Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

PantsOptional posted:

:stare: Well, that would probably have made a pretty big difference in the match - we would have shoveled all available FUNC to CaptainAssholay since his Surprise Me drop turned out to be Five Oh. Thanks for the heads up, will use this in future.

No worries, there are a ton of things in this game that aren't super obvious.

For instance: Hit a tree a bunch and a branch will spawn from it. Hit a boulder or rock face a bunch and a rock will spawn from it.

Also when you spawn immediately craft a satchel (branch + branch = bandage + branch = satchel).

Once you get the FUNC don't forget a Satchel + Rock = Body armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Patch dropped, bold is mine

King of the Kappa Patch posted:

Major Changes
-Added European regional servers
-Health Station now requires players to face the front of the station while healing (Note: We are investigating additional changes)

Minor Changes
-Added LIRIK Early Release Island Showdown Tournament Winner banner to central arena
-Added an exclusive t-shirt for Early Release Island Showdown Tournament participants to be awarded soon!
-Fixed several spots in the map where players could get stuck
-ESC key at Hunted screen now takes player to spectate mode
-Fix for player being able to partially cancel bandages and med kits and still receive the heal while moving
-Updated artwork for under-mountain tunnel
-Improved animations while holding various weapons and interacting with objects
-Hunted/Victory screens now display player’s match performance ranking
-Hunted/Victory screens now display loot rarity via colored icon border (work in progress)
-Fix for t-shirts clipping through character when wearing athletic shorts
-Fix for several text typos (thanks eagle-eyed community!)
-Fix for bug where "Grey" The Culling Logo Graphic T-Shirt was mislabeled as "White," which also caused the Grey version to always show as newly unlocked
-Fix for bug where sounds could get stuck with Punji Stick deployment
-Fix for bug where sounds could get stuck with Recycler and Open Crate sequences
-Improved accuracy for Recurve Bow and Compound Bow
-Fixed bug with animation where player disarms a trap they are caught in
-Reduced throw damage for all non-weapon items
-Rebalanced match rewards distribution
-Crafted Smoke Bombs and Crafted Caltrops no longer activate when dropped
-Potential fix for bug where player could be unable to move after canceling a Med Kit use
-Improved physical placement of items within Airdrop containers
-Updated game credits to include a shout-out to our phenomenal PR team at Evolve PR
-Crafting Guide now accurately displays FUNC cost of Crafted Snare
-Fixed bug that allowed SMG to be reloaded for 50 FUNC (now costs 75)
-Increased FUNC cost of Lumberjack Airdrop to 115 from 85
-Steel Snare in Thief Airdrop now includes 4 charges instead of 3
-Fixed bug where low-stamina player breathing sounds were not playing
-Fix for mouse sensitivity resetting when changing a keybinding
-Added animations for bush interaction while holding various weapons
-Added animations for FUNC-related interactions while holding various weapons
-Three Crate Monte match event no longer unlocks Airdrops when opening “trick” crates
-Fix for arrow not appearing on bow after crafting new arrows from zero ammo
-Fix for being unable to reapply stims while using Chemist perk
-Fix for Alarm Gun having physics issues preventing it from being easily retrieved from lockers
-Fix for intermittent bug where all HUD elements were stuck on in the UI
-Fix for poison gas visuals sometimes displaying in safe areas

Playing the healing station while fighting was kind of dumb and I'm not sad to see it go. Pretty much everything I've noticed while playing and though "Huh, that's pretty annoying" has been fixed. Hopefully we have some larger, game-changing patches ahead of us to spice up how matches play out. I really want to see more events, especially more like the 'killswitch' and less random loot drops that may or may not be near you/good.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Sokani posted:

Patch dropped, bold is mine

Playing the healing station while fighting was kind of dumb and I'm not sad to see it go. Pretty much everything I've noticed while playing and though "Huh, that's pretty annoying" has been fixed. Hopefully we have some larger, game-changing patches ahead of us to spice up how matches play out. I really want to see more events, especially more like the 'killswitch' and less random loot drops that may or may not be near you/good.

Honestly this is an amazing QoL patch, glad to see it drop so fast, these devs are crushing it.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

This game is fun and worth the price it currently is.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Grenades are cool but I have an issue with using dynamite effectively in fights. I think the best I've had with it is being chased by dudes in a fight I can't win and going :jihad: by lighting it as running away

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Knifegrab posted:

No worries, there are a ton of things in this game that aren't super obvious.

For instance: Hit a tree a bunch and a branch will spawn from it. Hit a boulder or rock face a bunch and a rock will spawn from it.

Also when you spawn immediately craft a satchel (branch + branch = bandage + branch = satchel).

Once you get the FUNC don't forget a Satchel + Rock = Body armor.

Some other things people might not realize:

You can swap item slots without dropping items. Press and hold the destination slot for the currently selected item.

Backpacks can be used in place of satchels for recipes, so if you have a backpack already, it's easy/cheap body armor.

Crouching lets you walk through traps without setting them off supposedly. (I think a dev said this, I just haven't done it)

The high bridges (With the center/shielded area) can be used as traps/etc, shooting them will make the floor swing down.

If you're playing with a buddy and they have an airdrop unlocked that you want, have them pick it. If they order it and you're the one that opens it, you'll unlock it.

If you've got the inventory free because you haven't found good loot, don't underestimate the value in a cheap caltrops or smoke bomb or punji sticks craft. (~5 func ea)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Fayk posted:

Some other things people might not realize:
You can swap item slots without dropping items. Press and hold the destination slot for the currently selected item.

I love you.

Jolly Guy
Sep 24, 2011
Game has been a lot of fun, finally got a victory too. SMG is kinda powerful. Like 5-10 shots from far away and they're dead powerful. The only bad thing about the patch is the C4 is broken. Found that one out the hard way....

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Man, stealth is way too good. If you aren't using it you are at a huge disadvantage.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Grenades are cool but I have an issue with using dynamite effectively in fights. I think the best I've had with it is being chased by dudes in a fight I can't win and going :jihad: by lighting it as running away

If this game ever adds voice chat I'm going to play a dynamite fizzle sound so that I can freak people out and get away.

Megafunk fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 10, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Megafunk posted:

Man, stealth way too good. If you aren't using it you are at a huge disadvantage.

If this game ever adds voice chat I'm going to play a dynamite fizzle sound so that I can freak people out and get away.

Yeah stealthy is easily the strongest perk in the game hands down.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Unfortunately it really does seem like the fastest weapon wins most of the time here. I can't really get pushing to work correctly, it seems like half of the time it just clips right through them, and going for a strong attack without that stun is suicidal.

I also keep seeing people say "oh I've won 15 out of the 19 games I played game isnt that hard". These people are liars.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Here's my official perks tier list so everyone can just not make theirs because mine is the best one because I eked out some wins and am a The Culling™ Expert.
I haven't even used most of these, so I should probably try more of them.

"You had better use this unless you like losing or are good enough to take down everyone else who uses it" Tier

Stealth - The murdergod, nobody can hear you do anything but hit trees or groan.
Leg Day - Go fast to run away or stab people, being slightly faster than the competition means they can't melee you unless you want it or mess up.

"Make the game a lot easier and will help in numerous ways" Tier

Backpacker - You have five inventory slots! You can carry more stuff! It's good because backpacks are hard to find in buildings. Since it's so popular to take you might just find one off the first two people you kill, though. Speeds up looting a lot. Maybe less useful in doubles with two dudes getting loot.
Chemist - THREE times longer stims? Oh yes. Stims themselves are great and this makes them so much better.
Regenerator - 1hp/5s? Translates to FUNC savings early game and lategame slight advantage. Great perk.
Big boned - In one on one fights having 15 more hp could save you.
Recovery / Big Lungs - Great for running away/chasing? I don't know about these but I've heard a lot of good things.
Think Skin - Many people swear by this. You will have a huge advantage in ranged fights.
Ol' Painless - 10% extra damage seems just good. You will kill mans slightly harder.

"Really good if you get items related to it through airdrops or luck or REALLY go hard in one weapon type or just cool" Tier

Longshot - Much better version of blowhard, but still not that cool.
Bow Flexer - More velocity means you might hit more often with the bow, especially other ranged users. Seems great? I need to test this one.
Load Dropper - Less chance of some other nerd stealing your 100+ FUNC worth of stuff? Cool, I suppose.
Armorer - Crafting Armour isn't that hard! But you might get saved in an early fight by taking less damage than the other nerd.
Cannibal - Late game this could be your winning ticket after murdering one of the last few guys, but I don't see it being too amazing when I only kill 3 or so people each winning game. This one is probably undervalued by me.
Tough Mother - Having 15% more health seems better than taking 10% less damage. Maybe my math is wrong?
Immunity - Getting backstabbed sucks! But it probably means you suck. Probably amazing in teams when people get around you more often. Maybe undervalued.
Bomb Suit - Seems like it would help a lot with jihad explosive builds. Explosives will be used lots lategame as well, but not that much.
Golden Arm - Make throwing REALLY good! The problem is you have to never miss throws. Throwing is very hard to pull off.
Master Crafter - In a crafting focused build this seems like the way to go. Probably not the greatest lategame.

Brutus - This will just oneshot people you backstab. GREAT in teams because that happens a lot more often.

... And Every melee weapon perk except for the bad ones like wounding bonuses

"Based around a class of weapons which you can't guarantee you will have and just too niche/not as good as the above" Tier

Blowhard - The blowgun doesn't hit that hard in the first place.
Blowsafe - You won't be getting much out of this unless you are trading shots with a ranged user for a long time.
Stunner - 1/5 chance to cripple? If you hit a dude enough to trigger it they are probably bonered already.
Disablity Insurance - You won't be using enough blinding weapons to get anything out of this, imo. Also they are already stuck with the stun gun.
Moneybags - Will this ever net you more than 10 or so extra FUNC?
Cheapskate - I guess if you heavily rely on crafted items? I don't know.
Alarm Gunner - Who cares? Alarm guns seem very lame.
Man Tracker- Man trackers are really good. Knowing where the nearest dude won't save you, though.
Faster Trapper - Oh boy, my trap is set slightly faster! Unless you are actively slapping down punji sticks behind you this seems dumb.
Faster Crafter - Yes, sometimes you really need to turn that stick into a thing faster. Most of the time you won't be crafting under pressure, though. Maybe good with a crafting focused build?
Trapper - Traps are pretty good, but not that good.

"You are wasting a perk slot" Tier

Code Red - Unless that is a really big bleed wound... Who cares?
Blowzoom - Just lean into the screen or something. Hitting somebody with a blowdart that far away might not matter too much anyways.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I also keep seeing people say "oh I've won 15 out of the 19 games I played game isnt that hard". These people are liars.

I mean being consistently in the top 5 isn't that amazing, but winning? I can't see anyone winning that much especially when the last dude left has a gun. Maybe I suck.

Megafunk fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 10, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Goddammit, I really need to stop reading threads for games I don't own. My buddy and I just bought this game so I hope it doesn't suck rear end and gets released someday.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 10, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man, the combat in this game is floaty as hell. Pushes work when they want to and even blocking seems to be either impenetrable or needing to be exactly in the right direction, depending on the day and lunar cycle.

Or I might just be bad. There's a lot of people with a ton of really weird cosmetics so I assume that there's a glut of people who've been marathoning this since it came out.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
The combat does feel really janky in laggy situations. I wish it was as smooth as stuff like chivalry or mount and blade. (Which aren't that smooth themselves) It works sometimes, though.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Fun with explosives:

1. Set a cheap Air Drop (Self Defense is 55)
2. Setup remote explosives on air drop pad
3. Call in air drop
4. Hide
5. Trigger on newbs looking for easy loot

We've had a 75% success with this tactic and it's devastates hapless pubs.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Should I just keep using Surprise to get all the airdrops? I want to get the cheaper ones like Self Defense. I didn't know it was so cheap.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Megafunk posted:

Should I just keep using Surprise to get all the airdrops? I want to get the cheaper ones like Self Defense. I didn't know it was so cheap.

You need to be opportunistic with attacking an Air Drop. The easiest way is to shoot it down with a bow while it's in transit. Otherwise, hope it's close and toss smoke/explosives at the guys looting it. You can also unlock Air Drops from the random events in game.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
So, have hackers ruined this game yet?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Why do shoves work half the time, I keep getting killed because people are swinging through my shoves even if I hit them first. It's pretty frustrating.

Captain Gordon posted:

So, have hackers ruined this game yet?

It just came out so two days.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ended up as the second to last person left and lost because the other guy was better at the shoving match meta game.

Yeah this game is really cool but they need to do some serious work to make one-on-one melee fights not suck.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Losing a 1v1 melee is always frustrating. You need to figure out what kind of player they are in order to win the rock/paper/scissors of shoving and blocking to determine how aggressive they are with swings/blocking.. I swear some people lost to me just because I lag the hell out. I just killed 6 people last match because I poached people crafting/fighting other players instead of fighting one on one.

EDIT: Anybody down to do teams? Not enough of you assholes are in the steam group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Cullingoons

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

What's the deal with the guns? Are they just random drops? They seem kind of ridiculous, one shot from a magnum took me from 33 health to dead.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Guns can be had from airdrops for ~180 FUNC and can also spawn from the blue and red crates. They come with 1 clip, which is only significant for the smg (20 shots versus 6 for the magnum and 4 for the rifle). They do a ton of damage and 1 clip is enough to kill someone and severely wound another. All of the guns get an extra clip for 75 FUNC at the red barrels.

If you don't have a gun airdrop and want one, start reacting to the airdrop events that happen randomly, especially Loot Pinata and Three Crate Monte since they always spawn in the middle. Keep an alarm gun around and use it to shoot the air drops out of the sky and loot them quickly. Bows work as well, but an alarm gun can shoot down airdrops that are still in their fastest phase of travel if you're attentive and lucky.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

This game is pretty rad. Definitely worth the $15.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I hardly ever do any crafting. I guess theoretically crafting weapons is decent if you want to get some early kills, but I find it more efficient to just find the nearest building and loot it. Pretty much every time I'll find one or two weapons that are better than anything I could craft anyways.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
If I can't get a weapon from a building near spawn I'll make one (usually I get a melee or ranged from a locker and craft whichever type I don't get), and I usually try to keep a bandage handy, but that's about it aside from making arrows for a bow. I know some people say that Backpacker is a waste of a perk but I think that the time and FUNC that it saves me from crafting a satchel in the beginning works well.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

PantsOptional posted:

If I can't get a weapon from a building near spawn I'll make one (usually I get a melee or ranged from a locker and craft whichever type I don't get), and I usually try to keep a bandage handy, but that's about it aside from making arrows for a bow. I know some people say that Backpacker is a waste of a perk but I think that the time and FUNC that it saves me from crafting a satchel in the beginning works well.

Personally I'd prefer to get something over backpacker but I totally think its a good perk. Its not one of the garbage tier perks thats for sure.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
The best way to get a backpack is to steal one off of a corpse. :unsmigghh:

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I think the only time I craft is to get bandages to heal in a pinch. Otherwise I just take crates and drops. Crafting is still nice to have but I'm honestly kind of relieved they don't put a lot of weight in it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Am I just being paranoid or is there already a lot of cheating in this game? I had one match where a guy tased my teammate and I over and over again with no cooldown. Another one where a guy brought me from full health to dead with 3 axe swings.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I was a little freaked out at people saying this was super hardware intensive but my computer can run it at 720p, everything on high, with no real problem. Which is great since it seems to be everything I wanted from H1Z1 but without the general jankyness or instant death upon landing.

- edit My first game. Get all the gear I want, wander around trying to find people, finally see somebody, try to be super pro and kill him with a grenade, he runs into the woods, as I'm trying to hit him with a bow, some guy backstabs me and carves me up with a chainsaw. Fun. Hopefully I'll find the crate with the man tracker soon.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 11, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The mantracker is good but honestly if anyone is nearby you're probably going to hear them opening lockers, changing weapons, or just generally running around. As long as you keep your ears and eyes open it's rare that anyone will be able to sneak up on you.

That said, the mantracker is actually super useful to know when you're alone. Say when you call in an airdrop, or want to loot a building. It's really nice to be able to look at it and know that there isn't anyone in your area.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Yeah, the man tracker's real use to me is in letting me know that I have a little time to heal up or wait for an airdrop or something. Last night it was a pretty perfect item for me - my airdrop was the bugged "Surprise Me" for a cost of $0, which was of course an empty box. I just kept calling in the air drop at various locations , hiding nearby, and using the tracker to let me know when my bait was attracting targets that I would then shoot to death.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

PantsBandit posted:

Am I just being paranoid or is there already a lot of cheating in this game? I had one match where a guy tased my teammate and I over and over again with no cooldown. Another one where a guy brought me from full health to dead with 3 axe swings.

The only cheat I've seen firsthand (and seen reports of as well) is people cheating with bow damage for doing impossible damage with a crafted bow.

That doesn't mean there aren't or won't be more, but I've not heard of those. The right axe and the right perks could probably kill in three swings I imagine. Though since it's obviously possible to do more than that (ie, 100 damage shot with crafted) I wonder why they would cheat only to keep it ~33% of your life.

Edit: and what a surprise that when I checked the profile of the cheater that they had a VAC ban and 2 game bans. Whee.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 11, 2016

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Explosives work again :getin:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fayk posted:

The only cheat I've seen firsthand (and seen reports of as well) is people cheating with bow damage for doing impossible damage with a crafted bow.

Are headshots not supposed to OHK with the crafted bow? I had someone do that to me, snipe me dead from full through a window somehow, but since it was messing around with a recycler I figured he just had time to set up a good shot

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Got my first win! I waited until there was three of us left. Spent a good three minutes camped in a bush with a mantracker until I saw the last two engage. After the survivor started looting the other, I rushed in and stuck a javelin right in his head! Victory! Ended with three kills.

This game is good. The 25 minute round means the stakes are sorta high 'cause of your time investment, but not so much that you're super bummed out at a crushing loss. Shame that victory doesn't let you choose a piece of clothing or something.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Just won an hour and thirty minute game because the poison gas never triggered and I was stuck solo against two teams of two. I am glad the game has a hard limit time limit normally because that was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Are headshots not supposed to OHK with the crafted bow? I had someone do that to me, snipe me dead from full through a window somehow, but since it was messing around with a recycler I figured he just had time to set up a good shot

The crafted bow should do 12 damage fully charged. Let's say they somehow also took the perks that increase crafted bow damage by 55% (The one that increases crafted weapon damage by 15% and the one that increases bow damage by 40% at 40 meters and beyond). Headshots (according to the developers) should do double damage. You cannot take more than 37 points of damage from a crafted bow in any circumstance assuming damage perks round up and I am not forgetting something. If you take 100 damage from anything but a rifle headshot you died to a cheater.

One time this happened to me when I was in the middle of disarming my own explosive mine. Guess what happened when he came over to loot my body?

• Locked thread