Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I like Taoism, its central message is "just chill out bro :420:"

Every religion has hard-liners that are huge dickbags in some way or another, but I don't think Taoism does and I don't know what a dickbag hardliner Taoist would even look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BigBoss posted:

I admire Hinduism's ability to convince Americans that it's some super spiritual thing instead of utter nonsense.

New-agey white people searching for Higher Meaning to alleviate their bourgeois ennui are more into Buddhism in my experience

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Deism is my jam. God created the universe, then shook his head and tossed it in the back of the shed so he'd never have to look at it again like the trash garbage that it is.

If you think about the reasons why an omnipotent God would create a universe, deism starts to makes a lot of sense

Like, if you were planning on micromanaging everything and making sure everything went exactly according to your grand design, what would be the point of actually making the thing, just write down the grand design and the effect is the same. You'd only create a universe full of people with free will and the capacity for suffering if you wanted to see what they'd do without your input.

e: also stuff like "why exactly would an omnipotent God care where I put my dinger or what days I eat red meat"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There was a Sikh at my high school and people made fun of him a lot because he had to wear a kids'-turban thing that looked like he had strapped a ball to his forehead

His dad's grown-up turban looked friggin' sweet though

William Bear posted:

Sikhism is the best religion because you have a religious excuse to carry a knife everywhere.

ever since I learned this I've wondered how Sikhs get on airplanes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

amityville anus posted:

I admire the jews at how tenaciously they grasp with their claws at their own and other peoples' monies for the sake of having more money

I know this is a trollpost, but for the record Judaism itself doesn't actually involve any financial poo poo

It just doesn't expressly discourage dealing with money like Christianity does (mostly since money barely existed in Old Testament times), and in medieval Europe that left a pretty clear niche for Jews who were legally excluded from a lot of other possible careers and whose culture encouraged sitting around studying a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Judaism is one tough duck. i donno how all those jews managed to stay jews for thousands of years and not assimilate into the local populations

the central message at the heart of basically every jewish holiday is "these people tried to make Jews stop being Jewish and it didn't work because gently caress them"

In other words it's not for lack of trying on the part of local authority figures through the years but resistance to assimilation became kind of a self-sustaining idea

To a certain point anyway; I dunno if you've noticed but 95% of American Jews are just basic American-style white people except for the not liking Christmas part and as I understand it it was p much the same in modern Europe until the whole Holocaust thing

• Locked thread