Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
The guy seems to have thought the realtor was on his side (they are always on their own side), so he agreed to buy the house as-is and, presumably, used to the inspector the realtor recommended (bad idea).

I feel sorry for him but he should have spent a fraction of the effort he's spending now on a bit of research before buying, that way he would know what not to sign and also have learned how to inspect the house himself (you should always try and get a good inspector, but understand that most are lazy and useless so you need to have a good look yourself).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Manifest posted:

Your experience with home inspectors is the opposite of mine. I had one tell me to straight up stop looking at one house, and his reports were so detailed that even my licensed contractor brother and our electrician buddy were impressed.
There was one mentioned in the crappy construction thread of a guy that wrote some insanely detailed reports including what's needed to fix things, impressive stuff, but not the norm for house inspectors.

Mine didn't bother to check out the gas heater, gas meter, or any plumbing around either because they were "inaccessible" because of a 3 foor high staircase to the back door that could be squeezed by if he was not fat, or climbed over if he was - put it this way - if it he considered it an insurmountable obstacle there's no way he looked under the house or in the ceiling.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Ryoshi posted:

I literally didn't sleep the night after someone posted that, so thanks a lot. :(
I remember discovering hoodwinked house myself when I was at around the same part of my home purchasing process as you are. It didn't make me feel all that great either, but if it made you look a bit harder at things you might have glossed over then it's probably a good thing.

I should mention that my house wasn't perfect - the floorboards below the onsweet had been water damaged enough to need replacing, and we ended up gutting the whole room - thing is I knew I would have to do this before I made my offer on the house, because I'd discovered it when me and my builder mate went over the property. Being proactive about finding problems myself saved me enough to fix the damage and make that room look a hell of a lot nicer in the process.

• Locked thread