Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You knock him down with all your force and he goes sprawling. Then you are clear of the hut. You run, and keep running, until you are deep in the woods, but also hopelessly lost. Still, you have your hide. And you are now on your own -- you have called on your Spirit’s help, and while the powers above are giving, they are not generous, and they will not help you again for some time.
You come to a stop, in a field of long grass almost over your head. But which way will you go? There is no time to get your bearings!

Uphill!
Downhill!

Stats posted:

Stamina: 6/12
Gold: 14
Rations: 0
Spirit animal: Fox

Weapons: Sword
Magical Items: Bamboo Flute, Giant Tooth (1), Goblin Teeth (4), Beeswax (2), Half a spellbook page (CA*)
Treasure: None.
Other items: Apes' teeth (3). Snattas' Teeth (2).
Clues: None.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

We may have a better chance of figuring out where we are if we go Uphill.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You race around the curve of the hill, crashing through a thin line of trees, until you are quite sure you have not been followed. But where are you now?

Follow the hillside

The path climbs again up a low hill, covered over with thick bushes and shrubs that snag at your clothing. Halfway up, you hear a sound. Twigs, breaking. You freeze, as a large creature, the size of a bear, emerges directly in front of you. It has black and white fur, and a long bushy tail that trails out behind. It growls menacingly.

Prepare to attack
Try to edge around it

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Err...nice...kitty...bear? Try to edge around it

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Leaving the main trail, you slip through the shrubs around the creature. Its patch is clearly the square of dirt through which the path leads; it watches you to ensure you don’t come too close, but it doesn’t attack. After a few minutes of this, you are on the other side, and able to continue. The path leads down through another valley, and back up another hill. Two hours pass.

: This would have been more complicated had we came in from a different direction, or still had honey in our inventory.

The sun is now just past its zenith and everywhere, a dusty heat rises from the baked earth. You begin to think about where you will stay for the night. Another night sleeping out in the open would be best avoided. But then you see a small village, set into the hill. Smoke rises from the stacks. The houses are well-set, with stone at their bases and thatched roofs of grasses and thick leaves. There is, unusually, more than just the one street running through the centre ofitown. But it is as though this place, once rich, has had its heart scooped away. Litter surrounds the buildings, and on the edge of the village are rows and rows of empty, abandoned houses. You continue your slow trudge along the path.

Enter the village
Avoid the village

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Enter the village. Lets avoid sleeping rough this time and have a bat try and eat our leg.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

We still need food so lets Enter the village.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

You walk into the village. Young Hill Dwellers pass you and stare at your strange clothes.

Look at the people
Ignore them

Their own attire is rough by Comparison to your gear. They wear their hair long but piled up on their heads. These people are ghastly poor. The village is like a ghost town, here on the knife-edge of the Baklands.

Talk in an ale-house
Rest at an inn

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Let's get wasted.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Walking down the single road you quickly find a hut with its front covering pulled wide open and the smell of brewed beer coming from inside. You go in. Several Hill Dwellers are here, talking gruffly. When you enter they watch you with understandable caution.

The owner of the hut comes over to you. 'Welcome to Kristatanti' , he declares. 'What do you want'?

Greet the owner
Ignore him and sit with the Hill Dwellers

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Hello my good man! How do you do?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

‘Give me whatever you have,’ you reply. ‘Ale is one Gold Piece,’ he answers. ‘Please, sit.’ You go over to the table where the Hill Dwellers are.

Sit with the oldest man
Sit with the youngest man

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Sit with the oldest man. He probably got old by surviving the head hunters who live 30 minutes away, so that's a point in his flavour.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

You turn your attention to the oldest man at the table. Whatever face he once had is lost in a labyrinth of wrinkles, and his skin is the colour of tanned hide from a lifetime in the beating sun.

'Greetings old man'
'What are you looking at' m8

: It's a bit of a giveaway that I tend to fast-forward through irrelevant conversations and ask for a vote when certain dialog options are preferable, but what can you do?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"Hello."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

: ‘Greetings, old man.’

He raises his mug in salute. ‘Stranger.’ His face is gravelly, like the dusty dirt that lines the streets of his town. Where you from? You smell of vegetable stock.’

: Is he being racist at us? I'm pretty sure he's being racist.

'I come from Analand'
'It doesn’t matter'
Don’t answer him

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Better than smelling like cow poo poo 'I come from Analand'

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm sad there's no line of "I just came from the village next door, and boy do they make a very bad soup". 'I come from Analand'.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

: ‘I come from Analand.’

He nods. ‘Not many as cross through the Cantopani Gate. In either direction, if you know what I’m saying.’

: Had we blown up the gate, we'd have some minor extra options here, but as it stands:

I understand you
Analand must be kept safe

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

"Yeah, I get you."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

He grins, and picks his teeth with a fingernail. ‘They’ say there is a war coming. Something to do with a Crown.’

Not if I can help it
I seek that Crown
A Crown? I don't... what? A crown? Don't be ridiculous, a... a crown? What?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Crown of Kings? Never heard of it.

P.S. is it kosher to vote if you've played the game before? I promise that I won't always pick the best option.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ariong posted:

P.S. is it kosher to vote if you've played the game before? I promise that I won't always pick the best option.
A bit late to consider that, isn't it? Sure, go ahead. Try to stir us wherever you haven't explored.

In other news, our spirit animal is now the Monkey (various monkeys and apes are basically the spirit animals for vanilla heroic characters) and (something I never knew before) - the "vegetable stock" comment is unique to characters who passed through the headhunter village.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Xander77 posted:

A bit late to consider that, isn't it? Sure, go ahead. Try to stir us wherever you haven't explored.

Great!

Xander77 posted:

In other news, our spirit animal is now the Monkey (various monkeys and apes are basically the spirit animals for vanilla heroic characters) and (something I never knew before) - the "vegetable stock" comment is unique to characters who passed through the headhunter village.

gently caress. Let's hope the stars see fit to give us a tattoo removal spell. RUB? TAT?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Not if I can help it. Start the war I mean. Errr, am I for or against the war if I can help it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

: Coin flip says:

: ‘Not if I can help it.’

‘Is that so?’ replies the canny old man. ‘Well, seems like you should be drinking on the house tonight, for the good of all of us. Chanti!’ He calls the inn-keeper over. ‘l’ll cover this lady’s ale!’

'I buy my own drinks'
'Its appreciated'

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
'Its appreciated'. We could use a drink.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Never say no to free drinks.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

'It's appreciated', you answer, raising your drink to him.

You sip your beer. The old man exchange glances with the younger man sitting opposite.

Talk to the young man
Ask the old man about the area
Leave the inn

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Well, hello, totally not accomplice of roofie man.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

So tell me young man, have you and Mr Cosby here known each other long?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

You thank him for the conversation. You catch the young man’s eye. He moves over to be right beside you, close enough to whisper in your ear, but you don’t quite catch what he says.

'Repeat that'
Move away from him

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
'Repeat that'. You want to do WHAT with me?!?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

: ‘Repeat that.’

The man giggles to himself, unexpectedly. Leaning in again, so close you can smell the fumes on his breath, he declares: ‘ Snattacats !’ Then he collapses in a fit of giggles once more. Whatever the joke is, you cannot see it.

What do you mean?
Tell me about the village.

The man nods twice then drinks deep from his beer to wet his throat. Or perhaps not, because as he puts the mug down once more he says nothing, just fidgets with his fingers and occasionally grins in your direction.

'Whats wrong with you?'
Ask one of the other dwellers about this man

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Uh, old dude, a little help if you please.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

You catch a woman’s arm nearby. ‘What’s wrong with this man?’ you demand. She shrugs, and shrugs free your grasp(sic). ‘Every village has one,’ she answers. ‘Doesn’t mean were all like that. Good stock, we are.’ And she flutters her eyelids. You get back to your feet. The young man giggles to himself, but does not attempt to stop you.

Finish my beer and leave

You make to leave the inn. With a wave back to the old man who bought your drink, you step outside. You look this way and that, trying to decide what to do next, when you realise the old man has joined you once more. He grabs your shoulder and presses a fruit into your hand. ‘Bomba,’ he declares through fermented breath. ‘I grow them myself. Good for the stomach.’ He pats your belly and walks away, swaying slightly.

Look at the fruit

You turn the old man’s gift over in your hands. It is a thick-rinded fruit that keeps well and will be highly nourishing when you decide to eat it. Its only drawback is its incredible weight! It is now evening and time to sleep.

Find an inn
Sleep outside

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I think we still have money and the town seems reasonably friendly. Let's find an inn.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Find the Inn. I can't imagine this town has two of them.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

You stop a passerby and ask for an inn, and they lead you there directly. The woman who runs the place stands in the doorway with her arms folded. ‘Are you from the King?’ she demands.

'No, I'm a mere traveler'
'I am on a mission from the King'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Why yes the King and I are tight.

• Locked thread