Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Guess which one is getting shut down because nobody watches it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i wish it was your posting, op :iamafag:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

jazeera because MOOSLIMS and americans cant process anything other than celeb 'news'

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
It's good reporting. They should have changed their loving name or just taken over current tv like people who weren't total idiots if they wanted people to watch.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
europe is hosed lol

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
well cure for cancer doesn't exist BOOM who is producing the fake news now??

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
OP my regdate is earlier than yours therefore

this thread sucks

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

It's good reporting. They should have changed their loving name or just taken over current tv like people who weren't total idiots if they wanted people to watch.

Yeah dude there's totally an untapped market of literally dozens of people who want to hear actual news and it's just the name that's holding them back

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Back when I was a stupid uninformed child I used to think that Al Jazeera was working hand in hand with Al Quida. Not just because of the name but also because in the years following 9/11 they would always be the first to release the latest rant from Bin Laden. I just assumed it was like Bin Laden's PR company.

It wasn't until high school where some class did a lesson on bias in the news that I realized Al Jazeera is a highly respected news organization who Bin Laden sent videos too much like serial killers used to write in to news papers.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
wow they finally cured cancer, took em long enough. I'm glad that this breaking news signifies the end of an era of suffering and will deliver on the promises of its headline

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Zorodius posted:

wow they finally cured cancer, took em long enough. I'm glad that this breaking news signifies the end of an era of suffering and will deliver on the promises of its headline

loving moron

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
cancer cured, so what

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i like that map in bf2 where you get to destroy al-jazeera HQ or whatever

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

Volume posted:

Back when I was a stupid uninformed child I used to think that Al Jazeera was working hand in hand with Al Quida. Not just because of the name but also because in the years following 9/11 they would always be the first to release the latest rant from Bin Laden. I just assumed it was like Bin Laden's PR company.

It wasn't until high school where some class did a lesson on bias in the news that I realized Al Jazeera is a highly respected news organization who Bin Laden sent videos too much like serial killers used to write in to news papers.

Al jazeera isnt working with al quaida. It is owned by the qatari crown prince though, so lol at you thinking they are unbiased.
They are about as much devoted to promoting democratic values as the qatari society itself.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

well fox news is all about america and its bias is towards FREEDOM :clint:

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Blazing Zero posted:

well fox news is all about america and its bias is towards FREEDOM :clint:

No. It's not biased towards freedom. It's fair and balanced, so they also mention people who hate freedom like whole foods shoppers, Prius drivers, and owebungle.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im gay

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Some rear end in a top hat out in the hall is talking about whether or not they should use Adobe Connect or Polycom for their meeting so I shouted "Hey rear end in a top hat! What about a cure for cancer?"

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

H.H posted:

Al jazeera isnt working with al quaida. It is owned by the qatari crown prince though, so lol at you thinking they are unbiased.
They are about as much devoted to promoting democratic values as the qatari society itself.

Yeah but at least they're pretty neutral, they just chill and sell oil to people and play nice with everyone except their own citizens

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I'm the other AJA viewer. Honored to be part of this exclusive club.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
the cure for cancer is really easy you just loving shoot yourself and poof no more cancer

not sure why that would be a news story of any note so pretty ok with that poo poo excuse for journalism getting shut down

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
just get your news from the christian science monitor like everybody else

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm really glad Americans didn't fall for this Arab nationalism "news" scam. Good riddance.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Al-Jazeera is the mouthpiece of the government of Qatar, just like Russia Today is the mouthpiece of the government of Russia. Why the gently caress would you watch any of that poo poo?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Possible cures for cancer are the puffiest of puff pieces. Wake me up when you can describe results as anything besides "promising".

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Seems like Al is a pretty popular name in the Middle East, wonder what their view is on Al-Bundy

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If half the world melted off the face of the earth, US unaffected, and Hillary let of a small squeaking fart at some press conference, Fox would wall to wall Hillary for the full 24 hours.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

White Phosphorus posted:

Al-Jazeera is the mouthpiece of the government of Qatar, just like Russia Today is the mouthpiece of the government of Russia. Why the gently caress would you watch any of that poo poo?

terminal leftism

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

just get your news from the christian science monitor like everybody else

CSM and AJA both seem p good

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I get all my news from ynet and jpost.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

White Phosphorus posted:

Because I'm smart enough to be unaffected by bias? Sorry you can't watch Al-Jazeera without immediately converting to Islam

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah but at least they're pretty neutral, they just chill and sell oil to people and play nice with everyone except their own citizens

bullshit, quatar does a lot of meddling in other countries to push strict islam and sharia law. more even than the saudis.

al jazeera america is cool and all but al jazeera at home is way different.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
There's a potential cancer cure every few months. New OJ news only comes out once a decade. Get your priorities straight.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

White Phosphorus posted:

post-modern orientalism

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

Parallax Scroll posted:

CSM and AJA both seem p good

CSM has really bad ads on mobile but now that I can Adblock them I don't mind

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
My guess is the organization bankrolled by the absolute monarchists to fluff up their image. Am I right?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

gleebster posted:

My guess is the organization bankrolled by the absolute monarchists to fluff up their image. Am I right?

all western style media is designed to fluff up an image, do you not understand the struggle?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The downside to working for a network that's really just a Qatari soft-power operation that never turns a profit is that the royals can pull the plug whenever they don't think it's worth it.

Where with Fox News, you're working for hacks, but hacks in the business of keeping the whole machine running.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

gleebster posted:

They don't seem very eager to let everyone know that they own Al-Jazeera so I don't really see how it fluffs up their image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AugmentedVision posted:

They don't seem very eager to let everyone know that they own Al-Jazeera so I don't really see how it fluffs up their image
The idea was to advance Qatari foreign policy interests by subtly pushing it through Al-Jazeera America's coverage, building an audience in the United States, etc. But that wouldn't really work if the network was too closely associated with the Qatari royals.

Another problem was that Qatari foreign policy is contradictory in lots of different ways.

So yeah it was a mess.

• Locked thread