Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Three years now and no thread. Time to fix that!

2002 Honda S2000 (Suzuka Blue)

Short history:

Bought in March 2013 with 58k, currently sitting at just under 115k. Best decision I've ever made, I love the car so much and I will never get rid of it.

In the time I've owned it all I have done outside of basic maintenance is replace a clutch slave cylinder. I also added an OEM trunk spoiler, a set of Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, and bought a set of AP2V1 wheels.

This year I'm looking to change things up a bit after I take care of some maintenance I have put off over the winter due to the cold.

To do list:

Maintenance:
Valve cover gasket/adjust valves. Also check condition of intake valve retainers while valve cover is off
Clutch master cylinder (small leak)
Brake master cylinder (small leak)
New brakes (rotors only, pads were OK at last check)
New soft top (has patches but does not leak). Probably going to get a Robbins cloth top. They seem to be well liked and I guess the cloth tops are supposed to be more durable. AFAIK this is the original top and it did well to last as long as it has, but this should be the last year I have it on.

Stuff I want to do after I take care of the boring important stuff :rice:

AP2 rear bumper conversion (I dinged mine up a while back and it doesn't sit quite right anymore in addition to having a blemish where I whacked it)
Aluminum radiator. Not currently leaking, so not high on the priority list, but something I want to get out ahead of just in case. Same style as the Miatas rad, and the plastic is getting close to 15 years old.
Wheel spacers. 15mm front, trying to decide between 17 and 20mm for the rear.
Front bumper (see below)
AP2 Center Console

If I win the lottery or trip over a huge wad of cash on the ground then it's hard top time

Now for the goon input. Currently, I have a stock AP1 bumper with no lip. I'm trying to decide between just getting an OEM (knockoff) AP1 lip (1), AP1 bumper w/ Gears Lip (2), AP2 CR bumper w/ CR lip (3), or AP2 bumper with some other lip. I'm heavily leaning towards CR Bumper with CR lip

I also need to redo the powder coat on two of my wheels due to an unfortunate graze with a curb while parking in Boston :argh: Currently they are illusion purple, and I am considering changing the color on them because it will be easier now than ever. I do love the purple but I'll take some input on colors. Only rule is no black or gun metal. The wheels on the cars above are the same ones I have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This is my friend's one with lip and that, fantastic car.

It has some cool 3d printed brake ducts at the front, he really needs to get rid of the headlight washers though... Note the retro script Honda logo on the side, just nice little touches.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Your friends car looks clean, I wish my front end had that little rock chips :v:

Ordered all new gaskets for the whole valve cover, a new o-ring for the cam gear bolt, and a new cap/filter for the BMC. Hopefully it's just a lovely seal on the cap which is letting fluid out, if not I'm only out like 10 bucks instead of 200 if it's not necessary.

Hopefully this dude at the hydro painting place calls me back so I can get an idea on turnaround for doing the valve cover and work around that for doing a valve adjustment in the shop at work.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
You going ELECTRIC SPACE WIZARD for your valve cover?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

You going ELECTRIC SPACE WIZARD for your valve cover?

Yeah gonna try :hfive:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Well poo poo now I have to buy one.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Get a C-West front lip.

And I vote white, gold, or bronze on the wheels.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I like 1 or 2. The third lip feels sort of Time-Attackey styled, but I think if its going to be that overt you might as well have something even more over the top, in carbon or black.

e: looking at google image search of suzuka blue cars, I think I like white wheels best. Or maybe a charcoal-ish metallic.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

White was my original intention before I went with purple. No go on black or gun metal, that feels boring. I think if I did white now I'd just plastidip over the powder coat.

The graphics guy called me back and said turnaround once he had the print is like a week which means I'd have to get a used valve cover off someone since I don't have another car to drive. Time to start hunting for a cheap one

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I emailed the guy the space film and he said it probably wouldn't come out good because it's a black base coat, so it looks like we are back to powder coating. Gotta find a color I like now

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Powder coat it white, then print on it?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There was an update on space print on the facebook page so you might wanna ask how the finish was achieved. It looks great.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That's mine :) I haven't been able to post it in my thread because the awful app isn't allowing uploads to imgur right now.

I just bought in on eBay for 170 bux, no idea if the dude base coated it in white first. I can put you in contact with them though if you'd like nodoze.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Confirmed, space valve cover looks amazing. Quick, put it in.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

That's mine :) I haven't been able to post it in my thread because the awful app isn't allowing uploads to imgur right now.

I just bought in on eBay for 170 bux, no idea if the dude base coated it in white first. I can put you in contact with them though if you'd like nodoze.

Yeah sure that'd be cool

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Wetworksimaging.com. I can't say much to the quality yet, the surface is nice and glossy and the graphic looks pretty good. No idea how durability will be, but it doesn't look half assed

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I liked the purple!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Yeah I'm leaning on keeping the purple. The color I'm looking at for my VC is disco fuschia, since the base to get the teal color I liked is unavailable.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I didn't forget about this I'm just lazy and haven't done anything. My valve cover parts sat at Majestic for like two weeks cause no one bothered to call me to come pick them up. I ordered my brakes the other day and I am dropping off my two dinged wheels to get re-finished tomorrow. Once I get the wheels back I'll do everything so I don't have to take wheels off twice. I can't wait to put my summers back on, these tires are great in the snow but do not inspire much confidence otherwise and make the car feel kinda squirrely when I want to drive a little harder

I found a friend of a friend to paint stuff for me when I buy my bumpers for a great price too, so good on that front.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Picked up my wheels today and got the tires put back on them. Putting them on the car tomorrow and hopefully I can convince the guy to crack the brake rotor bolts for me and I can put them in after I get home. Shoutouts to no impact gun

In other news, gonna order a soft top tomorrow. I talked to the guy who does top installs for people on S2KI and he charges a crazy reasonable price for putting them in and told me he has it down to 4 hours installation time. That sounds good as hell to me even if I gotta drive to NY for it, still way cheaper than anything I'd find here. I was gonna wait a little longer to do this, but it's getting nicer out and hell if I don't miss putting the roof down all the time

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Didn't really see a better place to ask this but I've included S2000's into my car search and there's a local 2005 with 8k miles on it listed for $25k. Prices are all over the loving place, but I'd try to talk him down a bit since it has been for sale for at least a month and that actually seems reasonable for a car with that low of miles from some of the other cars I've seen. Am I wrong on that?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fknlo posted:

Didn't really see a better place to ask this but I've included S2000's into my car search and there's a local 2005 with 8k miles on it listed for $25k. Prices are all over the loving place, but I'd try to talk him down a bit since it has been for sale for at least a month and that actually seems reasonable for a car with that low of miles from some of the other cars I've seen. Am I wrong on that?

If it's a clean title, which it should be with that little miles.. , then 20-25k is about right. I've seen them for more with that little miles, but it can be a little area dependent too. Color matters as well, white tends to be a little more expensive. If it's been up for that long he might bite at anything over 20

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

If it's a clean title, which it should be with that little miles.. , then 20-25k is about right. I've seen them for more with that little miles, but it can be a little area dependent too. Color matters as well, white tends to be a little more expensive. If it's been up for that long he might bite at anything over 20

I'm thinking that if I can get him down to $22-23k and it's as clean as I hope a car with 8000 miles should be I might have to pull the trigger. A guy I work with who used to have an s2k and apparently regrets selling it did a pretty good job selling me on the car. Hopefully I'll get to take a look at it/drive it over the next couple of days.

Asspire
Dec 9, 2006
I have a 2008 GPW that just hit 40k miles. How difficult was the valve adjustment. I have been excessively anal with all of my maintenance so far and I want to keep it up.

Also I vote for the AP2 bumper with AP2 OEM lip. I really never liked the look of the CR bumper/lip, it seems a little extreme for the rest of the lines on the car.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Asspire posted:

I have a 2008 GPW that just hit 40k miles. How difficult was the valve adjustment. I have been excessively anal with all of my maintenance so far and I want to keep it up.

Also I vote for the AP2 bumper with AP2 OEM lip. I really never liked the look of the CR bumper/lip, it seems a little extreme for the rest of the lines on the car.

It's not a difficult job but it requires using feeler gauges to set the tolerances, and there isn't much room for error. If you've never done it you can gently caress it up without knowing it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Asspire posted:

I actually haven't done it yet, but it isn't something you are going to have to worry about until you get over 90K

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just drove that car. Obviously couldn't get a great feel on a short test drive with the owner with me, but I liked it. Says lowest he'll take is $24.5k. That still seems pretty reasonable given the price and condition, correct?

Still gonna sleep on it, but I've been watching videos and reviews all night and I think I'm gonna do it!

fknlo fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 5, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fknlo posted:

Just drove that car. Obviously couldn't get a great feel on a short test drive with the owner with me, but I liked it. Says lowest he'll take is $24.5k. That still seems pretty reasonable given the price and condition, correct?

Still gonna sleep on it, but I've been watching videos and reviews all night and I think I'm gonna do it!

It's worth it IMO. These cars do not really depreciate in value much and if you aren't using it as a daily and don't rack a shitload of miles on it you'll get a lot for it if/when you ever did sell it. Although I don't recommend that since in about four months you'll wish you didn't and start looking for another one to buy :v:

E: To put into perspective how much I love these cars, if I had the expendable money I'd be trying to buy a second one. I'll never sell the one I have now and I'll do everything I can to hold onto it forever

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 5, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nodoze posted:

E: To put into perspective how much I love these cars, if I had the expendable money I'd be trying to buy a second one. I'll never sell the one I have now and I'll do everything I can to hold onto it forever

And you wouldn't be alone in this either, the 3 guys I know that own one are all looking to buy a second each.

*edit: one of said dudes bought an NSX recently and still wants a second S2000...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

88h88 posted:

And you wouldn't be alone in this either, the 3 guys I know that own one are all looking to buy a second each.

*edit: one of said dudes bought an NSX recently and still wants a second S2000...

That is a good man

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

It's worth it IMO. These cars do not really depreciate in value much and if you aren't using it as a daily and don't rack a shitload of miles on it you'll get a lot for it if/when you ever did sell it. Although I don't recommend that since in about four months you'll wish you didn't and start looking for another one to buy :v:

Car will be mine on Saturday! Hit up lightstream for some basically free money at 1.99% and called my insurance company for a quote. Right around $500/year. Not bad at all. Now I just have to wait.

I'm not gonna rack up a ton of miles since this is basically my fun time weekend car but I could definitely see myself wanting another one at some point to drive more. We'll see what happens.

Asspire
Dec 9, 2006
I have been wanting a second one to daily for a long time. Ideally it would be nice to have one that is a pristine garage queen and one that a mod/drive the poo poo out of. Good luck with your coming purchase. Show us some pics when you get it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nodoze posted:

That is a good man

He's only a good man if I get a drive of the NSX... ;) It's a high miler though so he won't be precious about it and it'll get a spanking.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fknlo posted:

Car will be mine on Saturday! Hit up lightstream for some basically free money at 1.99% and called my insurance company for a quote. Right around $500/year. Not bad at all. Now I just have to wait.

I'm not gonna rack up a ton of miles since this is basically my fun time weekend car but I could definitely see myself wanting another one at some point to drive more. We'll see what happens.

Congrats man!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

Congrats man!

Thanks! I want to say that $23k-ish would have been closer to what I feel the car should be worth, but I'm paying $24.5k so I'm apparently wrong. It feels like I did alright when you filter cars with over 30k miles out on autotrader. That and the fact that it's local, and I've driven it(only other person he has let drive it!) and I'm comfortable with it for sure. Everything appeared to be in great shape with the only defects being a mark on one of the wheels that wasn't curb rash and 6 or so of the tiniest rock chips possible on the hood and front fenders. They're impossible to not get around here if you drive a car at all, so whatever. I'd normally be all about a PPI and I'll probably regret not getting one but it's pretty clearly a completely stock car that was owned by an older dude and in amazing overall shape. It meets my criteria of an unmolested, somewhat rare, sporty car that probably isn't going to depreciate in value that I can also afford. It's also likely to cost me way less in maintenance when compared to anything else I've looked at, so that's also a bonus.

Asspire posted:

Show us some pics when you get it.

Will do!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I hate myself for not buying one of these when they were 10-15k :(

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up

iwentdoodie posted:

I hate myself for selling mine for pennies :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

You can still find some pretty decent looking cars in the $15-18k range.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fknlo posted:

Thanks! I want to say that $23k-ish would have been closer to what I feel the car should be worth, but I'm paying $24.5k so I'm apparently wrong. It feels like I did alright when you filter cars with over 30k miles out on autotrader. That and the fact that it's local, and I've driven it(only other person he has let drive it!) and I'm comfortable with it for sure. Everything appeared to be in great shape with the only defects being a mark on one of the wheels that wasn't curb rash and 6 or so of the tiniest rock chips possible on the hood and front fenders. They're impossible to not get around here if you drive a car at all, so whatever. I'd normally be all about a PPI and I'll probably regret not getting one but it's pretty clearly a completely stock car that was owned by an older dude and in amazing overall shape. It meets my criteria of an unmolested, somewhat rare, sporty car that probably isn't going to depreciate in value that I can also afford. It's also likely to cost me way less in maintenance when compared to anything else I've looked at, so that's also a bonus.

Will do!

I bought mine without doing a PPI and I wasn't worried about it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

I bought mine without doing a PPI and I wasn't worried about it at all

I'm probably just spooked from almost exclusively looking at German cars with crazy maintenance costs. For this service we'll need to replace the spark plugs, so of course we'll have to pull the engine :stonk: