Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Lots of good stuff going on in this image.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

The prehistoric precursor to the pegasus roams the lands. Proto-pegasus, you might say.

A Shetland pony-asus. A wooly uni-peg.

I looked up some paleolithic art, also cats with overbites.

other sketches:
http://imgur.com/a/njpiF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Pterosaur ptuesday Tupuxuara

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Elf ancestor

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Sharpest Crayon posted:

*self-depreciation alert*! Nooo no no no not like this here I made you a thing:

All good artists were really REALLY poo poo starting out, and once you get going, even if you're not THE BEST you can still be good and enjoy that and also caverodents.

Scathach posted:

Seriously this. There's always gonna be an artist out there better than you or who has been drawing/painting/whatever longer, so why worry? Art is meant to be fun, not stressful.

Sorry, I tend to be kind of negative about things. I'll try to be less annoying about it. Thanks for the caverodents. :3:

Here's that experiment with watercolor. I admittedly just messed around with this to get a feel for how the paint behaves, so there's no attempt at shading or even staying in the lines or anything here.

The paper got super curly but that's to be expected since it's just generic sketch paper that I didn't even bother to tape down or anything. Dog nougat suggested the ink might bleed but I got surprisingly little of that. I'd bet it'd be a total non-issue if I bothered to get some pens claiming to be waterproof. Or, you know, do color first and add linework after. Overall the paint was a lot less intimidating to work with than I expected, and I think it will be fun to play with going forward. I just wish proper watercolor paper wasn't so pricey. :(

Sharpest Crayon posted:

The prehistoric precursor to the pegasus roams the lands. Proto-pegasus, you might say.

I love both of these. Candle lady kind of reminds me of Song of the Sea or something.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Venetus posted:

I just wish proper watercolor paper wasn't so pricey. :(

Fun fact: because watercolour paper is so absorbant (and often very porous), there's a chance that whatever ink pen you use on it will spread. I found the best way to do ink and watercolours was to buy a good-quality sketch paper, something that's a bit more solid than you basic printer paper. That way your inks won't get sucked in and spread by the paper, and the paper's sturdy enough to handle a bit of water without crinkling - some of the pads have the pages "gummed" together on both ends to give even more solidity.
If you have to keep working on printer paper, you should avoid layering the watercolour the way you're supposed to do it, and use them as dry as possible, trying to get the amount of pigment you need down on the first go.

Now who wants to pet the little sabretooth?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Fun fact: because watercolour paper is so absorbant (and often very porous), there's a chance that whatever ink pen you use on it will spread. I found the best way to do ink and watercolours was to buy a good-quality sketch paper, something that's a bit more solid than you basic printer paper. That way your inks won't get sucked in and spread by the paper, and the paper's sturdy enough to handle a bit of water without crinkling - some of the pads have the pages "gummed" together on both ends to give even more solidity.
If you have to keep working on printer paper, you should avoid layering the watercolour the way you're supposed to do it, and use them as dry as possible, trying to get the amount of pigment you need down on the first go.

Interesting, thanks. Do you have a suggestion for a specific type of sketch paper? The picture I posted (and everything I've posted in these threads, I think) was done on "Heavy Weight (117 g/m2)" paper, assuming the cover of this sketchbook isn't lying to me.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Master of Stealth
Oct 12, 2012
Do shoggoths count as prehistoric?

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Scathach posted:

These cards are cute as hell! :kimchi:

I'm really having fun doing illustration stuff. Such a relief after doing so many portraits and painting-style pieces that take way too long.

E:

Really good - reminds me of shadowrun for some reason.

Here is some random figure drawing. All the same girl.

The batgirl outfit especially got me.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Feels like an eternity since I drew anything... Turns out it's been like 2 days.

Sketched this out tonight. A wooden raygun/raycannon.

Still not quite cobbled together and rickety looking enough for me but it's a pretty solid start.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Thanks! And yeah my stuff tends to be kinda cyberpunk weird. Definitely a bit like Shadowrun, which I downloaded and have yet to actually play :/

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

Venetus posted:

Ah, that lovely feeling when someone shows off something better than you could ever manage and calls it embarrassing.

Going back to this for a bit. I don't know if anyone else has this, but everytime I start a new sketch/painting I have a mild freakout and become convinced that I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing and whatever I'm doing will come out horribly. This is especially true for shading, as it's the thing I'm the worst at at the moment (that I know about). I'm getting better about getting the voice to shush and just put my head down and draw, especially as I'm posting more of my stuff on here and other places. I'm also having a easier time acknowledging that these pieces are just a snapshot of my skill level at the moment, and I can get better as long as I keep working at it.

This is beautiful. Love the expression.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Now who wants to pet the little sabretooth?

Oh my god, this is the cutest thing ever.

I've had the hell flu for the past month and couldn't really do much drawing while the world was spinning. I've been working on this in between moments of wanting to crawl back into bed. Still got to finish the hair and figure out how to do the fur swirls as well as the final detail work.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Doodled this:

And finished this:

:toot:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
More progress on wooden rayguns.

I'm too lazy to take a proper picture, so my Instagram post picture will suffice.

Edit: here's my Instagram for anyone interested.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 12, 2016

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Finally had a few minutes free time to refine this sketch from earlier in the month.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Venetus posted:

Interesting, thanks. Do you have a suggestion for a specific type of sketch paper? The picture I posted (and everything I've posted in these threads, I think) was done on "Heavy Weight (117 g/m2)" paper, assuming the cover of this sketchbook isn't lying to me.

Yeee-es, I have great suggestions. If you happen to be in Finland. In case anyone is or you're able to get your hands on these:
the joutsen series of papers is not only really affordable, they're great quality and I exclusively used these sketchbooks when I couldn't get my hands on these:
their watercolour paper, also affordable and great. (looking at it now, you can get them for 2,20euros/pack when you buy bulk, but even separate they're about 4 euros per pad - 20 pages each)
Another suggestion that can work if you wanna try just watercolours - cheap wallpaper. It's designed to take moisture, the backside never has a pattern and it's nice and thick and you can make your paintings as long as you want! :D

buffybot posted:

I don't know if anyone else has this, but everytime I start a new sketch/painting I have a mild freakout and become convinced that I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing and whatever I'm doing will come out horribly. I'm getting better about getting the voice to shush and just put my head down and draw, especially as I'm posting more of my stuff on here and other places.

I like talking about this because basically YES EVERY TIME. If I stop to think about what I'm doing when I draw it's instant "oh no this looks so bad and everything is terrible forever" This is why I try to encourage people when they doubt themselves, it's a bit easier to silence the voice when it's someone else telling you you're doing great. Talking of which, that is hella cute and what I'd do is pick out the swirls in only the outlines of shapes with a thin solid brush - just enough to guide the eye along the main shapes. (This is probably not a good idea if you want to keep it realistic since outlines are The Devil for that, sorry)

Meanwhile somewhere else a wild oc appears (not my oc)

along with cake for a birthday

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Tried inking some more after watching videos of Jim Lee doing convention sketches. Just felt tip pens and sharpies in this one.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 14, 2016

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Got some color done, still a lot of work to do though.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Prehistoric bunny n wolf peeps

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

gmc9987 posted:

Got some color done, still a lot of work to do though.

This is super nice already. The foreground needs a bit of work to really pull everything together, but you probably already know that.

schmarson
Dec 21, 2012

MY DUDES

Ultra Carp
It's still Pi Day where I am! Happy Pi Day 2016 everybody!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I made a Dwarf lady. That's pretty cave-y.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

First (successful) attempt at using strong values. I was surprised by how well the hard transitions on the face worked.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Turned my drawing into a flyer.

Not really sure if it is working. Especially not sure about the smoke element.

Help please!! I feel like I suck at graphic design. Font will be fixed soon.

All three in order here. Definitely like the 1rst and 3rd best.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 15, 2016

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

Turned my drawing into a flyer.

Not really sure if it is working. Especially not sure about the smoke element.

Help please!! I feel like I suck at graphic design. Font will be fixed soon.

All three in order here. Definitely like the 1rst and 3rd best.

The 3rd seems the best overall and most eye-catching. It's not super apparent what the flyer is for though. But agreed on the font as is, it totally doesn't fit the visual theme. I'd say a serifed, kinda angular font would work well here.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Reene posted:

I made a Dwarf lady. That's pretty cave-y.

Love me some ladybeards :allears: The freaking disappointment in Dragon Age: Inquisition when all my dwarf lady could get was a lovely stubble :arghfist::(

There used to be huge freaking bears, right? So maybe huge freaking beargryphons too?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Let us settle our differences in the traditional way

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I saw this hilarious faceswap and I needed to draw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

more conceptarting. Mecha design is hard.

• Locked thread