Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Who needs rss feeds, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I definitely have those at the top though? I'm trying to start conversations about stuff or get answers to questions I have. If anybody else wants to give updates on their stuff they are more than welcome to do so since I don't want this thread to be just my poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You can safely disregard namtab, mikey

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
Anime World Order (RSS iTunes)

It's a new page, so I suppose I can remind everyone my podcast exists too! In our most recent episode, I reviewed Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma. I prefer to watch things in their entirety before reviewing them, but as this series is ongoing, I have instead watched the entire first season of the anime and read every chapter of the manga to date all so I can do a review that spoils basically nothing:

http://www.animeworldorder.com/2016/05/anime-world-order-show-147-the-sharpest-blades-use-the-tears-of-orphans-for-cleaning.html

Next stop for us is AnimeNEXT this weekend out in Atlantic City, NJ where we are guests once again. Just our luck that many of our panels are scheduled opposite other things we'd want to see, such as Guest of Honor Rei Hiroe of Black Lagoon fame, but if you attend his Q&A, there's a strong chance that the pre-written questions being asked by whomever is the moderator are ones we supplied. Then again, our questions are possibly way too awesome to make it past any sort of Japanese media representative's filter, such that they'd sooner open it to the floor of people wanting to know "how can I move to Japan and write manga like you?" rather than ask what we put down, but how tremendous would it be if a few went through? THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Captain Invictus posted:

You can safely disregard namtab, mikey

Ok. Good to know.

Daryl Surat posted:

Next stop for us is AnimeNEXT this weekend out in Atlantic City, NJ where we are guests once again. Just our luck that many of our panels are scheduled opposite other things we'd want to see, such as Guest of Honor Rei Hiroe of Black Lagoon fame, but if you attend his Q&A, there's a strong chance that the pre-written questions being asked by whomever is the moderator are ones we supplied. Then again, our questions are possibly way too awesome to make it past any sort of Japanese media representative's filter, such that they'd sooner open it to the floor of people wanting to know "how can I move to Japan and write manga like you?" rather than ask what we put down, but how tremendous would it be if a few went through? THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!

What do you do at your panels? Last time I went to an anime con was before podcasts were a big thing so I don't really know how they would go/how they're received. The one time I ran a panel it was a ton of work even though it was a free form thing, so I can't imagine how hard having what I assume a mostly organized thing is.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

mikeycp posted:

What do you do at your panels? Last time I went to an anime con was before podcasts were a big thing so I don't really know how they would go/how they're received. The one time I ran a panel it was a ton of work even though it was a free form thing, so I can't imagine how hard having what I assume a mostly organized thing is.

Podcasting panels at anime conventions are generally not something I do, since nobody knows who audio-only podcasters are if they're not already famous celebrities from TV, film, sports, comics, Youtube, etc. I may be a "guest" but nobody at anime cons really knows who I am aside from a handful; I'm no anime dub voice actor or Japanese musical act or whatever. At the last convention I went to, they did ask me to do a live recording with some of the guests I knew; the only people who showed up either already knew me or were grabbing a seat for the next thing on the schedule. That conversation was done early in the morning with no organization beforehand, which is probably why the responses people give may only be tangentially related to what was asked.

What matters is less "who I am" so much as "what I do." Most convention panels that I consider worthwhile tend to be rehearsed/semi-rehearsed lectures with audio-visual aids rather than free-form stuff, in-character performances, or things heavy on audience Q&A. The panels I do are almost uniformly "I show video clips of things and talk over/between the clips" which requires a lot of watching, encoding, ordering, taking notes where necessary, and so on as I generally don't let clips run longer than 3-5 minutes and panels are typically about an hour or two long. The majority of people do PowerPoint or Keynote presentations with video clips since those include a Presenter mode for your notes; I don't since I prefer the ability to dynamically rearrange or adjust my presentations on the fly without that being shown on the screen. Example: one panel I've got this weekend is "Great Theatrical Anime Films." This requires me to compile a list ahead of time of films I consider great, then assess what parts of the films I want to show, whether I've got a decent mix of genres and styles, if I'm making a representative pick such that I can just mention offhand "these other films, too," availability of the title (is it streaming? Disc only? Fansub only?), and such. For stuff I do, there's always far more material than time and no matter what I do, I'll catch flak for omitting something major (even if I open with "I'm not showing any Miyazaki or Ghibli, since you guys already know about that and there's an entire dedicated panel to it"). This vastly beats the alternative of not having enough material to fill the hour.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 9, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Oh ok. That makes sense. The one I did way back when was a theorycrafting panel after episode 4 of Umineko had just came on, so it was me giving a short overview of When They Cry followed by about 45 minutes of people in the room talking about things that probably weren't the case (I wouldn't know as I never started Chiru for whatever reason and also I don't remember what we talked about.)

Yours sound much better. Best thing that can be said about mine is that I brought cookies to encourage people to step up to the mic.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Only just recently expanded my podcast listening to anime casts, latest AWO was good. Glad to hear they enjoy Tekkaman Blade.

Pretty much agree with everything they said about Food Wars/Shokugeki.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

We're trying to think of a couple movies to watch as movies between specials. Does anybody have suggestions for stuff we might find interesting?
---
Chihayafuru Episode 7 (17-21) (Audio Version | YouTube Version)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

mikeycp posted:

We're trying to think of a couple movies to watch as movies between specials. Does anybody have suggestions for stuff we might find interesting?
---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnhbIh4uVRw

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Hmm. I never considered live action adaptations. This opens us up to a whole new world of possibilities!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

mikeycp posted:

Hmm. I never considered live action adaptations. This opens us up to a whole new world of possibilities!

Yeah, like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nANfoAIMWdc!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mikeycp posted:

---

Mind Game is fantastic and is still on Netflix!

I will just let a scene from early in the movie speak for itself, in which our protagonist meets God:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTSHOayOyi8&t=177s

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

This just left theaters though, didn't it?

Srice posted:

Mind Game is fantastic and is still on Netflix!

I will just let a scene from early in the movie speak for itself, in which our protagonist meets God:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTSHOayOyi8&t=177s

This looks rad and I'll look into it!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

K-on movie!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Mind Game is possibly my favorite movie ever

Megazone 23

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

VostokProgram posted:

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

But will that hold up if I really didn't like the show? Or if Doter hasn't seen anything about the show?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That's why you should watch the k-on movie.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I somehow disliked K-On even more, so I don't think that'll pan out either.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Megazone 23 Part 1 and 2 would be a good choice I think. There's a lot they do right and a little bit they do wrong and both movies were made by different staff and work in different t ways so there should be a lot of interesting things to say about them.

It also has a weird history with America, with people alleging that The Matrix is a ripoff of M23 and a botched attempt at making it into Robotech: the Movie.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

mikeycp posted:

I somehow disliked K-On even more, so I don't think that'll pan out either.

I'm going to run you out of adtrw, your days are numbered

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Namtab posted:

I'm going to run you out of adtrw, your days are numbered

I'm sorry that you feel so strongly about me not liking a bad show.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

mikeycp posted:

I'm sorry that you feel so strongly about me not liking a bad show.

K-On isn't a bad show. It's one of the best anime of the last decade.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I respectfully and wholly disagree.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
If you respect neither Haruhi nor K-On you aren't qualified to host an anime podcast.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Haruhi isn't a great series

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Uh we seem to have polar opposite anime preferences, but I recommend paprika, mind game, and beautiful dreamer for movies to watch and talk about.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Haruhi isn't a great series

Actually Haruhi and K-on are both really good for different reasons, im sorry you have no taste

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

If you respect neither Haruhi nor K-On you aren't qualified to host an anime podcast.

Even if I did like them, I know for certain that doter would not. I don't want to record multiple episodes of us talking about how bad of a time we're having.

Linnaeus posted:

Uh we seem to have polar opposite anime preferences, but I recommend paprika, mind game, and beautiful dreamer for movies to watch and talk about.

We're actually going to do a probably-pretty-long Satoshi Kon Cast about all of his movies sometime in July with a guest.

Also next week is Princess Mononoke. I'll take the (good) suggestions from you guys and put them in a strawpoll in a day or two to decide the movie we'll watch after that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This doter fella seems like a bad influence

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Namtab posted:

Actually Haruhi and K-on are both really good for different reasons, im sorry you have no taste
Apology accepted.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Quit using this thread to snipe at each other.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Here is the final episode of season 2. I liked this show a whole lot.
As I mentioned at the end of the episode, I made a poll with some of the suggestions in this thread for what we should choose as our next special, after Princess Mononoke.

Here it is: http://bit.ly/AKSpecialPoll1
---
Chihayafuru Episode 8 (22-25) (Audio Version | YouTube Version)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Namtab posted:

This doter fella seems like a bad influence

anime sucks

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Quit using this thread to snipe at each other.

I'm sick of your poo poo mod. You and me are gonna meet in front of the bike racks, last day of school.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I can't help you find your tricycle Littleorv.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

can we just gas this thread that seems to exist just for OP to repeatedly shill his own podcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It's not my fault nobody else talks in here. I ran it by Bad Seafood before I made it and did my best to make the thread an open forum.

• Locked thread