Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Thank you for doing this thread. I've finally caught up with the thread and dusted off my old copy of the game too. I think my first playthrough I married Mist because she was just so weird, and I actually focused on farming so I had turnips everywhere. I actually have the strategy guide for this game so if it isn't too :filez: I can try and show some things off. At least the guide knows about the wall known as Misty Bloom and expects you to do the first 3 dungeons by the end of spring. It's the dumbest poo poo. Also, are you going to get the second glass bottle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I swear this hump ends eventually.

I can attest the grinding is real, and the game won't let you escape it. I managed to scrape together enough lumber by the end of the first month by literally forsaking everything else to sweep the dungeons daily for lumber. I even undid all the tiles I plowed so more stumps would spawn. I finish resource gathering on a Holiday so that the next day, Monday, I can sell all my ore to Neumann and get the drat house.

It rained on Monday. Neumann won't work in the rain. This game knows I'm trying to speedrun to get to the crafting.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Well, I mean, America even has cage chokers. I don't know if it's cultural so much as just a very unusual but still extant fashion choice.

EDIT:

Fashion be weird, yo.

Not gonna lie, I'd wear all of these cage chokers/necklaces, but I have a gothic lolita streak in my heart a mile wide.

As someone who's gotten past the lumber grind, it gets better! Its...well, its more grinding but with other skills. And monster drops. I was about to start a list of what monsters I'd need to hunt for drops, and when I opened up my copy of the guide I found my old handwritten notes for that exact purpose, except they're almost 10 years old now. My habits haven't changed I suppose.

The one thing I'm starting to wish for, which the later RF games, have, is the ability to buy materials. Now that money is no contest I wish I could just purchase stacks and stacks of iron to work on grinding rather than going in the mines.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

You can take individual pieces out, but I have no idea why you’d want to do so, as they don’t seem to do anything.

As far as I know, there is only one reason to take lumber, and that is for one single spear recipe, and a low-level one to boot. This game doesn't give you any reward for 100%-ing the shipping list, and weapons don't count on your shipping list because you can't hold them like an item so yeah...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rune factory!

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Sell it by throwing it in the shipping bin (this does nothing, but you can show off the lost and found!).

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

There are some weapons with properly silly names too, such as the HEAVEN ASUNDER.

Hey now, this is the sword I ran with through most of Rune Factory: Frontier because that crafting mechanic is broken if you get your timing right. Little kid me thought the name was rad as hell, and I cheesed most of the early bosses with it.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Oh man, you got this Donnel, you’ve got this, go get that proposal sword and-

You tremendous fuckup.

In my own run of the game, I took every available girl to the date, and they all say basically the same thing. The only ones I didn't have enough LP for were Tori and Mei, but they're boring or impossible anyway. Most of the girls, like Rosetta, don't even give you a chance to speak. There are no text bubbles for Raguna, they just keep talking and then leave. They'll say "Oh Raguna/Donnel, do you l-l-like me? Anyway I have to go now!" I think Tabitha is the only one that straight up says she has feelings for you, so that makes her cool in my book.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I haven't played it, and upon further research (I read the drat wiki page, instead of just skimming this time. I'm very professional :v:), it's not really a remake, it's a direct sequel to RF1.

Some characters return, you still play as Donnel/Raguna, but from what I've read about it, it does seem to be a pretty solid improvement.

There's no Jasper, but evidently Bianca is attempting to follow in her dad's footsteps by becoming really good at eating stuff. An honorable goal.

I enjoyed RFF, but I'm also an apologist for the whole series. There are some mechanics in RFF that are great, like the easy crafting system and the cute animations, and then some that make me shake my head courting Eunice by basically saying 'no fat chicks'.

In RF1, you have to be prepared to make your own goals, as the things you do normally aren't really rewarded until later games. Example: you can level up crop seeds in all of the games, but only in the later games do the stores "remember" that you've sold a lv 10 seed and can re-buy it. In RF1 if you level up your crops you have to remember to save the good ones, because the stores will only sell lv1 forever.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I had to do some digging for this, because it's hard as hell to find info on RF1 evidently, but the last nickname option is different for each spouse.

For Sharron and Tabatha it's "Milord", and the other two I could find were Mist's "Boy-Donnel" (:confused:) and Lara's "Donnel-Meister".

If you'd like, I can show off what the guidebook says about spouse nicknames. Some of them are weird, but most, if I remember right, are simple like Dear or Honey.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I'd be interested in that, if you feel like doing it!

I thought it best to ask before stepping on any toes. Most of the pet names are the same for each lady, but some are totally out of left field. The last pet name in the list are the ones the bachelorette will never call you, despite it being an option. What a tease.

Rosetta - Raguna, Dear, Honeybuns, Milord
Sharron - Raguna, Dear, Milord, Honeybuns
Felicity - Raguna, Dear, Lil' Raguna, Honeybuns (fun fact, once you cure Felicity's magic rock cancer, she'll call you Lil' Raguna if you talk to her at Neumann's store. I think it overwrites her regular dialogue)
Lara - Raguna, Dear, Honeybuns, Raguna-meister (that would be amazing)
Melody - Raguna, Honeybuns, Little Raguna, Dear
Mist - Raguna, Dear, Boy Raguna, Honeybuns
Bianca - Raguna, Honeybuns, Don Raguna, Dear
Tabatha - Dear, Honeybuns, Milord, Raguna (she won't call you by your own name)
Mei - Raguna, Husband, Milord, Honeybuns

There's one more person to marry, but we haven't officially seen her yet in bachelorette capacity, so I can wait until then to link her info. Summary? These ladies sure seem to hate the name Honeybuns.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Hey OP, can you give us an update to your stats? Considering how quickly I ruined the Siren (and the next boss) I can only assume I've over-leveled and wanted to see what a "reasonable" level for this part of the game would be. I think the only skill I never max out is camping.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

No problem. The only grinding I really remember doing was getting to around level 10 or so for the Greater Daemon.

This is post-Kasimir, though, because I've already played that part, just need to get the update together.

Oh god, yeah I'm way over-leveled. I think I just hit 90 (because I grind for monster drops instead of farming). But I think your way is the more of a "proper" way to go through the game because you don't need max stats to get anything done.

As for voting, a Fairy named Tink, or Navi/Tatl/Tayl if you want all the references.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Enjoy the wood grind motherfucker :unsmigghh:

This is the best response, thank you.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Thank you for the LP! It was fun going through the game alongside you. I agree as well that the game doesn't age well, but it helped bring about the other games in the franchise so I'm content. If I had any capability to record things I'd give the Frontier/Tides a shot at an LP - I guess that's my way of saying you're inspiring with these LPs!

I don't have my guide on me (posting from work) but I will dig up the information on Lynette's pet names when I get home, should the thread be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Wrapping up with the bachelorette nicknames is Lynnete! She will call you Raguna, Dear, or Raguna Baby. She also offers Honeybuns but won't do it.

The guidebook also gives a marriage difficulty rating for each lady, so I thought I'd share that as well. 1 star being easiest, 5 stars for nintendo hard:

1 star: Rosetta, Sharron
2 star: Felicity, Lara, Melody, Mist
3 star: Bianca, Tabatha
4 star: Lynette, Tori
5 star/impossible: Mei

There are other ways to raise LP with the ladies, such as not collapsing if you want to woo Lara (not a chance for Donnel), or talking to Bianca first on holidays, but I think those are fleshed out more in the later games.

• Locked thread