Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Ah, another Rune Factory LP to follow, nice!

Wait, there's another one?

Man, I didn't get far into playing Rune Factory - mainly because by the time I'd picked it up I'd already played Rune Factory 3 and so the everything was clunky and painful. I imagine that if I'd played it first out of the series I would have have probably liked it a bit more and maybe even finished it. Maybe.

Donny... what a fitting name. He's gonna be grinding that XP like no-one's business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Thanks! I just found it before checking here again (who knew searching forums could produce results?) but I appreciate the link non-the-less. Also, yay, another Rune Factory LP to read. Feel like I've hit LP jackpot.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

Geomancing posted:

I've only played RF4, did they keep the 'automatically add stone/wood to your storage' in the other two games? That would have been convenient as hell when going on mining expeditions.

At least in 4 you could get an extra stockpile and dump it somewhere where you mine/chop a lot (I like to store mine in the Autumn field).

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Bees...? for Bees and Aragorn for Orc Archer (the irony).

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

biosterous posted:

Boromir for the Orc Archer :colbert:

Okay, that one is better, but then normal orc has to be Aragorn. Let's assemble the Fellowship of the Rune! :D

I didn't get far into RF1 (or 2) mainly due to the clunky everything. I was spoiled by 3 and going back to 1 and 2 was painful after playing a better version of the everything.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
##vote
1 Melody; Sharron

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 7, 2016

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
How about Prince, in memory of? (I mean, that or Ziggy).

Shaun the sheep. Now I have that drat theme song in my head.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

Sage Grimm posted:

Now to be fair, in 4 you're play-tending to be a Prince. You gotta dress the part even after the real Prince shows up and everyone knows you're not!

Plus you can change your outfit in 4, which is nice. I tend to go for the black option because it sets off our hair quite well, but other colours are available than just white~

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Sirus (dog constellation) < Me likey best but these are also names that might work:
Where (wherewolf??? werewolf)
MrWlf (what's the time...?)
Bulet (silver wolf, bullet, silver bullet - kills werewolves)
Remus (Harry Potter/mythology)

(I may be a nerd)

EDIT: Oh, five. Crud, I thought it was six. >.<;

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 28, 2016

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
3 has the better cast out of the two (3/4) but 4 has better gameplay and there's some quality of life upgrades between the two (like being able to have things stack, despite their quality levels - in 3 you can only stack them if they're of the same level. In 4 it all stacks together not matter the level.)

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

KataraniSword posted:

I haven't played RFF, I'm just quoting this to note that you should not trust Metacritic for Rune Factory scores, as it ranks RFF as the highest in the series, a whole single point over RF1 and RF4, which are tied for second.

Yeah, Metacritic's aggregate ranks the first game as equal to the fourth. And 2 and 3 as worse.

B-Blasphemy! 3? Worse?! What kind of monkeys do they have working at Metacritic? 3 is obviously the best (well, second best - best characters, but 4 does systems a lot better).

3 is such a huge jump that I can't even go back and play 2 without facepalming every time I even think of the pain the systems will bring me. And 2 was a bit of an upgrade to 1, so...

3 is a lot more intuitive though it has a few issues (there's never enough room for storing stuff, mainly). The cast makes it my favourite of the series, but 4 is a close second. I'd rather play the original Harvest Moon over 1 and 2, if that gives you any indication. (Though, to be fair, the SNES HM was pretty nice in an oldschool way. The systems were actually not that bad considering, though characters were understandably pretty bland. I always married Anne~<3)

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 7, 2016

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

Mzbundifund posted:

RF3 magic is great. It's strong yes, but mostly because the RP bar increases with levels/skills, and because most food that restores RP restores it as a percentage instead of as a flat number. It's not a small percentage either, you can cook really early in the game and simple foraged ingredients will cook into stuff that restores 60% of your max RP.

That, and you can forage actually cooked goods too. They're a bit rarer to find but in the different dungeons you'll find cooked food based on the produce of that season, so it's always good to have a look around for stuff. I've found some neat surprises that kept me alive/RP'd up enough to save my life a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
Thanks a lot for the LP~ It was a lot of fun while it lasted and I'm seriously glad that I got to see the first game of the series in some form all the way through.

I... started playing Rune Factory 1 when it first came out and couldn't stomach it (by that point I'd played actual good Harvest Moon games so my tolerance was a bit higher than this game could provide when it came to the farming gameplay aspect). I then jumped to 3, tried to do 2 (failed because lol dem systems no) and then just gave up on 1 and 2 forever, so being able to see at least 1 completed in full, even if it is by a screenshot LP, is really cool - and your way of showing it off made for a fun read.

So yeah, thanks for that! I'm looking forward to seeing what next you have up your sleeve (if indeed you do have something up there).

• Locked thread