Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

A Bristol company is planning to create an official “period policy” designed to allow women to take time off without being stigmatised in the hope it will make its workplace more efficient and creative.

Bex Baxter, the director of Coexist, said the move an attempt to synchronise work with the body’s natural cycles.

“I have managed many female members of staff over the years and I have seen women at work who are bent over double because of the pain caused by their periods. Despite this, they feel they cannot go home because they do not class themselves as unwell.

“And this is unfair. At Coexist we are very understanding. If someone is in pain – no matter what kind – they are encouraged to go home. But, for us, we wanted a policy in place which recognises and allows women to take time for their body’s natural cycle without putting this under the label of illness.”

Coexist, where 24 of the 31 staff are women, is no ordinary company. It manages Hamilton House in the city’s bohemian Stokes Croft quarter, running the space for artists, activists and community organisations. There is a restaurant called The Canteen, and Banksy’s Mild Mild West mural showing a teddy bear throwing a petrol bomb at riot police greets visitors.

Baxter said: “There is a misconception that taking time off makes a business unproductive – actually it is about synchronising work with the natural cycles of the body.

“For women, one of these is their menstrual cycles. Naturally, when women are having their periods they are in a winter state, when they need to regroup, keep warm and nourish their bodies.

The spring section of the cycle immediately after a period is a time when women are actually three times as productive as usual.

“My team here have always been very generous – I’ve been able to take time off when I’ve needed it, but always put it back in again. But until now there haven’t been any formal guidelines.

“For too long there’s been a taboo surrounding periods – I have women staff telling me they’re ashamed to admit they’re in pain. I want us to break down that shame and replace the negativity with positivity. Both men and women have been open to the ideas, especially from the younger generation.

“I was talking to someone the other day and they said if it were men who had periods then this policy would have been brought in sooner.

“It’s not just about taking time off if you feel unwell but about empowering people to be their optimum selves. If you work with your natural rhythms, your creativity and intelligence is more fulfilled. And that’s got to be good for business.”

Baxter and her team plan to formulate the policy as part of a seminar at Hamilton House on 15 March called Pioneering Period Policy: Valuing Natural Cycles in the Workplace.

The seminar’s leader, Alexandra Pope, believes “cycle awareness” helps both men and women become more productive at work.

Pope, who describes herself as a women’s leadership coach and educator in the “field of menstruality”, said: “In the past any proposal to allow women to, for example, have time off at menstruation has been derided by men and women alike. In this context menstruation is seen as a liability or a problem. Or as women getting special treatment.

“The purpose of this policy initiative is to create a positive approach to menstruation and the menstrual cycle that empowers women and men and supports the effectiveness and wellbeing of the organisation. To restore the menstrual cycle as the asset it is.”

She says her seminar will “present a radically new model of the menstrual cycle as an asset for your entire organisation”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Back in the ol days the women would just pop a Midol and keep on truckin but I guess Millenials are incapable of dealing with adversity :rolleyes:

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

lets rub out cocks togetrher

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lonesomedwarf posted:

lets rub out cocks togetrher

Cant Im menstruating

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't read the OP but why does shooting blood out of an orifice below the belt warrant ordering out instead of cooking?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN1IwlbussE&t=26s

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

In light of this companies location I would like to say one think. Periods are a bloody mess!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
shut up, world

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
what a bunch of bleeding cunts

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
seems like a good idea actually op

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

female privilege makes me sick

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
a paid week off once a month? Goddamn.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
"Jim, you have to drop your project and take over Sheryl's for the next two days. . . I forgot what time of the month it is. . . I don't know. . . three four days max."

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
cool. some societies granted women total leave during their periods, also made them sleep outside and wash in special bath houses. hopefully one day we'll achieve that level of recognition of the female cycle.

nomadologique fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 4, 2016

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Stacy in HR is always a complete bitch when she is on her period. Good move if you ask me.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

what happens when all the women synch and are gone at the same time? 24 of 31 employees.

but not everybody gets crippling cramps.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

nomadologique posted:

what happens when all the women synch and are gone at the same time? 24 of 31 employees.

but not everybody gets crippling cramps.

a lot of work will get done if you ask me!!!

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm glad that women working there do not have to come into work just to spend all day hiding in the bathroom doubled over in pain

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
whoa are they the ones who make those bumperstickers, I love those things

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the menses must flow.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I remember being annoyed in high school that girls got to sit out of p.e. classes when they were on their periods, especially swim p.e.- as I swam laps I felt almost envious of the ability to sit and chit-chat with your friends instead of not doing that. But I was slightly more retarded than I am now at the time and so I did not realize what the effects of getting in a pool on your period would have on the water around you. When I did realize this, I felt like a real dummy. Well that's my story, thanks for reading.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I remember being annoyed in high school that girls got to sit out of p.e. classes when they were on their periods, especially swim p.e., but I was slightly more retarded than I am now at the time and so I did not realize what the effects of getting in a pool on your period would have on the water around you. When I did realize this, I felt like a real dummy. Well that's my story, thanks for reading.

why what happens

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster
And the slippery slope continues in a race to the bottom

Man those metaphors combine real well, who'd thunk, never tried that one before

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

lonesomedwarf posted:

why what happens

The water gets all period-y dude, nobody wants to swim in that

No Mans Land
Feb 26, 2016

by Cowcaster

lonesomedwarf posted:

why what happens

What do you think about tomato soup?

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The water gets all period-y dude, nobody wants to swim in that

oh, oh yeah... g... gross... no thanks ha ha, how gross...

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

No Mans Land posted:

What do you think about tomato soup?

i uh... i do not like it it... it is gross

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

brb

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Genius plan by the custodian to eliminate bloody tampons in the waste basket.

eugenics_slut
Feb 27, 2016

by zen death robot
"period leave" as an ironic joke on attempted murder

ya and we r the misogynists/ evil jews

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
A week a month is fair, but we should pay them commensurately, say 75-77%.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
What about women that don't have periods? Smmdh

Aug 4, 2010

hey guys ive got a sore head and im feeling a bit bloated, gonna take a day week off work

eugenics_slut
Feb 27, 2016

by zen death robot
polyamory breaks dad gay so wat

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Smash it Smash hit posted:

What about women that don't have periods? Smmdh

the pill really does rule id rather have no drippy than a few days off for it

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Ok so what do men get?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

www posted:

hey guys ive got a sore head and im feeling a bit bloated, gonna take a day week off work

man the gently caress up

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Ok so what do men get?

yall get to reach things off top shelves and man the gently caress up

eugenics_slut
Feb 27, 2016

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

Ok so what do men get?

you always have the option of chemical castration with steroids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

also yall get weiners and theyre fun to play with i dont know how any of yall even make it to work, funerals, etc on time and resist playing with them 24/7

• Locked thread