Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Grand Mage grand mage eh. That is some level of lazy, hah.

stone cold posted:

Shaun the Sheep!!!

Also, just wanna say really enjoying the LP so far!!
Shain gets my vote too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Boo for a ghost.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Well uhh, just like with Harvest Moon in general, you're kinda in it for the normalcy as well, so I quite liked this update.

And what monster types need names?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Call the Troll DP. :unsmigghh:

Titan can be Promee~

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Funny thing, one of the things Stranger Things reminded me of is how living in a small/farming town is like and how none of the harvest moon games really catch that too well. Stardew Valley is a little better but still not really close.

I guess it has something to do with it mostly being done by nostalgic city slickers I guess? I mean, most of them don't involve poo poo, death and only limited alcoholism. Like, livestock farming is completely different from the way the games operate, though I suppose that might be to keep them light-hearted, as I don't think that having to buy the 'Bolt Gun' tool to get meat would be super popular.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yyyyyeah, these games are to farming what Team Fortress is to warfare. In other words, it's just a "gloss" to apply to a set of game mechanics.
good av/post

Wayne posted:

Just calling attention to this part because it is probably true. Why do you think there're so many games about high school by people going through their mid-life crises? The nostalgia for a better and purer time that [if we're honest] was never really like that in the first place is strong, and video games are escapist fantasy. So the question is really "Why aren't more games set in an idyllic place and time where you spend time however you want and make an honest and fulfilling living" and the answer is "Because they don't make very much money." :v:

But other than that, seriously, the HM/RF games are idealistic and escapist like crazy. Especially RF, where you're always some intrinsically special individual (monster or Earthmate) who gets to vanquish monsters, make friends with crazy people and hook up with your choice of cute anime lady. Deconstructing Rune Factory would be an astounding case of missing the point.
There's a lot of good stuff about farm work. It's concrete, it's doesn't lead to the alienation that a lot of white collar work does and you're doing something with both yer body and mind. It's not perfect but it can deffo be sweet

As for stuff like chores, that's why you'd add systems to deal with them, like grandkids or workers and other things. Means more character interaction and as for food staying fresh, I dunno, what you can't freeze usually keeps a while if it ain't et or sold. I have like, 30 kilos of blueberries that have accumulated in my freezer over the last few autumns from picking them up north; same principle works for games. Besides which, spoilage and random chance are very farmin'

Also the idea that you need to water plants after they're planted is kinda amusing to me, but that's just because grandad was in a super wet area and trees pretty much are fine water wise after the initial planting. I mean, it happens and it can help but if you have a normal level of precipitation, you really shouldn't have to. And why the hell not just use a hose~

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
To be fair to Myolnir, that's about as close to Mjölnir as Japanese can get and is far from the greatest sin that the Japanese have committed against the Norse faith

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
how have you not read lord of the rings

Is it even allowed to play nerd games and not have read it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I mean, I kinda like the idea that a buncha militaristic feudals thinking that the power of an earth dragon is death when really, it's life and that backfires on them, but it woulda been nice if it didn't seem like all the plot happened in these last two caves or there were some real hints beforehand.

• Locked thread