Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
It's that time of year again! The time when everyone anonymously enters their net worth into a form so we can all wonder at how exactly we all got so rich (or not) while also wasting so much time on a comedy Internet forum. As first seen on the Bogleheads forum.

Anonymous survey
http://goo.gl/forms/NXBSutTf48

Results
https://goo.gl/hCGH3f
https://goo.gl/rv2uEu (auto-generated)
Check out the various sheets in the spreadsheet to see some summary statistics :). Wish I knew who the high school diploma person earning $900k with a negative net worth is. Or the 29 year old Asian person with a doctorate earning $250k but with a net worth of $2.7M.

If anyone is handy with actual statistics / visualizations, your efforts would be appreciated in summarizing this information :).

If you want to see how much BFC has changed over the last year, here's a link to the 2015 SA: BFC net worth survey.

Questions & comments:

Shadowhand00 posted:

Is there any way to edit responses?

From the survey instructions: if you would like to edit your response and you no longer have the edit link please submit a new entry and annotate it in the "additional comments" section with the results row number and timestamp of the entry you would like updated.

pig slut lisa posted:

People are really underutilizing the optional Additional Comments field IMO

Agreed!

Cicero posted:

So did you leave out "Hispanic" from the ethnic choices on purpose?

Not intentional! Added.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

So i got a little confused. I took the equity in my home as part of my net worth and excluded the remaining on the mortgage. Later you ask f9r mortgage in debts. Is it a common thing to include your whole house in net worth and I dunno just ignore the mortgage? Doesn't that kinda invalidate the term net?

A house with a mortgage counts in net worth (value - mortgage), as an illiquid asset (value), and as a debt (mortgage).

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Finally! I haven't felt poor for over a year now.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Everything looks worse when converted to USD especially with the change in the exchange rate in the last year.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Devian666 posted:

Everything looks worse when converted to USD especially with the change in the exchange rate in the last year.
Canadian detected!

Or has the Euro gotten worse, too?

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Added a link to the auto-generated survey summary. Will add link to the full spreadsheet of responses in a few days :).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Evil Robot posted:

Added a link to the auto-generated survey summary. Will add link to the full spreadsheet of responses in a few days :).

Does it randomize the order or can I look at the 3rd or whatever entry in each category and know that a 21 year old in retail making $95,000 filled out the survey?

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
-deleted-

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 5, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
So did you leave out "Hispanic" from the ethnic choices on purpose?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I don't think it's randomized, yo.

edit: not that it matters if you're releasing the whole thing, but yeah. Also your pie charts aren't labeled with a color key.

Also sucks for the -370k guy, what happened to you, guy? I hope you just finished your doctor training or something :smith:

moana fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 5, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

As I said last year,

pig slut lisa posted:

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

So i got a little confused. I took the equity in my home as part of my net worth and excluded the remaining on the mortgage. Later you ask f9r mortgage in debts. Is it a common thing to include your whole house in net worth and I dunno just ignore the mortgage? Doesn't that kinda invalidate the term net?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I did the same as it's net worth.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Posted the results under https://goo.gl/hCGH3f. C'mon guys, take the survey! Last year we had over 250 entries; so far we only have 67.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

I don't think it's randomized, yo.

edit: not that it matters if you're releasing the whole thing, but yeah. Also your pie charts aren't labeled with a color key.

Also sucks for the -370k guy, what happened to you, guy? I hope you just finished your doctor training or something :smith:

Looks like it. -510,000 in the debts side, and the occupation says "physician x 2". A double-doctor household!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Okay, double doctors makes a lot more sense. I look forward to their net worth being above zero in the next few years :) Go Team Doctors!

survey destroyer guy sure is angry about internet strangers sharing money info on a subforum all about sharing money info. You should take a Chill Pill, survey destroyer guy.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I'm surprised more people aren't in the negatives like me. Student loans are really a bitch. It makes me hopeful though to see so many other people so far in the positives.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Shadowhand00 posted:

Yes, updated the OP!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I know I said this:

pig slut lisa posted:

but I looked again and now I take it back:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

packsmack posted:

I'm surprised more people aren't in the negatives like me. Student loans are really a bitch. It makes me hopeful though to see so many other people so far in the positives.

This is a self selected group of people who talk about Business Finance and Careers as a hobby online. I think it's safe to say it tends to be a higher earning group as a whole, and people who are careful about spending money.

For perspective, I have a modestly positive net worth now (less than $100k positive), and I'm confident that, even with my later start (30 now), I'm comfortably ahead of most people my age. I'm in the lower quartile of people taking the survey though. It's like GGGC says, "Finally! I haven't felt poor for over a year now."

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Some people here make a lot of loving money.

My net worth looks really bad when you look at mortgage, but I weirdly don't think as debt.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

Some people here make a lot of loving money.

My net worth looks really bad when you look at mortgage, but I weirdly don't think as debt.

Think of it as a forced savings account. Or a responsibility test with real world consequences.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I feel like having a two income household w/out kids is a pretty good way to radically accelerate networth. Then again there's that lonely east asian millionaire on the list

edit: unless you're two doctors just starting out.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 8, 2016

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

packsmack posted:

There's a lot of people in their 30s and 40s so a lot of student debt has been paid off, or the loans received were much smaller due to lower fees. What you need is some inflation to devalue your debts.

Don't feel bad about being in the negatives as you'll dig your way out over time.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Holy gently caress West Coast SW Engineers make a lot of dough! Probably spend give it all back in rent tho.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

VendaGoat posted:

Think of it as a forced savings account. Or a responsibility test with real world consequences.

I think of it more that i have to live someplace

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

I think of it more that i have to live someplace

I like this joke.

The double joke is just how many people DON'T see it that way.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

VendaGoat posted:

I like this joke.

Especially given the number of people that own houses.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

VendaGoat posted:

I like this joke.

But Goat, house prices can only go up! Real estate is always a secure store of value, and there could never be another bubble!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Liquid Communism posted:

But Goat, house prices can only go up! Real estate is always a secure store of value, and there could never be another bubble!

Houses are made out of bricks you see. You can't make a bubble out of bricks and mortar dummy it wouldn't float. So it can't be a bubble. Bricks and mortar. QED. Case closed.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I'm beginning to think some people may have put the wrong number of 0s. Like the guy who makes "920,000" dollars a year but has a -13k net worth.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm beginning to think some people may have put the wrong number of 0s. Like the guy who makes "920,000" dollars a year but has a -13k net worth.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

ShadowHawk posted:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

ShadowHawk posted:

SloMo may still lurk here.

Edit: I bet it's DeadMau5 lol.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BossRighteous posted:

Edit: I bet it's DeadMau5 lol.

You never know, although he looks too busy tweeting to even read the forum.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Mods rename me ”Deadmau5 stock portfolio”. Or "Barry Bonds Mortgage".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 11, 2016

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

median: 99K

net worth trends to 2x of gross income

no real surprises and we're prolly seeing a selection bias in terms of responses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

Technically, per accounting doctrine, it is an asset, liability, and hopefully becomes equity all at once!

Being a homeowner in the last three years looks to have driven about $30-50k of my net worth since I graduated. That's pretty cool!

• Locked thread