly different shapes, even when you add weeds being green to that list.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Red, orange, green, possibly blue and purple (although I may be thinking of the early GBA/DS Harvest Moon games with those last two).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sage Grimm posted:

Off the top of my head, it's green coloured grass, medicinal herb and antidote herb. They all have wildly different shapes, even when you add weeds being green to that list.

Yeah, obviously when you look closely they're more than different enough, but when running along skimming the fields it gets harder to differentiate. It's more of an issue in the house farm since that's where you have big fields.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I decided to try RF3 again, and there's like 10 of them for some reason. Why so many??

?

I think the better question is why so many hues of colored grass that don't do anything, while weeds, medicinal, and antidote herbs are all green (and the latter two you'll probably use a lot)?

It's nice to see RF still has problems balancing its bosses, too. :v: The 2nd dungeon's boss in 3 took me 2 tries, and the run I beat it took about 10 in-game hours. I had the "fatigue" status show up on Micah for the first time and thought the boss debuffed me with something until I realized it was after 6am now. :sweatdrop: And hearing the RP travails is yet another reason I'm glad I started with 3; I'm already at the point I can spam attack spells pretty much freely, and they can be fun to use (the one I grabbed was the starter Earth spell, and it does decent damage and launches enemies backward).

And for Hippo and anyone else who hasn't played it, the stream before last I made a highlight of Micah's special wrestling moves while in sheep form here, they're pretty great. :D Not quite up to train-suplexing tier, but fun. Looking forward to seeing what the biggest enemy he can piledrive is!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Is she...hitting the protagonist with a lemon mallet?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is she...hitting the protagonist with a lemon mallet?

No, no. That's entirely portrait layering issues; there's not enough screen real-estate to put both of the characters without one overlapping the other.

Also it's a mallet covered in paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
The Wikia says she uses her hammer as a brush, which is among the weirder weapon choices the bachelorettes have in RF3 (but not the weirdest, the mermaid wields a giant fish, which jumped her up the ranks in my estimation a bit), yeah. It seems to be an anime version of a bush pick (the weird sculpting tool that looks like a tenderizer on one end and a point on the other) or mallet pick.

I don't know if you eventually can in RF1, but in 3 you can get NPCs as well as monsters help you out in combat, and I assume Daria would be wielding that. I've only invited NPCs a couple times since they seem to be pretty low-level (with a couple exceptions like Ninja Mom :swoon:).

Edit: Yeah, it just looks like she's hitting him, that's why I grabbed that one instead of one of the many others where she randomly shouts 'Rainbow.'

• Locked thread