Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
I couldn't begin to tell you what Period denotes, but Expirty is digestion time from what I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014

Sage Grimm posted:

Rune Orbs did, however, give some experience in some random skill in Rune Factory 3 and 4. Can't say what happens on the console games, I've never played them.

Runeys are not present this early on in the series.

In Rune Factory Frontier, rune orbs just restore your RP, while runeys tank your economy.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
LordHippoman, is it cool with you if I talk a little bit about how the marriage candidates carry over into Rune Factory Frontier? There is nothing that spoils details from this game, but I wanted to ask and be certain before I potentially stepped on your toes.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
Finally got the time to do my bachelorette talk. I don't honestly think it's worth linking to, but if you want to go ahead. So, most of these nice young ladies do show up in later games in the series.
Rune Factory Frontier, one of the sequels to this game, starts off with this same main character passing out all over again, but in a new village, because Mist just sort of walked off one day. Mist even gives him a house in the new town, despite the fact that she doesn't actually own it. So, obviously, Mist is in that title, but she also is arguably present in Rune Factory 4 in the character Ms. Trupin. She talks in a very similar manner, and in a town event where cameo characters act like the main character from their game, Ms. Trupin is the person who acts like Raguna. As well, Trupin is a pretty easy rearrangement of turnip, which is something Mist loves to a memetic degree.

Rosetta also appears in Frontier, where her arc is all about her new shop location and her intense desire to drive the locals out of business. The local store owner deserves to be driven out though, because his stock is terrible and his hours are sparse. She actually gets a lot of development put into her friendship with Mist and her relationship with her father, which is pretty nice.

Melody shows up in town once you find a hot water spring inside the giant floating stone whale that is central to Frontiers plot. She then opens up a hot spring in town, with it being unknown if she is using the whale water. But her grandpa shows up in the game and he frequently gets drunk in the bath and poses philosophical questions to you, which is pretty rad. Her plot line is literally just take baths a bunch and talk about taking baths.

Bianca shows up in town every summer after a certain point, to vacation in a huge mansion and look down on rural people. She has a lot of bugs associated with her, such as brushing non existent pets, frequently requesting a food item that isn't actually in the game, a few spelling errors in dialogue. But, she can give you free diamonds in a few events. Unfortunately, her appearance is sullied by the fact that she does not bring Jasper with her, and if you marry her in Frontier Jasper won't even show up for the wedding.

Tabatha, of course, shows up whenever Bianca does, and she will actually leave the mansion making her a far more convenient character to interact with. Her plot line for the game revolves around her family situation, her home town, and her little sister moving in with her. Her little sister is uniformly the best character for being a smart rear end and for having her favorite gift be the failed dish from cooking.

Lara shows up in the town to be the village doctor and to pursue religious studies at the church there. I honestly can't recall her plot line, can't find it online, and don't feel like replaying all of Frontier just to research it for this post. Frontier is a bit easier on the rune points and status effects, and the church is out of the way so you will hardly ever talk to Lara unless you make a point of it.

Sharron, Mei, and the spoilers candidate don't show up in Frontier, presumably because they are all older characters and thus hard to make kawaii in 3d.

Tori does not show up, and I vaguely recall an interview wherein a developer said she was just terribly unpopular.

Felicity does not show up, presumably having died of her fantasy tuberculosis. Like, even Tori gets mentioned in some dialogue you can get about the town from RF1, but Felicity is never spoken of. Traumatic.

Of course, since Frontier was on the Wii and had no way of taking save information from a game of Rune Factory 1, all marriages are null and void. Doesn't matter if you married Mist, in Frontier she no longer likes you at all and you must re-woo her. Or you can marry someone different, with no one caring.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm having difficulty reconciling that outfit with being a farmer.

Then again, I guess JRPG outfits don't really work well with any actual physical labor (like, say, fighting). They're only well-suited for being a JRPG Character.

Ragunas outfit is fairly practical. Heavy gloves, lots of belt pouches, sleeves. Not very JRPG in design. But 3 and 4 definitely don't have good working clothes. In 4 your outfit is pure white formal clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

This is so great. I'm loving this janky crap game. I assume Medication doesn't work if you've been Sealed, or does it get a special exception?

As HippoMan said, it does. I know that by Rune Factory 4 at least, spells can be upgraded. The status restoration spells slowly expand out into healing multiple status effects, to the point where any level 10 restoration spell can cure everything, including Sealed, and can be used while Sealed.

Kallev fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 24, 2016

• Locked thread