Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

nopantsjack posted:

Final Fantasy is probably the best MMO at the moment but its an incredible timesink, you have to do all storyquests to progress which might sound fine but 70% of them are insultingly back and forth treks across the world maps to have a conversation.
You also have to do all the storyquests and basic dungeons for all patches (there were a bunch) in order to progress to the expansion content which is where the game gets good, which should "only" take about a day's solid grinding, skipping all cutscenes with a tank to group with.

I ended up getting to end level then quitting in frustration because its so close to a great MMO but all the grind is done to waste as much of your time as possible. Presentation and higher level PVE content are incredibly good though and their content releases put WoW to absolute shame.

e: someone above said that its designed from the ground up to waste your time and yeah pretty much, but in an interesting way, it has teleporting like GW2 but will put all story objectives as far as possible from a teleport point. It has flying and its rad but you have to run around every part of a zone and do quests and a dungeon, you will usually have outlevelled a zone at about the time you gain flying. It has new hunting logs for the expansion where you gain loads of exp and currency for killing select mobs allowing new players to quickly gain gear, but its gated by you completing all the hunting logs for the previous game.

Enjoy trying to be the 1% that actually does the hardest content in a game that has 1% of the subs as wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

Ffxiv trial status: I killed a bunch of squirrels and did chores for random assholes. Exactly what I was expecting and looking for 10/10

Based on your posts, it sounds like you haven't played enough MMOs to become bitter/realize there's more to the genre than collecting 10 boar assholes. When you inevitably do, come join us in Project Gorgon. It's great.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
My favorite MMO I've played recently (post-WoW) has been Fallen Earth. Unfortunately, no one really plays it anymore.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There is a part of my brain that formed when I was young and playing MMOs. It is my dark passenger that hungers for numbers that go up.
To that end, I got The Division and I dig it. It's a shooter with Diablo-like loot, some near-future sci-fi and I haven't noticed a grind yet.
my GF and I play for an hour at a time, knock out a few encounters and set it down. Good times.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Enjoy trying to be the 1% that actually does the hardest content in a game that has 1% of the subs as wow!

it wouldnt surprise me if a much larger % of people go through raid content in ffxiv than in wow just because organizing 8 people to run through content is way faster than getting 20. The numbers show that the vast majority of the population goes through normal mode and a sizeable number goes through extreme modes.

.wintermute
Feb 28, 2007

pk irl
This thread sold me on FFXIV. Going to get trial as soon as my gaming laptop arrives.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

It also helps that all the extreme content is basically single bosses with minimal trash designed to teach you a mechanic, so you can actually raid for an hour focusing on one boss and actually get poo poo done.

Also, re: the gating grind, the worst parts of it are everything you have to do in the open world, once you get past like 30 the dungeons start becoming more interesting, your job abilities start filling in some of the gaps in your rotation so you aren't spamming impulse drive or whatever your class's equivalent is, and it really shouldn't take you too long to get what you need to get for your main story quest. Max level players have access to several roulettes they can run every day for current content rewards, and generally they do so because it's the best way to get a lot of those currencies and level other classes. I don't play on excal, but I do know that if you play on excal during sane hours then there will probably be people who will help you with the actually difficult 4 man content like garuda normal (who is harder than garuda hard) and such and will probably answer any questions you may have about poo poo.

If you want to just make a beeline to max level then ignore every quest that isn't the one with the flame icon or your class quests (one every 5 levels) and do your leveling roulette every day once you unlock it at 16.

Also crafting is 100% ignorable and you can leave it entirely alone until you feel like loving with it. It's a giant mess of autism though, so beware that pit.

Tenzarin posted:

I guess you haven't heard the news about how badly wow's sub numbers dumpstered. FFXIV probably doesn't have a million active subs, but it certainly has more than 50k.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 13, 2016

.wintermute
Feb 28, 2007

pk irl
The thing that drove me away from WoW was Cataclysm, when Blizzard finally turned what previously felt as an achievement into "get your free daily epics" pinata.

e: I actually look forward to play a game where I can feel that I have achieved something and wasn't just served ready on a plate.

.wintermute fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 13, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

.wintermute posted:

This thread sold me on FFXIV. Going to get trial as soon as my gaming laptop arrives.

I tried to like FF14 but I kept literally falling asleep at my keyboard. Supposedly I didn't yet get to the "good part" (I made it to like level 15 or something) but that's my FF14 story

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

.wintermute posted:

The thing that drove me away from WoW was Cataclysm, when Blizzard finally turned what previously felt as an achievement into "get your free daily epics" pinata.

e: I actually look forward to play a game where I can feel that I have achieved something and wasn't just served ready on a plate.

u wot

Cata stepped up the heroics difficulty hardcore. I never actually finished Grim Batol.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I tried to like FF14 but I kept literally falling asleep at my keyboard. Supposedly I didn't yet get to the "good part" (I made it to like level 15 or something) but that's my FF14 story

Just curious what class you played, because a few of them are ok up to 15 but a few are god loving awful snorefests, so, yah

I love the game but it does not pass the first-hour test by any goddamn stretch

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 13, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

.wintermute posted:

Play dark souls if you want to achieve something, and if you think it's too hard then you're lying to yourself about what you want.

And you don't remember cataclysm at all if that was your takeaway opinion.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is a 100% reasonable opinion and why I tell anyone who wants to try out FFXIV to get a trial because it's really not for everyone.

.wintermute
Feb 28, 2007

pk irl

ChickenWing posted:

u wot

Cata stepped up the heroics difficulty hardcore. I never actually finished Grim Batol.

I don't recall any of them being exceptionally hard, but maybe that's just me. Heroics always were more of a several days of runs for me with a guild group to get all gear needed to start raiding, except "Glory of ... Hero" achievement.

I mostly disliked LFR introduction (somewhere in the middle of Cata) and welfare gear concept.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

.wintermute posted:

I don't recall any of them being exceptionally hard, but maybe that's just me. Heroics always were more of a several days of runs for me with a guild group to get all gear needed to start raiding, except "Glory of ... Hero" achievement.

I mostly disliked LFR introduction (somewhere in the middle of Cata) and welfare gear concept.

A) "welfare" gear allows people to gear up and altswap and also increases the pool of potential raiding candidates, so it's a good thing for everyone regardless of what sperglords think
B) this post reads like a greatest hits of reasons why cataclysm's increased difficulty was mitigated for you

also ask blizzard how making GBS threads all over their LFR playerbase worked out in WoD. (it didn't at all)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I played summoner in ARR and I think my rotation only filled out either at exactly end level or 2 levels before that, be wary of people who say you aren't at the good part yet.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

A) "welfare" gear allows people to gear up and altswap and also increases the pool of potential raiding candidates, so it's a good thing for everyone regardless of what sperglords think
B) this post reads like a greatest hits of reasons why cataclysm's increased difficulty was mitigated for you

also ask blizzard how making GBS threads all over their LFR playerbase worked out in WoD. (it didn't at all)

Lol LFR gear looks like wet dog poo poo and Mythic gear makes you look like big dick man. Is that why they lost so many subs?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Lol LFR gear looks like wet dog poo poo and Mythic gear makes you look like big dick man. Is that why they lost so many subs?

LFR gear has different set bonuses that don't compare in the slightest with the real tier set bonuses. They did this because the hardcore raiders whined about having to do LFR, and then it turned out that they weren't that big of a portion of the playerbase and all the people who would just run lfr once a week left to go play something else because their toys were taken away.

This is on top of making normal harder and generally making GBS threads on the casual raiding audience. Not necessarily the LFR players, but the people who just wanted to get some buds together and kill internet dragons a few hours a week suddenly weren't good enough to raid through a combination of the lack of set bonuses from LFR, an increase in mechanical difficulty of bosses, and a huge step up in the length of boss fights.

Basically they listened to the people who thought like you wintermute and it turns out they don't make up enough of the audience for them to actually give a poo poo over.

edit: got confused over who said what, fixed

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 14, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

i mean just lol if you let casuals experience any content, really

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

I played summoner in ARR and I think my rotation only filled out either at exactly end level or 2 levels before that, be wary of people who say you aren't at the good part yet.

Are we talking about level 50 rotation or level 60 rotation, because that can be quite a different thing for all classes (every class has a drastically different attack rotation at 50 and at 60)?

Because Summoners are pretty solid on their rotation at level 30 or so, and change quite a bit from 50 to 60 (but that's the way it is for like 80% of DPS jobs, the exceptions are Monk and Ninja).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

.wintermute posted:

Someone hasnt played Wildstar yet.

No one plays Wildstar

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

This is on top of making normal harder and generally making GBS threads on the casual raiding audience. Not necessarily the LFR players, but the people who just wanted to get some buds together and kill internet dragons a few hours a week suddenly weren't good enough to raid through a combination of the lack of set bonuses from LFR, an increase in mechanical difficulty of bosses, and a huge step up in the length of boss fights.

Basically they listened to the people who thought like you wintermute and it turns out they don't make up enough of the audience for them to actually give a poo poo over.

I got confused about the topic for a moment and thought this was talking about the last raid tier in FFXIV. Except the part about the gear since FFXIV would not dare introduce such a gear gap, but it ends up just reducing incentive to do such difficult raids and ends in the same effect. Raiding in FFXIV is not a standard to hold raiding to and I don't see how anyone can look at the last raid tier and say with a straight face that this was good and the future is bright.

Also on the advantages of 8 man raids in FFXIV, it was fine on release but if they continue adding jobs at the clip they have been going at it is going to create a balancing nightmare that they already struggle to manage. Especially with how they balance roles in a way where different jobs competing for the same raid slot have different synergistic effects with others that results in a constant back and forward of "is it better to buff x or y job?". 8 man raiding is fun but I'm not convinced it's without problems and if we get to a point where we have to balance twice as many jobs as raid slots adjusting party sizes might make the problem more manageable.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Yoshi has said they probably won't release 3 jobs per expansion due to the workload. Also, I do think that those problems exist, but increasing the raid size would probably cause more problems than it solves, and if you're doing the content hardcore enough that your class comp makes a real difference you'll probably have several classes leveled up anyway, or be willing to do so.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Furnaceface posted:

Someone hasnt played Wildstar yet.

No one plays Wildstar

I played Wildstar up to like lvl 15. I built up my house then did whatever the first dungeon was. I told the group I was new to the game and tanking and they called me a noob. Great playerbase.

I guess in their defense I started playing like a month after it came out?

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008
Guys, I am curious.
For those of you who suggested FFXIV to the OP: if he didn't say that he already played WOW and was looking for something new, would you still suggest him FFXIV, or tell him to go with WOW?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I don't think a suggestion to go play WoW like right now would be popular anyway considering those who still play are bored of it and generally unsatisfied with WoD and the new expansion is at least four months away, and FFXIV just released a new big update.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Admittedly, I had pretty specific criteria and FFXIV fits them to a T. If you just want something "new", I'd say add a bit of breadth to your search. Despite being a pedo simulator, Tera was a really fun game because of how active it was. EVE is great for getting your blood pumping, and is still an experience unlike any other on the market. Black Desert allegedly fills the "sandbox pvp focused endgame" niche. Guild Wars 2 had a great levelling experience and I guess maybe there's good pvp or something?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

Admittedly, I had pretty specific criteria and FFXIV fits them to a T. If you just want something "new", I'd say add a bit of breadth to your search. Despite being a pedo simulator, Tera was a really fun game because of how active it was. EVE is great for getting your blood pumping, and is still an experience unlike any other on the market. Black Desert allegedly fills the "sandbox pvp focused endgame" niche. Guild Wars 2 had a great levelling experience and I guess maybe there's good pvp or something?

I wouldn't recommend Black Desert until the game is optimized and the UX isn't so awful.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I wouldn't recommend Black Desert until the game is optimized and the UX isn't so awful.

I've been told repeatedly and at length that the UI is very customizable and it's possible to make it not utter rear end.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

LFR gear has different set bonuses that don't compare in the slightest with the real tier set bonuses. They did this because the hardcore raiders whined about having to do LFR, and then it turned out that they weren't that big of a portion of the playerbase and all the people who would just run lfr once a week left to go play something else because their toys were taken away.

edit: got confused over who said what, fixed

I would just like to point out that they have made this mistake twice and attempted to make it a third time but Ghostcrawler got bounced the gently caress out and went to cry about casuals ruining his pure design vision over at riot instead. At this point anyone advocating cutting stuff the casuals like because the poor widdle hardcores will go play something else are loving morons. Hardcore focused games fail

-Wildstar Failed
-Every sandbox pvp mmo failed

The people paying the bills are the ones who might do flex a few times a month. Taxing the casuals to pay for the elites is just crony capitalism in action and it hosed the real world and its no real shock it fucks up mmos too.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Byolante posted:

I would just like to point out that they have made this mistake twice and attempted to make it a third time but Ghostcrawler got bounced the gently caress out and went to cry about casuals ruining his pure design vision over at riot instead. At this point anyone advocating cutting stuff the casuals like because the poor widdle hardcores will go play something else are loving morons. Hardcore focused games fail

-Wildstar Failed
-Every sandbox pvp mmo failed

The people paying the bills are the ones who might do flex a few times a month. Taxing the casuals to pay for the elites is just crony capitalism in action and it hosed the real world and its no real shock it fucks up mmos too.

To be fair, what do we have to judge actually released sandbox PVP MMOs on in recent years? I can only think of Darkfall and Mortal Online. If Chronicles of Elyria actually becomes a thing, it'll be the best and fairest business model out there.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mantees posted:

Guys, I am curious.
For those of you who suggested FFXIV to the OP: if he didn't say that he already played WOW and was looking for something new, would you still suggest him FFXIV, or tell him to go with WOW?

Absolutely. There was a hayday with WoW and it was basically TBC and WotLK. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that the WoW of today jumped the shark a while back.

There was a time I would of suggested WoW, but not anymore.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Absolutely. There was a hayday with WoW and it was basically TBC and WotLK. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that the WoW of today jumped the shark a while back.

There was a time I would of suggested WoW, but not anymore.

Yeah, I think casual WoW peaked in WotLK (I'm king casual of pubbie mountain and even I got to muck around with raid content), and WoW in general peaked in Cata. Pandas were the first step on the road to darkness

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Pandaria was pretty nice for casual players, it was just lovely in the beginning and got better later on. Wod was the exact opposite where it looked like it'd be really open for casual play and then it went the exact opposite direction.

To be fair, I don't think every decision they made was expressly to gently caress the middle 80% or whatever it is. The boss designs are pretty much just a continuation in the arms race against player skill and modding, but they should have recognized that was a problem and balanced not-mythic raiding around it. WoD was also the expansion where the grognard devs who had been working on Titan finally made their presence known, and it turns out they all have really bad ideas about why people play mmos. It's one of the reasons I don't have a whole lot of faith in Legion right now. It might look neat, but so did WoD.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
WoW peaked in WoTLK when they still had pre-established lore from the RTS series to go on but Mists of Pandaria was actually really, really good. Everything about Cata and the year of Dragon Soul was pretty poo poo tbh.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

suuma posted:

WoW peaked in WoTLK when they still had pre-established lore from the RTS series to go on but Mists of Pandaria was actually really, really good. Everything about Cata and the year of Dragon Soul was pretty poo poo tbh.

I really enjoyed Cata before Firelands. The raids were super fun.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 14, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Cataclysm was good. Magic pandaland was dumb.

WOW's problem going forward is that they have added so many layers to the game it is a literal black box now. "When a forest grows too wild a purging fire is inevitable and natural".

FF14 is giving away a free trial, the first act of a dying game.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 14, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Cataclysm was good. Magic pandaland was dumb.

WOW's problem going forward is that they have added so many layers to the game it is a literal black box now. "When a forest grows too wild a purging fire is inevitable and natural".

FF14 is giving away a free trial, the first act of a dying game.

are you a markov chain bot

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Mantees posted:

Guys, I am curious.

If WoW was still good, possibly? But it hasn't been for quite a while now. FF14:ARR is the first WoW-clone that I seriously thought was any good at the end game. Besides, there's a level of flashiness and style that FF14 has that WoW cannot match. Period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My favorite WoW-like is still Old Republic. Probably the only MMO I can still say I actually like. In my opinion the best thing to come out of Star Wars, if we're counting the KOTOR games

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 15, 2016

• Locked thread