Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'm never going to buy a house because if the neighborhood goes to poo poo hope you like losing money and then I'm sure all those repairs you do will prevent you from going on vacations that help relieve stress from work so you'll just die tired and old and penniless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

reallivedinosaur posted:

This is unironically true though

Hello, Grover, how's the add-on doing?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
dehumanize yourself and face to toolshed

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Not me, but kind of like me because I managed to build part of an IKEA desk upside down that one time :downs:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Not me, but kind of like me because I managed to build part of an IKEA desk upside down that one time :downs:

The 'Canada's Worst Handyman' series I posted about earlier had an episode where the contestants had to assemble an electric fireplace kit with predictable results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnn63IOAdqU&t=239s

The very first challenge they had to do back in episode one was take a list of the 250+ tools and other items they'd need over the course of the show and simply pick them off the shelf at a giant hardware store. Of course some of them hosed that up and missed a bunch of stuff on the list which had a domino effect of making all the other tasks that much harder or even impossible.

Christo3
May 1, 2013

Any episode of Home Improvement.

"I don't think so, Tim"

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Christo3 posted:

Any episode of Home Improvement.

"I don't think so, Tim"

*apologizes to wife, mangles literary quotation from earlier conversation with Wilson*

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FIRST TIME posted:

*apologizes to wife, mangles literary quotation from earlier conversation with Wilson*

It's like Aristotle always said, Dont' hactch your eggs before your chikens are counted.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

OP you're going to want to clear your afternoon and read this:
http://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/fullblog

Guy buys a house, presumably with no prior inspection. House was pretty much built in the most back-assward way possible, and the flippers just put walls and carpet over all the glaring errors. Plus hilariously slapstick fraud, like putting cable outlets that connect to NOTHING into walls.

Buyer is really handy, so he goes through the house fixing stuff and finding new nightmares every single day.

If grover flipped a house this would be it. I haven't gotten to the end yet but the previous owner should be properly hosed since there's soo many code violations, and it looks like major plumbing and electrical work was done without a licence because it's GROSSLY out of code. We aren't talking about a few backwards wired outlets done by a retarded PO, we're talking about doing really bad work. it seems liek the flipper was one of those guys that' sbeen driving thesame truck he's fixed wit coke cans and baling wire 100 times. Just hacking poo poo together.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

If grover flipped a house this would be it. I haven't gotten to the end yet but the previous owner should be properly hosed since there's soo many code violations, and it looks like major plumbing and electrical work was done without a licence because it's GROSSLY out of code. We aren't talking about a few backwards wired outlets done by a retarded PO, we're talking about doing really bad work. it seems liek the flipper was one of those guys that' sbeen driving thesame truck he's fixed wit coke cans and baling wire 100 times. Just hacking poo poo together.

I think my favorite part is how they ran a screw through a wall, through a pvc pipe behind the wall, and then just left it like that.

And the Schadenfreude goes both ways. I love how the new owner, who is also a naive idiot, keeps going on the newas advertising how dumb they are.

OP, I wouldnt let hoodwinked house bother you, as long as you did some kind of bare minimum look at the place. Had that buyer just gone through the house he wouldve said "huh, this cabinet door isnt actually mounted at all. And this showerhead points straight out of the shower. Maybe there is some other sloppy/shady work I can't see."

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 9, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I hosed up my car stereo install, does that count? I don't live in my car...

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Also, there are several ways to research getting a competent home inspector. It's not an "oh well the industry is crooked, nothing I can do but feel sorry for myself" situation

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Chinatown posted:

all of those are absolutely horrid lmao

Before and after. Goddamn.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd say an inspector wouldn't' have caught 90-95% of that stuff, because it's all hidden behind drywall and other things, I do feel that the inspector probably would have seen enough of lovely work to say "dont' touch this place)

Inspections are 50% crocks of poo poo and 50% good to have, they dont' always see everything since they can't open up drywall and such, but they can tell you that there's problems that may be enough to make you want to walk away if you assume that what they found is only 50% of the issue.

I've only purchased one house without an inspection, my Mil's house that I rented for a short time, as well visited quite frequently for 8 years, I knew everything that needed to fix and how it was fixed (usually it was me that did the fixing, I'm glad I always did it the right way since it'd now be my problem if it was done like poo poo. ).

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 9, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

at least someone in that family knows how to decorate

I'm the outdoor glass tables inside the house.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It had nothing to do with home improvement but did involve all the tools. One time my dad put an M80 in a metal pipe he was holding and lit it thinking it would shoot out.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

amityville anus posted:

It had nothing to do with home improvement but did involve all the tools. One time my dad put an M80 in a metal pipe he was holding and lit it thinking it would shoot out.

Sounds like he was trying to fix up the ol gene-pool to me

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

tater_salad posted:

I'd say an inspector wouldn't' have caught 90-95% of that stuff, because it's all hidden behind drywall and other things, I do feel that the inspector probably would have seen enough of lovely work to say "dont' touch this place)

Inspections are 50% crocks of poo poo and 50% good to have, they dont' always see everything since they can't open up drywall and such, but they can tell you that there's problems that may be enough to make you want to walk away if you assume that what they found is only 50% of the issue.

I've only purchased one house without an inspection, my Mil's house that I rented for a short time, as well visited quite frequently for 8 years, I knew everything that needed to fix and how it was fixed (usually it was me that did the fixing, I'm glad I always did it the right way since it'd now be my problem if it was done like poo poo. ).

One thing an inspector definitely should have caught was the outlets not actually hooked up to anything - my inspector went through the whole house and verified that every outlet was working and grounded properly.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

peanut posted:

Every build on former agricultural land has to undergo an archeological survey in my area :japan: I've heard they have to dig down 3 meters. Luckily, anywhere that already has a house has problem already done it, so it can be cheaper and faster to demolish and rebuild than to fill in a rice field.

Is this also because of extensive bombing in WWII? In Germany you have to have the bomb-squad clear any land you're going to be working up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Canada's worst Handyman is a goooood show. Some of that has to be staged, people can't be that stupid? Like those people are impossibly stupid, as in "get a doctor involved" levels of stupid.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
My new house has had quite good care taken of everything but the electrics - the electrician I have in looking at stuff keeps telling me things like "well, I assumed the circuit would look like xyz, but instead it goes up and down and around the houses for no reason..."

also none of the plug sockets/light switches were earthed (despite most having fancy metal faceplates) and there was what looked like bare live cables underneath the kitchen sink cupboard. anyway I know nothing about electricals and I'm just throwing money at the electrician to make everything sane.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Probably a little disingenuous for the guy to keep calling everything illegal. He shouldnt have blown his load showing off misaligned door handles either: not when there are coaxial cables that only feed into the wall 6 inches.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

notZaar posted:

I hosed up my car stereo install, does that count? I don't live in my car...

i live in your car and it has been a major detriment to my quality of life, you jerk!!!

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
My old landlord had insulation installed under the floorboards of my apartment to "reduce noise" for the unit below. Turns out a soft material under crappy floorboards shifts when people walk on it, and eventually the floor broke apart into shifting sliding pieces of wood and it all had to be replaced, but for a few weeks it was like living in a fun house of pain and liability. I never got hurt though so I never lived the American dream of suing my landlord for millions.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Probably a little disingenuous for the guy to keep calling everything illegal. He shouldnt have blown his load showing off misaligned door handles either: not when there are coaxial cables that only feed into the wall 6 inches.

Yah, the dude screams naive.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

One thing an inspector definitely should have caught was the outlets not actually hooked up to anything - my inspector went through the whole house and verified that every outlet was working and grounded properly.

right but these were antenna/cable hookups, my inspector checked all outlets for working /ground / polarity, but didn't check the 3 cable outsets and 2 phone jacks.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

tater_salad posted:

right but these were antenna/cable hookups, my inspector checked all outlets for working /ground / polarity, but didn't check the 3 cable outsets and 2 phone jacks.

Home inspectors dont give a crap about cable or telephone wiring.

They probably dont test the central vaccuum either. It's not stuff the underwriters are going to care about.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

reallivedinosaur posted:

In another one she took a 3000 dollar sofa set out in the back yard and painted it pink with pink latex house paint (ruined).

What the gently caress was up with that show and painting furniture? I remember watching it and turning to my Aunt and sister and asking them "Wouldn't that ruin it? It'd be hard and uncomfortable..." and they didn't have an answer.

White people, I guess?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Professor Shark posted:

What the gently caress was up with that show and painting furniture? I remember watching it and turning to my Aunt and sister and asking them "Wouldn't that ruin it? It'd be hard and uncomfortable..." and they didn't have an answer.

White people, I guess?

Who wouldn't want a giant plywood couch with a 1/4 inch of foam padding on top? Bonus if you hotglue some decorations onto it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Professor Shark posted:

White people idiots, I guess?

Going to add some more Mike Holmes hate. His first season of his first show was about helping people who had been royally screwed over by contractors, and for the most part the people needed his help. Then it just turned into "the contractor installed the Italian marble floors 0.0003 degrees out of square, please save us from this nightmare!"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Blistex posted:

Is this also because of extensive bombing in WWII? In Germany you have to have the bomb-squad clear any land you're going to be working up.

Excellent question. My town wasn't damaged, and the cities that were damaged are pretty well built-up now. Judging by the lot of the house that my friend tore down, the archaeological surveys go back before the war.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Here's one I posted.

This goober I know removed some perfectly fine laminate countertops to put in ugly floor tile counters (can you tell he hasn't done tile before?)
Everything about it is bad.
First, it's a bad idea.
Second, look at that wavy grout line along the wall in the second photo.
There's not a square angle in any of those joints.
Their floor tiles weren't quite long enough, so they added a 1 inch sliver along the back

It looks like garbage and he posted those pictures to his facebook boasting about it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

My favorite thing about Groverhaus will always and forever be the completely random window placement.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Crazy Ted posted:

My favorite thing about Groverhaus will always and forever be the completely random window placement.

If it was anything but groverhaus I would assume it is a person who gives no fucks about outside aesthetics but places the windows for what works best from the inside. From my experience with the Sims this results in some seriously lovely looking window placement from the outside

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

tater_salad posted:

It's like Aristotle always said, Dont' hactch your eggs before your chikens are counted.

"as a baseball player said, ‘Wish for everything, ’cause you’ll never get it.’ I’m going to murder my wife and be happy forever."

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

That reminds me. You can always tell a place is poo poo if for no other reason than there's about 3' of coaxial cable coming right out of the wall instead of a wall plate with the proper connector.

Professor Shark posted:

White people, I guess?

Some people never advance beyond a child's understanding of how the world works.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 10, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Ryoshi posted:

This is a pro-click (and holy poo poo the hay looks absolutely godawful up close, not to mention the BRIGHT PINK CEILING). Have there been any good old-fashioned neighborly feuds that erupted from this show?

it looks like one of those weird foreign candies that taste like cardboard pink. Its awful.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

canyoneer posted:

Here's one I posted.

This goober I know removed some perfectly fine laminate countertops to put in ugly floor tile counters (can you tell he hasn't done tile before?)
Everything about it is bad.
First, it's a bad idea.
Second, look at that wavy grout line along the wall in the second photo.
There's not a square angle in any of those joints.
Their floor tiles weren't quite long enough, so they added a 1 inch sliver along the back

It looks like garbage and he posted those pictures to his facebook boasting about it.

I am all for getting creative with home improvement DIY projects but did your friend have a traumatic brain injury before this undertaking perhaps?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

LadyAmbien posted:

All I can think of is that House Swap episode that got brought up in GBS a while ago, where one of the designers wallpaper-pasted ACTUAL HAY ONTO THE WALLS.

someone i knew was on trading spaces and loving hated the result, redid it all like 6 weeks later lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

reallivedinosaur posted:

He's basically like any contractor who will talk you into spending 100 grand on a 10 grand job because thats "DOING IT RIGHT" and there is plenty of stuff he does on the show that isn't code. I have a plumber friend who gives me a huge long rant about his show, apparently the plumber holmes uses is a complete fucknob and they have some sort of beef or whatever.

In high school one summer I worked for one of the dudes Holmes is always subcontracting on his show, and we did some mega sketchy basement renos. There was one where I was literally putting up paneling that we pulled out of a dumpster in someones house. They are all just regular assholes out to make a buck and I have no idea how they stumbled into TV.

Anyways, my favorite holmes stories are all him strutting around town like a big celebrity and nobody really cares. Like he walks into Tim Hortons and stands with his hands on his hips in the middle of the aisle, looking around waiting for groupies.

My friends daughter told me that when she was 14 she had a sleepover at a friends house, and one of the girls was related to Holmes, so he comes to pick her up, and I guess he came strutting in all "hello ladies, would any of you like my autograph", and they all peed themselves laughing all night.

Well anyways I'm out of Mike Holmes stories.

I think I might have gotten in a fight with him at a bush party when I was 17 but I really cant say for sure who those jackoffs were.

I think he lives in Uxbridge now, is that where he's from?

Also the only story I got is a couple who bought a new construction as-is and decided not to get an inspector because they're dumb.

$6000 water and electrical bill later they discover they've been flushing their toilet with hot water for several months

• Locked thread