Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Nidoking posted:

You might want to sit down for this, but...

Some people don't obsess over A ranks and just want to complete difficult missions.

Haha, that's adorable. Playing games for fun.

Me and my friend have obsessed over goldranks and have had similar complaints. More hearts are only tactically useful in the few adventure map stages that do not grade you on damage, or on legend mode, specifically hero difficulty (Ganon and some commanders can just melt away hearts).

In fact, having more hearts can occasionally be actively detrimental, such as in attacks are devastating maps. A fresh character only has 10 hearts (?), so you can actually get hit once and NOT fail an A rank condition on a map that allows 10,000 damage. This is, admittedly, pretty marginal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nidoking posted:

Some people don't obsess over A ranks and just want to complete difficult missions.

The only difficult part of missions in this game is getting an A rank on them, though? Unless your dodge button is broken or something I guess.

Outside of "Don't Get Hit" or "All Attacks Are Devestating" stages I can't honestly think of a time I've ever heard the low health bleep.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The only difficult part of missions in this game is getting an A rank on them, though? Unless your dodge button is broken or something I guess.

Outside of "Don't Get Hit" or "All Attacks Are Devestating" stages I can't honestly think of a time I've ever heard the low health bleep.

Manhandla and its seed attack on harder levels is pretty devastating if you get caught by it. There's also the knockback nullifing badges that make me forget that I've taken damage until I hear the bleeping :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I may have said this before but IMO Hyrule Warriors Impa is probably both my favorite Impa and singularly the best female character design that Koei's ever done.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Nidoking posted:

It'd be far easier NOT to obsess over them if you could still get the mission reward with a lower rank, meaning that if you didn't beat the mission with an A rank, you don't get the reward and thus you wasted your time.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I may have said this before but IMO Hyrule Warriors Impa is probably both my favorite Impa and singularly the best female character design that Koei's ever done.

You can't really go wrong with female+Zhou Tai+Guan Yu, with a little extra ninja-y pizazz.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
The way to get materials from both enemies in quiz/trial missions isn't killing them at the same time, you just need to have both of them in camera view when you kill the right enemy.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AnotherGamer posted:

It'd be far easier NOT to obsess over them if you could still get the mission reward with a lower rank, meaning that if you didn't beat the mission with an A rank, you don't get the reward and thus you wasted your time.

Well then they might as well remove ranks entirely, and then the game would become even more of a massive grindfest unless they upped the general difficulty to provide a realistic chance of dying.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

AnotherGamer posted:

You still get the materials, the experience, the money, and any item card rewards regardless of your rank, but if you die, you only get to keep the experience.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Some of the missions in the later DLC maps are really tough. I've had trouble with a lot of the missions where you have to fight a lot of characters at once.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 15: Scary Wizards and Strong Warriors

do not pursue volga

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

You can go after Zant first in the Twilight Princess mission. When you take over the first keep, the doors open and Midna gets a morale boost. When you then defeat Zant, he temporarily retreats and Midna gets another morale boost. You then have to play the rest of the story normally. There is no advantage to doing this that I can see, and Wizzro will tell you every step of the way that you're supposed to go after Midna instead. It's basically a harder difficulty aside from the difficulty settings.

Both Volga's and Wizzro's strong attacks seem pretty disproportionately strong - I like Volga's in particular for attacking weak points. Two uses will break just about anything. I don't think Wizzro's can be blocked.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

You guys are weird. Wizzro is a ton of fun to play! He can go all Touhou Bullet Hell on things! What's not to like about that?

Also I rarely use Volga's "turn into a goddamn dragon" combo due to how slow it is. Also I always seem to accidentally use it when I'm trying to get a giant boss' weakpoint gauge down as fast as possible. Dragon form doesn't work too well for that. Clearly I need to try it more often, goddamn.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 3: Warriors with Burning Hearts

I was talking about this map in the video by the way. Kinda wish it didn't automatically play music whenever I open it though, think I've heard enough of the 8-bit theme for a while.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 16: Cia's Final Gambit

Video is still processing, so wait a few minutes if you want to view the video in its full form!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Unlike Lu Bu Volga at least has some sense of loyalty even though Cia has clearly lost her mind and he is openly ignoring her orders he stays with her till the end. That being said was he supposed to have died in the last mission we saw him in or simply defeated?

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

cokerpilot posted:

Unlike Lu Bu Volga at least has some sense of loyalty even though Cia has clearly lost her mind and he is openly ignoring her orders he stays with her till the end. That being said was he supposed to have died in the last mission we saw him in or simply defeated?

He doesn't show up in the extended story mode on the 3ds, so I guess he died at the hands of Link and crew.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I figured he just went back home to Eldin Caverns, since he no longer had any reason to fight anyone.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Nidoking posted:

I figured he just went back home to Eldin Caverns, since he no longer had any reason to fight anyone.

To be fair, the last thing he says before disappearing is that he loses without regrets, so I guess he did just leave. On the other hand, nobody dies in these guys, we just knock them out, so take that as you will I guess?

Adventure Mode 4: Trip Through Twilight Woods

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 22, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There is at least one Adventure mode mission where you have to fight two full-sized The Imprisoned. Ghirahim is your ally. I think that's the one where I found myself running out of time to beat the second one and took a couple of hits so I could drink potions to restore my SP.

There's also a Defeat 1000 enemies mission where the boss that appears is The Imprisoned, at least in the Wii U version. The same mission uses Gohma in Legends.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's my understanding that the reason why the entire world is mirrored in Twilight Princess Wii is that they just flipped the rendering engine across the Y axis rather than test all of their animations and cutscene rigging with both left and right handed link.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Nidoking posted:

There is at least one Adventure mode mission where you have to fight two full-sized The Imprisoned. Ghirahim is your ally. I think that's the one where I found myself running out of time to beat the second one and took a couple of hits so I could drink potions to restore my SP.

Sheik is your best friend against The Imprisoned. Her special will hit every toe and break them all.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Senerio posted:

Sheik is your best friend against The Imprisoned. Her special will hit every toe and break them all.

There are few if any specials that won't destroy all of the toes if you use them in the right spot. And in the mission where I had to use the potions, I needed to use Fi.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I thought you could avoid the lightning strike by hiding under the imprisoned's taint? Granted, that doesn't help you at all when there are mini imprisoneds vomiting dark lasers at you, but it's a good thing to know if it's true.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I just keep an eye on The Imprisoned and dodge at the appropriate time. It's not hard to tell when the lightning is about to strike.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 17: Return of the King

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Ganondorf is going to make Hyrule great again.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Time to post this:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 5: Great Balls of Lightning

The postman always swings his balls twice.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Since you mentioned it in the latest video, I feel obligated to link the Fiesta for any who are interested. Traditionally the event will go until the end of August, so participants have plenty of time to complete their runs (or work on multiple runs). And if you're inexperienced at the game, the thread regulars are happy to provide advice.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Time to post this:

:colbert:

Zark the Damned posted:

Just popped in to say thanks for the LP, it looks to be an interesting game.

Also somewhat relevant: http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/git-it-gurl

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
In addition to enemies, grass, pots and bomb flowers, you can also pick up the giant boulders that you generally destroy with bombs to reveal chests: their regular attack is probably the strongest in the game, but considering how rare they are and because carrying one slows you down to a crawl, good luck actually finding any when you're fighting something where they'd be useful.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 18: Exercise in Power

I won't be able to update this LP for a week and a half since I'll be away from any internet signal. So... cliffhanger I guess? Also, just realised that I forgot to add arrows pointing out where the hard mode Skulltulas are, but I don't have the time to fix it right now sadly!

Carlioo fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 21, 2016

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
The Trident is a cool weapon in basic concept, but it's somewhat lacking in other areas: it's much harder to break giant boss weakpoints in a single go than it is with his Great Swords and the damage values are generally disappointing.

That, plus I personally think that it's got a bit too much in the way of recycled moves: most of its combo finishers, WPSes and special moves are some variant of a jumping stab or a lightning strike.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Phantom Ganon also had a three-pronged polearm...thing. Not exactly a trident, though.

Interesting that even though it's more of a classic 2D Ganon weapon, the trident here has a small visual callback to Ganondorf's OoT design with the red and blue pattern.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 6, 2016

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Adventure Mode 6: They Call Her The Seeker

Sorry about the video quality, my recording device can sometimes be an rear end in a top hat and I should really switch it to something else at some point. On the other hand, best character! :toot:

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

Part 19: Desert Survival

How does taking over an oasis mean we don't lose any health in that specific part of the desert anyway? Supply lines that are too lazy to go over to another part of the desert?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Lana's health acts as a sort of timer for the later part of the mission, and if you don't capture the northern oasis early on, it can become a problem. Being grossly overpowered is another way to deal with that problem simply, though.

Zant is still easy enough to deal with, aside from being overpowered, by blocking his attacks or standing just out of his reach so he keeps attacking until he gets dizzy. Once you know that, he's one of the most reliable characters to expose his weak point because he has almost no attacks that don't expose it - just the focus finisher, which never exposes a weak point for anyone.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Whats with the lone Coco hanging out in the middle of the desert?

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

cokerpilot posted:

Whats with the lone Coco hanging out in the middle of the desert?

It's clearly looking for cucco treasure, or the devs thought it would be hilarious if the player accidentally triggered the cucco swarm in a stage where you normally already are pressured from the enemy army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Eldin region in Skyward Sword was Eldin Volcano. The mole people live there.

• Locked thread