Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Is <div class="h1">Heading here</div> seen by search engines the same as <h1>Heading here</h1>, or can I use it to maintain h1-looking css while making search engines ignore it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

This is where I'd refer you to your programmer :)

...but I'd also ask what it is you're trying to accomplish, to help me better understand the question.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Efexeye posted:

This is where I'd refer you to your programmer :)

...but I'd also ask what it is you're trying to accomplish, to help me better understand the question.

I'm in a jack of all trades position (coming from an IT background) doing various corrections to wordpress installations originally created by outsourced offshore "web developers", one of their habits was to use H1 and H2 tags in their custom themes rather than individual pages, thus basically making entire websites essentially have duplicate content. I'd like to go through and simply remove the tags from the themes but doing so breaks some visual styling. I'd like to change instances of <h1>thing</h1> to <div class="h1">thing</div> so that the visual style stays the same but those parts are not treated as duplicate content by search engines.

Eventually someone will go through all of the pages affected by these themes and put in proper h1/2/etc tags based on the actual page content, but that's someone else's job and there's a lot of pages.

• Locked thread