Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

The theme for this month is PREHISTORIC!
Good places to find inspiration:
https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=pleistiocene%20megafauna&rs=typed&0=pleistiocene%7Ctyped&1=megafauna%7Ctyped
https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=paleoanthropology&rs=typed&0=paleoanthropology%7Ctyped
Here's some art from the first incarnation of this thread

and some slightly more recent

James Tissot

Léon-Maxime Faivre

http://ingelore.deviantart.com/art/Neandertal-man-259340557

http://superka01.deviantart.com/art/The-last-Neandertal-285272673

http://jagroar.deviantart.com/art/Prehistoric-Safari-Revenge-of-Gigantopithecus-368443845

http://hontor.deviantart.com/art/Prehistoric-buffalo-totem-417407253

http://estivador.deviantart.com/art/Snow-Field-280443538

http://psithyrus.deviantart.com/art/Survival-of-the-Cuddliest-Smilodon-fatalis-family-348269404

and a comic I made a long time ago and is kinda embarrassing to look at now

and something I made for this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I can post rationalize tonight's drawing to fit the theme. I'm great!

Did a value study for hotdog beards as part of an upcoming series I'm going to be doing revolving around hotdog flight through time. This fella needs some more drool, but it could totally be a wacky caveman hotdog... It isn't, it's either Icarus hotdog or Renaissance hotdog.

Edit: I should've pushed my values a bit, bit I'm super happy with how it turned out

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 2, 2016

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

concept arting

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I made my Ink Spot Cats into Playing Cards! I hand printed all the boxes and they have original inky kittens on each one.

I'm going to do a cheeky plug now if that's ok, I only have 9 boxes, if you'd like one contact me here or on my FB page. I'm charging £10 plus P&P :)

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Oh oh OH this is almost to theme: ancient faun-sorta deerperson!

I can't explain the elf but who cares because cool elf! :dance:

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

I saw the good dinosaur with my sister's kids and it was a decent western.

other sketches
http://i.imgur.com/d2S18vj.jpg

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I thought for sure ancient Rome would have won for the theme. Cool! Here, have an on-theme sketch for an illustration.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm gonna draw an ancient Roman Senator!

Humboldt Squid posted:

Wish I read this before typing up the OP for the new thread :v:

Humboldt Squid posted:

The theme for this month is PREHISTORIC!

Oh. Okay, well, here's a really ancient Roman Senator.

I bought some watercolors today on a whim so I might try adding some color to this doodle if I have the time in the next few days. I have not touched watercolors ever unless you count those cheap ones in the plastic trays that they let you play with in elementary school, so I don't have high hopes.

Humboldt Squid posted:

and a comic I made a long time ago and is kinda embarrassing to look at now

and something I made for this thread

Ah, that lovely feeling when someone shows off something better than you could ever manage and calls it embarrassing.

The new one is wonderful. I want a woolly rhino for a pet.

Rondette posted:

I made my Ink Spot Cats into Playing Cards! I hand printed all the boxes and they have original inky kittens on each one.

These are amazing. :3:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Venetus posted:

Oh. Okay, well, here's a really ancient Roman Senator.

I bought some watercolors today on a whim so I might try adding some color to this doodle if I have the time in the next few days. I have not touched watercolors ever unless you count those cheap ones in the plastic trays that they let you play with in elementary school, so I don't have high hopes.

Watercolors can be tricky, they're not opaque so things will show through them. Depending on what sort of pen you inked those lines with, the lines will likely bleed when exposed to the wet media. As a general rule any thumb, you'll want to work light-dark and wanna wait for layers to dry before doing anything on top of them with more paint. Keep your brushes clean and try to keep an active "puddle" that you kinda work down the area you're working on. If that piece is on actual watercolor paper you can also wet/moisten the paper before hand to get a different, sorta more stained effect. I recommend loving around with them a bit on a separate piece of paper before throwing them at this piece.

Admittedly, I'm rather garbage with watercolors but I'm pretty sure this is all sound advice. Anyone more experienced with the medium please feel free to chime in and correct me.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

dog nougat posted:

Watercolors can be tricky, they're not opaque so things will show through them. Depending on what sort of pen you inked those lines with, the lines will likely bleed when exposed to the wet media. As a general rule any thumb, you'll want to work light-dark and wanna wait for layers to dry before doing anything on top of them with more paint. Keep your brushes clean and try to keep an active "puddle" that you kinda work down the area you're working on. If that piece is on actual watercolor paper you can also wet/moisten the paper before hand to get a different, sorta more stained effect. I recommend loving around with them a bit on a separate piece of paper before throwing them at this piece.

Admittedly, I'm rather garbage with watercolors but I'm pretty sure this is all sound advice. Anyone more experienced with the medium please feel free to chime in and correct me.

Thanks for the advice! It's just a Pilot writing pen on plain sketch paper, so I'm sure the paints won't work out well, but I'm not terribly afraid of ruining it - that's part of why I scanned it first. We'll see though, maybe I can think of something else to try the paints with. I didn't buy specific watercolor paper since it seemed pretty expensive, and I figured I would just make a big mess of everything for a while anyway, so it didn't seem worth it.

If I try to color this I will certainly experiment a bit on some other paper first. But oh man, "this piece," look at you talking about my garbage like it's worth caring about. You flatter me so. :3:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Rondette posted:

I'm going to do a cheeky plug now if that's ok, I only have 9 boxes, if you'd like one contact me here or on my FB page. I'm charging £10 plus P&P :)

These cards are cute as hell! :kimchi:

I'm really having fun doing illustration stuff. Such a relief after doing so many portraits and painting-style pieces that take way too long.

E:

Scathach fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 3, 2016

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

blef

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Scathach posted:

These cards are cute as hell! :kimchi:

I'm really having fun doing illustration stuff. Such a relief after doing so many portraits and painting-style pieces that take way too long.

E:

You have such pretty linework! :swoon:

I've been told I should move from Photoshop to to PaintTool SAI for tools that will give me cleaner lines but I could never get it working.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Reene posted:

You have such pretty linework! :swoon:

I've been told I should move from Photoshop to to PaintTool SAI for tools that will give me cleaner lines but I could never get it working.

Thanks! I use a Samsung Note tablet since they have a really good Wacom interface, and Autodesk Sketchbook. I definitely recommend Sketchbook, it's got a simple interface and it's just damned good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Finally getting serious about using value/color in my art. I honestly think coloring is the best part of the drawing process. The technical process of getting all of the lines looking "alright" is the hard part.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Coloring's a lot of fun. That said, your value range is really narrow here. That's not to say it'll stretch the whole range of values but push the darks and pull the lights. A narrow value range makes the whole image look flat. Generally speaking, large dark areas will appear to "come forward" a bit and light areas will appear to "recede".

Using the same kinda dirty lavender color for the outline of the hair and face doesn't make sense compositionality. If you're using color for your lines you'll want to use a darker shade or tint of the main color. Remember that shadows are also never black, they have a tendency to shift towards blue or cooler tones. A good way to look at shadow areas is to squint a bit and look at the colors without trying to analyze the shape and form of Shadow/highlight area.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dog nougat posted:

Coloring's a lot of fun. That said, your value range is really narrow here. That's not to say it'll stretch the whole range of values but push the darks and pull the lights. A narrow value range makes the whole image look flat. Generally speaking, large dark areas will appear to "come forward" a bit and light areas will appear to "recede".

Using the same kinda dirty lavender color for the outline of the hair and face doesn't make sense compositionality. If you're using color for your lines you'll want to use a darker shade or tint of the main color. Remember that shadows are also never black, they have a tendency to shift towards blue or cooler tones. A good way to look at shadow areas is to squint a bit and look at the colors without trying to analyze the shape and form of Shadow/highlight area.

Some very good advice - thank you.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

What can help value-wise is to make a small square of pure white and one of pure black to use as landmarks.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Vermain posted:

The technical process of getting all of the lines looking "alright" is the hard part.

I you're getting "wobble" in your lines, try pulling the line fast and confident - that usually takes care of the worst of the wobble in digital. Have "erase last" on a quickbind so you can quickly draw/erase/redraw/erase/redraw a couple of times until you get the line you want - it's easier and less time-consuming than trying to "pet" the perfect lines, or erasing/drawing over until they're Just Right. (I'm assuming you're working with a tablet here)

Venetus posted:

Ah, that lovely feeling when someone shows off something better than you could ever manage and calls it embarrassing.

Venetus posted:

But oh man, "this piece," look at you talking about my garbage like it's worth caring about.

*self-depreciation alert*! Nooo no no no not like this here I made you a thing:

All good artists were really REALLY poo poo starting out, and once you get going, even if you're not THE BEST you can still be good and enjoy that and also caverodents.

Yesterday I also did a sexy ook:

*Kissy kissy*

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

There is a thin line between humility and self deprecation, and I'm total poo poo at walking it. Way worse then you guys obviously.

monkeymen and dinosaurs.

other sketches:
http://imgur.com/a/73nOO

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Reverse Minotaur lives in a long hallway with clear signage pointing to its location.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
The refrigerator can't take it any more and is cannibalizing itself. If you were a fridge this would be vulgar

Gonna paint this on my friends fridge which currently has a horrible, talentless painting on it.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Sharks are really old..?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I will never be able to un-see those hairy-rear end legs.
Don't even try to tell me traumatizing people with them wasn't your intention from the start.

Ancient unicorns!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

All good artists were really REALLY poo poo starting out, and once you get going, even if you're not THE BEST you can still be good and enjoy that

Seriously this. There's always gonna be an artist out there better than you or who has been drawing/painting/whatever longer, so why worry? Art is meant to be fun, not stressful.

That said, the Day of the Dude is right around the corner:

E: finished

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scathach fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 5, 2016

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Don't even try to tell me traumatizing people with them wasn't your intention from the start.

Oh...

...just wait until you see the Reverse Manticore.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
What a fantastic painting.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

neonnoodle posted:

What a fantastic painting.

Thanks!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

GreatJob posted:

...just wait until you see the Reverse Manticore.

:magical:

This is freaking excellent why are you not painting cats all the time? The expression is perfect.

rzal posted:

There is a thin line between humility and self deprecation, and I'm total poo poo at walking it.

The key here is to acknowledge that any time you show someone a drawing there's a voice screaming "oh god the art is so bad you suck at this poo poo so hard how can you even continue to exist why not commit ritual seppuku as an apology right now" and then to quietly grab that voice and suffocate it like the bitch that it is. Give it the finger as you wrest the life from it. Tell yourself NO THAT'S BULLSHIT I'M A BEAUTIFUL CHILD OF LIGHT AND I DRAW BUTTS LIKE NO-ONE ELSE.

..that's what I do every time I post.

I made old babby

and to prove my point about butts, here's a golden treebutt poopin' a rainbow:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Y'know the more you practice and draw/paint/sculpt/whatever that voice will progressively get smaller and quieter. Never stop creating and trying to improve your art, in the past year I've finally honed my skills to the point where I feel like my art is ready to be unleashed on the world. :feelsgood:

It's taken me almost 9 years to get there and I'm getting better everyday. I'm great.

MrSquid
Jul 2, 2005
"Rowsdower Mobile awaaaaaay!!!"
Incense burner.

WHATISITWHATISITWHATISITWHATISITWHATISITWHATISIT

I firedog. Do you firedog?

MrSquid fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 6, 2016

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Some recent life drawing, doing more and more portraits, really want to continue on that route, it's kind of addicting getting a similar likeness to an actual person's face and then showing them.

Just messing around but it actually looks a bit more like the actual model than the above somehow.

Self-portrait, i think my mouth doesn't quite look like that but it's pretty close overall

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Cave people and animals

Other sketches:
http://imgur.com/a/iOynE

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Tonight some drunk dude got super pissed at me for calling his friend a moron to her face. To my credit she was/is. She admitted to voting for Trump and also exclaimed how Obama wasn't a US citizen. Guy threatened to kick my teeth in. I laughed and kept drawing.

Here's my artistic rendering of the guy. I may have taken a few liberties with him, but it's a pretty uncanny likeness.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

more conceptarting

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
The prehistoric precursor to the pegasus roams the lands. Proto-pegasus, you might say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

• Locked thread