Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Meat and dairy are unethical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Spacewolf posted:

For the Americans in the thread...define bacon?

I know there may well be a difference between its use here and there...But I forget where the difference is.

No, it's the same thing. There appears to be a perception that bacon from Britain tastes nicer but by and large we get ours from Denmark and the Netherlands, so if anything it's merely theirs which is nice.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tesseraction posted:

No, it's the same thing. There appears to be a perception that bacon from Britain tastes nicer but by and large we get ours from Denmark and the Netherlands, so if anything it's merely theirs which is nice.
Traditional British bacon is a different cut though, from the back of the pig rather than the sides. But yeah, generally the only British part is it possibly being cut in the UK, though from what British politicians are saying it's because they treat their pigs better making them too expensive compared to the tortured ones they get from Denmark and the Netherlands.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 13, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Of course, as I said previously, British pork has a 25% hepatitis E infection rate, so hope you enjoy the aesthetic of your local hospital.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Of course, as I said previously, British pork has a 25% hepatitis E infection rate, so hope you enjoy the aesthetic of your local hospital.
This is why you don't let your politicians molest your pigs.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I did not vote for the Pigfucker General!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

GaussianCopula posted:

The problem with the EU is that it's on the precipice of becoming an actual union state in contrast to a union of states and because of the lack of a European identity, there is exactly zero chance that it's going to work, but because of inertia, especially through the Euro, the European institutions are not able to stop their march towards an ever closer union and therefore action by them is met by an equal and opposite reaction in the member states. But this doesn't mean the EU is bound to become a zombie, it just means that it won't be an union state anytime soon, which is probably not the worst outcome.

I often wonder at how much of a chance the EU has of doing the United States dance in the future, or as in how long would it theoretically take for it to start considering itself as "one nation indivisible" and all. On the one hand, all of its member nations entered into the union quite willingly, and not primarily due to an external threat and a matter of survival to win their independence from the English. So while that is moreso peaceful, ultimately it was only an economic union and never also a political one and statement for an outside force to gently caress off. So if I were to guess that'd delay any kind of merge ala the US since it doesn't help much to convince the general public of a necessity to form that joint identity. Then there's stuff like the migrant crisis demonstrating, how there's our own version of 'the racist south' with groups like the Visegrad Four, although lol if this issue would actually lead to civil war within the EU (either because the general right loses its collective dumbass minds, or because Merkel or others like her literally lose their minds in starting to act as if they're already the boss of all of Europe right now).

My own prediction is that the same thing will happen to the EU in the coming decades, as always happens in history whenever significant change has been seen to occur. Something violent. And, as I keep saying, there's two possible outcomes. Either it kills the zombie that the EU is turning into due to inertia OR the people in power remember that any crisis is an opportunity and yeah, serious work is made on said European identity from the aftermath of that violence (assuming we survive it of course).

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 13, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CrazyLoon posted:

I often wonder at how much of a chance the EU has of doing the United States dance in the future, or as in how long would it theoretically take for it to start considering itself as "one nation indivisible" and all.

Well, consider it took a Civil War for that to happen in the US.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

computer parts posted:

Often do. Still consider it might for the EU, though like I said: the US was born from rebelling against the Brits while the EU was moreso: "Okay, let's huddle together since WW2 was bad, mmmkay?" Not to say that excludes any possibility of a civil war (since people in general and everywhere are ultimately still dumb, panicky animals), but I do wonder how the future will turn out here with that background, which is legit a new thing in the history of our world.

Ah well...I guess I get to live through it, even if on its fringes. :v:

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 13, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

im afraid that if the brexit goes through i wont be able to buy cheap cheddar and proper bacon any more

Just import that poo poo from Lower Saxony. It's basically England, anyway. The same weather, the same kind of people, just with cleaner air. If you walk into one of these small, forgotten villages where half the people still speak Plattdeutsch, you'll never even notice the difference.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Gimme odds on Brexit reigniting the "South Will Rise Again" nonsense.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Gimme odds on Brexit reigniting the "South Will Rise Again" nonsense.

I don't think Britain has the power to stop the EU from seceding.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
PSA: The polls for Germany's Super Sunday election will close in 10min. Please discuss the results in the Germany thread, to keep it in one place http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439500&pagenumber=183#lastpost

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
What, like we discussed the French elections in the French thread and the Greek elections in the Greek thread?

I'm not going in there, it's full of Germans!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

LemonDrizzle posted:

What, like we discussed the French elections in the French thread and the Greek elections in the Greek thread?

I'm not going in there, it's full of Germans!

There is neither a French nor a Greek thread.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

There is neither a French nor a Greek thread.
Yes there is, they're just closed to Germans.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
There is an instagram account called @hotmigrants

https://www.instagram.com/hotmigrants/

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GaussianCopula posted:

PSA: The polls for Germany's Super Sunday election will close in 10min. Please discuss the results in the Germany thread, to keep it in one place http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439500&pagenumber=183#lastpost

This thread is fine for discussing regional elections in European countries if people want to do so.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

GaussianCopula posted:

Look at the Germans trying to dictate norms and rules to the rest of Europe again. We'll discuss it wherever we drat well please.

Ps. I'm kidding, mostly.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Oh my god, it's full of Nazis.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The summary is big gains for AfD, CDU losing one of their traditional strongholds to the Greens and generally taking a hammering, and the SPD continuing their protracted slide into powerless irrelevance.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So who's the leader of AfD and does he also have a hilarious countenance?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

So who's the leader of AfD and does he also have a hilarious countenance?

You decide:

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

You decide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ukFAvYP3UU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

waitwhatno posted:

You decide:

Bah, that's not even a man.

Shabby hairstyle though, so that's one box checked. Or as it will soon be known, Czeched.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LemonDrizzle posted:

CDU losing one of their traditional strongholds to the Greens

Man, losing a "traditional stronghold" is bad enough, but to Greens? That's just adding insult to injury.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Man, losing a "traditional stronghold" is bad enough, but to Greens? That's just adding insult to injury.

Well, the BaWü Green leader defended Horst Seehofer last week and there second most prominent member, the mayor of Tübingen, called for the German border to be closed, if necessary with force.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

27 dead and 75 wounded in new Ankara bombing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

computer parts posted:

It also took ignoring the Constitutional Convention's actual mandate to revise the Articles of Confederation:

quote:

The Convention agreed on several principles. Most importantly, they agreed that the Convention should go beyond its mandate merely to amend the Articles of Confederation, and instead should produce a new constitution outright. While some delegates thought this illegal, the Articles of Confederation were closer to a treaty between sovereign states than they were to a national constitution, so the genuine legal problems were limited.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Convention_(United_States)#James_Madison.27s_blueprint

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

LemonDrizzle posted:

The summary is big gains for AfD, CDU losing one of their traditional strongholds to the Greens and generally taking a hammering, and the SPD continuing their protracted slide into powerless irrelevance.

So much like the rest of Western Europe then, just a couple of years behind. Sad.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's bad, pretty bad, but you gotta put things in perspective. While the AfD is right-wing populist by European standards, it's pretty harmless compared to the Republican party& Trumpism.

Frauke Petry(AfD headclown)caused a national uproar when she suggested that the German border, when necessary, should be defended by force from refugees. Afterwards, she quickly backpedaled and even tried to deny the comment at first. And now look at Trump. He proclaims, on national television, that he wants to massacre ISIS woman and children and people applaud. He announces that he wants to create a national register for Muslims, analogous to the one that Nazi Germany had for Jews and people applaud.

We are all hosed, both sides of the Atlantic. Pray for us.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

waitwhatno posted:

And now look at Trump. He proclaims, on national television, that he wants to massacre ISIS woman and children and people applaud. He announces that he wants to create a national register for Muslims, analogous to the one that Nazi Germany had for Jews and people applaud.

And the kicker? He's not even the worst GOP candidate (that'd be Cruz).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Death is Certain

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Public opinion polling on Merkel's handling of the refugee crisis in the three German Laender that had elections today (green: she is handling it well, red: she is handling it badly). Can you guess which of the three saw the strongest surge in support for AfD????

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Can I vote: "She handled it like poo poo." while also adding: "But that hot poo poo's still better than anything the neo-nazis propose."

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It looked like a plurality of AfD's voters are people who had not voted before and their surge was in correlation to the prevalence of poverty rather than immigrants. Nothing surprising about the latter, the former is somewhat interesting.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
So basically a Trump-like demographic?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

YF-23 posted:

It looked like a plurality of AfD's voters are people who had not voted before and their surge was in correlation to the prevalence of poverty rather than immigrants. Nothing surprising about the latter, the former is somewhat interesting.
What are you basing this conclusion on? The overwhelming majority of AfD voters consider their personal financial situation to be good, and while they are slightly less economically satisfied than people voting for other parties, the differences are so minor as to be basically irrelevant:

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 14, 2016

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

What are you basing this conclusion on? The overwhelming majority of AfD voters consider their personal financial situation to be good, and while they are slightly less economically satisfied than people voting for other parties, the differences are so minor as to be basically irrelevant:

The difference to the other parties is pretty jarring. The "feel good" parts of other parties are within 2% of each other, and AfD is 6% below that.

I think the AfD has two main groups of voters at the moment: Strong (non-Nazi) nationalists and strongly conservative people, who are happy to finally have political representation again. And a large group of people who have been shocked into voting by the refugee crisis. I'd bet at least half of the people voting AfD yesterday did it because they wanted to "send a message" about their desire for limited integration.

Also, most other parties in Germany have big problems at the moment, so that was probably a factor too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

Pictures of a TV man presenting graphs I got from twitter:

For unemployment, I didn't see stats but I assumed it was referencing state unemployment relative to AfD results, and this graph shows AfD voters' issues being refugees at (only?) 56%, with social justice a close second (though it's a wonder what the average AfD voter imagines that to be), and a good amount being worried about jobs.