Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I couldn't live without Lana's dunk combos, she's so bad at clearing rooms otherwise with the book. Really the book is her worst weapon.

Once you upgrade it, her C4 is my room-clearing bread and butter. BBBYYY shoves everyone into a corner to beat on together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cia isn't a time lord, she's something much more dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLhLn9hVkE

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bruceski posted:

Once you upgrade it, her C4 is my room-clearing bread and butter. BBBYYY shoves everyone into a corner to beat on together.

Much prefer BBBYY > dodge cancel > Y, pushing the blocks does so much less damage than exploding them.

If you're quick enough you can do the block push AND dodge out of it and catch it with a dunk while it's moving, but it's hard to do consistently.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Appraising, directly selling weapons and the ability to remove skills weren't available initially: the only way to sell weapons before the 1.5 update was if you hit the weapon cap and the other 2 options didn't exist at all.

The maximum number of allowed skills hasn't been increased since the game was released and has always been dependent on the weapon tiers: tier 1 weapons can only have 3 skills, tier 2 weapons can have 6 and tier 3 weapons can have the maximum possible 8.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Your impact in the fights are missing a lot of oomph without hearing random generals praise you for being so awesome.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I am disappointed in your assessment of Sheik. Sheik is my absolute favorite character in this game and she is my highest level one, too. Sheik owns and is awesome. The only maps I had trouble with in Adventure mode were ones where I couldn't use Sheik.

Also my That Boss doesn't show up until later. Manhandla is no treat either, though. For sure.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Silver Falcon posted:

I am disappointed in your assessment of Sheik. Sheik is my absolute favorite character in this game and she is my highest level one, too. Sheik owns and is awesome. The only maps I had trouble with in Adventure mode were ones where I couldn't use Sheik.

Also my That Boss doesn't show up until later. Manhandla is no treat either, though. For sure.

Honestly, I don't think she's that bad! Her gimmick isn't exactly intuitive though, so I understand why some don't like her.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Carlioo posted:

Honestly, I don't think she's that bad! Her gimmick isn't exactly intuitive though, so I understand why some don't like her.

Serenade of Water is a godsend for maps where you're ranked on damage taken, and Bolero of Fire hits like a goddamn truck if you can maneuver the enemies into it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Playing Legends, in which I don't have the top-level combo badges yet, I've had to gain a new appreciation for the early combos. I used to spam Sheik's last combo attack to clear keeps, but the Nocturne of Shadow is surprisingly effective.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nidoking posted:

Playing Legends, in which I don't have the top-level combo badges yet, I've had to gain a new appreciation for the early combos. I used to spam Sheik's last combo attack to clear keeps, but the Nocturne of Shadow is surprisingly effective.

Bolero of Fire (both the combo leading to it, and the standalone meteor) are pretty solid too.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
One thing I'm not sure anyone has really mentioned is I was noticing you were actively picking up weapon and material bags. Let me make your life simple by saying this: You don't have too! The game will automatically scoop up any bag still on the field at the end of a completed battle. I have tested this by not picking up weapon bags and still getting 3-4 weapons in the result screen. Test it yourself if you doubt me, but it will save you time and hassle from running around and trying to pick the bag up when you're in a hurry.

Nidoking posted:

I too have come to realize just how good/useful some of the lower tier combos are, also realizing how dependent I was on the higher ones for certain things. It's been a bit of a trip using them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ben Kasack posted:

One thing I'm not sure anyone has really mentioned is I was noticing you were actively picking up weapon and material bags. Let me make your life simple by saying this: You don't have too! The game will automatically scoop up any bag still on the field at the end of a completed battle. I have tested this by not picking up weapon bags and still getting 3-4 weapons in the result screen. Test it yourself if you doubt me, but it will save you time and hassle from running around and trying to pick the bag up when you're in a hurry.

I seem to remember the thread determining that there was an upper limit to what the game would automatically award you. I always treat the auto-pickup at the end as a bonus and not rely on it to get everything.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 5: Link's Amazing Flying Horses

This game was not made for horse combat.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Well, the Loftwings are based on saddle-bill storks! :haw:

Er wait, no, that's a shoebill. My mistake. Not as funny.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Epona was a part of the Master Quest DLC pack.

You can either get the carrots back by waiting them to recover one by one, or stop moving after a combo finisher, which causes Link to throw her a carrot that restores all of them.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

AnotherGamer posted:

You can either get the carrots back by waiting them to recover one by one, or stop moving after a combo finisher, which causes Link to throw her a carrot that restores all of them.

Bah, forgot to mention that. Probably because it meshes with my regular play-style (relying on the dodge button to sprint)

Silver Falcon posted:

Well, the Loftwings are based on saddle-bill storks! :haw:

Er wait, no, that's a shoebill. My mistake. Not as funny.

Maybe the loftwings are actually horseshoebills! :downsrim:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 6: Dancing Swords

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There are a couple of battles that end with cutscenes the moment you beat the boss. In those cases, the boss still drops either a material or a weapon, and as usual, you auto-collect it when the mission ends.

To me, the worst thing about The Imprisoned is that you can only do half of its weak point damage in one iteration - whenever it hits halfway, even if it's seconds after it fell down, it'll recover immediately. It almost always does its belly-sliding charge after that, which takes a long time and hits pretty hard, and then you have to wait for its toes to regrow before you can attack it again. If it wants to be a real jerk, it can eat up a lot of time when you're going for an A-rank, and you need to keep a lot of SP to take it down quickly. There was one mission where I actually let it hit me just so I could drink potions to recover my SP, because I could afford the damage but was running out of time. It's the only time "take damage to save time" has worked for me. Fortunately, in Legend mode, the Groosenator does so much damage that you don't even need to chase The Imprisoned down - you can just let it arrive at each keep and shoot it down, then hit its weak point and kill it that way.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, i'm really glad Legends fixed the imprisoned a bit, making it so it no longer gets up half way thru its WPG was a great improvement.

Too bad Fi still sucks against him :(

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Yah I greatly enjoyed Sky Ward sword as well and even I got tired of the imprisoned fights.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Pixeltendo posted:

Too bad Fi still sucks against him :(

I remember her final combo being pretty effective even if you run out of SP, and the fact that she moves while attacking makes it a lot easier to start the combo at a safe distance, move in while you do the first five attacks, then unleash the destruction at close range. The Imprisoned is one of the contexts where it's not a waste to attack the air with your normal attacks and just hit with the final combo attack, at least with many of the characters. One character in particular is best used that way all the time, in my opinion.

Granted, I haven't gotten that far in Legends yet - I've done the other two storylines and I'm exploring as much of Adventure mode as I can before moving on, for no particular reason other than the reduced space to explore helps keep me a bit more focused, as opposed to waiting until the entire map is open and trying to cover the whole thing at once.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
There can be no mercy, no forgiveness for the traitor. :arghfist::commissar:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Fi is god awful for so many reasons, the least of which being that her weakpoint smash is broken and the enemies will constantly fall out of it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Question re: part 5- what does the game say/do if you do grind away at and beat LuVolga?

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Question re: part 5- what does the game say/do if you do grind away at and beat LuVolga?

If I remember right, Volga just revives at full health thanks to his fiery aura, so it's pretty pointless.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
The boss cutscene glitch you're hinting towards doesn't exist anymore, it was patched out at one point.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Having the Groosinator here, and not the man himself, is just a cruel joke. :(

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Having the Groosinator here, and not the man himself, is just a cruel joke. :(

I really hope he shows up as DLC at some point, but maybe that isn't going to happen at this point. He'd need to have his theme with him as well anyway and I doubt that would be included :smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Carlioo posted:

I really hope he shows up as DLC at some point, but maybe that isn't going to happen at this point. He'd need to have his theme with him as well anyway and I doubt that would be included :smith:

If he does show up it's gonna be against the theme of currently planned DLC. We're getting Marin from the Link's Awakening pack, an unnamed one from the Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass, and two unnamed characters from the Link Between Worlds pack.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Why Marin and Agatha but not Groose and Vaati?
Or four swords link (complete with four links)
Or the three oracles
Captain Linebeck
The kickass snowboarding yeti?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 13, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Why Marin Fi and Agatha but not Groose and Vaati?
Or the three oracles
Captain Linebeck
The old guy who taught you how to use a sword in Wind Waker
Medli
The kickass snowboarding yeti
The armored skeleton that taught you all your moves in Twilight Princess?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Or the three oracles
Captain Linebeck

Linebeck may happen if he's the possible Legends DLC Character for the phantom hourglass/spirit track pack.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

And Medli is free DLC for both systems when the Wind Waker Master Quest DLC comes out.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Marin's also coming, to be clear.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Carlioo posted:

If I remember right, Volga just revives at full health thanks to his fiery aura, so it's pretty pointless.

Yep. It's one of the times in the game where he'll just revive endlessly until you do the thing you're supposed to do.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 7: The Spear to Pierce Twilight

More like lightly tapping the twilight on its head, but I digress.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Or the three oracles
Captain Linebeck

Isn't Toon Link getting a new weapon? It could be the Four Sword.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Great Deku Tree: Yes... Good. Soon with the aid of Lana my saplings shall cover the whole world.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Ganondorf Did Nothing Wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Or the three oracles
Captain Linebeck

And why can't all the new characters just be DLC without requiring to buy basically the same game twice but on a system that's got a smaller capacity and visual style.
I think toon link with a four sword would be cool though.

Oracles and Vaati MIGHT be Capcom shenanigans since their games were all made by them which is also why they're near impossible to fit into the canon timeline even with their official placements cause they're just so removed from poo poo and the other established points of the metastory.
Marin and Agatha are because "god drat it Japan" same reason Tingle even still exists.

• Locked thread