Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

S.T.C.A. posted:

WHERE THE gently caress IS MY BOOM BEACH OP UPDATE, GUH

This looks awesome.

the OP still isn't finished yet dingus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tut
Nov 4, 2004

For new players, I will say that the thing about waiting for chests gets less annoying over time. That or I'm just now content with putting the game down for a few hours at a time. And I've played for a month or so now.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

tut posted:

For new players, I will say that the thing about waiting for chests gets less annoying over time. That or I'm just now content with putting the game down for a few hours at a time. And I've played for a month or so now.

Unless you have thousands of dollars to drop, it's going to take you months/years to get even remotely close to maxed out in a Super Cell game. The thing you realize eventually, is any money you spend to speed poo poo up, you could have just waited a couple weeks and you would have got it for free. And a couple weeks in these games is a blink.

That said, if dropping 20 bucks on a game early is going to make it way more fun for you, you shouldn't feel bad.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
If you're like most of us, you're from CoC, and you've waited a loving long time for upgrades. It ain't no thang now.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
I just spun up a clan since it seems the others were full.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
First couple multiplayer matches and I'm thrown against loving dragons and poo poo that I can't actually defend against??

Hold up this lady with the canon bodied the dragon. This is a cool game.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 3, 2016

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Yeah, Babby Dragon is in a really good spot where its good but not great at almost everything for 4 elixir.

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.
Sometimes you can just let the dragon get killed by your tower, maybe put down some spear gobbos after the dragon has locked on your tower.

Epics are generally +4 and rares are +2 compared to the level of common cards, so epics are really powerful in the beginning.

Baby pekka sucks though.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
skeleton army is pretty great too

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Give Pat a Job posted:

orggy - count me in!

e: when i level up

a whole buncha crows fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 3, 2016

Kp
Aug 3, 2002

Lets drill

Give Pat a Job posted:

Applied as Cheliax. As a coc player who mainly plays because of co-workers, this game is actually pretty nice. Every battle is fast and I ended up playing for a while last night even though I wasn't gaining any new chests or crowns.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Ajon posted:

Baby pekka sucks though.

It's the best defense against giants and other tanks at low levels

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Agoat posted:

First couple multiplayer matches and I'm thrown against loving dragons and poo poo that I can't actually defend against??

Hold up this lady with the canon bodied the dragon. This is a cool game.

This is my reaction every time I run up against a card combo I've never seen before. A big part of winning is knowing what to play in response, so it can be frustrating until you learn how most units work.

SPM
Jan 7, 2009

Give Pat a Job posted:

Applied as well!

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

The dragon is bullshit, the musket lady is like the only counter to it I've found so far

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I've noy had any serious problems with dragons, musketeers or archers seem to handle them OK

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

wall monitor posted:

The dragon is bullshit, the musket lady is like the only counter to it I've found so far

Hidden Tesla counters the dragon pretty well. it also counters Hogs and Prince, and semi-counters Barbs/Knight/Pekka/Minions/Wizard/Archers, it's a pretty good card.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Sent my Salty Goons request. There was only one spot left.

Edit: Wow that was fast.. Thanks :)

I would have joined the new guild if I had seen it, I didn't see that there was a new page when I replied.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 3, 2016

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

wall monitor posted:

Never use Musket lady unless you're sure they don't have a baby dragon. Also you could always distract it with a fattie like Giant and then drop spear goblins or Minions to take it out.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Dizz posted:

Also you could always distract it with a fattie like Giant and then drop spear goblins or Minions to take it out.

I'll try this, though now it bugs me that I'd be spending 7 elixir on countering a 4 elixir minion

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Baby dragon has very low DPS and one distraction allows for your towers to easily kill it

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Applied to join Goondolences as Roid.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"

Give Pat a Job posted:

Applied as rundown

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

wall monitor posted:

I'll try this, though now it bugs me that I'd be spending 7 elixir on countering a 4 elixir minion

In the end, if those units survive, it means you get an easy push to their tower that the enemy now has to respond to or take the damage.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

For beginning players, one thing you might not have noticed right away (I didn't :v:) is that you can drop new units to change the aggro of enemy units, depending on the situation. The general rule is, if an enemy unit is walking down the lane toward your towers, if you drop a unit close to it that it can attack, it will. You can check which units will respond this way by selecting a card and holding down your finger over a spot on the board (but don't release!). The units that will get "distracted" will show a little "!" icon and a sound will play.

One way I've used this is to buy time against giants, or any unit that only attacks structures. You can wait until the giant is almost all the way to your tower, then drop another structure. Sometimes you can even make the giant walk further to your new structure than it would have had to walk to the tower.

Another way I've used it is to protect my units from a dangerous enemy unit. Let's say a babby Pekka is getting close to my tower, but it's damaged. I drop three spear goblins back behind my tower to finish it off without losing any of them. Then they drop a babby dragon, which will obliterate my goblins when they meet. I can then prevent this by distracting the dragon with a beefy unit, and if I place the beefy unit in the right spot, it will allow my gobbos to lend their support without getting torched.

This tactic can be used poorly, though. It can be tempting to drop something, anything, to slow down a scary enemy unit. But throwing stuff in the way out of panic is a good way to find yourself out of elixir and the wrong card combos in your hand. You'll also feel really dumb when you waste all your elixir and still lose the tower anyway :v:

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Ajon posted:

Baby pekka sucks though.

Everyone says this but I usually drop him (her?) as a splitpush after the enemy has committed to one side and he (she?) ends up taking off a good 1/2 of a towers health.

I don't have prince yet so I guess it's a good replacement? What else would be better suited in that slot?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

what are some must haves I should be looking for in the gold shop?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Give Pat a Job posted:

Sent in my request as Khisanth.

Is there any way to dump a silver chest? I would like to keep playing and trying for better chests, but my chest storage is taken up with lovely silver ones.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 3, 2016

Labratio
Apr 22, 2003

Super
Hero
In
Training

Give Pat a Job posted:

Want to apply, don't have enough trophies. :(

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

DrManiac posted:

what are some must haves I should be looking for in the gold shop?

Right now I am running to pretty good results:
Prince
Baby Dragon
Giant
Musketeer
Mini Pekka (flex slot, may go Fireball here)
Knight (flex slot, may go spear goblins here)
Arrows
Minions (may swap this out for Army of the Dead if I can open a few)

Good mix of single target, aoe, air, and ground support. Knight counters Prince/Pekka split pushes, Pekka counters Giants, Prince split pushes. Arrows and Dragon clear the way. Giant tanks big waves and let's a push form behind him. Musket takes out Witches/Dragons. Minions take out Pekkas and Princes.

Pretty much keep a balanced approach of having 2-3 answers for each major category of tanky/bursty/aoe.

Seems like commons/rares to watch for in the shop early on are Giant, Fireball, Minions, Arrows. They seem to be pretty versatile no matter what you're playing against. Prince, Baby Dragon, and Army of the Dead are epics I would personally pick up a 2nd copy of to level up right now, dunno how others play out later.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

Right now I am running to pretty good results:
Prince
Baby Dragon
Giant
Musketeer
Mini Pekka (flex slot, may go Fireball here)
Knight (flex slot, may go spear goblins here)
Arrows
Minions (may swap this out for Army of the Dead if I can open a few)

Good mix of single target, aoe, air, and ground support. Knight counters Prince/Pekka split pushes, Pekka counters Giants, Prince split pushes. Arrows and Dragon clear the way. Giant tanks big waves and let's a push form behind him. Musket takes out Witches/Dragons. Minions take out Pekkas and Princes.

Pretty much keep a balanced approach of having 2-3 answers for each major category of tanky/bursty/aoe.

Seems like commons/rares to watch for in the shop early on are Giant, Fireball, Minions, Arrows. They seem to be pretty versatile no matter what you're playing against. Prince, Baby Dragon, and Army of the Dead are epics I would personally pick up a 2nd copy of to level up right now, dunno how others play out later.

I always buy 3 of the common(s) and 1 of the rare(s) card.
You can donate them to clan members at a profit.

Also note there are twice as many cards in the store on Sundays, 2 commons/2 rares/2 epics.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Give Pat a Job posted:

Just applied as Unlucky7.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So what's the etiquette for requesting cards?

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
gonna apply once able to, installed this poo poo for a day and running down bases with baby drag + prince

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

Is there any way to dump a silver chest? I would like to keep playing and trying for better chests, but my chest storage is taken up with lovely silver ones.

That isn't how the chest system works; you don't roll dice behind the scenes for a specific rarity of chest. You get them in a set order, and you have to unlock one to free up its spot.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Lutha Mahtin posted:

That isn't how the chest system works; you don't roll dice behind the scenes for a specific rarity of chest. You get them in a set order, and you have to unlock one to free up its spot.

So, what, I get a gold chest after opening a specific number of silvers or something?

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Applying to Goondolences

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Ajon posted:

Baby pekka sucks though.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Khisanth Magus posted:

So, what, I get a gold chest after opening a specific number of silvers or something?

Contrary to what many believe, the type of chest you get is predetermined and not based on RNG. I've only ever gotten 1 magical chest and 4-5 golden chests since it came out on Android.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
I'm rocking the following:

goblins hut - seems to wreck a lot of people
giant
witch
mini pekka
goblins
goblin ranged
prince
minions

works very well so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

So what's the etiquette for requesting cards?

You should request as often as you can (every 8 hours). Everyone else gets gold and experience for donating to you, so it benefits everyone if people request often.