Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Megafunk posted:

You cannot take more than 37 points of damage from a crafted bow in any circumstance assuming damage perks round up and I am not forgetting something.

There's a weakness debuff, but I have no idea what it does or if it amplifies damage. Could that come into play? I know I've taken 67 damage from a crafted bow headshot, but I was stuck in a snare and I believe they cause weakness in addition to holding you in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Weakness debuffs the damage that you deal, it doesn't affect the damage that you take.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Last night my air drop cost 0 func but also had nothing in it. Ended up calling them all over the place and throwing up traps around them, ended up killing 3 people looking to get some easy loot

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man, the anticheat must be pretty swiss cheese. Just had -another- match with someone standing in the center and OHK-ing people with a crafted bow as soon as he saw them. They aren't aimbotting, they must just be changing the bow to do 1000 damage or something.

E. Just won my first match by getting lucky and ending up with an SMG and a revolver out of blue boxes. Once you get a gun you really can cause a death spiral for everyone else. Tasers are still crazy good for their cost, three charges is more than enough to backstab chain anyone.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 12, 2016

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
So I bought this after watching people stream it for the past three days. I seem to have run into a problem though, everything in the game except the UI looks...weird. It's as if it's rendering at a low resolution then scaling up non-integer. There's also z-fighting everywhere.

I'm running windowed and set everything to highest, which did nothing besides max out at 25fps. Lowering stuff made it draw at around 60fps, but still the same sort of odd looking graphics. Anyone run into this before?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Stealthy is now officially my favorite perk. After getting the drop on a player in one building I went to another and managed to sneak up behind another while he was recycling items. He never even noticed as I planted C4 next to him and backpedaled away to ignite it. Besides that, it's saved my rear end so many times in Team play when I'm alone and another team comes by.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Red Mike posted:

So I bought this after watching people stream it for the past three days. I seem to have run into a problem though, everything in the game except the UI looks...weird. It's as if it's rendering at a low resolution then scaling up non-integer. There's also z-fighting everywhere.

I'm running windowed and set everything to highest, which did nothing besides max out at 25fps. Lowering stuff made it draw at around 60fps, but still the same sort of odd looking graphics. Anyone run into this before?

This screenshot looks like your render quality is set really low. I think at extreme it's at your native resolution. UE4 is dumb and thinks people expect to play video games rendering half their real resolution.

EDIT: Wait, you set everything to the highest already? I have no idea then.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Red Mike posted:

Did you try running it full screen?

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Megafunk posted:

This screenshot looks like your render quality is set really low. I think at extreme it's at your native resolution. UE4 is dumb and thinks people expect to play video games rendering half their real resolution.

EDIT: Wait, you set everything to the highest already? I have no idea then.

That screenshot was at low, this is what it looks like at highest.

That's...not an improvement in the least. e: actually the only difference is that I was running at a different windowed resolution (lower, oddly), so it does look as if it's doing something silly like rendering smaller and then upscaling.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Did you try running it full screen?

Fullscreen and borderless both look the same, except on my entire screen. I played borderless one match and it got me nauseous trying to track someone with my bow while they were moving.

For reference, my card is a GTX 760, so it should definitely cope. My graphics drivers are just one version out of date though, so I'll be trying tomorrow after I update.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just had my first two victories almost back to back. Felt loving good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Does anyone else find themselves not using air drops at all? You can find decent weapons fairly easily and with the cost of of one of the gun-containing air drops costs as much as four blue box opens (if you recycle what you find inside). The one reason I can see for them is if you go for weapon-specific perks, but I have been going stealthy/backpacker/golden arm as of late.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dreylad posted:

Just won an hour and thirty minute game because the poison gas never triggered and I was stuck solo against two teams of two. I am glad the game has a hard limit time limit normally because that was awful.

What? You won though! That sounds incredible. I'd like to hear more about this.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Megafunk posted:

. If you take 100 damage from anything but a rifle headshot you died to a cheater.

One exception. I think a backstab+charge etec from a spear throw can theoretically do more than 100 right? there was something like that, I thought

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Is there some secret to running that I don't know about? I have the Leg Day perk, and 9 times out of 10 when I see someone approaching I run, because kids these days have faster reaction times in melee combat than me, so I try to outsmart them with traps and stuff. The problem is, even with Leg Day, I always get overtaken by the person chasing me with an axe. Even with a decent lead on the guy, and me at a full sprint, they always catch up to me fairly quickly. Running is almost not even an option, and I'm not quite sure why.

I realize there are more movement speed bonus perks when you hold a certain weapon, but this happens with all players, and I doubt all of them are stacking double movement speed bonuses. It also happens early in the game before they have a chance to grab a weapon for their second perk. So what gives? Why are these people so much faster than me when I have a whole perk slot dedicated to moving fast? Does the (unperked) weapon you're holding affect movement speed?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Are there known issues with the netcode currently? I keep dying in melee to people using other melee weapons, even though they are not shoving me and I am consistently blocking. It feels like the melee system isn't working as intended in a network context.

Valdor
Feb 13, 2012
Leg day and Run with Knives is a pretty good combination, feels good being able to just stab a dude and run circles around him as he bleeds to death

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Is there a way to not show up on the mantracker? I just played my 3rd round, found one of them and went to a building, checked the tracker, okay no one in 99+ range of me, let's look in there, and got backstabbed by someone who must have been camping in there when I tried to open an crate.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Does anyone else find themselves not using air drops at all? You can find decent weapons fairly easily and with the cost of of one of the gun-containing air drops costs as much as four blue box opens (if you recycle what you find inside). The one reason I can see for them is if you go for weapon-specific perks, but I have been going stealthy/backpacker/golden arm as of late.

If you want to play mostly ignoring airdrops you should either get stalker for the stun gun or one of the gun drops-- just in case you go on a spree and have extra func either option is good and fits basically any play style.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Installed newest drivers, looks sort of better?

The most annoying bits now are the dithered shadows and the z-fighting.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I managed to befriend a guy who's rear end I saved from being speared to death in FFA, we went on to kill 6 or 7 people between us. Then it was just us left, and there can only be one winner...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Is there a way to not show up on the mantracker? I just played my 3rd round, found one of them and went to a building, checked the tracker, okay no one in 99+ range of me, let's look in there, and got backstabbed by someone who must have been camping in there when I tried to open an crate.

"99+" is a lot shorter than you might think, anything less than that what you might consider "medium range". They are mostly designed for "is there someone in the building I am not next to, and if not where can I go to find someone"

Brackhar posted:

Are there known issues with the netcode currently? I keep dying in melee to people using other melee weapons, even though they are not shoving me and I am consistently blocking. It feels like the melee system isn't working as intended in a network context.

It really isn't the best, I have only seem a few cases of straight up rubber banding but there is definitely some latency involved with melee combat, especially when people are shoving.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 14, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just had a FFA victory in kind of a unique way. Had Surprise Me as my supply drop, ended up costing 185 so I figure, ok, there's gotta be a gun in there. So I spent the next 10 or so minutes just running around the map, collecting FUNC. Finally made enough to call in my drop. Hucked a machete up at the drone to get it to drop a little quicker and just as it hit the ground a guy starting shooting me with arrows. I was able to pull back enough to complete the opening animation and, sure enough, there was a revolver inside. Pumped five rounds into the guy and then teabagged him a bit for trying to steal my hard-earned drop.

Spent my last bullet on a guy chasing me. I knew he wasn't going to give up so I whipped around, fired a round at him, and then kept running. I was out of ammo but he probably figured it was a bad idea to keep chasing. After that it was just a matter of saving up enough money to reload. With a fully loaded revolver there was basically nothing the last guy could do.

This game is fun!

edit: Oh, another notable moment came tonight when my friend and I were playing doubles. My friend died, so it was me vs a team of 2. I managed to kill the first guy, look over at his teammate...and the dude is naked with no weapons. He tried to beat me to death with his bare hands.

I mean, it takes balls. But it was a really strange sight.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 14, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

3-way fights in FFA are such a weird experience. No one wants to turn their back on anyone so you end up just dancing around in a weird triangle til someone makes a move and attacks or runs

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

After a couple of really disappointing doubles matches, CaptainAssholay and I just got our first full-team win. The fact that our second kill was a dude who had a katana did a lot to cinch the late game for us. Feels good as hell.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I think at this point I can say the weakest part of my game is how I take actual fights. I feel like I lose plentty of fights one on one that I should have thee advantage in.

That said, somehow I won two solo games in a row. I was just trying to unlock more airdrops via surprise me but it absolutely refuses to give me the last few I need.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What? You won though! That sounds incredible. I'd like to hear more about this.

Well about 10 minutes into the match there's obviously something up when the "Phase 1 Map Closure" doesn't pop up. My partner is killed in a skirmish with some better equipped guys and I run from them. I'm using a spear-focused build, with the +speed, leg day, and long bleed. Unfortunately all I have is a tier 1 crafted spear, a crafted bow, and a bandage.

What I soon realize as the timer reaches 0 and the match drags on is that I have one huge advantage: I'm the only one with a mantracker.

Now, that's an assumption on my part, because I figured the two other remaining teams would have their own and hunt me down, and I'd quickly be killed. Instead both teams hunker down and begin to camp. I quickly locate one team hanging out in the centre, slowly calling in airdrops and building up their equipment supply. I go into full Vietcong mode and start shooting arrows at them as much as I can, and I create as many Punji sticks as I can.

I place the punji sticks everywhere. I throw them in the water around the centre ring, I place them in every shadowy corner of the central bridge. I take potshots at the one team and place punji sticks all around me so when they charge in they have to start throwing up everywhere and I get a few stabs in before running away. But it's not slowing them down and I decide I need to try to lure the two teams into each other if I'm going to have any chance of winning this thing. This is about 50 minutes into the match and I'm wondering what enjoyment the other two teams are deriving from sitting around in the same area. I'm at least trying out different items, experimenting with different set-ups against opponents who are at least more competent than the AI.

I set off to find the other team, and soon locate them in that three story building in the mountains. There's a billboard nearby, and another building close to it that cuts through the mountain and comes out the other side behind that building. Those two buildings end up playing a huge role in the final confrontation.

As it turns out the other team has been sitting in the three story building for what I'm guessing is now an hour and ten minutes. They have trapped the entire approach, they challenged me outside the building when I got close, trying to lure me into what was a pretty obvious punji stick/snare trap.

What they didn't take into account was the poison vent sitting right in front of their doom fortress. Since neither team has a mantracker I need to dislodge one team, get them to chase me or at least move so I can try to engineering a confrontation between the two groups. So I sneak forward when they're not looking, using my mantracker behind cover to make sure I'm not about to be rushed and vent their poison tank, which consumes the entire building and I see them having to jump off the back of the building for safety. Unfortunately after the poison clears they go right back to camping. I do it again because I'm trying to amuse myself and justify staying in this game at this point, hoping that the noise actually pulls the other team camping in the middle to the three-story doom fortress.

Out of options, I explore the building that cuts through the mountain and discover that, miraculously, it hasn't been looted. And there's a ton of loot in there. Medkits, tier 2 weapons, I sell everything, stash the medkits, exit out the back of the mountain and call in my boar hunter airdrop. The airdrop does finally stir the Centre Camping team into action and thanks to my paranoid use of the mantracker I notice they're about 60m away, coming around the back side of the mountain, closing fast.

On one hand, I'm kind of caught between the two groups. One sitting in their doom fortress, the other on the move, loaded to the teeth with an hour and a half worth of farming airdrops. On the other hand, this might be my best shot in luring the two groups into each other. If I can survive.

I start racing towards the doom fortress. A rifle shot nails me in the back and I know I'm in trouble. The Central team has caught up to me and is using their guns freely because why not they probably have two each. The gunfire draws the attention of the Doom Fortress Team and they start shooting arrows at me from the other direction. I hug the wall and see what could be my salvation. The poison tank.

Unfortunately the Doom Fortress team has learned from their mistakes and saturated the area around the tank in punji sticks. I didn't yet realize you could avoid triggering them by crouch walking, so at that very moment I was hestitant to mash it and run. Thankfully, for whatever reason the Doom Fortress team heads downstairs to kill me, instead watching me sprint by them and lead the gun-toting Centre Team into them.

All I hear are explosions and gunfire, men grunting and I have 36 health. I get around to the far side of the poison vent and risk a glance. The Doom Fortress Team has actually lured the Centre team into their building. Holy poo poo, this might work. They're not even paying attention to me anymore. Holy poo poo.

I know it's now-or-never, and I impale myself on punji sticks and mash the activation on the Poison vent. The wave of green gas sweeps outwards in every direction, and only thanks to my increased run speed with a spear I manage to outrun it, in spite of my puking, popping my medkit once I have enough distance.

I figure I've probably scared them, hopefully hurt them severely that they've had to back off and heal, depleting their supplies.

Then one guy dies. Awesome, that will help.

Then a second guy dies. And he's on a different team. It's a 3 way FFA!

I skirt along the bottom of the cliff near the now irradiated Doom Fortress hoping to re-position in the hills and start trying to pick off anyone who escaped my poison gambit. And then a third guy dies from the poison. Holy poo poo it's 1v1!

Using the mantracker I realize the last guy is on the other side of the rock where I'm hiding. Time to finish this: I rush him, he brandishes a gun, my health drops by half, I stab him once and run the gently caress away.

I figure my best bet at this point is to get to the health station at the Doom Fortress and use that to draw him in close and finish him off. Unfortunately the ground is littered in punji sticks. They're everywhere. I do my best to dodge bullets and the punji sticks, but eventually I clip one and start emptying my stomach. Welp, I guess I'm dead, I think.

No, as it turns out, my opponent also hits a punji stick. Now he's puking his guts out, trying to chase me. I get to the health station, throw up, then start healing and using the station as a form of cover. I know you puke at least twice, and he's puked once. He gets within 20m. 15m. 10m. He's taking pot shots at me with his SMG. And then as he gets to the far side of the healing station, he leans over to puke. I chuck my first spear at him and close in with my second. One stab knocks the gun out of his hands. He jumps away and pulls out a second. I clip him with another hit and he drops that. And in his panic he turns around to grab the gun he dropped and I backstab him.

He dies. I win. I won an hour and a half game of The Culling, and all I'm left with is some rare shorts and the sinking feeling that this was all a huge waste of time.

Well there's my story, sorry for the giant wall of text.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Fantastic, thank you for that.

Finlands Sexiest
Feb 26, 2007
So the servers are in North America? Can euro goons recommend the game at this moment? Is there much lagging?

edit:\/\/ Bought the game and it works fine lag wise!

Finlands Sexiest fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 15, 2016

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I think they added European servers recently in a patch. http://steamcommunity.com/games/437220/announcements/detail/652266106136232327 You can change which one you queue for in the settings.

Megafunk fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 15, 2016

ROFLSAWS
Mar 28, 2005

You can't hide forever, Methuselah
College Slice
Watch and learn, scrubs.

https://www.twitch.tv/roflsaws/v/54551016

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Gonna be a new patch tomorrow (biggest news is stun gun nerf and golden arm/thrown weapon nerf) :

Major Changes 
Added Oceania regional servers
Rebalanced Stun Gun (Ammo reduced from 3 to 2, Stun wound duration reduced from 3 seconds to 2 seconds, Self Defense Airdrop cost increased to 90 FUNC, Stalker Airdrop cost increased to 100 FUNC)
Med Station healing is now interrupted when healing player performs combat actions
Players who disconnect now have a timeout before exiting (no more rage-quitting mid-fight to deny your opponent a kill)
Minor Changes 
Addict Airdrop cost reduced to 75 FUNC
Fix for text chat input disrupting camera control
Fix for several text-related bugs
Bows found in Airdrops now include 24 arrows and text descriptions reflect that
Fix for a bug that allowed a bow to be duplicated
Fix for a bug where changing server region reset graphics settings
Fix for several stuck spots in the map
Airdrops are now sorted by FUNC cost
Pressing Left Mouse Button during trap placement or stim usage will no longer cancel usage. Right Mouse Button now cancels
Players with Blindness wound can no longer see opponents’ HUD Health/Stamina/Wound display
Using the Center Kill Switch to activate gas pylons will now give the button-pressing player credit for resulting kills
Rocks and Branches now deal reduced throw damage (which does not scale when charged)
Removed backstab bonus for thrown weapons
Crafting and item interaction are now interrupted when player performs combat actions
Rebalanced Faster Trapper perk. Now affects trap disarm time in addition to trap deployment. Deploy and Disarm times are reduced by 75%
Fix for some Med Kits allowing three uses
Fix for inventory items temporarily disappearing for some players

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
Is the center kill switch random? I was under the impression it appeared if there was a long lull in the murders as a way to force people closer together.

Also, just when I think I'm getting the hang of the combat in this game, I lose 3 fights back to back where I had a massive advantage. Really makes me feel like a chode.

Still a great game though.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Dreylad posted:

He dies. I win. I won an hour and a half game of The Culling, and all I'm left with is some rare shorts and the sinking feeling that this was all a huge waste of time.

Well there's my story, sorry for the giant wall of text.

At least it made for a good tale.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Well, it looks like there may be some interesting competition:

Ark launche Survival of the Fittest as free game

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 16, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Brackhar posted:

Well, it looks like there may be some interesting competition:

Ark launche Survival of the Fittest as free game

The people at Daybreak Games must be very unhappy right about now.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

GaussianCopula posted:

The people at Daybreak Games must be very unhappy right about now.

They just canceled their potentially flagship title and now this. Someone may have to talk the company down off the ledge.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Ark is a dog poo poo game though. It runs like at a buttery smooth 6 fps.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

Ark is a dog poo poo game though. It runs like at a buttery smooth 6 fps.

Even when it was running okay it has a weird blurring effect to it, wasn't a fan.

I didn't end up playing much because my favorite part of Rust was making a shack on a new server and going on naked rampages across the server. If I wanted to have a game where I have to log in every day or risk all of my hard-earned pets starving to death then I would get a loving dog.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You totally can do exactly that though? Go on naked rampages I mean. There's a ton of youtube videos about it. Also it takes like, actual weeks for your dinos to starve and that's if you intentionally neglect them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

In this new mode, it seems like you aren't able to respawn, and the gameplay would be much quicker than the original ARK. Anyone familiar with this mod? They're positioning it as an e-sport, so it seems like games would be <1 hour for it to be of interest to an audience.

• Locked thread