Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TCat posted:

And why can't all the new characters just be DLC without requiring to buy basically the same game twice but on a system that's got a smaller capacity and visual style.

They are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

jivjov posted:

They are.

I don't think you can get Medli and Marin and all that on Wii U? Legends base mode characters are DLC for Wii U, but Legends DLC characters are Legends only.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Yeah, the only one that requires you to have Legends is Linkle. Considering you can get the DLC for both versions, I'm going to assume none of the upcoming characters are going to be 3DS exclusives.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I don't think you can get Medli and Marin and all that on Wii U? Legends base mode characters are DLC for Wii U, but Legends DLC characters are Legends only.

Medli is free DLC on both systems when the Wind Waker Master Quest map comes out for Legends. The other DLC characters will be paid DLC on WiiU when their respective map packs come out for Legends. This is what the "3DS + WiiU" season pass buys for 5 bucks more than the 3DS season pass, they don't offer them for individual WiiU purchase yet (not like the folks who bought the season pass can use them yet or anything) but they will.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 19, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carlioo posted:

Yeah, the only one that requires you to have Legends is Linkle. Considering you can get the DLC for both versions, I'm going to assume none of the upcoming characters are going to be 3DS exclusives.

Linkle is part of the Legends character pack. Currently exclusive to buying Legends, but will be available separately later.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bruceski posted:

Medli is free DLC on both systems when the Wind Waker Master Quest map comes out for Legends. The other DLC characters will be paid DLC on WiiU when their respective map packs come out for Legends. This is what the "3DS + WiiU" season pass buys for 5 bucks more than the 3DS season pass, they don't offer them for individual WiiU purchase yet (not like the folks who bought the season pass can use them yet or anything) but they will.

Huh. It's a shame you can't just outright upgrade the Wii U version into Legends, then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Huh. It's a shame you can't just outright upgrade the Wii U version into Legends, then.

That would require a complete retool of every adventure map, make the Wii U season pass a required purchase, and reset all the level cap increases

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

jivjov posted:

That would require a complete retool of every adventure map, make the Wii U season pass a required purchase, and reset all the level cap increases

Yes. Yes it would.

But I can dream about a glorious world in which I can have Owl Statues, Character Swapping AND a functional version of Lana's 3rd weapon.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Oh snap - I was just wondering if we'd ever get an LP of this. And I've been hoping for ages that someone would tackle a Dynasty Warriors LP at some point.

What I'm saying is, I'll be following this with interest. :)

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 8: Moon Droppers

Come for the moon, stay for the Zant. Also the video is still processing, so if you're having some issues, just wait a few minutes (hopefully).

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 24, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The trick to fighting Zant efficiently is to lure him into prolonging his combo attacks. If you step too far out of range of the attack he's doing, he'll stop it and move on to something else, but if he thinks he has a chance of hitting you, he'll keep doing the attack until he gets dizzy. I don't think any of the combos he uses as an enemy are capable of breaking your guard, or at least, I've never seen it happen.

The command system in Legends can really make your battles go faster if you get the hang of it. The ideal way, I've found, is to tell the character you're not controlling to move to the next objective while you're doing something, then switch to that character and tell the one you were controlling to go to the next place. Having the AI handle the movement through boring territory while you do the fighting cuts out a lot of idle time and usually makes it much easier to hit A-rank times. I just wish there were a way to cancel the command when you're done, or if there is, that I knew how to do it. I keep forgetting to change the commands, and I'll put a character somewhere and switch away only to have them abandon the obvious nearby objective and go back to wherever they were before.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The ratio of anime grrl characters to non-anime grrl characters is becoming dangerously skewed.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Klaus88 posted:

The ratio of anime grrl characters to non-anime grrl characters is becoming dangerously skewed.

That "ratio" has been sitting at infinity since the very first video now. Not sure what you're talking about.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Midna gets so much better once you expand her combo trees, because her level 5(I think?) heavy attack automatically grabs a target and does her darkness install, unlike the one that grabs someone and does the tornado. So you can keep up her darkness damage constantly.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Midna gets so much better once you expand her combo trees, because her level 5(I think?) heavy attack automatically grabs a target and does her darkness install, unlike the one that grabs someone and does the tornado. So you can keep up her darkness damage constantly.

Yep! Of course, I needed Redead Bandages for that, which you get from Redead knights, which I fought for the first time in this video, because I wanna do story mode first and :argh:

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Midna's wolf throw combo is also a great option against named characters since they rarely seem to block it, it has decent range and seems to hit multiple times and do a lot of damage.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 9: Rock On, Goron

Hyrulean oppression of gorons continue in this video.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gorons are annoying to fight, but they're hilarious to have on your team.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think the best change in Hyrule Warriors Legends is that you can target Beamos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This map was infuriating to watch people play when the game recently came out because no one can read words that spell out your current objective and would just run back and forth all over the first few fortresses and end up failing the mission because they're too concerned about their base's health.

A problem that is solved by picking either left or right and going up it till you can capture the boulder keeps.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Since I won't at home during the weekend, have an update now instead!

Part 10: Water Temple 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Let's party like it's 1998.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
This game's Water Temple still manages to be somewhat annoying, mostly because of those narrow corridors that I have trouble following and take a wrong turn on because I'm an idiot.

edit: Aaaand the second I mention this, you end up mentioning it in the video yourself.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Magical girl Pretty Zelda!~

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I feel like a heel, because I never got more than 96 or 98 kills myself with a special until I played one of the DLC modes, where I got 100 kills with a special and 500 kills with magic in my first mission. It's almost impossible not to. It felt like cheating, but I've never managed any other way.

One thing Sheik's water barrier is good for, which I don't remember you mentioning in the video, is that it completely nullifies the Gibdo/Redead Knights' freeze attacks. It's also handy in most missions where you're trying to get through with really low damage, because any hits absorbed by the barrier don't count against you.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I feel like everyone swears profusely when it comes to zelda water temples, but OOT was especially prone to drawing forth curses and oaths.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

I feel like everyone swears profusely when it comes to zelda water temples, but OOT was especially prone to drawing forth curses and oaths. its got nothing on Mario Party controller stick twirling.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

But that's almost cheating, few things will ever be as horrible as twirling the stick.

Nidoking posted:

One thing Sheik's water barrier is good for, which I don't remember you mentioning in the video, is that it completely nullifies the Gibdo/Redead Knights' freeze attacks. It's also handy in most missions where you're trying to get through with really low damage, because any hits absorbed by the barrier don't count against you.

I'd imagine the barrier would be good for getting the "defeat 1500 enemies and don't take more than 4 hearts of damage"-skulltulas in Adventure Mode, but I realised that I haven't actually tried that out yet.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Carlioo posted:

I'd imagine the barrier would be good for getting the "defeat 1500 enemies and don't take more than 4 hearts of damage"-skulltulas in Adventure Mode, but I realised that I haven't actually tried that out yet.

I have and it is very true.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Carlioo posted:

It's the second best method I know of for getting those.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Carlioo posted:

One of the things I've done adventure mode maps is go in with Sheik and put up the barrier and NEVER LET IT DROP to get both the 1200/1500 KO and less than 4 hearts of damage skulltulas and A ranks.

Is it cheating? No. The skill is in the game, free for you to use, and it is very easy to activate.

Is it cheap? Absolutely and I have no shame in using it or admitting it. Some missions are just stupid hard (or at least feel like it) and it's been the only way for me to actually get things done.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Well, I feel vindicated. Usually I can watch your videos and pick up some tips on how to use characters/weapons effectively. Sheik though? Nope. You play her EXACTLY the same way I do. :D

I love the scene where Zelda reveals herself. I spent the whole game up to that point wondering when either the other characters would figure it out or Zelda would out herself. And she did it in spectacular fashion. It's great. This game is great.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Well, I feel vindicated. Usually I can watch your videos and pick up some tips on how to use characters/weapons effectively. Sheik though? Nope. You play her EXACTLY the same way I do. :D

It really is the best way to play her, I just wished I realised that before doing the LP. I always thought her fire attack was too slow to work properly, didn't realise it did stupidly huge damage :v:

Silver Falcon posted:

I love the scene where Zelda reveals herself. I spent the whole game up to that point wondering when either the other characters would figure it out or Zelda would out herself. And she did it in spectacular fashion. It's great. This game is great.

cokerpilot posted:

Magical girl Pretty Zelda!~

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
Magical girl twirling aside, the Sheik -> Zelda reveal juxtaposed with a humiliated Wizzro and an out-of-the-loop Impa conjures memories of a slightly more heated secret identity reveal.

"EVEN MY ENTIRE ARMY BOUGHT IT"

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Andy Waltfeld posted:

Magical girl twirling aside, the Sheik -> Zelda reveal juxtaposed with a humiliated Wizzro and an out-of-the-loop Impa conjures memories of a slightly more heated secret identity reveal.

"EVEN MY ENTIRE ARMY BOUGHT IT"

WIZZRO MADE ME FOOL YOU IMPA! BECAUSE WIZZRO - I HAD TO TEACH YOU A LESSON THAT THERE IS NO LIGHT THAT I WON'T HIDE!

The funny thing is that this is probably a better reason than the one Zelda actually gives us :v:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 11: Temple Joyride

It's a shame that they apparently removed the easy way to perform the Zant Glitch and the other way seems to be somewhat random, otherwise I could say that this isn't even the most we can spin in this game :smith:

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
... I am actually feeling legitimately sorry for Lanna here.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The spinner is amazing, that is all.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Speaking of being a completionist, I'm a crazy person who spent time getting all the things in adventure mode (only the original map that came with the game mind) followed by unlocking the master swords full power. It proved useful for dealing with those level 100 network Link battles. But yeah, it took quite a while, but hey, I got to more or less kit everyone out with totally awesome stuff!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Just popped in to say thanks for the LP, it looks to be an interesting game.

Also somewhat relevant: http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/git-it-gurl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The music in this level is my favorite in the game. I love it. Is it a remix of anything, or an original composition?

• Locked thread