Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nodoze posted:

In less depressing news, I changed my air filter this morning. Last time I looked at it before the winter it was a little dirty but still alright for a little longer. I remembered and checked the other day and definitely time to go. I also cleaned a shocking amount of shredded leaves out of the airbox that were not there before. Fall :argh:

In with the new. Peep the dirty finger prints

And the nasty old one. Not the original color

Contrary to popular belief, that filter was probably just fine if not better than the new one. The poo poo that gets in it helps it filter even better at the expense of more restriction which probably isn't a problem in the first place.

Purple chucks? Nice. :) The purple wheels make more sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

Someone here should buy that AP1. I want another one, but I do not want a silver/grey car

Not my favorite either. I'll be pretty surprised if it doesn't go for at least $18k. I was really expecting it to for for around $20k.

Anyone here have experience with Clazzio Seat Covers? A local guy is selling a set of black/red and if they do a good job of protecting the seats from wear I might grab them or find a set of solid black ones. That's probably a better idea that trying to find a second seat to wear out the bolsters on :v:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Larrymer posted:

Contrary to popular belief, that filter was probably just fine if not better than the new one. The poo poo that gets in it helps it filter even better at the expense of more restriction which probably isn't a problem in the first place.

Purple chucks? Nice. :) The purple wheels make more sense now.

Yeah, I have teal and space ones too :3:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
modifry straps installed. Top doesn't look lower but it's certainly folding better

before

after

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Finally ordered my soft top. Got a robbins stayfast cloth top, in black of course.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

Finally ordered my soft top. Got a robbins stayfast cloth top, in black of course.

My top is in pretty drat impeccable shape, but if it ever needs to be replaced I'm pretty sure I'd go with the same thing. The reviews on them are great.

Another s2k on BaT. 2007 with 10k miles and definitely in worse shape than mine with the dents. The one in front of the gas cap is really noticeable. Really interested to see what this one goes for. The 2001 earlier finished at $17.25k which is a pretty decent deal.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 22, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fknlo posted:

My top is in pretty drat impeccable shape, but if it ever needs to be replaced I'm pretty sure I'd go with the same thing. The reviews on them are great.

Another s2k on BaT. 2007 with 10k miles and definitely in worse shape than mine with the dents. The one in front of the gas cap is really noticeable. Really interested to see what this one goes for. The 2001 earlier finished at $17.25k which is a pretty decent deal.

That car has a hardtop too. I'd pay a lot for that car if I had the money :cry:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

That car has a hardtop too. I'd pay a lot for that car if I had the money :cry:

With the hardtop I could see that car getting to $30k pretty easily. The coworker that used to have an s2k that kind of sold me on buying mine just flew out to Portland to look at an '08 with 20 something thousand miles that was listed for $27k. I'm not 100% sure if he bought it since he hasn't posted any pictures of it though. It would suck to go that far and turn around without a car. Getting lucky enough to find what I wanted local was great.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The coworker that pushed me towards buying mine has grabbed his second s2k

He went a few thousand miles total to get it after the first one he flew to Portland to buy was not in the shape it was advertised to be in. He grabbed this one in Houston a couple of days later and drove it back from there.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fknlo posted:

The coworker that pushed me towards buying mine has grabbed his second s2k

He went a few thousand miles total to get it after the first one he flew to Portland to buy was not in the shape it was advertised to be in. He grabbed this one in Houston a couple of days later and drove it back from there.

Bless this man, he lives the life I wish I could

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

Bless this man, he lives the life I wish I could

He was a bit less than pleased with the dealer in Portland. First they forgot to pick him up from the airport and then the car had some pretty bad/deep scratches with one of them on the door exhibiting some bubbling. He's trying to get them to reimburse him for the plane tickets but I don't really see that going anywhere. He already knew of the one in Houston and almost flew there from Portland since he didn't have a return ticket but came back to KC and worked an overtime overnight shift before flying to Houston. I don't like those wheels in pics but oddly enough I do in person. I don't know why either. I think his girlfriend might be pissed at me since buying mine really pushed him over the edge into buying that one...

There's another s2k on BaT. A 900 mile 2001. That's lightly modded for some unknown reason. The last one that I thought would go for $30k easy only went for $25k, so who the hell knows what that one will do.

I clayed/waxed mine and absolutely love how it looks with this wax.

s2k-0003 by John Gallup, on Flickr

s2k-0001 by John Gallup, on Flickr

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are you still running the stock exhaust Nodoze? I've said from the start that I have zero intention of modding mine, but a catback is something I've been thinking about lately. Namely the Tanabe Medallion Touring. I figure that's something that's easily removable if necessary in the future.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fknlo posted:

Are you still running the stock exhaust Nodoze? I've said from the start that I have zero intention of modding mine, but a catback is something I've been thinking about lately. Namely the Tanabe Medallion Touring. I figure that's something that's easily removable if necessary in the future.

Yeah stock exhaust. I am prob gonna take the cat out but otherwise that is it. I don't really want to draw attention to myself making it louder

Small update: Got hit by highway debris again, this time it might not buff out :argh: Also still waiting on that guy to put my soft top on, and for when I can start working at the other place too. Hopefully soon cause this thing keeps getting hit by things and I already 100% decided it's not seeing winters anymore. I am probably going to get an NA or NB and daily that I think, I don't care about a back seat at all and value fun over any sort of "practicality". No interest in driving boring things

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

Yeah stock exhaust. I am prob gonna take the cat out but otherwise that is it. I don't really want to draw attention to myself making it louder

Small update: Got hit by highway debris again, this time it might not buff out :argh: Also still waiting on that guy to put my soft top on, and for when I can start working at the other place too. Hopefully soon cause this thing keeps getting hit by things and I already 100% decided it's not seeing winters anymore. I am probably going to get an NA or NB and daily that I think, I don't care about a back seat at all and value fun over any sort of "practicality". No interest in driving boring things

Yeah, making it louder isn't really a goal. The exhaust I mentioned doesn't seem much louder than stock out anything but WOT and I don't think it's a ton louder there either. Odds of me actually doing it are low. I need to get a new DD to mod so I don't mod my fun car?

loving highway debris. Terribly/unsecured loads on the highway are one of the things I'd go after a lot as a cop. That and construction equipment that should have been washed before getting dragged on a trailer and driven down the highway throwing loving gravel everywhere :argh:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There was an s2000 get together at cars and coffee yesterday morning. Got up early and went before work to meet some folks

Pictures and more pictures.

My car got a surprising amount of compliments. I ended up popping my hood so everyone could see what a stock engine bay looked like. My favorite by far was the white one with the black hardtop. Supercharged and really cleanly done with 275's stuffed in the back.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Ive convinced myself that theres all sorts of good reasons for me to buy an S2000 at this stage in my life. Id been looking at cheaper, higher mileage ones, but then i found.. THE ONE.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5712638736.html

2003, white, 17,500 american dollars and ONLY 30,000 MILES.

Im going to look at it tomorrow! See what happens. From what i can tell, thats a drat fine price for the super low miles AND white. Its more than i wanted to spend, but man, i cant see a down side here.

White is the best color.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hedgegnome posted:

Ive convinced myself that theres all sorts of good reasons for me to buy an S2000 at this stage in my life. Id been looking at cheaper, higher mileage ones, but then i found.. THE ONE.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5712638736.html

2003, white, 17,500 american dollars and ONLY 30,000 MILES.

Im going to look at it tomorrow! See what happens. From what i can tell, thats a drat fine price for the super low miles AND white. Its more than i wanted to spend, but man, i cant see a down side here.

White is the best color.

Price definitely looks alright. The interior has been swapped but they mention that in the ad. Read me for what to look for!. Check for the VIN sticker on all of the panels. There's a guide out there, might be in the thread I linked. It has been up for over a week, try to get the price down. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get at least $500 off. I was worried I'd regret buying mine, especially with how much I paid, but I haven't at all. I absolutely love the car and love it more and more every single time I drive it. I have no idea how the previous owner only up 800ish miles a year on it.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Annnnd, he sold it right before i went to look at it. I was offering 16.5, and he was considering it. And that price was pretty low, for the mileage it had on it, at least from what ive seen for bay area prices.
Back to daily CL refreshes!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

hedgegnome posted:

Annnnd, he sold it right before i went to look at it. I was offering 16.5, and he was considering it. And that price was pretty low, for the mileage it had on it, at least from what ive seen for bay area prices.
Back to daily CL refreshes!

Do yourself a favor and set up CL notifications.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Do yourself a favor and set up CL notifications.

Right?? Doing that right now! Ive only been looking seriously for about a week now. That guy with the 30k mile car said hed had it for sale for the last two months without much action. Then two guys today, and i was too slow :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hedgegnome posted:

Right?? Doing that right now! Ive only been looking seriously for about a week now. That guy with the 30k mile car said hed had it for sale for the last two months without much action. Then two guys today, and i was too slow :(

These cars don't seem to move immediately unless it's an absolutely smoking deal. The price on that one was good but nothing earth shattering. Mine was up for over a month before I started looking at s2k's and saw it right away. There was a 30k mile AP1 in Oklahoma I noticed as well that was listed for $14k that was up for almost 2 months but sold a few days before I asked about it. Look out of state as well. It's much riskier but can pay off. My coworker that bought his second ended up going to Portland and then Houston in one weekend but got exactly what he wanted.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

IMO that white car was a steal at 17.5. White is hard to find and a clean title white AP1 with low miles is worth over 20 grand easy

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Aw man, made an offer, gonna see it tomorrow!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5712920034.html

Seems pretty legit. 2003, silverstone, 60k miles, fresh service recently done, and some extras i would have done anyway. 16.5, still a little higher than I wanted but with the miles, service and extras, i think its a decent deal. Specially compared to everything else Ive been seeing, plus its local. His pictures are terrible, but if it checks out, I plan on buying it.

Cant wait!!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Email that guy and ask him how he changed the power steering fluid in a car with EPS

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

hedgegnome posted:

Aw man, made an offer, gonna see it tomorrow!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5712920034.html

Seems pretty legit. 2003, silverstone, 60k miles, fresh service recently done, and some extras i would have done anyway. 16.5, still a little higher than I wanted but with the miles, service and extras, i think its a decent deal. Specially compared to everything else Ive been seeing, plus its local. His pictures are terrible, but if it checks out, I plan on buying it.

Cant wait!!

Check the passenger front fender and front bumper for vin stickers. I'll bet you it had an incident.

edit: It's not even a question after looking at the full size images.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 18, 2016

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Check the passenger front fender and front bumper for vin stickers. I'll bet you it had an incident.

edit: It's not even a question after looking at the full size images.

Is it because that shot with the fender is not quite aligned right? I noticed that too :(
About to run a vin check, and ill be sure to check for vin stickers.

And yeah, the ps fluid, i diddnt catch that. Well, other than that? Im looking at it this afternoon..

vin checks out clean.

hedgegnome fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 18, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

VIN can check out clean but that just means it wasn't reported if something happened

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Yeah, ill be sure to take a close look at it..

..and, nope. Way too rough for the price, i think. Lots of little nicks and dings, the front was pretty chipped up, lots of wax residue in the nooks and crannies, the top was patched, and the exhaust sounds rad but was loud as hell.

I did learn something interesting, though. He knew about that 30k mile white one i was looking at. Seems he knows the guy that serviced it, and it diddnt have the original engine in it. He says the owner swapped it with a high mileage engine.
Yikes.

Welp, back to craigslist!

hedgegnome fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 18, 2016

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I know a guy in Iowa thats looking to sell his nice S2k.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lightbulb Out posted:

I know a guy in Iowa thats looking to sell his nice S2k.

Any details?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Silver 2004, 40k miles, RPF1s on street tires, stock wheels on Kumho V710s, stock minus front sway, head unit, and hitch. It had a small tear in the top that he patched. Autocrossed for ~2 seasons and then he lost interest and hasn't driven it much. Not driven in the winter, could come with a small tire trailer as well. Here's an old photo but it doesn't look much different other than the RPF1s.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 19, 2016

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Man, I am so tired of silver cars. Im trying really hard to hold out for a more interesting color, but theres a bunch of quality silver cars in my area. Sebring and silverstone. The silverstone is better, i could maybe go with it. But ive already had 4 other cars close enough to sebring and i just cant :(

Actually is that silverstone or sebring? Its hard to tell in some pictures.

...How much is he asking for it? :D

hedgegnome fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 20, 2016

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Not sure which color or how much he's asking(honestly not sure if he knows either, I just know he's looking to get rid of it). If anyone is interested PM and I'll get you in contact.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Hey, found a white one!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5751848209.html

it seems nice, looking tomorrow. Im afraid ill hate the coilovers, but i wouldnt mind putting a stock setup back on.. plus its white!

ok, the s badge is dumb.

hedgegnome fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 27, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The tien coilovers are okay, but if you don't like them you should easily be able to sell them and get either a stock setup and cash or just cash to put towards a set of Bilsteins or KWs

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Stock is fine, unless you want ride height adjustment or like fiddling with knobs for compression/rebound it's pretty hard to beat stock setup until you hit ohlin level.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Drove that white 2005, and it was niiice. Very smooth, super clean and somehow it rode better than the 2003 with half the miles i drove last week. I dont think id mind the coilovers. The top will need to be replaced, and the seats are a bit worn.
Hes pretty firm on price, but im feeling ok about it :)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The top will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $1k to replace.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

fknlo posted:

The top will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $1k to replace.

Yeah, but only around 5-600 if i do it myself!

Which looks like a horrible task that ill most likely never do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

hedgegnome posted:

Yeah, but only around 5-600 if i do it myself!

Which looks like a horrible task that ill most likely never do.

Mine is still sitting on my floor :downs: