Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Today we'll compare the cultural output of the 2 countries

CSA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUjLE_N1Cuc

USA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GnkCu8Igg0

Now we will compare flags, the very symbol of a nation

Flag of the South, totally original, beautiful etc

US flag, looks bad, highly derivative of foreign flags such as these-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXGKys62TXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

my direct great great (whatever) grandfather died for the confederates during the last month of the war after fighting it from the start

lol

but seriously, what was my families skin in this game? were we just duped? pretty sure we were just poor British folk who fled to the mountains to get as far away from any form of government as possible, why would we fight for one? grandpa and government don't get along

and no, we didn't have slaves. maybe we just REALLY hated black people and yankees

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Mandator posted:

my direct great great (whatever) grandfather died for the confederates during the last month of the war after fighting it from the start

lol

but seriously, what was my families skin in this game? were we just duped? pretty sure we were just poor British folk who fled to the mountains to get as far away from any form of government as possible, why would we fight for one? grandpa and government don't get along

and no, we didn't have slaves. maybe we just REALLY hated black people and yankees

god knows i hate them

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mandator posted:

Soldiers got paid, and if you gently caress off to the mountains but find that actually you're just... living up a mountain... in a rapidly industrialising country where there might not be need for your labour after the war regardless of who wins, I guess poor people would be tempted to sign up and at least keep themselves and maybe their families fed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

jBrereton posted:

Soldiers got paid, and if you gently caress off to the mountains but find that actually you're just... living up a mountain... in a rapidly industrialising country where there might not be need for your labour after the war regardless of who wins, I guess poor people would be tempted to sign up and at least keep themselves and maybe their families fed.

the vast majority of appalachian settlers were subsistence farmers at the time of the civil war. they were basically a separate country within a country, and were mostly unionists

in fact sneaking off to the mountains was one of the primary methods for confederate desertion

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Bitter Mushroom posted:

that's not the confederate national flag, dingus. there were like a half-dozen because you fuckups couldn't figure your poo poo out, and all of them used the practice of putting a field in the canton. even that variant of the national flag that incorporates the square version of that battle flag you have pictured does this. please don't insult the only other cool thing about the south, i.e. the good heraldry that went into the battle flag, by making clumsy and ill-thought out comparisons

e: and for the record the defining feature of the battle flag is called a saltire and is used commonly in european nations as well

in particular the cross of burgundy is fly as hell

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 6, 2016

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Today we'll compare the cultural output of the 2 countries

CSA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUjLE_N1Cuc

USA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GnkCu8Igg0

Now we will compare flags, the very symbol of a nation

:siren: flagnerd honeypot :siren:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

MechaFrogzilla posted:

:getin:

also my pronoun is vexillologist

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Slaves are no good at fighting against people who want to free them ? What a surprise.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
The North can make a steam engine, locomotive or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or a pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical and determined people on earth-right at your doors. You are bound to fail. Only in spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
theory: the south turned out for trump in the primaries as part of an effort to sabotage and destroy the united states, as his presidency would clearly lead to the dissolution or destruction of it

seeing as they can't "rise again" they have opted, instead, to tear the rest down

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

theory: the south turned out for trump in the primaries as part of an effort to sabotage and destroy the united states, as his presidency would clearly lead to the dissolution or destruction of it

seeing as they can't "rise again" they have opted, instead, to tear the rest down

Man the whole country is turning out for Trump. America IS the South.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Man the whole country is turning out for Trump. America IS the South.

Kansas and Maine just went to Cruz, tho

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

comes along bort posted:

the vast majority of appalachian settlers were subsistence farmers at the time of the civil war. they were basically a separate country within a country, and were mostly unionists

in fact sneaking off to the mountains was one of the primary methods for confederate desertion

Yeah Appalachia didn't really go for the whole Confederacy thing.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

that's not the confederate national flag, dingus. there were like a half-dozen because you fuckups couldn't figure your poo poo out, and all of them used the practice of putting a field in the canton. even that variant of the national flag that incorporates the square version of that battle flag you have pictured does this. please don't insult the only other cool thing about the south, i.e. the good heraldry that went into the battle flag, by making clumsy and ill-thought out comparisons

e: and for the record the defining feature of the battle flag is called a saltire and is used commonly in european nations as well

in particular the cross of burgundy is fly as hell

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Hookworms
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/bodyhorrors/2011/04/25/blood-money-hookworm-economics-in-the-postbellum-south/

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

gleebster posted:

OK, I will continue my lifelong policy of not going to Alabama. Hell, I'll even through in Mississippi and the Carolinas.

no one likes alabama friend

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

Why are we still talking about this big silly war like it happened a decade ago is it because absolutely nothing interesting has happened in the south since or what

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

MONKEY TRASH! posted:

Why are we still talking about this big silly war like it happened a decade ago is it because absolutely nothing interesting has happened in the south since or what

the past is never dead. it's not even past

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
america would be a much better place if they'd only picked their own cotton

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i live in the south so i never learned anything about history or anything else for that matter :shrug:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i know a lot about guns and grease and grits tho

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah Appalachia didn't really go for the whole Confederacy thing.

Wow, Sherman put a city to the torch that opposed secession. He should posthumously be put on trial for war crimes.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

They've been doing it since the day after the civil war ended.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i wanna learn about the civil war but i'm a stupid southerner so i can't read are there any good movies or netflix shows that will learn me about the northern aggressors?

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

MONKEY TRASH! posted:

The Civil War defined America. If you like knowing why and how the US grew into what it is you have to study it.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i wanna learn about the civil war but i'm a stupid southerner so i can't read are there any good movies or netflix shows that will learn me about the northern aggressors?
Ken Burns Civil War is on netflix. It's great.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 6, 2016

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

ah yes, mr burns

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

MONKEY TRASH! posted:

millenials.txt

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Nathan Beford Forest Forest Gump

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Commie NedFlanders posted:

May 6th:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you ask me we haven't gone far enough. Round up every southerner and put a bullet between their eyes.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Volume posted:

If you ask me we haven't gone far enough. Round up every southerner and put a bullet between their eyes.

I only support this for people who mix up the battle flag and the national flag

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

comes along bort posted:

the past is never dead. it's not even past

Don't you have a birthday party to be at?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

Wow, Sherman put a city to the torch that opposed secession. He should posthumously be put on trial for war crimes.

More like we should honor him for destroying terrorist hold outs.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We should take a page from Hitler and just gas every southerner

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I only support this for people who mix up the battle flag and the national flag

Confederate battle flags are popular in my Midwestern area. They go an extra step to bastardize it with Gadsden snakes and eagles.

As a flag nerd, bastardizing flags with lovely decals offends me on a personal level. :heritage:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So this kid has a tattoo celebrating a terrorists organization that murdered over 100k American troops and he's surprised that he was rejected from the Marines

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2016/01/26/confederate-flag-tattoo-stops-man-joining-marines/79356692/

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002
James Longstreet - more like James Dong - Sweet

are we not doing that anymore?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Volume posted:

So this kid has a tattoo celebrating a terrorists organization that murdered over 100k American troops and he's surprised that he was rejected from the Marines

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2016/01/26/confederate-flag-tattoo-stops-man-joining-marines/79356692/

What do you mean my Swastika tattoo prevents me from joining the German military!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dreddout posted:

What do you mean my Swastika tattoo prevents me from joining the German military!

:vince:

• Locked thread