Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Lord have mercy, it's fun to have James Vaughn back. I don't think any of these dragon tattoos looked good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Ain't that the truth. Sassy gay may be a bit of a caricature in it's own right, but it's a breath of fresh air in a show cluttered with tough guy clones. On the same note I'm really sad to see Meagan go home. Maybe she wanted to and the producers were just giving her a better out than having her leave, but it still sucks to lose someone whose personality can be described as "not swinging their dick at every opportunity" from this show. Also nice to see the judges wake up and give a poo poo for a bit. See them again when they do American traditional I guess.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
None of those were that appealing. Even if they didn't say it I have to guess Megan saying she wanted out probably factored in to selecting her.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Navarro seems to have grown a pair. Good for him.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Digital Jedi posted:

None of those were that appealing. Even if they didn't say it I have to guess Megan saying she wanted out probably factored in to selecting her.

That's what i thought too. Pretty sure Nunez had it in his mind that she had said she wanted to go home a couple of weeks ago.

I love when Cleen explains stuff. I would watch a show if he was the star.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
Another season with no female Ink Master :sigh:

I don't know who to root for now that Megan is gone. I guess anyone that isn't Sausage is fine with me. He really should have gone home instead of Megan.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Agree with that I don't want Sausage to win.

I'm rooting for Anthony. Pretty solid work so far. I don't care that much for any of the vets.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

there wolf posted:

what are the odds some of the vets came on with the express purpose of not making it to the finally? Come back on for a handful of episodes, get some more publicity, and then get back on with their lives?

I'm still not sure how this works because prior to this season there have only been like 2 artists who didn't make me want to never be tattooed by them because they either have lovely skills or a lovely manufactured personality. I don't want to meet the goober who watches last season and says "gently caress yeah gonna get me a St Marq tattoo he's fuckin cool"

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Considering how lovely the show makes almost everyone on it come off, I don't get why anyone goes on it. I figure either, against all logic, contestants just assume it will be good promotion, or it actually is good for business.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Last two episode elim tattoos are here:

http://imgur.com/a/9WkxE

http://imgur.com/a/SNpNf

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Does Sarah's Bill Clinton not look half as bad as it did during the episode to anyone else now? I'd like to see it a year from now to see it a year from now to know if the fading,etc occurs like she said was part of her reasoning for making it so heavy.

Also, I thought Megan's dragon didn't look that bad during the episode, but now I can see why it would send her home by getting a longer/better look at it. Besides the bad color choices, it's just got a weird head for a traditional by-the-book Japanese dragon. It looks almost like she was going for sort of a demon/undead dragon look, which is cool imo, but creativity gets you hosed on this show more often than not. I guess t has some messed up anatomy too, but so do most of the other dragons.

I like Matti's a lot less now too. The angle and way he did the head and eyes make it look like a scared, old-man dragon and one of it's claws looks like a chicken leg/foot

On Sausage's, the red at the top, is that a light background Sausage did, or is it that weird canvas's loose, extra-sensitive lovely skin getting irritated from the tattoo?

Also, Christian's dragon does look like a seahorse like the Human Canvas Jury was saying, lol. It still is a nice dragon tattoo though, especially for someone who was looking for a feminine one.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The posing on Sausage's looks like something out of an old Warner Brother's cartoon.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

savinhill posted:

Does Sarah's Bill Clinton not look half as bad as it did during the episode to anyone else now? I'd like to see it a year from now to see it a year from now to know if the fading,etc occurs like she said was part of her reasoning for making it so heavy.

Yeah, on second glance, I don't think that's the worst. The Hillary is about as bad, and Cleen's Reagan is so busted I have to believe that production just kept him onboard for the drama with Megan Jean.

quote:

On Sausage's, the red at the top, is that a light background Sausage did, or is it that weird canvas's loose, extra-sensitive lovely skin getting irritated from the tattoo?

Looks like irritation. He used blacks where he means for there to be a background.

And it doesn't have to be loose, lovely skin to get irritated. You're noticing it because he's so pale.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Daaamn, that was a great episode. I'm expecting big things from the rest of the season.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Glad to see Sausage go. He's just not the aggressive poo poo-talking type, and all his trying just came off as super whiny. Double elimination was a fun change-up but it makes me wonder if there's a non-elimination coming up, or if someone is coming back.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

there wolf posted:

Double elimination was a fun change-up but it makes me wonder if there's a non-elimination coming up, or if someone is coming back.

Yea it was a nice change-up. I don't think they will with time. They just now got down to 7 artists where no new person takes that place. I would think they would just do elimination per episode till the final 2 are determined. Could be completely wrong.

Also while looking up the show on wikipedia for an episode list I came across that Scott, winner of season 4, died of a heroin OD last October. I don't remember hearing that.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Digital Jedi posted:

Yea it was a nice change-up. I don't think they will with time. They just now got down to 7 artists where no new person takes that place. I would think they would just do elimination per episode till the final 2 are determined. Could be completely wrong.

Also while looking up the show on wikipedia for an episode list I came across that Scott, winner of season 4, died of a heroin OD last October. I don't remember hearing that.

I heard he died but I had heard it was a heart thing, not a heroin thing.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It was noted in the thread and all that was ever reported about the cause of death was heart failure, which is probably drugs but perhaps not

Edit: the wikipedia may say heroin OD, but if you actually inspect the citations more closely it's 100% unsourced, as it is a wikipedia article about a reality show

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 27, 2016

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Also this episode was the best in formatting and actual tension for a long, long time. More of this and less filler episodes

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Kudos to the competition aspect of this season, it's not only ramped up the drama, but you don't come away feeling somebody got screwed. Fact is, if you can tattoo whatever it is better, you'll stay.

Cleen and Christian in the finale are practically a given, it's just a matter of who joins them. Anthony is the front runner, but it really does just take one bad day, and he's had at least one thus far.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
It actually was heroin for real.

I was kind of pissed when they knocked Jime's dragon for not being a traditional Japanese style. Hadn't they just recently told him that he would have been better off doing his style for something?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

defectivemonkey posted:

It actually was heroin for real.

I was kind of pissed when they knocked Jime's dragon for not being a traditional Japanese style. Hadn't they just recently told him that he would have been better off doing his style for something?
So it is what was assumed from the get go, as no one goes to a hotel instead of meeting their wife at home because "they weren't feeling well" unless they mean dopesick or a serious clinical craving for an extramarital affair

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

drat. I remember hearing the initial report of him passing but didn't know it was from heroin. Bummer.

This really was an interesting episode, wasn't it? I'm curious to see how the rest of this season plays out now that there's been some major shake-ups. Still holding out for Anthony to make it to the top 3!

I'll also get pictures up soon!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Not Today Satan posted:

drat. I remember hearing the initial report of him passing but didn't know it was from heroin. Bummer.

This really was an interesting episode, wasn't it? I'm curious to see how the rest of this season plays out now that there's been some major shake-ups. Still holding out for Anthony to make it to the top 3!

I'd love if they dropped the too specific, creativity stifling gimmicks and just gave them a more general category to work in. Let tyhe remaining cast do their best work possible and have a bunch of awesome n creative tattoos the judges have to pick from.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

savinhill posted:

I'd love if they dropped the too specific, creativity stifling gimmicks and just gave them a more general category to work in. Let tyhe remaining cast do their best work possible and have a bunch of awesome n creative tattoos the judges have to pick from.

That would be interesting. One thing that definitely gets some of the better artists are the very specific subjects they have to create on top of a 6 hour time limit.

This season has definitely been a nice break from the usual Ink Master format and a lot of the artists I thought were going to stay a lot longer got shaken up because of it. I hope next season is as interesting as this one has been.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Not Today Satan posted:

That would be interesting. One thing that definitely gets some of the better artists are the very specific subjects they have to create on top of a 6 hour time limit.

This season has definitely been a nice break from the usual Ink Master format and a lot of the artists I thought were going to stay a lot longer got shaken up because of it. I hope next season is as interesting as this one has been.

I want more angry Nunez.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

I want more angry Nunez.

A whole season of Japanese Trad.

It's just him blowing his top over koi fin placement and the number of petals on lotus flowers.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

While wearing a lumpy cardigan? I'd love to see this!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Flyinglemur posted:

I want more angry Nunez.
Only if Kyle runs in from backstage and suplexes him through the stencil table

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

For some reason they didn't have the actual head-to-head challenge tattoos on their site so I had to go around digging for them.

http://imgur.com/a/UkQKV

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Lol Sausage's zombie is such a bad drawing done well.

HAAAAAAAAAYYYYY

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Not Today Satan posted:

Still holding out for Anthony to make it to the top 3!

Yeah, me too. I was worried when he chose faux-American Traditional for the second challenge but it was great to see everyone else pulling behind him.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Not Today Satan posted:

Still holding out for Anthony to make it to the top 3!

I'm still picking him to win. But top 3 would be pretty sweet.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, me too. I was worried when he chose faux-American Traditional for the second challenge but it was great to see everyone else pulling behind him.

He did do the one of the things the judges have said since the first season. Going out of ones' comfort zone is huge in their eyes. And with some of the other contests giving him props for doing that sure helped i think.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Anthony got blessed by something in winning that showdown with Jesse. The eagle was impressive for being done freehand and being one of the less bad ones the show has seen, but those freak mutant drumstick legs were jacked the hell up, and both emanating from a completely questionable place, even affording the stylistic liuberties of traditional. And it didn't even have the alien planet backstory to pawn that flaw off upon

Jesse would've gotten the nod if he saturated as much as he usually did, it's become very clear that one of the things the judges like most are deluxe new school colorations that "look like a sticker"

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.

Digital Jedi posted:

He did do the one of the things the judges have said since the first season. Going out of ones' comfort zone is huge in their eyes. And with some of the other contests giving him props for doing that sure helped i think.

That's exactly what they blasted Jime for. I can't remember which tattoo it was, but he went a little against his style, and they said it should have been a more 'Jime Litwalk' tattoo.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Probably easier to tattoo with no hands than actually figure out what the gently caress the judges are thinking most weeks.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
It seems like they really kinda do it on purpose at this point in order to mess with the artists' heads. And it works every time. Give them a style they aren't comfortable with and knock them when they don't put their own spin on it. Give them a completely open challenge and knock them when they don't go out of their comfort zone. As the competition goes on, they doubt themselves more and more, and that's why you get a tattoo like Jesse's, which is definitely his, but a muted version.

Ultimately ,I think his was a stronger tattoo, they just fell back on the technical aspect, and the outline was really the only thing about Anthony's that was all the better.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

He probably would have won hands down if it was colored with a better color palette. It ended up being this gross muddy green-brown mess.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I wish they started out with style-specific challenges and then got more open and relaxed as the season progresses. Weed out the cannon fodder on American traditional and pinups because everyone wants to see a line of jacked-up eagles and ugly women, and let the ones who make it through do what they excel at in the later episodes. Seeing an otherwise good artist getting knocked out over the fins on a Koi fish is petty bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I liked Anthony's better just because of how clean it was and the sheer balls of doing a shoulder-to-shoulder backpiece inside of six hours, freehand.

What got me, though, was that not only was the claw on the right hosed up beyond belief, the judges didn't even say a drat thing about it. Deserved the win and all, but goddrat.

• Locked thread