Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Previously on RuPaul's Drag Race...

:smith:

"Herpes!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pukI7x-CBM

And in the end, the winner was...

Violet Chachki, Long may she reign.

Okay, let's spill some T. Last year was not good... at all. If I'm being honest, it was almost All-Stars bad. The challenges weren't that interesting and way too focused on acting, the cast didn't seem as invested, the normal manipulations that go with a show like this were on full display, and in the end the final three didn't feel worthy of the crown. Maybe that's because I love Katya with all my heart but Pearl? REALLY? I think they made the right choice in the end considering how badly Ginger came off during Untucked and how Violet rose to the challenge but the talent level didn't seem to be there last time.

Fortunately, the judges have all but said "WE'RE SO SORRY, WE PROMISE IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN!" and first reports are that Season 8 is going to be a return to form. I hope so. I know that it was going to be hard to follow up the brilliant Season 6 but that was a real letdown.

What is RuPaul's Drag Race? I've never watched it.

Well, let me say this:

RuPaul's Drag Race is a competitive reality show where Drag Queens compete in a series of challenges to prove that they have the Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve, and Talent to be crowned the Next Drag Superstar and win a lot of money. Episodes are pretty typical for the format: The girls complete in a mini-challenge that usually gives the winner(s) some kind of advantage, a main challenge which can be anything from building costumes to acting to putting straight men in drag, and finally a runway show. After speaking with the judges a winner is chosen who may or may not gain immunity for the following week. The queens deemed to be in the Bottom Two battle it out in the Lip Sync... For Your Life! :nyd:. The loser of the LSFYL goes home, leaving a trail of sequins and tears in her wake.

I know that it sounds fairly normal, but this show is a joy to watch. The important thing to keep in mind is that these girls are professional Drag Queens. They know how to speak, put on a show, throw shade, and give us the cutting one-liners in the confessionals that we expect. The assumption is that they are already well-equipped to handle a show like this. It's Season Eight god dammit (Subscribe!), they should know what to expect. (And yet, some of them STILL don't know how to sew.) It would be nice to win $100K (or more?) but the real benefit to being on the show is the exposure.

Simply making the cast of RPDR is a huge career opportunity. Michelle said it best, the moment that the show premieres the current cast is on a year-long ticking clock. Even if you are eliminated in Episode One you get tons of opportunities to promote yourself and perform for the masses. Drag Race is radically different than all of the other competitive entertainment reality shows because it's very easy to see your favorites perform live, they'll be at the local gay bar sometime in the next year. You don't have to worry about trying to get tickets to an over-priced concert, just pay a cover charge and enjoy. If you are prepared and savvy enough (see Willam, Bianca, Katya, the Haus of Edwards, Adore, etc.) the sky is the limit. These girls aren't 18-year-olds from a small town who think that Tyra is going to make them a supermodel or twinks with average vocal talent who are going to get chewed up and spit out by the industry, it takes real balls (in pantyhose) to be a Drag Queen so don't cry for them Argentina and enjoy. Even the queens that completely lose it on the show (Laganja) can shake it off and succeed.

We're likely to see the following:
- The Snatch Game, a take off of the classic TV show Match Game
- The Library, whereupon the queens read each other to filth (in a structured format, they do that in an unstructured format all the time)
- Singing challenges
- Group choreography
- Dress construction
- Acting challenges
- Makeup challenges
- Makeovers for non-drag queens
- Hot guys in underwear
- Etc.

RuPaul's Drag Race Untucked shows conversations between the Queens as they await the results of the judging. The show used to be aired directly after the main show but they moved it to YouTube the morning after and presented it in much more of a media res style. I think this was a brilliant move, even if it eventually cost Ginger Minj the crown.

On Spoilers

This show brings out the best and worst in its fans, and one side-effect of that is that spoilers for the show are out there. The internet is great at sniffing out clues, and the queens talk a little more than they should. Usually review copies are sent out on Mondays so that those people who write about the show have the time to prepare their articles and the leaks begin immediately. If you're not careful then you may learn more than you wish, including a lot of information related to the upcoming All-Stars 2.

The good thing is that for this show the journey is as or more important than the destination so it's not the end of the world. Personally, I'm a spoilerphobe so I'll be avoiding all Drag Race-related info on Mondays until I see the episode. If it bothers you, be careful. This goes double once they have revealed the Top 3 because that's when the shoot the Finale.

The Judges

RuPaul Charles

The leader of the merry bunch, we thank Ru year after year for coming up with the tasty weekly confection that is RuPaul's Drag Race. What else is there to say?

Okay, let's be real. The winner of the show is picked by Ru. The person who is kicked off each week is picked by Ru. This is Ru's baby. It exists to give glory to Ru and help sell her albums (now on iTunes). You thought it was bad to ignore Tim Gunn? DON'T IGNORE RU.

Michelle Visage

(That picture still is everything forever.)

Every once in a while I remember that Michelle wasn't an original judge on the show and I have to pause and collect my wits. The show started to take off once Michelle replaced Merle. Coincidence?

If Ru is the Mother, then Michelle is the stern Aunt. Michelle wants all of the queens to reach their potential, so she's willing to be harsh but it always comes from a place of live. She's been friends with RuPaul forever, co-hosted with Ru on her VH1 talk show, has been a more than welcome addition to the judging panel since the third season, and is the one who really goes on the road with the queens to help push the brand. She's fabulous.

Carson Kressley and Ross Mathews

They're back as rotating judges. Carson knows his fashion, Ross takes it very seriously, and they're miles better than Santiono.

The Pit Crew

(Sorry, last year's group wasn't that interesting so I'm keeping the old image.)

Eye candy, props, set movers... you call them and they'll show up in their skivvies.

Guest Judges

There are usually one or two guest judges each episode and the lineup is fantastic this year: Vivica A. Fox, Debbie Harry, Amy and David Sedaris, Marc Jacobs, and more!

Coming Up...

Did I mention that we should be getting All-Stars 2 later this year? :woop:

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Let's meet... our girls!

Know them, love them, we'll be watching them for the next few months.

Acid Betty - Brooklyn, NY

Bob the Drag Queen - NYC

Chi Chi Kat DeVayne - Shreveport, LA

Cynthia Lee Fontaine - Austin, TX

Dax ExclamationPoint - Savannah, GA

Derrick Barry - Las Vegas, NV

Shangela Nope. :colbert:

Kim Chi - Chicago, IL

Laila McQueen - Gloucester, MA

Naomi Smalls - Redlands, CA

Naysha Lopez - Chicago, MA

Robbie Turner - Seattle, WA

Thorgy Thor - Brooklyn, NY

And... SOMEONE ELSE?????

Naysha returns.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 23, 2016

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

As we approach the 100th episode and 100th queen let's look back in history:

Where Can I Watch Episodes Online?

Don't have Logo? You can watch the episodes on their website, LogoTV.com, and episodes go up the following day.

Want to watch previous seasons? If you have Amazon Prime you can stream Seasons 4-6 or purchase Seasons 2-8. If you are a Hulu subscriber you can watch Seasons 4-7. Other sites may have other offers, but those two offer streaming alternatives.

Queens You Should Know (aka “Vivienne Pinay has an album?”)

Remember when I mentioned Michele’s comment about the “ticking clock”? It’s true. If you make the show you are the new hotness for a year, and then the next group of queens arrive and you had better have made your mark. There’s nothing wrong with being a show queen for the rest of your life, and if you are talented you can make a good living, but there are those queens that are able to take the opportunity that Mama Ru provides and run with it.

One main outlet for a lot of Drag Race content is the YouTube channel for World of Wonder, the company the produces Drag Race. It’s a good place to start. However, there are certain queens that deserve special attention. I’m going to be leaving a lot of queens out but I’m focusing on those who are providing current content and/or the ones I like.

:siren:WARNING: ASSUME ALL VIDEOS BELOW ARE NSFW AUDIO AT A MINIMUM.:siren:

Willam Belli

https://twitter.com/willambelli/status/700435659748605952

What can I say about Willam? She was a hilarious addition to Season 5, and then got disqualified for some reason that we don’t know about… yet. The week she was kicked off the show she released a fantastic music video (“Chow Down (at Chick-fil-A)”) that was perfectly timed to capitalize on the scandal. Since then she’s been going non-stop producing content. She's probably the most consistent source of comedy on a weekly basis (the non-New Day division).

Willam’s works can be found at her YouTube Channel. Besides solo content, she produced videos with the impromptu DWV group (WIllam, former contestant Detox, and Vikki Vox) and once they split up she formed a loose alliance with Alaska and Courtney Act when they were all selected to be American Apparel Ad Girls. Christmas songs followed.

Besides the occasional solo and collaborative songs/videos, Willam has two main content lines:

- The Beatdown, wherein Willam watches bad YouTube videos and reads them to filth
- Paint Me, Bitch, wherein Willam’s makeup is applied by other talents. The one with Bianca Del Rio is a classic.

She also wrote a book, Suck Less: Where There's a Willam, There's a Way, which will be coming out in late 2016 AFTER THE DRAG RACE NDA EXPIRES. OMG I CANNOT WAIT TO READ THIS.

On top of this Willam has a video studio, runs a male stripper company, and performs around the world. No wonder she got a herniated disc.

Subscribe, goddamit, and you can support her Patreon if you like.

Bianca Del Rio

Bianca’s probably the one contestant on the show with the best chance of transitioning into the mainstream. She completely demolished the opposition, and that’s saying something when she was up against Adore Delano and Courtney at the end.

Bianca is an insult comic in the same vein as Don Rickles and Lisa Lampanelli. She’s not a queen you go to watch lip sync, you go to laugh and she can deliver like no one else. Since winning the show, she has done the following:

- Starred in a worldwide comedy tour with her show “The Rolodex of Hate”. A new show will be starting later this year and be touring the world again. I wasn’t kidding that she could really break through if she wanted it.
- Helped fund, produce, and starred in an upcoming movie “Hurricane Bianca” which shot last year and should be coming out soon. Joining her are Drag Race alumni Willam and Joslyn Fox, along with legitimate actors such as Alan Cumming and Rachel Dratch.

Enough said. She’s solid.

To come: Katya, the Haus of Edwards, and anyone else I can think of.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 16, 2016

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Great OP as usual :)

Man, this year's casting is SUCH a step up from last season. I can't decide on a favourite queen. I want at least 5 of them to win :ohdear:

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I am so loving excited for this next season. Awesome OP again! :dance:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Aphra Bane posted:

Great OP as usual :)

Man, this year's casting is SUCH a step up from last season. I can't decide on a favourite queen. I want at least 5 of them to win :ohdear:

Seriously. I mean I want Bob to win, but I want one of the others to go back and retroactively win last season.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
Awesome OP!

I have a question about some T I heard through the grapevine. Someone told me that the reason they changed the prize from a lifetime supply of cosmetics to a "sickening" supply was that Sharon Needles was taking an insane amount of Nyx and then selling the extra. Anyone else heard this?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
God I love Bob. She's done some old feast of funs and is adorable on there.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Illuen posted:

I have a question about some T I heard through the grapevine. Someone told me that the reason they changed the prize from a lifetime supply of cosmetics to a "sickening" supply was that Sharon Needles was taking an insane amount of Nyx and then selling the extra. Anyone else heard this?

I haven't heard this but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the winners had taken advantage of the situation.

Can't wait for the show to be back, I need me some new queens!

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Illuen posted:

Awesome OP!

I have heard this before but have yet to see receipts. I also heard a whole bunch of challenge rewards never made it to the queens... Reddit has all the T (but again, no real receipts that I've seen)

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Thanks for a fantastic new thread, OP! So excited for this season. Anyone else watching along with the previous season marathon running on Logo?

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Watching the courtroom scene from season six, and I forgot how sour Roxxy got because she didn't do well. Dear Lord, she was unbearable.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I'm excited! Even though last season was weird and uneven.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

CHiRAL posted:

I have heard this before but have yet to see receipts. I also heard a whole bunch of challenge rewards never made it to the queens... Reddit has all the T (but again, no real receipts that I've seen)

If that's true, that's one of the shittiest things this show has done. Give the winners their prizes, god drat it.

My favorites this season are: Bob the drag queen, Dax Exclamationpoint, Acid Betty, Thorgy Thor, and I have a weird soft spot for Robbie Turner.

Because choosing top 3 on knowing nothing more than the "Meet the Queens" videos is fun:

3. Naysha Lopez
2. Acid Betty
1. Bob the Drag Queen

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
I'm hoping the top three are Bob, Betty, and Thorgy.

Let the music play!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

My feelings on this season's crop of queens are so much more complex than just top 3 alone I can't take it.

:sparkles: CT's Certified Cool Cats Team With Awesome Fashion Sense: :sparkles:
Acid Betty
Dax!

:3: CT's Certified Cute Lovable Dorks Team Who Should Stay On As Long As Possible: :3:
Cynthia Lee Fontaine
Laila McQueen

:toot: CT's Certified All-Around-Awesome Sweeties Team Who Should Win It All Together: :toot:
Thorgy Thor
Kim Chi

But literally all of them are actually really cool yayyyyyyy it's back bitches! :sotw:

EDIT: And sheesh how could I forget Bob :psyduck: Of course she's kick-rear end but I don't want her to ruthlessly slay everyone I like them too much :ohdear: Let us have some suspense BTDQ :ohdear:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 6, 2016

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.
God, I love them all, I don't know if I can pick a favorite! If I had to narrow it down to 5, though, I'd say Kim Chi, Bob, Thorgy, Cynthia and Laila. But that's all based on pre-season stuff (except Kim Chi, who I've been following for a while), so who knows!

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Is there a way I can watch the first episode minus the lsfyl? I am at home sick and I am super boredosis

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Bina posted:

Is there a way I can watch the first episode minus the lsfyl? I am at home sick and I am super boredosis

The first 10 minutes are up on Logo.com :) The rest that's online is just shakeycam from when people were at the LA premier, though :saddowns:

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The first 10 minutes are up on Logo.com :) The rest that's online is just shakeycam from when people were at the LA premier, though :saddowns:

Nothing will load. Grr.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Apparently Shangela is going to be hosting a Vegas revue:

http://www.53xlv.com/

I wouldn't be surprised to see commercials start running tomorrow during the show.

e: If I could pick a weekend where Lisa Lampanelli was also performing I would be all "I want to go to there".

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Pinwiz11 posted:

Apparently Shangela is going to be hosting a Vegas revue:

http://www.53xlv.com/

I wouldn't be surprised to see commercials start running tomorrow during the show.

e: If I could pick a weekend where Lisa Lampanelli was also performing I would be all "I want to go to there".

That looks amazeballs. :swoon:

Edit: Okay, I just watched the preview, and I think i'm hooked on Acid.

Thorgy's dreds :stare:

Bina fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 7, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I know it was posted towards the end of the last thread but I just wanted to say Phi Phi O'Hara's Jubilee is real good https://www.instagram.com/p/BBxc62cH4fg/?taken-by=phiphiohara&hl=en

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Too soon.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I didn't even think about that. Let me look to find a replacement, we do need a good Pearl gif in there.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pinwiz11 posted:

I didn't even think about that. Let me look to find a replacement, we do need a good Pearl gif in there.

I was trying to be funny. Leave it up and let us remember the many aspects of "Big" Ang Raiola

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Mouse Dresser posted:

If that's true, that's one of the shittiest things this show has done. Give the winners their prizes, god drat it

Apparently Bebe never even got the prize money from Season 1 - if you watch the "Lost Season" or whatever with Ru's commentary he says as much - "Was it $25,000? I thought it was $20,000. Never got paid."

Anyway looking forward to this season, hopefully it'll be better than whatever last year was - no more goddamn acting challenges please. I kind of wish I hadn't spoiled the top 7 (and let's be honest, top 3) but every season is a blessing!

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Man, it seems like there was some backstage conflicts of interest that helped lead to the mess that was last season. The majority of queens were either look queens or camp queens, neither a genre which really lends itself to performing well in prefabricated scripted challenges. Given Jinkx and Bianca's (and, to a certain extent, Sharon's) talents, I could almost understand casting more heavily for runway queens to round out the recent winners if the season had been more focused in that vein. Closer to Season 3's focus.

But then we ended up with a season where on Episode 1, instead of putting the queen who wore a visible black bra for a nude illusion and the queen that thought a fabric tube qualified as resort wear in the bottom, we had a queen with major weight loss whose body suit was a bit baggy and another with what was, in the scheme of things, a relatively minor paint error up for elimination. I think that really sets the tone for a lot of missteps to come. We didn't even get a real ball challenge. Double snatch game winners for no good reason. Jaidynn getting read for one of the more interesting Death Becomes Her looks while Kennedy didn't even get critiqued that week, despite looking like a hot mess.

It did leave me with the utmost respect for Violet. She managed to get through that shitshow without lipsyncing for her life once. And I never felt like she skated by or didn't deserve it. Her competition might have been a bit fiercer along the way if the majority of the bottom 2 selections along the way didn't seem completely loving bonkers, though.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this season, though. It seems like some of the criticism for last season was heard. And there was some turnover in production...which hopefully led to a more cohesive competition this go-round.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Quinctia posted:

Jaidynn getting read for one of the more interesting Death Becomes Her looks while Kennedy didn't even get critiqued that week, despite looking like a hot mess.

I've said it before, I feel that Ru already knows who she wants to win each season, although she is of course open to changing that. For example, she planned on having Chad Michaels win season 4, until Sharon Needles broke out, and so to correct that, she gave her All Stars.

I think Kennedy got off so easy early in the season, and even won challenges where she should have been in the bottom, because Ru was trying to justify a Kennedy win. But by the end when it became apparent that Kennedy simply wasn't cutting it, she had find someone else.

And I really could do with never seeing anything regarding Jasmine Masters again, top five worst queen on the show ever.

But nobody really deserved a win last season. I'm looking forward to a return to form for this amazing show.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 7, 2016

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Nihonniboku posted:

I've said it before, I feel that Ru already knows who she wants to win each season, although she is of course open to changing that. For example, she planned on having Chad Michaels win season 4, until Sharon Needles broke out, and so to correct that, she gave her All Stars.

Actually, according to Willam, Sharon got preferential treatment from the get go. She got to shoot her entrance twice for example (I think her hat fell off the first time?) and when other girls asked to reshoot theirs they were turned down. (also they were all on season 4, and Roxxxie was on 5 how can you get this wrong are you not as obsessed as me)

Also kinda sorta related to Drag Race (but not really): Coco Peru is having a kickstarter for the pilot of her new TV show and there's a week left!
It's gonna be amazing! :allears:

CHiRAL fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 7, 2016

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Bob's either going to be Top 3 or take 5th, which let's be honest is really second place.

Also, I desperately need a web series of Cynthia Lee Fontaine and Tammie Brown talking about nothing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Right now smack in the middle of the crap heap of right wing paranoia fuel that is the DrudgeReport.

Everyone is gagging for that s08e01.

Everyone.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Where Can I Watch Episodes Online?

Don't have Logo? You can watch the episodes on their website, LogoTV.com, and episodes go up the following day.

Aaaaactually, Logo just recently changed how the episode viewing works. It's not available unless you have a cable subscription with Logo on it. Which I can't do at all, because my cable provider doesn't even carry Logo at the highest tier of service. I'm stuck having to :filez: this season now because there's no way for me to legally see any new episodes.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Boy were a good deal of those interviews boring as hell. Bob sure is something though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fingers crossed this season's viewing parties with my friends are filled with tongue pops, opening fans and ocurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs instead of staring blankly at the television and asking why this is happening like last season.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Boy were a good deal of those interviews boring as hell. Bob sure is something though.

The MTQs freaking suck, I think everyone's just stressed and nervous because they do all the official publicity stuff at the same time back to back. I liked these brief queerty interviews (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) and the various red carpet video interviews floating around youtube a lot better.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Bob's either going to be Top 3 or take 5th, which let's be honest is really second place.

Also, I desperately need a web series of Cynthia Lee Fontaine and Tammie Brown talking about nothing.

#TeamMamiBrown

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Amazing OP.

I just wanted to point out that I was able to watch older seasons on international Netflix before they banned VPN services. So, if you're outside of the US and have Netflix, you might be in luck!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

shadow puppet of a posted:

Right now smack in the middle of the crap heap of right wing paranoia fuel that is the DrudgeReport.

Everyone is gagging for that s08e01.

Everyone.

Well, the gay man that runs the site would be a fan like the rest of us...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

So hype for this, mainly because the team behind the show must be super pumped to not repeat last year's shitshow.

• Locked thread