Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riven
Apr 22, 2002
And not against some other waster team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Riven posted:

And not against some other waster team.

That's up for debate.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Star Man posted:

THE RAPIDS WON A GAME

THE RAPIDS loving WON A GAME

This but the Union

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Tigren posted:

That's up for debate.

Sure. But last year LA would have scored at 44:00, we would have suddenly decided to get aggressive, we would have scored at 93:00, and then while we were celebrating Rowe would have kicked it in from the other end of the field and we'd have lost 2-1. This is a marked improvement.

What I meant was "and not against Chicago."

We've been promised that the next acquisition would be a guy who could score great goals for two years. After Gashi sent two kicks just outside the net, I was already thinking "here we go again..." And then Pappa...

Riven fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 13, 2016

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The LA Galaxy are an overpriced boondoggle and an embarrassment to the continent.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Is the Chicago Fire really that bad, or was this game against Houston just an aberration?

(FIRE BAD)

edit: Nevermind, I meant FC Dallas... I don't know how I got those two teams mixed up.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 13, 2016

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Chaos in the league tonight

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Bio-Hazard posted:

Is the Chicago Fire really that bad, or was this game against Houston just an aberration?

(FIRE BAD)

Chicago is pretty bad, but are you referring to tonight's game between the Houston Dynamo and FC Dallas?

EDIT: You can't really say much this early, but this is definitely a different synergy so far. This is Owen Coyle's team and he's made wholesale changes over the squad he inherited last year. This team has a much speedier attack and while it still has problems on defense, Andrew Wenger has two goals and two assists after two games. Tonight, four different Dynamo players scored goals (aside from Owen Goal) and the team has 8 goals in 180 minutes of play. Whatever it is, I like it and I hope it lasts.

Hungryjack fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 13, 2016

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Star Man posted:

THE RAPIDS WON A GAME

And it was awesome. Nothing like a goal at 95' to make you go :toot:.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

Hungryjack posted:

Chicago is pretty bad, but are you referring to tonight's game between the Houston Dynamo and FC Dallas?

LOL yes. Why is FC Dallas so bad this year? Is this a rebuilding year?

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Star Man posted:

THE RAPIDS WON A GAME

It's because they brought back Rapidman, you know.

Meanwhile, let's hear it for 4th 0-0 home opener in a row, Revs!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Bio-Hazard posted:

LOL yes. Why is FC Dallas so bad this year? Is this a rebuilding year?

That was only their second game, and they won their first one. Dallas are still one of the best teams in the league, they just had an awful night last night.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

camoseven posted:

That was only their second game, and they won their first one. Dallas are still one of the best teams in the league, they just had an awful night last night.

Yeah, they didn't change much in the offseason did they? I'm gonna have to go back and watch that first 30 minutes again because I'm not even sure how such a big defensive lapse could happen to them. I bet a lot of teams are going to study that first 30, too. I expect them to do even better than last year, honestly.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The 2016 Seattle Sounders are both bad and not good. :smith:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hoover Dam posted:

I was there to high five him. Whoa.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

David Accam is Very Good.

The rest of the Fire...ehhhhhhhhh.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
All our teams are bad. MLS is BACK baby

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
N: Apparently Vancouver traded Darron Mattocks to Portland

V: Just what Portland needs, another forward who can't finish!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

whypick1 posted:

That was exactly what I thought.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
If Porter is willing to give us Literally Anything to add to his collection of ex-Zips then more power to him.

I realise I'm going to be seething about that 2012 draft forever and Wenger isn't even THAT good (yesterday aside), it's just that Mattocks has been such a low bar to clear.

(fake edit: I should not have looked up who else went later in the first round that year, I wanted to sleep tonight.)

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Wenger isn't even THAT good (yesterday aside)

He was pretty solid the week before as well with a goal and great work on both ends of the field.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hoover Dam posted:

Let's break chicago's record!!!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Sporting KC's garbage team is unbeaten, hooray

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nostradingus posted:

NERevs garbage team is unbeaten, hooray

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

whypick1 posted:

This is official now. I don't really understand why Portland thinks they need another forward, but have fun!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Anyone want to read a 60+ page academic article written by UCLA Law professor Steven Bank titled "Major League Soccer as a Case Study in Complexity Theory"?

Today's your lucky day!

He's also called Bruce Arena the "Donald Trump of TAM". This guy is awesome.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 14, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Tigren posted:

Anyone want to read a 60+ page academic article written by UCLA Law professor Steven Bank titled "Major League Soccer as a Case Study in Complexity Theory"?

Today's your lucky day!

Ball's in your court, Big Soccer.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tigren posted:

Today's your lucky day!

maybe Mr. Failed Academic should compare MLS rules to, say, the other soccer leagues that people actually compare them to

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Hoover Dam posted:

At least the weather was good. No snow this year.

Overheard while walking out after end of game: "tie games are like, un-American, man!"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm still amazed the Revs not only still play in an NFL stadium, but have no plans to move out. Like, you'd think in 21 years Robert Kraft would do something.

e: Why did nobody tell me Kraft was trying to get a South Boston stadium?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

CaptainYesterday posted:

I'm still amazed the Revs not only still play in an NFL stadium, but have no plans to move out. Like, you'd think in 21 years Robert Kraft would do something.

Because until like 18 months ago, it was a lie they'd been feeding their supporters since Day 1.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

CaptainYesterday posted:

That was like, last year? They pick a new site every few years. Prior to Boston it was Revere, or Somerville, or....I forget. Anyway the Revs aren't going to be leaving Gillette anytime soon. :smith:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I had heard tale of a push to move to Providence, which would actually be incredible?

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I had heard tale of a push to move to Providence, which would actually be incredible?

That would be pretty bad. They would be better off staying in Gillette.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

MechaFrogzilla posted:

The 2016 Seattle Sounders are both bad and not good. :smith:

It's been two games, and neither ones have been shellackings or getting completely outplayed. I think the players have hurt themselves with some bad choices leading to cards and injuries, as well as some bad luck. I think the group of players, though is sound. They are controlling the ball more than ping-ponging it around, and that's good. SKC and RSL are no slouches.

I mean part of me worries that I'll become the Baghdad Bob of the Sounders, but we'll see.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

foobardog posted:

It's been two games, and neither ones have been shellackings or getting completely outplayed. I think the players have hurt themselves with some bad choices leading to cards and injuries, as well as some bad luck. I think the group of players, though is sound. They are controlling the ball more than ping-ponging it around, and that's good. SKC and RSL are no slouches.

I mean part of me worries that I'll become the Baghdad Bob of the Sounders, but we'll see.

Seattle will lose to Vancouver and then play the red hot Impact and lose there too. 0-4 here we go

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Seattle will lose to Vancouver and then play the red hot Impact and lose there too. 0-4 here we go

So glad to see you sharing your special brand of love to new teams.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

foobardog posted:

Interesting you've become this optimistic after we lost our first 2 games, as you were saying before the season we'd miss the playoffs.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The San Jose Earthquakes are atop the table, hail satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The Sounders will be fine.

• Locked thread