Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And when she dies, she makes a sound like a dying goblin or slime or something. And nothing changes beyond that. Erika still dies in a cutscene, Rentar still projects her shade to yell at Prazac, etc. The game doesn't know or care that you killed her.

Pretty much. Rentar-Ihrno is as unkillable as the game can possibly make her, which is saying something. You might be able to pull off the Mind Duel trick from E2, but her Skill is pretty damned high, and even two Rings of Will might not be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Major spoiler for Avernum 4
Rentar-Irhno 'survives' her death, becoming a Crystal Soul. Who then wreaks vengeance on Avernum for killing her.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Amazing read. I've played this game on and off for over a decade, and I honestly never gave much thought to the story. There's monsters and I have to kill them and figure out whodunnit? Sure, let's make an all mage team and fireball our way to victory. Too easy? Let's do a one player run, and put every point into luck until it caps (Hilarious, by the way, but takes foreeeeeeeeeever. I can still hear the coughing). At some point, I'd always lose interest and pick it up again to try some crazy team composition. I liked to explore, and I loved that the game had hidden passages that were actually hidden. I loved the varied and sometimes completely broken spells. I loved everything about the game, except actually having to progress the plot.

Being able to step back a bit and see that there was a real story going on through all the goofy parts makes me appreciate the game so much more. Art could've been another nameless faceless warrior priest build to help fill out the party, but through 3 games she not only told her own story, but the story of Exile that I had somehow missed all this time. Thank you for that.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Congratulations on finishing this, berryjon: this trilogy was a pleasure to read.
You said you were burned out (and who can blame you) and forgot to write about what happened to the party and some of the other important individuals after the end, but is there a chance you might write something before the thread is closed or just have give a quick summary? :shobon:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Huh, never noticed that Krizan was named after one of the folks involved in making the game before.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

Huh, never noticed that Krizan was named after one of the folks involved in making the game before.

I think Krizsan is his wife, actually. And yeah, he pulled names from wherever he could; there were a ton of places and characters to name in this game, and almost none of them could be re-used from the first two games.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

radintorov posted:

Congratulations on finishing this, berryjon: this trilogy was a pleasure to read.
You said you were burned out (and who can blame you) and forgot to write about what happened to the party and some of the other important individuals after the end, but is there a chance you might write something before the thread is closed or just have give a quick summary? :shobon:

Every time I try, things fail me.

Sass and Aaarth-Tss have a smug off at knowing Art personally and no one else.

Bronwyn does her own thing, out of the lime light.

Delilah donates to worthy causes, using money that has absolutely nothing to do with thefts from the Anama Church, how dare you!

Ni'aurrl helps incorporate her people into the Surface World, using their existing settlement in Exile's land on the surface as a starting point.

Matthias has his name written on a wall, one headed with the inscription "For those who Fall, will Rise once more".

Art enjoys her retirement.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

berryjon posted:

Art enjoys her retirement.
This would have been way more believable if you had said she goes to a farm where she gets to play outside and stab gremlins all the time.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Parts Kit posted:

This would have been way more believable if you had said she goes to a farm where she gets to play outside and stab gremlins all the time.

It's near Formello, and her two friends, Chester and Marianna swear up and down that she's just gone to town for the day, and if you come back later you might catch her. ;)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

berryjon posted:

Matthias has his name written on a wall, one headed with the inscription "For those who Fall, will Rise once more".

And the swank hat remains, e'er more.

:v:

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Thanks so much for putting in all the effort - I love your writing, and I loved Art. Still hurts that one of the originals was actually a spy for Empire and was killed. I loved Karnass and how he became the effective next in line ruler for Exile, too.

Really, I love how you've portrayed all the characters the threads gave you. I was thrilled with Ni'aurl; she was exactly what I was hoping for.

You mentioned at the beginning when we were voting on characters that you would reserve one spot for a character of your choice. For Exile 2, that was Arth-Ssss. Who was the character you had picked out, and why? What aspect made them a good foil/character for Art and Exile 3?

Do the other Vahnatai always hate the Exiles/humans in the later games? Do they ever overcome their extreme xenophobia?

Thank you!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I didn't pick anyone this time, leaving the whole party up to the auspices of the thread.

I picked Ember in the first thread because she was the only dedicated Mage, and Peregrine IV was split between the two sides. You guys voted for him anyway. ;) Aarth-Tss was for the character interactions, pure and simple. And I enjoyed the conversation during Act 3 that I wrote.

As for the Vahnatai .... Buy the games and play for yourself! Support Jeff Vogel! ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

And as of today, Exile 3 has hit the Archives.

Thank you all for your participation and encouragement. I will now be locking the thread.

I have another LP in the works, something far, far different from a SSLP. So I hope to see you soon!

• Locked thread