Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Doctor Schnabel posted:

but im crippled by ocd, compulsive onanism, and general mental turpitude

But do you come with a pitchfork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'm not sure if I like how injuries work right now. The feature itself is okay, but it does interrupt my play a lot. Like, I'm forced to sit around for a couple of days until my guys are back in shape which annoys me since the progress in the game is already real slow by default. You can use churches to heal but in my current game they are hella rare and I saw exactly one out of 10+ towns/castles/villages. Really hope that they either up the church spawn or include some other way to speed up recovery

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I just hire more guys as replacements. I wish you could leave guys at towns for rest and pay them a reduced wage, but honestly their daily pay isn't that much of a limiting factor, it's the food they consume.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

disappointed that there's still no way for me to examine the local slobs before deciding which ones i'll hire. it just encourages me to savescum in the most boring way
I dunno, I think it's amusing how you can hire some supposed badass named Baldur the Butcher who then turn out to be a greedy, craven shitheel. I often have a tendency to savescum in games, but this is something I like to just roll with.
Personally I think it could be a cool idea if the traits were divided into obvious and non-obvious ones, and you could only see the former ones on potential hires beforehand. Like, you should be able to tell right away if someone's fat, exceptionally strong or club-foooted, but some personality quirks could only be revealed afterwards.

I would really love an option to hire people without their gear though. If I have a stash full of spare weapons and armor, I don't want to pay 2000 extra for superfluous stuff just to hire some noble.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Any good beginner tips? I finally picked this up. You guys recommend using the beta or the latest stable (or whatever you wanna call it).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
They killed Bags and Belts :(

I got a puppy! :neckbeard:

He died next battle :(

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Now there's a beta for an early access game? I'll just wait until it's released I guess.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Any good beginner tips? I finally picked this up. You guys recommend using the beta or the latest stable (or whatever you wanna call it).
I haven't had any trouble with the beta update at all, and it makes some very good changes. Go for it.

As for beginner tips, here's a few pointers:

- Goblins will murder you. Orcs probably too. Stick to beating bandits until you have the hang of things. Or go hogwild and learn the hard way, that's fine too. :v:

- If you really have to fight goblins and it's not all wolf riders, do it by night so their archers and thrown weapons won't destroy you.

- When shopping, prioritize armor before weapons. A leather armor instead of a tunic makes a much bigger difference than a falchion instead a shortsword.

- A weapon's stat card doesn't tell everything; you'll want to equip a weapon and hover over the attack skills it gives you on the left for details.

- Spears are good newbie weapons because their attack has an innate +20% to hit bonus.

Fat Samurai posted:

They killed Bags and Belts :(
On the other hand, I noticed that items in your belt slots only take up half of their normal fatigue now by default.
Or was that always the case? I'm not sure now.

snuff posted:

Now there's a beta for an early access game? I'll just wait until it's released I guess.
No, just the newest update is in the beta branch you can opt into, so they can iron out any potential issues in it before putting it live.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
They mentioned reworking weapons, other than the Scramasax being a lower end cleaver now and the reach weapon changes I haven't noticed anything, are there any other significant changes?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Found this cleaning my first Bandit camp.

Some uppity noble is going to come looking for it and flatten me, righ?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Found this cleaning my first Bandit camp.

Some uppity noble is going to come looking for it and flatten me, righ?

If they do I'm glad mine's got a trek ahead of him.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Nordick posted:

On the other hand, I noticed that items in your belt slots only take up half of their normal fatigue now by default.
Or was that always the case? I'm not sure now.

They didn't take up fatigue or hit your initiative, they do both now.

They completely nerfed what I used to do though, which was a utility/defensive things where I went Quick Hands->Bags and Belts->Pathfinder->Brawny->Weaponmaster->Inspiring Presence/Rally the Troops then Shield Expert->Deflect->Battle Forged->Holdout. That was my general build for shield+weapon dudes, ranged guys and my billhook dudes had slightly different builds given that they wouldn't have shields.

Now it incentives you to specialize a lot more. I just think it is funny that they practically nerfed or changed over half(and merged Shield Expert with Deflect) of what I used for a standard build. Looking at things now though, I guess Student went from Trap Perk to "pick this up at level 1". Not sure if Quick Hands is still worth it with all of the fatigue stuff being hit so hard.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I mostly like spears because I imagine the bandits getting frustrated

"Okay, gonna go stand next to yo-"

"No."

"Alright that was funny, now let's stop playing, I'm going to move her-"

"No."

"Listen here you little poo poo"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I mostly like spears because I imagine the bandits getting frustrated

"Okay, gonna go stand next to yo-"

"No."

"Alright that was funny, now let's stop playing, I'm going to move her-"

"No."

"Listen here you little poo poo"

He finally gets into his spot and some fucker in the back row reaches across really slowly with a pitchfork and pushes him out again.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Grinning Goblin posted:

They didn't take up fatigue or hit your initiative, they do both now.
I mean without the Bags and Belts perk. They removed the "extra items cost no fatigue" part of the perk, but seems like they've compensated for that by making items in the extra slots only cost half fatigue even without the perk. I say "seems like" because I can't remember for sure if that wasn't the case before.

Anyways, Bags and Belts is pretty marginal now. Two slots is enough I find, even at half fatigue cost it's not worth it to lug much poo poo around "just in case".
Quick hands is still useful, I have it on my OG crossbow dude so if someone gets in his face he can whip out his warbrand and gently caress them up.

I also had a lucky streak with unique items, I got three dudes in unique armors and one dude with a sweet unique shield now. Haven't found any unique weapons though, saw a few in stores earlier but obviously they were ridiculously expensive.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
How much do these unique armors sell for, and how much does it cost to repair them? The rate of attrition in this game is so brutal, I might just be tempted to sell them if I find one since a squad of men with chainmail is probably better than one guy with great armor.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

toasterwarrior posted:

How much do these unique armors sell for, and how much does it cost to repair them? The rate of attrition in this game is so brutal, I might just be tempted to sell them if I find one since a squad of men with chainmail is probably better than one guy with great armor.
I just checked and apparently they only sell for about a quarter of the worth stated on their stat card, just like normal equipment. This is not nearly enough to make selling them worth it.

For example, for my best unique armor, I would get a bit under 1800 gold, which would only buy two plain mail shirts. And the unique suit has more armor value than those two mail shirts combined. The second heaviest of my uniques would sell for 1000, which wouldn't even buy a single mail hauberk, which is strictly inferior to said unique.

As far as I know repairing them doesn't cost any more tools either. The tooltip says it's one unit of tools to fix 15 durability points, and nowhere is it stated that would be different for unique items.

So in summary, don't sell your uniques.

EDIT: This is the abovementioned best one:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 30, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nordick posted:

I mean without the Bags and Belts perk. They removed the "extra items cost no fatigue" part of the perk, but seems like they've compensated for that by making items in the extra slots only cost half fatigue even without the perk. I say "seems like" because I can't remember for sure if that wasn't the case before.
It was, yes. Half fatigue in the bag, full fatigue in the hand. Bags and Belts just means you have 2 extra slots now, which as you said is kinda marginal. It's worth putting a pike-class on your 2-hand and archer guys because gently caress trying to maneuver around for a shot after the clash starts. It's also worth giving your front liners a spare weapon, giving them something useful against armor (like a flail or a mace) and something that's got a nice utility or high accuracy attack (like a spear or a sword). The nerf was probably required, just because before there was no reason to not give your back line a ranged weapon, a pike, and a 2h and your front line a spear, a flail, an axe, a sword, and a second shield or a net. Level 3 guys were basically already at 85% of their pinnacle power just because you could crush any problem with the right gear, and because you were using the right stuff it ended up actually decreasing your general overhead. Yes, you're likely to consume more tools in the short run since you'll be appropriating bullshit instead of leaving it on the ground or selling it, but in the long run you will need fewer tools because you're not wailing on armor with a spear for 10 turns or failing to off some bastard by 6 health points and needing a big batch of bandages because he tagged you one last time. I'll miss those days because they were very good days, but the nerf makes sense.

Quick Hands is deffo still a buy-this-first skill though, tactical flexibility is still king in this game and Quick Hands is your fastest and easiest way to get it. A lineman that can switch to a hatchet when the bandit with a shield gets past spear wall has a much, much higher chance of surviving than the one who can't, minor fatigue penalties be damned.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, I agree with all of that.
Come to think of it, they probably should've changed Bags & Belts the other way around: Kept the zero fatigue but ditched the extra slots. That way it would be a nice bonus on top of quick hands, without making your dudes omnipotent walking swiss army knives.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Is there any reason to use axes over flails? Why go through the shield when you can just ignore it? And when you can get a lot of quick kills on enemies without helmets?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Because axes can get rid of the shields so that other men in the company can get good hits in, rather than making everyone have to use flails (which are not as good in a bunch of other ways) to get past them.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Are all the unique items found as totally random loot? I've yet to see any in my current game.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

ubercrunchy posted:

Are all the unique items found as totally random loot? I've yet to see any in my current game.

They can occasionally show up in shops too (never seen them in marketplaces but weaponsmiths and armourers have them).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

Because axes can get rid of the shields so that other men in the company can get good hits in, rather than making everyone have to use flails (which are not as good in a bunch of other ways) to get past them.

yeah basically a flail has awful to-hit rates and given a choice i'll typically go with an axe instead so i can remove the shield. as people rank up and ostensibly get some extra melee skill it becomes less of an issue, but even that isn't a guarantee in this game; someone you intended to put on the line can roll loving 1 for melee skill 6 times in a row and require you to go fire him in some backwater.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Axes also just plain hit harder than flails. The more consistent damage and increased effectiveness vs armor compared to a flail is no joke.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
flails are good :argh:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

they are

i just don't really prioritize them until i have a mans that can use them well - which is exactly the opposite of spears and axes, which i get presuming the mans using them is a complete idiot

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I was thinking about this game recently and a question occurred to me:

In some other games that can be of the hard variety, it can be pretty easy to modify the game to taste. In Xcom 2, if I want more soldiers or want them to have new or better abilities or I want to increase/decrease enemy spawns or types, I can get a mod for that or edit a file more or less in a heartbeat. In Wasteland 2, I could just add ability points or items to characters in the save file if I felt like it.

What I'm getting at is, if I get tired of the "intended" experience, how easy would this game be to tweak or tailor to what I consider a fun experience?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
pretty hard. everything is neatly arranged in one big zip, but it's all compiled into .cnut files so that you can't get at it. why did they do this? well they're germans so they hate unsanctioned fun

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
for some added insight into the minds of these devs, if you rearrange the letters "cnut", you get "ntcu", which doesn't make a lick of sense, much like their choice to keep me from modding the game

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
To be fair they only just got the GUI working as intended.

Whilst game is good and fun, it's a bit of a distance from being finalised enough to let modders at... though yeah gimme dem xmls with 500 different shields in.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Doctor Schnabel posted:

for some added insight into the minds of these devs, if you rearrange the letters "cnut", you get "ntcu", which doesn't make a lick of sense, much like their choice to keep me from modding the game

I honestly thought that letter rearrange would go a completely different direction

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

dogstile posted:

I honestly thought that letter rearrange would go a completely different direction
i wouldnt say "tunc" on a family website, friend.

in other news, perk overhaul has left the beta branch.

quote:

Huzzah, the new perk & injury update of Battle Brothers just left the beta branch and is now ready to be played by everyone. A big thanks to all of you who tirelessly reported any bugs these past weeks!

What’s new?
This update started out with two major goals: reworking the perk system and introducing more complex injury mechanics. Both are included in this update, and while were were at it, we’ve also included lots of other changes and additions. Here’s the shortlist of features.
2 new contracts
25 new illustrated events
18 new and detailed mercenary banners to pick from for your company
3 new character traits
2 new character backgrounds
An ironman mode
A reworked perk system, less constricted and with more perks to choose from
New injury mechanics with different types of injuries and usable temple buildings
A talent system whereby more talented characters regardless of their background can reliably reach high skill
More powerful but also more rare named weapons, armor, helmets and shields of every type hidden across the world
More tools to use in combat, like bandages and poison
Changed shield mechanics in combat
Changes to weapon progression and balance
New sounds for humans; every character uses one of six different voices now to shout and scream. More sounds for all voices incoming.
Lots of smaller improvements and bugfixes

Note that this update is not compatible with older savegames. You will have to start a new campaign!

What's next?
Stay tuned for next week’s roadmap of everything big that’s still to come while Battle Brothers is in Early Access.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
With the patch out, what's everyone's preferred weaponry? Does the old standby of spear & axe for linesmen still stand up to the new update?

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

toasterwarrior posted:

With the patch out, what's everyone's preferred weaponry? Does the old standby of spear & axe for linesmen still stand up to the new update?

I only use spears for guys with poo poo melee while I train them up. Front liners with really high fatigue get a mace, and the rest are mixed.

The usefulness of the mace's stun can't really be overstated, as long as your fighter can support the high fatigue penalty and cost.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I never use maces much, and even when I do I haven't really used the stun strike. And I get by just fine.
I'm not saying I don't believe it useful, just that it says a lot of the versatility of this game's combat system that people have such different approaches and playstyles and it's all fine and viable.

Personally I've started using two-handed weapons more and more. In my current twelve man lineup I only have three shieldbearers, while the rest all have two-handers, polearms and crossbows, plus one shieldless one-hander guy as an experiment. (he's doing rather well actually.)

With the right perks and stats two-handers are loving murderous, though they do need some babysitting to get them off the ground, as they are pretty vulnerable until you get them some good armor. But if you get a guy with good melee defense and plenty of fatigue to carry heavy armor, hoo boy. Greatswords are my favourite, since they have two very convenient multi-target attacks and can handle shields decently well too. My OG greatswordman can pretty much stand toe-to-toe with an orc warrior and win.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Heads-up: treat your company to some long axes. They hit harder than bills and pikes, and can also split shields. From behind your shieldwall. That poo poo is insanely good.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Heads-up: treat your company to some long axes. They hit harder than bills and pikes, and can also split shields. From behind your shieldwall. That poo poo is insanely good.

There are axes that hit two tiles away? :getin:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yup, longaxes are the tits. They don't have the "hits both head and body" feature of greataxes, but they hit plenty hard anyway. Also I barely ever use the repel or hook features of pikes and billhooks, so losing out on those is a non-issue, and shield-breaking on a polearm is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've used Hook precisely once ever, and it was a really satisfying use of it - pulled a named bandit leader away from one of my men who was about to get sliced in half by him, pulling off a higher elevation level and injuring him with the fall. But that single use aside... yeah, I never get much use of it. I try to use Repel more but it fails 90% of the time.

• Locked thread