Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Thunderbro posted:

Squeenix has never released accurate numbers beyond "we have 5 million accounts guys! 5 million whole accounts!". They fudge PR and news a lot to make the game seem much more popular than it is, and considering their level sync stuff pulls in all players their queue times are still really bad. I'd be surprised if it had much over 1 million subs.

That's just because they're accurate criticisms, down to an exactly specific number. Calling someone obsessive or an rear end in a top hat is really the only retort left.

I'd be surprised if they had 1 million subscribers. That's actually a huge number. It's only because of wow that we consider that a low number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

On ps4 something like 30-40% have completed the realm reborn trophy for finishing mainstory, some of those have probably quit and I'm pretty sure most don't play all year around so let's halve it, maybe something like 10-20% of playerbase is active at same time. This is really lovely math but I think 500k-million is decent guess. Levelsync is genious feature though, it unites poopsockers who love to repeat content and singleplayer single-run dudes beautifully. Queues are always ok and it's nice singleplayer experience.

That said, I find ESO much more exciting singleplayer mmorpg experience. You really feel like exploring and stuff, FFXIV is more of a way to get WoW nostalgy fill and anime fill from same source one or two months a year. I'm pretty excited for No Mans Sky, even though it's not mmorpg it will probably do same thing as ESO for me. FFXIV I'm burned out on atm but definitely ready to come back at some point

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Thunderbro posted:

you'll be happy after getting through the actual 364 quest gate to even touch expansion content and then the 100+ quests that come after that before you can raid or play with your friends outside of the awfully designed level sync system

spoilers: there are too many mandatory quests and they are all forgettable

ffxiv is p much made of what your wife hates

It was fun having the chocobo butt perfume argument in the ffxiv thread so long ago. Those guys get so unreasonably defensive about how lovely their game can be when it gets lovely.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I can confirm FFXIV is a boring video game mostly because of the mmo mechanics.

But hey, if you love theme park mmo's and you just think you need to find a really good one rather then a better genre of game go for it

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I have zero interest in playing it myself, but FFXIV is clearly extremely popular everywhere that people talk about MMOs. I wouldn't have any doubts over someone saying it's got 500k-1m somewhat regular players, and that would firmly put it at #2 after WoW if true.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I tried the FFXIV free trial and was unsold on it pretty might right away when I noticed there was lag on ability use. I played Guild Wars 2 beforehand and all your abilities begin right when you push the button there, so it's pretty jarring having to go back to that old antiquated way of doing things. I heard there used to be lag on almost everything in FFXIV because they had server side checks for things as mundane as opening a menu before the they remade the entire game.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 29, 2016

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
There isn't input lag so much as most things are specifically tied to the animation of the ability. Offensive and defensive cooldowns, certain procs, attack damage calculation.. the vast majority of these aren't applied until the animation itself has reached a certain frame. This can still be an issue in a few circumstances.

The game is pretty responsive to inputs depending on your latency, and even has a fairly generous input buffer during the GCD.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

I tried the FFXIV free trial and was unsold on it pretty might right away when I noticed there was lag on ability use. I played Guild Wars 2 beforehand and all your abilities begin right when you push the button there, so it's pretty jarring having to go back to that old antiquated way of doing things. I heard there used to be lag on almost everything in FFXIV because they had server side checks for things as mundane as opening a menu before the they remade the entire game.

i bought the special edition of version 1. I logged in 3 times and rage quit 3 times. Its the only mmo i ever rage quit from. And it was the lag and terrible menu fuckery. It was released on pc but was hard coded to run on a controller with 4 buttons. They were talking about how super easy it was to switch classes mid combat and even had debuffs for doing so. Yet it took longer to swap out a weapon and change class in FFXIV than it took me to soe, run to the wh, drop my gear/get my gear, run to the class master and swap classes and then get a gatechant/summon back in lineage 2.

Holy gently caress it was bad.

Then when they finally gave up on 1.0 and gave out the free 2.0 i didnt even download it.

I played a 2 week free trial of it last year and wasnt too impressed. It was boring. But i do have friends that do do the sub for a month or two a year thing. Though most of them now just roll a new email account and do a 2 week free trial for half a week.

Either ive grown out of them, or mmos are all pretty lovely these days

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

Either ive grown out of them, or mmos are all pretty lovely these days

Mmos have always been bad. But they make you feel like you're achieving things which can be therapeutic in some life situations

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

yikes

got into the Riders of Icarus final closed beta

it's bad so far. sucks because i was really excited for an MMO where you get to collect dragons, i played dragon's prophet and it turned out to be a bust, not sure how this one will do either.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Oh yeah Dragon's Prophet was loving bad from start to finish. I mean bad to the point where they didn't do proper Steam integration so if you were using an account you made before the game came to Steam you could buy DLC but you wouldn't get it and support would just tell you you're hosed and then ignore you and of course no refunds since it's DLC. Seriously gently caress those guys.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive got a friend on steam that is in RoI. He is having a blast playing pokemon and collecting all the mounts.

I used to play venomancer in perfect world. I think once of the reasons i stopped was (well apart from the new races that made my class obsolete) was the rare poo poo you could collect. Of course there was always a 120 or something retarded venomancer there that would single hit kill the piece of poo poo as soon as it spawned if anyone else showed up to try tame it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Morglon posted:

Oh yeah Dragon's Prophet was loving bad from start to finish. I mean bad to the point where they didn't do proper Steam integration so if you were using an account you made before the game came to Steam you could buy DLC but you wouldn't get it and support would just tell you you're hosed and then ignore you and of course no refunds since it's DLC. Seriously gently caress those guys.

lol I remember that

the whole game was a major cash grab. NA version recently announced it was getting shut down but their cash shop is still open last I heard, which totally isn't a money laundering scheme on behalf of daybreak

The EU version devs were a lot better but the game still had retarded features like having to pay for an item to speak in global chat. the zones were super low pop so this combined made the game feel dead long before it was

I played a new class in RoI and it actually made a huge difference. Still won't recommend it yet but if you get a beta key don't try priest

I almost always play priest but god is the class awful in that game

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Nah, I did play on EU, NA version has been dead for more than a year now I think. Trust me EU was and still is I guess just as lovely, to the point of outright selling gambling boxes that may or may not have the dragon you want or just outright selling certain powerful ones in bundles with prices around the amount you'd expect to pay for a newly released full game.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Morglon posted:

Nah, I did play on EU, NA version has been dead for more than a year now I think. Trust me EU was and still is I guess just as lovely, to the point of outright selling gambling boxes that may or may not have the dragon you want or just outright selling certain powerful ones in bundles with prices around the amount you'd expect to pay for a newly released full game.

yea i saw the gambling boxes, and the $100 dragon packages. plus taking design submissions from players and rendering them, then making them available by purchase only (and pre-purchased versions had better buffs than the ones purchased later, of course). last time I swung by the EU forums the devs were constantly trying to reassure people that EU isn't going to close too.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 8, 2016

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Downloading Riders right now because I am bored.

Edit:
God this game sucks. It cash shops to the point of either paying for a rezz or waiting 5 minutes.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 6, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ShadowMoo posted:

Downloading Riders right now because I am bored.

Edit:
God this game sucks. It cash shops to the point of either paying for a rezz or waiting 5 minutes.

you're kidding right?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Nope, lasted 30 minutes before I uninstalled.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

ShadowMoo posted:

Nope, lasted 30 minutes before I uninstalled.

they've been avoiding any and all questions about the cash shop on the forums, while being pretty diligent about answering questions regarding other topics. and some of the testers just found out from the KR version that the game is getting a creepy ellin-type race too, lol

if ever a decent monster-collecting MMO comes out let me know, i love collecting mounts and pets in these games but all the ones that focus on that aspect of gameplay are cash-shop obsessed in my experience

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well what did you expect from Nexon? I mean it looks alright but pass, gently caress that noise.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

A Spider Covets posted:

if ever a decent monster-collecting MMO comes out let me know, i love collecting mounts and pets in these games but all the ones that focus on that aspect of gameplay are cash-shop obsessed in my experience

but...thats world of warcraft. there is no successor to wow in sight so you might wanna stick with it

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I'm not too familiar with nexon tbh

As for wow i played it a lot as a teen and don't want to go back, when i say monster collecting i mean where you get to raise and level alongside them (like DP but not poo poo? The concept was fun), but i did reinstall eq last night and am having fun dinking around with nostalgia :shobon: i remade my necromancer from when i was a kid and am ready to chill with my undead friends

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 7, 2016

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

well, they dont lvl with them but finding/grinding for mounts and pets is all wow ppl do nowadays.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
there's totally pet battling/levelling in wow now

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
:cawg: Ironic that the person that was actually looking for WoW's Pet Battle bullshit didn't even know it was a thing.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah but it's just tacked on instead of the focus and I can see not wanting to touch the game at all, much less still paying monthly for it. There's the option to make something out of that premise but if the western market touches it at all it's on mobile platforms and the things that get ported from Asia are hugely exploitative cash grabs.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

When your mmorpg requests get that specific it's time to just mmorpgs and not play mmorpgs
I seesame thing on fantasy forums "looking for fantasy books with no magic and mc who collects butterflies"

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

im aware it doesn't exist and likely won't haha, it was more of a hopeful "well if it happens!" statement but I should have been more clear. sorry!

im having fun playing both bdo and messing around in eq atm. i dig the action combos in bdo a whole lot, and i have a lot of fun with horse breeding. As for eq its just fun running around looking at stuff i used to mess with when i was wee

fuckin giant wasps, man

would recommend both to anyone looking to inflict self harm on themselves via mmos

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

mallamp posted:

When your mmorpg requests get that specific it's time to just mmorpgs and not play mmorpgs
I seesame thing on fantasy forums "looking for fantasy books with no magic and mc who collects butterflies"

You post on fantasy forums... good information for next time I have a posting battle

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Brave New World posted:

:cawg: Ironic that the person that was actually looking for WoW's Pet Battle bullshit didn't even know it was a thing.

Pet Battling in WoW is insanely lame and lovely. Imagine Pokemon, now remove everything that makes Pokemon fun but keep a very basic monster battling system. I choose now to point and laugh at your ignorance. The game that he is looking for is called Shin Megami Tensei Online, except it no longer exists. It wasn't very good but it was still fun.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 8, 2016

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

ArtIsResistance posted:

You post on fantasy forums... good information for next time I have a posting battle

Not really :shrug: Used to, but I'm kind of over it

khy
Aug 15, 2005

What is currently the best F2P MMORPG on the market? Best as defined by 'largest player base'.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

khy posted:

What is currently the best F2P MMORPG on the market? Best as defined by 'largest player base'.

If you mean totally free then probably SWTOR. If you can expand to "no monthly fees" then probably Guild Wars 2

khy
Aug 15, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you mean totally free then probably SWTOR. If you can expand to "no monthly fees" then probably Guild Wars 2

Thank you. I know at one point there was a site that used to do population graphs for MMO games; is something like that still available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Guild Wars 2 is free now too actually, with some restrictions on free accounts that haven't bought the expansion.

• Locked thread