Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

What is it?
It's an open world, mission-based sandbox game about a guy with a momentum-cancelling hookshot and infinite parachutes. Also something about southeast Asia and dictators and modern Western imperialism, but who gives a poo poo about that when you've got a hookshot and parachute? I sure don't.

What kind of LP is this?
This is in no way a serious game, so this will be in no way a serious LP. I'm going to spend a lot of time trying to do stuff that looks cool, and not a lot of time thinking about the paper-thin 'story' that strings the action along.

Are you going to 100% the game?
Maybe if you paid me, but otherwise gently caress no.

Is there going to be any thread participation?
Well, you can pay me to 100% the game.

Aside that.
Of course. In a game as silly as this, I have gently caress all to talk about in an informative manner, so I'm going to have guest commentators join me in... pretty much every video, if I can manage it. If you're interested, just post in the thread or hit me up on Skype (same username).

What if we just want to participate from the thread?
There will still be chances there, too! The missions are focused around three factions, so everyone will have the chance to vote on which faction we do missions for. Additionally, I am a sucker for fan art and stuff like that, and may think of some way to reward contributions of that nature.

This seems oddly familiar.
Shut up.

Episodes:
Episode 1: Tutorial Mission - featuring Lt. Dans Legs
Episode 2: Tutorial Mission 2: Tutor Harder - featuring Lt. Dans Legs
Episode 3: Meeting People - featuring Waffleman_
Episode 4: Blowjob from Bolo - featuring Brassherald
Episode 5: Wild Car Safari - featuring Brassherald
Episode 6: Banana Car - featuring Manic_Misanthrope
Episode 7: Reaper Madness - featuring Occultatio
Episode 8: Shocking Surprise - featuring xenoveritas
Episode 9: Mile High Clones - featuring myxlplykx
Episode 10: Sir Dadu - featuring myxlplykx
Episode 11: May Be Offensive to Peter Dinklage - featuring myxlplykx
Episode 12: Fleeting Suspicions - featuring sermonfire
Episode 13: Slight Delay - featuring CJacobs
Episode 14: She Drives Me Crazy - featuring Dr. Snark
Episode 15: Better Missions - featuring Dr. Snark
Episode 16: Just Cause 3 Apparently Sucks - featuring xenoveritas
Episode 17: Tuk Tuk Boom Boom - featuring live commentary
Episode 18: The Final Strongholds - featuring CJacobs
Episode 19: Voice Acting Takes Flak - featuring HerpicleOmnicron5
Episode 20: Needs More Boom - featuring Xeno426
Episode 21: Better Call Saul (Sukarno) - featuring Liquid Dan (AKA Danaru)
Episode 22: Roaches Part 1 - featuring xenoveritas
Episode 23: Roaches Part 2 - featuring xenoveritas
Episode 24: The Final Factions - featuring CJacobs
Episode 25: Not a Moment Too Soon - featuring Waffleman_

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Reserved.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 13: Slight Delay - featuring CJacobs

What do you mean I haven't updated this LP in four years? I don't remember that happening.

So hey, if I can drag anyone back into this thread, how about a vote? We're due up for faction missions, so who should get the honor - the Ular Boys, the Roaches. or DAH REEPAHS?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
We gotta hang with THE REEPAHS

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am frankly disappointed you didn't go with "Why am I picking this one back up? ....Just cause!", but I'm glad to have participated in LP Revival Surgery anyhow.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

It's so good to have an LP featuring Rico "loving Massive Explosions" Rodriguez back in business again.

On a related note, I'd be happy to throw my hat in the ring as a potential commentator-I've lost many good hours of my life to this game and annihilating everything in sight.

Do you plan on doing anything with the multiplayer mod after the main LP is (hopefully) wrapped up? That seems like it'd make for amazing stream material.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
You're ... you're still alive? Wow!

I suppose I should vote on a faction, but ... whatever.

I'm still up for co-commentating, if you're OK with rants about why JC2 is a better game than JC3. (The answer is rings. So much flying/driving/boating through rings. loving rings.)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Dr. Snark posted:

Do you plan on doing anything with the multiplayer mod after the main LP is (hopefully) wrapped up? That seems like it'd make for amazing stream material.

I'm not going to fall for making any plans, that's how LPs die (or at least go into four-year comas).

Xenoveritas posted:

I'm still up for co-commentating, if you're OK with rants about why JC2 is a better game than JC3. (The answer is rings. So much flying/driving/boating through rings. loving rings.)

Uh, sounds the same as the races in JC2, unless... oh god don't tell me they made races mandatory.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Technically, no.

Unless you want to unlock upgrades.

Which in quite a few cases, you really do.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
JC3 felt like JC2.5. That's not really a bad thing, but they made your grappling hook more amazing and added awesome wingsuit stuff at the cost of driving.

I am still tempted to go back and play more JC2 some times. I really enjoy these games.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Well, it looks like DAH REEPAHS win the vote, with 1. Expect that episode to come in less than four years.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Shinjobi posted:

JC3 felt like JC2.5. That's not really a bad thing, but they made your grappling hook more amazing and added awesome wingsuit stuff at the cost of driving.

I wouldn't say it's like JC2.5 because some of the changes are just ... weird. Specifically some of the stuff they removed that JC2 had. For example, the minimap is gone. You no longer have a health bar, but on the other hand you now always regen to full health. Individual weapon and vehicle upgrading is now gone. Instead you can unlock upgrades via challenges. Which for vehicles, means racing.

Money is gone, which means that you get "black market" vehicles and weapons using a somewhat weird pickup system where you have a limited number of drops/fast travels before you have to restock them. The pickups to do that are weirdly spread out and in some cases unlocked by completing events that randomly spawn in the world. (And by limited, I mean one. Increasing that limit involves races.)

The upgraded grappling hook and upgraded upgraded grappling hook (assuming you can find those challenges - some of the few that don't involve driving through rings!) are amazing and the wingsuit is a great addition once you understand enough about how it works that it stops being an "instant lawn dart into the ground" button, but that doesn't really make up for the weird steps back from JC2.

Like, in the last video, CirclMastr was able to keep the helicopter flying despite there being anti-air defenses. Helicopters in JC3 are basically flying bombs that die almost instantly, and you no longer have the ability to upgrade vehicle health. Plus, without the minimap, you frequently find yourself in "where the gently caress are those missiles coming from" situations, while you spin the camera around trying to figure out why your shiny new helicopter is spewing black smoke.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 14: She Drives Me Crazy - featuring Dr. Snark

I really hope you like driving missions!

Next video will be the next 3 Reaper missions, followed by whatever gets voted on next!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Voting for the Ular Boys missions right loving now.

Dear god those missions were awful. It was an honest trial to try and say interesting things about them.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Dear god watching those missions was painful.

You need to do the Ular Boys instead of those Reaper missions.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Thirding Ular Boys.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

So uh, I have good news and bad news to everyone voting Ular Boys.

The bad news is, I said the next video would be the other Reaper missions because I'd already recorded the footage. So yeah, Reapers are still next, but Ular Boys will follow that.

The good news is, the next three Reaper missions are actually decent.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 15: Better Missions - featuring Dr. Snark

Next up is five Ular Boys missions. Depending on length, they may get cut into two videos.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 16: Just Cause 3 Apparently Sucks - featuring xenoveritas

So, with the next set of stronghold missions being really close to unlocked, it's time for a vote on the next video!

Option 1: Car Safari complete with on-screen timer shenanigans, with some screwing around to build up the chaos (possibly offscreen).
Option 2: General Chaos perhaps with live commentary instead of post! Just blowing poo poo up, killing colonels, etc., until the strongholds unlock.
Option 3: Roaches missions which will be more than enough to unlock strongholds. Hell, with 5 Roaches missions, it might go past strongholds and unlock the next Agency mission too.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Roaches

Let's get them out of the way.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

General Chaos is what the bread and butter of this game really is.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I'm voting from some general chaos too. There are some hilarious moments in the story when you get far enough, but Just Cause really shines when you're just blowing stuff up.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 17: Tuk Tuk Boom Boom - featuring live commentary

So, who wants to jump on the commentating train for the strongholds?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Oh. I'd forgotten that races in Just Cause 2 are substantially better than in Just Cause 3.

So I mentioned JC3 ties races to upgrades, right? And that some of these upgrades are things like "being allowed to use the Fast Travel system more than once" or "being allowed to use the Black Market more than once?"

What I didn't mention is that you're scored on those races, from 1-5 gears. These gears are what unlocks upgrades.

So not only do you need to complete races, you need to do the races almost perfectly to get those five gears.

And you can pick which car you use for them, and the five gear score is based on using the absolute fastest vehicle with basic upgrades.

Basically, you need to be perfect when doing races in JC3, they're nowhere near as forgiving as the races in JC2.

Yeah.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

So, who wants to jump on the commentating train for the strongholds?

Am I going to have to start begging random LPers to join me in this?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 18: The Final Strongholds - featuring CJacobs

Lots of missions on the map to do. Anyone have a preference for who we help out on the road to the next Agency mission?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reapers, if possible. Always Reapers. Always Bolo.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

CJacobs posted:

Reapers, if possible. Always Reapers. Always Bolo.

Always BOHLOH SANTOESEE

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's funny hearing you lot talk about how unnatural Bolo's accent is- it's actually quite accurate with respects to Chinese Singaporeans/Malays where I live. If anything, I'm a little more giggly over the fact that this supposed hardcore rebel leader sounds like she's teaching English to a bunch of primary school kids.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 19: Voice Acting Takes Flak - featuring HerpicleOmnicron5

CommissarMega posted:

It's funny hearing you lot talk about how unnatural Bolo's accent is- it's actually quite accurate with respects to Chinese Singaporeans/Malays where I live. If anything, I'm a little more giggly over the fact that this supposed hardcore rebel leader sounds like she's teaching English to a bunch of primary school kids.

Relevant to this episode!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CommissarMega posted:

It sounds very forced and unnatural. It's less like somebody with the actual accent and like somebody sticking so closely to a script that was written phonetically.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It sounds very forced and unnatural. It's less like somebody with the actual accent and like somebody sticking so closely to a script that was written phonetically.

Oh no, I assure you, it's an actual accent that I've heard from people holding actual conversations with me. It's dying out among the younger generation, and was/is practically nonexistent among those who managed to study abroad, but for those older Malaysians and Singaporeans who learned their English here, it's spot-on. I don't think you'd be able to get most of the jokes in this routine or this clip, but I'm sure you can hear a 'classier' (for lack of a better term) version of Bolo's accent. That said, it certainly sounds careful- I get the impression the voice actress IS a native English speaker, but still trying to enunciate things as clearly as she could.

CirclMastr posted:

Relevant to this episode!

Yeesh, it hasn't been a century since the Brits left us- how quickly we are forgotten.

EDIT: By the way, the 'k's in "Walk in the park" are perfectly audible :colbert: Also, found the best version of Bolo's accent- this time from our (Malaysia's) ex-Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 19, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CommissarMega posted:

Yeesh, it hasn't been a century since the Brits left us- how quickly we are forgotten.

EDIT: By the way, the 'k's in "Walk in the park" are perfectly audible :colbert: Also, found the best version of Bolo's accent- this time from our (Malaysia's) ex-Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad.

Huh, I take back my criticism of the accent, but I won't take back how stupid Scorpio is as a name and that they should've just stuck to Rico. Rico's a cool enough name.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really enjoy this game, but every time I play it I get a strong urge to play Tropico. :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Huh, I take back my criticism of the accent, but I won't take back how stupid Scorpio is as a name and that they should've just stuck to Rico. Rico's a cool enough name.
It's a fake name so they won't know who he is. Yes it's pretty much on the level of Sloth Demon. Bolo is by far the smartest of the faction leaders but that might not mean very much, so it's pretty safe.

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 20, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean, Rico does have a big red scorpion on his clothes so I dunno if it conceals his identity that well.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 20, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He's trying to hide the name Rico from them.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 20: Needs More Boom - featuring Xeno426

My apologies for not having enough high explosives for the second phase of that mission.

There's only one story mission to go, but first we have to unlock it. With the Reaper missions done for now, shall we tackle the Ular Boys missions, or the Roaches?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Go ahead and help out the Ular Boys, serdadu.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It seems to me that the three factions are meant to resemble the big political 'isms'. The Reapers are Communists, the Roaches are Capitalists, and the Ular Boys are Nationalists, borderline Fascists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CirclMastr posted:

Are you going to 100% the game?
Maybe if you paid me, but otherwise gently caress no.

Is there going to be any thread participation?
Well, you can pay me to 100% the game.

Isn't JC2 actually impossible to 100% due to a bug where one of the destructible objects either doesn't show up or doesn't count properly?

• Locked thread