Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Das Butterbrot posted:

odinism is def one of the coolest and has no negative impact on anyone today so it wins

Protip anyone who self-identifies as an odinist is probably a neo-nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I like catholicism for the baroque ornateness and adherence to absolute absolution though i think that's a reaction to the predatory and commercial nature of christian mega churches in the US of A

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
turns out in the year 2016 the church telling you hey make it right before you dip out and you are good as opposed to the puritan hellfire for all things off the page is better

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I like gods that get tortured to death, like Odin, Jesus, Osiris and Prometheus

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I like Taoism, its central message is "just chill out bro :420:"

Every religion has hard-liners that are huge dickbags in some way or another, but I don't think Taoism does and I don't know what a dickbag hardliner Taoist would even look like

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tenzarin posted:

bitcoin

Also, lets make sure we help Iran get some nukes

TLDR; israel WANTS TO NUKE THE WORLD FOR JESUS.

Fixed

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
satanic temple pretty cool

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I admire Hinduism's ability to convince Americans that it's some super spiritual thing instead of utter nonsense. I also admire Judaism's ability to make money and Islam's ability to get people to do seriously hosed up poo poo. How many other religions are the real life equivalent of James Earl Jones from Conan?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DiHK posted:

I am fan of the mystic branches of major religions such as Sufi and Kabbalah.

I also like the collection of early writings that make up what we now call Hindu.

I guess I'm a dirty pagan in my heart of hearts.

the Vedas are some seriously entertaining stuff, they really know how to tell a story with epic scope

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
lol at jedis and pastafarians. they're like satanism's neckbeardy cousin.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BigBoss posted:

I admire Hinduism's ability to convince Americans that it's some super spiritual thing instead of utter nonsense.

New-agey white people searching for Higher Meaning to alleviate their bourgeois ennui are more into Buddhism in my experience

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BigBoss posted:

I admire Hinduism's ability to convince Americans that it's some super spiritual thing instead of utter nonsense. I also admire Judaism's ability to make money and Islam's ability to get people to do seriously hosed up poo poo. How many other religions are the real life equivalent of James Earl Jones from Conan?

only in India can homeless drug addicted cannibals be considered holy men, instead of dangerous lunatics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEpJdHS1pV0

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Protip anyone who self-identifies as an odinist is probably a neo-nazi.

I thought it meant they like wanking

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

loquacius posted:

Every religion has hard-liners that are huge dickbags in some way or another, but I don't think Taoism does and I don't know what a dickbag hardliner Taoist would even look like
i'd imagine it'd be like The Dude but way more aggressive about chilling

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i admire them all for supplying surplus males with the opportunity to make a living as an alternative to military service

we need more imo

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Scientology, you have to respect an effective con

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
North Korean state worship of the Supreme Leader is very admirable. It gives everyone a sense of purpose and direction. hopefully we can take some lessons from it here in America

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Sikhism is pretty cool.

Just be a good person and try and make things better for others. Also, literally everyone is equal and all "Gods" are just the one God anyway.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Catholics have the most insane art and real estate collection and continue to run a child abuse ring and encourage disease and oppression out of their private country embedded within one of the most amazing cities out there. And they're all right out in the open, wearing crazy uniforms. They're the closest thing we have to supervillains.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Catholicism is goth as gently caress. Without Catholics, we wouldn't have Nine Inch Nails and stuff like that.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Maoist Pussy posted:

Catholicism is goth as gently caress. Without Catholics, we wouldn't have Nine Inch Nails and stuff like that.

Ghost bitch

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It seems wrong to pick christian, since I'm a catholic, so gonna have to go with Islam. Muslims seem like real go-getters in general, plus their very existence seems to freak out dumb ppl, which is very entertaining.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

vols bitch posted:

Ghost bitch

i heard someone describe Ghost as "scooby doo chase music" and now that's all it is to me

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Deism is my jam. God created the universe, then shook his head and tossed it in the back of the shed so he'd never have to look at it again like the trash garbage that it is.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Deism is my jam. God created the universe, then shook his head and tossed it in the back of the shed so he'd never have to look at it again like the trash garbage that it is.

If you think about the reasons why an omnipotent God would create a universe, deism starts to makes a lot of sense

Like, if you were planning on micromanaging everything and making sure everything went exactly according to your grand design, what would be the point of actually making the thing, just write down the grand design and the effect is the same. You'd only create a universe full of people with free will and the capacity for suffering if you wanted to see what they'd do without your input.

e: also stuff like "why exactly would an omnipotent God care where I put my dinger or what days I eat red meat"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

While looking for something like this

I found this

which is pretty cool I guess

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Sikhism is the best religion because you have a religious excuse to carry a knife everywhere.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Aum Shinrikyo was pretty rad

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There was a Sikh at my high school and people made fun of him a lot because he had to wear a kids'-turban thing that looked like he had strapped a ball to his forehead

His dad's grown-up turban looked friggin' sweet though

William Bear posted:

Sikhism is the best religion because you have a religious excuse to carry a knife everywhere.

ever since I learned this I've wondered how Sikhs get on airplanes

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

loquacius posted:

I like Taoism, its central message is "just chill out bro :420:"

The Boxers, I guess.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Thor man, he was like the god of war and of protecting the United States with an all star team of mortals

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

loquacius posted:

ever since I learned this I've wondered how Sikhs get on airplanes

hell I'd feel safer with a sikh or two onboard. remember that time some fuckheads tried to rob some train in india and this sikh just murdered the poo poo out of them with his knife :black101:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Sikhs loving own and I've never met one I didn't like.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Gobblecoque posted:

hell I'd feel safer with a sikh or two onboard. remember that time some fuckheads tried to rob some train in india and this sikh just murdered the poo poo out of them with his knife :black101:

During the riots in London a few years back I stayed up until 4 in the morning watching some live public access style Sikh channel that was buried in the Sky EPG because it was just two Sikh guys with a camera going around checking if other Sikhs were OK.

Highlights included them helping police track down a looter by chasing him in their car after giving a police officer a lift, meeting local Sikh business owners who vowed to gently caress up anyone who tried to steal from them because looting was a lovely thing to do and interviewing a temple elder type guy who had an actual loving trident that he was going to use on anyone that tried to harm the temple because it was a safe haven for whoever wanted to stay there for the night. Two other guys with swords showed up during the course of the interview with similar threats. I think the highlights are still up on YouTube somewhere.

The entire thing made me develop a huge amount of respect for Sikhs and their belief system even though I am a staunch atheist. These people actually give a poo poo about humanity as a whole and they set a really good example.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
none, I want all cults and cultists gone

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Big fan of taoism. Uncarved block and all that.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Evangelical Christianity

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

jainism. they're so dedicated to not killing any living thing that they wear things that guard their mouths so that they don't accidentally swallow bugs

Tenzarin posted:

bitcoin

Also, lets make sure we help Iran get some nukes

TLDR; IRAN WANTS TO NUKE THE WORLD FOR JESUS.
jews who serve as useful idiots to Revelations-obsessed evangelicals confuse the hell out of me. they're not our friends, assholes

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

dreezy posted:

I am personally a fan of how Satanism has evolved into a secular political movement aimed at highlighting violations of the establishment clause first amendment, e.g. pushing for Baphomet statues in government buildings where the 10 commandments are displayed.

I'm also fairly okay with Universalism because I like the idea of hitler getting into heaven and everyone feeling super awkward about it.

Satanism has become a pretty amusing troll religion.

I haven't looked into it much but Sikhism and all the Sikhs I've run into are pretty chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

none, I want all cults and cultists gone

Chill out bro, here, drink some kool-aid!

I have always been fascinated with really out-there UFO-cults, Realism, and especially Theosophy.

• Locked thread