Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
We all love watching anime, but how about listening to people talk about anime? Maybe you're the one talking about anime and want to get the word out.

This thread is for sharing and discussing various anime podcasts.

Have one you like a bunch? Share it!
Have a podcast of your own? Share it! (And if you have a new episode out, post that too!)
Thinking of starting your own? Maybe talk about it here too, I guess?

I'll link whatever podcasts people want to share in this post, for easy access. Go ahead and share YouTube versions and video podcast links as well. (Please share things so it doesn't look like I made a thread just to plug my own poo poo.)

Podcast List:
  • Anime Kiwi (RSS | iTunes | Google Play | YouTube) - Goon mikeycp talks with two co-hosts about a movie or episodes of a series. Currently Watching: Legend of the Galactic Heroes and various movies. (Note: Their feed and contains all of mikeycp's podcasts, so sometimes non-anime content will pop up. Ditto for YT.)
  • Animation Dissection (RSS | iTunes) - Hosts Neeksy and Zorak watch and analyze animated films and TV shows, looking closely at the moving parts to figure out why they work (or in many cases don't). Let's explore the world of cartoons through vivisection! Metaphorically. Sometimes.
  • Anime World Order (RSS | iTunes) - A podcast all about Japanese cartoons and comics as discussed by three self-proclaimed experts in the world of anime and manga! Plus anime news / reviews, coverage of classic anime, hentai / yaoi, and much, much more.
  • Weekly Manga Recap (RSS) - Hosts Chris Larios & Nikolas Freeman run down the new weekly manga chapters with an eye to critique while still going off on joking tangents.
  • Fast Karate for the Gentleman (RSS) - Two long time friends being funny and talking about anime. Their anime episodes are great, especially any time they dip into 80's OAVs. They cover video games and 24 sometimes as well.
  • Jojo's World (RSS | iTunes) - A fortnightly Jojo's Bizarre Adventure recap and discussion podcast. Roach Warehouse and a friend watch an episode then have an unscripted, largely coherent discussion of its influences, references and anything else that leaps into their heads.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'll start the sharing.

Anime Kiwi Is a podcast that I host with two other people, usually some combination of goons randombattle, cat doter, and Another Person. We currently have two formats running at once, one where we watch 4 episodes of a series each week and talk about them, in the other we pick a movie and talk about it. Our first "season" covers Legend of the Galactic Heroes (though this season maaaaaay end much earlier than intended). We have also covered Summer Wars, and the two Gurren Lagann movies (the episode for the second one will be up in a few days as of this post).

The idea is that the third host is not an "anime person," and the content we pick is chosen to appeal to them and win them over. Think of it as Extreme Home Makeover, except with anime.

We encourage people to watch along and write in. We record on Wednesdays PST (at earliest), and episodes go up sometime on Sunday.

Here are links to our stuff:

Season 1: LoGH & Movie Specials | iTunes | RSS | Website

Please note that all of my podcast projects will pop up on the RSS and iTunes, not just the anime ones, as I can't afford to run hosting for more than one thing. I have no excuse for the YouTube, but I didn't link you to the non-anime stuff here, sooo

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Epic thread my man I love a good podcast!

Just like to put this one out there its one of my favorites. Anime Dissection

quote:

Hosts Neeksy and Zorak watch and analyze animated films and TV shows, looking closely at the moving parts to figure out why they work (or in many cases don't). Let's explore the world of cartoons through vivisection! Metaphorically. Sometimes.

It's great everyone should check it out!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Oh cool! I didn't know Zorak had a podcast.
I'll definitely give it a listen.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 3, 2016

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
Anime World Order (RSS iTunes) recently passed its 10 year anniversary and the original publicity for it started right here, in this very subforum. I'm one third of the trio and also handle the production and administration side of it. As a rule, we wait to cover series until after they've completed, so our audience has never been the largest on account that most anime fan discussion is based on the latest and greatest. Well, that and we have no formal release schedule and no real presence on Youtube/streaming video sites, aka where the audience is. We know this, but we hate recommending titles which start off strong then fall apart so much that we'll take the massive potential popularity hit rather than feed into that.

Much of what we review are older titles on account that as a result of podcasting, I've been a reviewer with Otaku USA Magazine since its inception and cover the new releases in there.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Awesome! Added you to the list. I just took the tagline from your site, so if you want something different up there, just let me know.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

A very timely thread. I have been looking for a good anime podcast this week. Thanks!

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Daryl Surat posted:

Anime World Order (RSS iTunes) recently passed its 10 year anniversary and the original publicity for it started right here, in this very subforum. I'm one third of the trio and also handle the production and administration side of it. As a rule, we wait to cover series until after they've completed, so our audience has never been the largest on account that most anime fan discussion is based on the latest and greatest. Well, that and we have no formal release schedule and no real presence on Youtube/streaming video sites, aka where the audience is. We know this, but we hate recommending titles which start off strong then fall apart so much that we'll take the massive potential popularity hit rather than feed into that.

Much of what we review are older titles on account that as a result of podcasting, I've been a reviewer with Otaku USA Magazine since its inception and cover the new releases in there.

I was very surprised when I clicked on your sig while browsing the 2002 adtrw archive and it led to a still running podcast. Guess that original advertising still works.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've considered starting an anime podcast on and off over the years, but I always hit similar roadblocks:

1)Need a 2nd to bounce ideas off of.

2)Trying to finalize some of the topics to cover in each installment.

3)Legal song and dance; if a podcast is free, what are the rules in music that you can use?

I've always felt like starting at 30-45 minutes would give me a better idea of how it'd work. The last test run I did it ended up going an hour and fifteen minutes, and there was plenty to cut.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

For music, I grab a few tracks from the OST I like, chop 10-15 seconds out of it for episode bumpers, and upload it to YT early. If Content ID grabs it I try a different track. If not I leave it. It's probably not the most legally sound way to go, but it seems reasonable to me?

I also give music credits in the episode descriptions, of course.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Sorry to double post (I won't do it again, probably [I'll just edit new stuff into this post until it's not necessary to do so anymore]), but I wanted to post this week's episode of Anime Kiwi, in which we make someone watch the second Gurren Lagann movie without them having seen the series (we watched the first movie last week).

Anime Kiwi Special #3 - Gurren Lagann: Lagann-hen:
Audio Version
YouTube Version

---
3/13/16

Anime Kiwi Special #4 - Angel's Egg:
Audio Version
YouTube Version

---
3/17/16

Anime Kiwi Watches
Feed Version
YouTube Version
YouTube Doubler

This is a very special bonus commentary track in which we watch In the Aftermath: Angels Never Sleep, a movie that inexplicably used footage from Angel's Egg to help with its narrative.

I realize my instructions at the start are a little off, so please use the names that are read out to sync up. Sorry for the inconvenience. I've put together a YouTube Doubler to make it easier.

---
3/20/16

Anime Kiwi Special #5 - Jin-Roh:
Audio Version
YouTube Version

---
The next episode will be returning to Legend of the Galactic Heroes, episodes 17-20.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 20, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Here's a brand new post for a new episode of Season 1 - Legend of the Galactic Heroes (First Season).

Audio Version
YouTube Version

This week we talk about episodes 17-20 and talk about killing, axes, and things that go on for too long.

Next week is the penultimatefinal episode that will cover episodes 21-26.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 3, 2016

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It may not be anime but I like Weekly Manga Recap

They have humorous discussions about Weekly Shounen Jump and viewer Manga suggestions

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Fast Karate for the Gentleman is one of my favorite podcasts. It's just two long time friends being funny and talking about anime. They cover video games and 24 sometimes as well if that interest anyone but their anime episodes are great, especially any time they dip into 80's OAVs.

They are friends with the Anime World Order crew and interact on occasion.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Awesome! Both have been added to the OP!

Ethiser, I hope it's alright that I basically just took your pitch and used it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

This week we did a weird episode that covered the last 6 episodes (21-26) of the first season of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Thanks for listening to whoever was!

Audio Version
YouTube Version

We also watched Cat Soup because it was short and we wanted to!

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Lastly, next week will be a special episode in which I pitch to cat doter four series being considered for Season 2 (The Tatami Galaxy, Mononoke, Kids on the Slope, Haibane Renmei). Please vote in this poll to help us decide what to watch!! http://bit.ly/AKS02POLL

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Ah AWO. My Formative Podcasting experience; the ODIN review is still a classic.

That and that bit about hitting the guy in charge of Harmony Gold in the face with a pie.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 3, 2016

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me
Does anyone want to collaborate on some Aum Shinrikyo poo poo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hH547DGhVk

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That would probably be good for a double feature with Koji Shiraishi's Occult.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I voted Tatami Galaxy on that poll, since not only do I think that it's the most interesting of those shows to discuss, but also that it's the sort of show that I think works very well for a roundtable discussion since there's so much going on in that show that it can really facilitate the conversation.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Cool! Thanks! Tatami Galaxy and Kids on the Slope are what I'm most interested in right now, though I haven't watched the first episodes of everything like I wanted to yet.

Definitely glad to have your input on the matter. I'll definitely bring it up in-recording!

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

All of those shows are good, or at least do something interesting. Should be able to get plenty of :words: out of any of them tbh.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That's the hope! With the exception of Tatami Galaxy, which I hadn't known about before searching for things to pitch, these are all things I was looking for an excuse to sit down and watch through anyway.

So it's win-win-win-win for me! (I hope)

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Srice posted:

I voted Tatami Galaxy on that poll, since not only do I think that it's the most interesting of those shows to discuss, but also that it's the sort of show that I think works very well for a roundtable discussion since there's so much going on in that show that it can really facilitate the conversation.

Two years ago when the Greatest Movie EVER! Podcast started up a sister podcast, GME! Anime Fun Time, they invited me on as a guest for an early episode. I requested we discuss The Tatami Galaxy, as it's a show I've loved since it aired that my AWO cohosts refuse to ever watch:

http://gmepodcast.com/2014/06/04/gme-anime-fun-time-episode-03-the-tatami-galaxy/

It would be nearly two years before I was ever allowed back on that podcast again a few months ago to talk about One-Punch Man.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Daryl Surat posted:

Two years ago when the Greatest Movie EVER! Podcast started up a sister podcast, GME! Anime Fun Time, they invited me on as a guest for an early episode. I requested we discuss The Tatami Galaxy, as it's a show I've loved since it aired that my AWO cohosts refuse to ever watch:

http://gmepodcast.com/2014/06/04/gme-anime-fun-time-episode-03-the-tatami-galaxy/

It would be nearly two years before I was ever allowed back on that podcast again a few months ago to talk about One-Punch Man.

I listened to that around when it came out and it was a great discussion! I wound up rewatching the show that very week.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I spend most of my time listening to music and stand-up albums. Any recommendable (read: not loving awful) podcasts you goons recommend?

Also, shocked that nobody has posted this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTGzW94JlGA

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Anime Kiwi: Season 2 - [Series to be Determined]
Episode 0

This week is the first week of season 2, but we don't know what we're going to watch! Listen to me and cat doter make this very important decision.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

I am very pleased by our decision and look forward to watching it.

We will be doing the same as the last show, 4 episodes per week.

Please Be Excited

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Oh, this is a convenient thread. A friend and I just launched an anime podcast.

Jojo's World is a fortnightly Jojo's Bizarre Adventure recap and discussion podcast. My friend and I watch an episode then have an unscripted, largely coherent discussion of its influences, references and anything else that leaps into our idiot heads.
Website
Here's the website
RSS Feed
iTunes

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Awesome! I'll add that right into the OP!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Anime Kiwi: Season 2 - Kids on the Slope
Episode 1

This week we watched the first 4 episodes of Kids on the Slope and talked about teens as well as the monetizing of said teens.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

I like this show a lot so far.

We also mentioned in this episode watching a second series this season, since 3 episodes isn't much of a season. I was thinking Nodame or Chihayafuru. Any thoughts one way or the other?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Always Chihayafuru

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Hace posted:

Always Chihayafuru

Your wish is my command. Despite some grumbling from doter, after Kids on the Slope we will be watching Chihayafuru to finish season 2!

(Also the podcast is on Google Play now. If anybody actually cares about that.)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kids on the Slope is really good and I'm going to be very sad when there is no more of it to watch. It owns real hard!

Most Recent Episode (Episode 2):
This week on Anime Kiwi we talked about Zero Escape, Student Riots, and Emotions

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Next Time on Anime Kiwi:
I am out of town next week, so there will be no Kids on the Slope chat. Instead we will have a short talk about Death Billiards in Anime Kiwi Special #7

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Most Recent Episode (Special #7):
This week we talked about weird faces and student film. Death Billiards was certainly...something.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Next Time on Anime Kiwi:
Next week we will finish up Kids on the Slope and start ramping up to start on Chihayafuru!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Most Recent Episode (Episode 3):
This week on Anime Kiwi we talked about Netflix, Jokes, and Trumpets.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Next Time on Anime Kiwi:
Next week we will be talking about episodes 1-4 of Chihayafuru! I'm looking forward to it, but it has a pretty high bar to clear after Kids on the Slope!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

as someone who just finished chihayafuru s1 it seems like a really bad fit for this format to do 4 episodes at a time for an hourlong discussion, it's a fairly straightforward show. honestly I think you'd be better off discussing the entirety of season 1 at once to talk about how the characters develop over the course of the season and recurring themes that come up between characters.

you probably should think about changing the number of episodes covered per podcast depending on which show you're doing. 4 is fine for something like tatami galaxy (or even less for a particularly heavy show like serial experiments lain) but for more straightforward shows like chihayafuru you're going to struggle to fill 6 hours

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

We don't try to fill an hour. I don't like to go over that length, but if we have less to talk about then we have absolutely no issue with going short.

I am definitely open to modifying the number of episodes or the format of the show to fit a series, though. The episode count thing is just a relic from when we were going to go through logh in a metered fashion. I think it was a pretty bold stroke of luck that Kids on the Slope broke up into 4 episode blocks so well, TBH.

I don't care for the idea of discussing a whole season on one sitting though. Part of the reason we do it like we do is to lightly emulate the idea of watching something week to week as it airs. But like I said, if an episode runs short it runs short, and it's not like we're always talking about just the show anyway.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Most Recent Episode (Episode 4):
This week on Anime Kiwi we started watching Chihayafuru! We also talked about Pixar, High School, and Griffin McElroy.

Episodes Discussed: Chihayafuru (CF) 1-4

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Next Time on Anime Kiwi:
Next week we will be talking about episodes 5-8 of Chihayafuru! Things apparently start really picking up in these next few eps, or so I've heard.

I like it quite a bit so far, though! The characters all seem really good!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Things are still a bit slow going so far in Chihayafuru, but I'm enjoying it. Can't wait for it to really dig into actual Karuta play, though! I've been watching the real stuff and it's super rad.
---
Most Recent Episode (Episode 5):
This week on Anime Kiwi we talked about The Rules of the Game, Bullying, and DOOM.

Episodes Discussed: Chihayafuru 5-8

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Things have picked up big time since last time we released an episode! I'm liking this show a lot. Sadly though we are almost done and starting to think about our next series. I was thinking of watching Monster and taking the number of episodes discussed down one or two. Thoughts?
---
Most Recent Episode (Episode 6):
Back at last from the world of technical difficulties and scheduling hell is Anime Kiwi!

This week we went over the episodes from The Lost Podcast (9-12) and we also talked about last week's guests, why superhero comics are terrible, and Final Fantasy 14.

Episodes Discussed: Chihayafuru (CF) 9-12 + 13-16

Audio Version
YouTube Version

• Locked thread