Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
like, i've done a lot of pretty cool stuff and have had a pretty decent life, but like... what does it mean to be happy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Happiness is just chemicals in the brain, OP. Take a pill that makes you happy and you will be happy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nobody is ever happy. Happiness is an illusion.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
theosis faget!!

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Crushing your enemies in battle, seeing them driven before you and hearing the lamentation of their women.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Jesus Christ posted:

like, i've done a lot of pretty cool stuff and have had a pretty decent life, but like... what does it mean to be happy?

different things make different people happy. what being happy means is that you have succeeded in one of the things that makes you happy.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Happiness isn't a state but a reaction to certain events. It's not something youre supposed to experience all the time. It's a more positive variation of the weird knotty feeling you feel in your stomach when youre watching a vase fall off a dresser, when it's still mid air and its just hanging there and youre watching it without being able to think, and in 1 second you'll be snapped back to dealing with rational choices and having to make a decision on how to deal with the pieces; but those 0.2 seconds where it's in the air and youre just watching and everything is inevitable and you're just purely feeling this very strong and very unnameable feeling of what is happening around you, those 0.2 seconds are the same phenomenological space where you get to feel bursts of happiness every once in a life, if youre lucky.

e: which means the key to happiness is not to pursue it but perhaps to try and set up one's life in a way that leaves one phenomenologically sensible to as many of these potential moments and bursts as possible.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
In modern times happiness is your perceived comfort. But we tried to pass a square peg into a round hole and here we are without comfort or happiness.

So comfort should actually be the ability to withstand things, thus the absent of the reaction about the "bad" or "uncomfortable" leads to actual happiness.

Or carbs, you could eat a lot of carbs

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
it's just contentment. a general positive quality and stability throughout your life that can weather the occasional pitfall without it being disastrous. in the broad sense anyway.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Alternative theory: happiness is to post pictures of the rad dog in GBS until genesplicer brutally owns you.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Mannequin was filmed at Woolworth.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
As Kant reminds us, if it was nature's intent that we should be (and prioritize to be) happy beings, we would either not have been made rational beings, or rationality would have functioned in such a way as to make happiness the prime outcome of rational thought. Since neither seems to be the case, it's probably just the case that we are not as rational beings "meant" to be happy the same way a cow is "meant" to e.g. eat grass. If happiness was our purpose, Kant says, it would have been made a basic instinct, rather than a task of reason.

eugenics_slut
Feb 27, 2016

by zen death robot
4 the fascist its apparently a series of overly aggressive flourishes 4 those looking to move on but wishing to be compensated the cost of a yamaha bolt

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jesus Christ posted:

Hey guys! i found Him!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Minimalist Program posted:

As Kant reminds us, if it was nature's intent that we should be (and prioritize to be) happy beings, we would either not have been made rational beings, or rationality would have functioned in such a way as to make happiness the prime outcome of rational thought. Since neither seems to be the case, it's probably just the case that we are not as rational beings "meant" to be happy the same way a cow is "meant" to e.g. eat grass. If happiness was our purpose, Kant says, it would have been made a basic instinct, rather than a task of reason.

But satisfying our basic instincts is what makes us happy. Happiness, therefore, is an indicator of whether we are doing a good job functioning the way we're "meant" to, so in a roundabout way we are "meant" to be happy.

Eat it, Kant.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jesus Christ posted:

I don't think you've done any cool stuff.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Applewhite posted:

But satisfying our basic instincts is what makes us happy. Happiness, therefore, is an indicator of whether we are doing a good job functioning the way we're "meant" to, so in a roundabout way we are "meant" to be happy.

Eat it, Kant.

This GBS poster just destroyed Immanuel Kant... you won't believe what happened next..

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
stfu by doctor dennis leary

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Eat it, Kant.

im pretty sure they didnt have sick nasty rails of coke in the neolithic era

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Applewhite posted:

Happiness is just chemicals in the brain, OP. Take a pill that makes you happy and you will be happy.

you are wrong!!!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
haha kant was a really unhappy dude i bet but that's ok i would still give him a friendly noogie.

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
Happiness is the surrendering oneself to the will of God
Happiness is the bottle laudanum behind the bathroom mirror.
Happiness is the denial of the flesh so the spirit may prosper.
Happiness is the chocolate cake stolen from that fat kid in the schoolyard
Happiness is the anorexic reward received when the teenager starves herself for social acceptance
Happiness is the burglar's satisfaction when he steals something of sentimental, rather than materialistic, value from an old woman's home
Happiness is the martyrdom of the self, destruction of the monad, the sacrifice of individuality so that All may be embraced
Happiness is the murder of the enemy of your father's father
Happiness is the purpose a father and husband feels when they fulfill the manly expectations of their family
Happiness is the when the misanthrope's finger hovers over the red button of atomic annihilation

Tonsured fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 3, 2016

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It's the feeling you get when you're right in the middle of taking a huge poo poo

I believe Maslow referred to it as "self-actualization"

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

*exhales massive cloud of crack smoke*

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
It's whoever dies with the most stuff. I'm a hoarder so I'm off to a great start

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I'd be the last person to know. I'm indifferent in life at best.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Happenis is a big dick, OP.

Yours or someone else's. Doesn't matter.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tonsured posted:

Happiness is the surrendering oneself to the will of God
Happiness is the bottle laudanum behind the bathroom mirror.
Happiness is the denial of the flesh so the spirit may prosper.
Happiness is the chocolate cake stolen from that fat kid in the schoolyard
Happiness is the anorexic reward received when the teenager starves herself for social acceptance
Happiness is the burglar's satisfaction when he steals something of sentimental, rather than materialistic, value from an old woman's home
Happiness is the martyrdom of the self, destruction of the monad, the sacrifice of individuality so that All may be embraced
Happiness is the murder of the enemy of your father's father
Happiness is the purpose a father and husband feels when they fulfill the manly expectations of their family
Happiness is the when the misanthrope's finger hovers over the red button of atomic annihilation

You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown reboot looking pretty dark

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

It means you're doing the right drugs

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
happiness is a warm gun - john lennon

also five guys burgers and fries

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
Once basic needs are met, and the struggle for basic food and shelter is eliminated, then happiness is fully controlled by the self

You control your inner well being through introspection, self improvement, and minimizing negative relationships
You control your sense of worth by rejecting materialism, and embracing service to your fellow man
You control the quantity and quality of your friendships by the amount and depth of your social interaction

So bootstrap it rear end in a top hat

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
That feeling you get when you don't gently caress up dinner but before you put it in your mouth because dinner you make yourself never tastes as good as it should but you are happy that you didn't burn that poo poo

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
Happiness is a marketing term used to sell you useless junk you didn't know you wanted. It is an ideal state created as an illusion to distract the proletariat from their exploitation. As such it's a state never quite achieved, you always asymtote towards it, getting closer and closer with ever more material goods you possess but with diminishing returns so you never quite reach it.

Apparently, if you're very very lucky and disciplined, you can trick your mind with a combination of CBT and self hypnosis to redefine your definition of "happiness" while also suppressing any useless desires for stuff you don't have. From there you can reach the point where you honestly say, while puffed up in self-delusion and cognitive dissonance, that you are happy. I think cults still teach this skill, somewhere between the part where they take all your money and the part where they offer you a drink of delicious cool-aid.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

answer me honestly w/o thinking about it - is there a song in your heart right now?

eugenics_slut
Feb 27, 2016

by zen death robot
ur gay

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

answer me honestly w/o thinking about it - is there a song in your heart right now?

:(

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i hope everyone finds the song in their heart

mine is an uptempo, dixieland version of 'hail to the chief' and a dopey looking basset hound is being inaugurated president :)

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ive got some ghosts in my closet

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Shaquin posted:

it's just contentment. a general positive quality and stability throughout your life that can weather the occasional pitfall without it being disastrous. in the broad sense anyway.

YES
Contentment is what people actually want but it lacks the excitement implied in 'happiness'.
"Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" are "inherent and inalienable rights" according to the Declaration of Independence, but you have to figure out for yourself that the pursuit of happiness is essentially a hamster wheel.

Also the definition of "pursuit of happiness" has changed over the years and has become BUY poo poo

ghlbtsk fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Happiness is not climbing the mountain, not getting to the top, not the adventure, not the accomplishment, but engulfing the entire mountain in ones womb and birthing the universe in reverse, beams of light shooting out of your eyes and ears as your womb consumes the entirety of known existance.

• Locked thread