Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

credburn posted:

Incorrect. Your RAZR sucked. It was slow, the buttons malfunctioned, sometimes the phone would erase itself, it would melt if left out in the sun for two minutes, the battery life was nil, the camera barely functioned, the sound quality was rear end, the reception was terrible, sometimes half the screen would turn black and probably never return, and the little hidden sticker that's supposed to indicate water damage would always be tripped so your warranty was void no matter what.

Maybe you were the exception?

Everything else Motorola made -- the SLVR, the CRZR, the AIDS, the NAZI, they were all equally terrible. I just hate the RAZR especially because of its popularity. Then again, if the RAZR was never made, then twenty million people wouldn't have had to call T-Mobile to bitch about their broken phone and I probably wouldn't have had a job.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with such a great phone

e: I used to work as a phone support monkey like yourself a few years ago, it's probably just confirmation bias because you're only ever going to hear problems when people call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

On the other hand, the modern Moto G, E and X phones are pretty loving great.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't know my razr was perfectly functional while I had it, none of those problems you described. Yeah the camera sucked but back then who gave a poo poo about the camera function on the phone?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with such a great phone

e: I used to work as a phone support monkey like yourself a few years ago, it's probably just confirmation bias because you're only ever going to hear problems when people call.

Yeah, maybe I should take that into consideration. When that phone would sell more than any other phone, it's natural that we would get more calls regarding it.

Still, the features could be matched by much better and cheaper phones. People just gotta be trendy, though. Maybe that's who I'm mad at.

Conformists :argh:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Cicadas! posted:

They must be making some kind of desperate bid for relevance, because I saw these at a Target today.

I cannot even begin to fathom what was passing through the head of the executive who decided that pressed chocolate dust and uncomfortably chewy red-flavored goop would pair well with each other.

For a second I thought it was actual fish like from Sweden. Oreo+actual fish. :barf:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

So how many Funco Pop figures have they released up to this point? It's got to be in the thousands, right? They're all over the studio where I work and I hate them.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What's with the weird colours for the Flintstones characters?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

credburn posted:

Can I post something that I used to hate?

Motorola products. Anything. I worked at a T-Mobile call center between 2004 and 2008 and at LEAST half the calls we got were because Motorola phones were the most cheaply made, slow pieces of garbage there was. Everyone wanted a loving RAZR because it had a stupid loving name and looked like poo poo. I got in trouble with work because I would actively try to dissuade customers from buying it. There were thirty other loving phones that were half as expensive as the RAZR and would last eight times as long and why why why DON'T BUY THIS loving PHONE.

One day some Motorola people came to the call center to tell us about some new bullshit they were making and they gave us all these weird candy dispensers that looked like phones. The girl sitting next to me pushed the button on it and the entire thing came apart like it was spring-loaded to destroy itself. Very indicative of a Motorola product.

To be fair, I don't know much about the cell phone industry now or Motorola. Maybe they got their poo poo together.

Counterpoint: The Moto X and X2 are fantastic and I wish I had gone with the X2 instead of an S7

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

-S- posted:

Counterpoint: The Moto X and X2 are fantastic and I wish I had gone with the X2 instead of an S7

I want to get a Moto X or X2, but my three year old Moto G is still going strong. They really do make great phones for the price.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

88h88 posted:

...and yet if you suggest to most Americans that their bread is awful and bread in name only, they get all upset and defensive.

I think the reason Americans get defensive over this is because of something that really doesn't come across if you've never visited the states: we have gently caress tons more food than the UK or Aus. That was a thing that was hard to communicate to people I met during my brief stay in the UK, the difference between your average American grocery store like Safeway or Kroger (not even bringing Walmart into the equation) and somewhere like a Tesco or a Sainsburys is pretty dramatic. Once you start talking Walmart it doesn't even come close. The frozen food section of my local WalMart is half the size of most of the supermarkets I was in in England and Ireland. So some of the stereotypes about cheap American cake bread are true, but at my random local store I can also buy fresh baked loaves of sourdough or french bread cut sandwich style for 2 dollars, I can buy half a dozen different brands of premium priced whole grain sugarless hippie breads, I can get pre-made dough to cook my own bread in about fifteen minutes if I was for some reason really lazy and hated yeasts, and the store itself has three separate store brands of prepacked bread ranging from the sugary white bread stuff to the normal fairly sugar free premium breads. And too be fair, the bigger Tesco stores (I forget what they're called) get to around the same levels of variety as most American super markets but they still trend much smaller on average in my experience.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
It sounds like you're talking about the city centre supermarkets. The Tesco's there would be smaller than the one you'd find in a retail park, for the obvious reason of land premium.
Though I wouldn't know for sure having never been to America. There's probably someone who could better compare the two.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crow Jane posted:

I want to get a Moto X or X2, but my three year old Moto G is still going strong. They really do make great phones for the price.

That's probably coming to an end, now that Motorola Mobile has been bought by Lenovo.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Frankston posted:

Looks like they did different colorways for some reason as an SDCC exclusive a couple years ago.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Marenghi posted:

It sounds like you're talking about the city centre supermarkets. The Tesco's there would be smaller than the one you'd find in a retail park, for the obvious reason of land premium.
Though I wouldn't know for sure having never been to America. There's probably someone who could better compare the two.

Our grocery stores absolutely trend towards gigantic. Like I'm in a relatively small town and if I go to buy let's say... pretty cooked canned mushrooms (why god) I'll likely have about six brands to choose from for something that is largely brand agnostic as it comes to quality.

50 different types and brands of bacon? Sure. My Publix dedicates more area for bread than space even exists for all food types in some European markets I've seen.

Oh and Publix bakery 5 grain Italian is pure nirvana.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I really don't get the appeal of these. What do you do with them? Display them? Why? Do people think they look good as decorations?

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I really don't get the appeal of these. What do you do with them? Display them? Why? Do people think they look good as decorations?

I have a buddy who collects these godawful things. He displays them on his mantelpiece. gently caress if I know why

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I hate Funkopop stuff. They're precious moments figurines for millennials. Ugly homogenized kitsch, scrubbed of any details that made the original characters distinct or interesting.

If you collect these, you are a grandmother.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
They go to show that people will buy literally anything if they are marketed as "collectibles". I hate things that have no point besides being collected, like those stupid disney pins. They probably cost like 2 cents to make but they can/will charge 20+ dollars for them just because they're ~limited edition~. The artwork on them isn't even good so they have no point besides "this is rare because they decided it's going to be rare so I have to have it". I've met these people and they do nothing with them but put them in binders and order the next batch of 100 off ebay. Occasionally they'll go to the park and trade them with employees but even that seems lame, if I remember right they are forced to say yes to any trade you offer. I went with a couple of these people once and it was annoying as hell, several times they'd stop mid-sentence and sprint off when they see an employee shouting "hey got any pins?".

In short, gently caress manufactured collectibles, the few things worth collecting are things that weren't made solely to be collected.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
When the page loaded I only saw the first couple dolls and wondered if I clicked on "PYF Bootlegs/Knockoffs" by mistake, because there's no way the official product is supposed to look like that.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I think the gray beards and Barney's blue shirt are what they looked like right after the show switched to being in color, but they didn't get it quite right so they switched it later. Dolls still ugly.

EDIT: I'm completely wrong! Not only were the shows always produced in color but just aired in black and white, episode 1 of season 1 has the brown shirt and beards. Still, I'm pretty sure I've seen the green hair and stuff on fred before. Maybe just on bad knockoff collectible glasses or cheap comics? or something.

feetnotes has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Aug 29, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Not joking, some people have faulty memories of cartoon characters from carnivals/cheap amusement parks. There are some strange interpretations of classic characters decorating the rides sometimes. Or even being given out as prizes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A guy I know collects pops and when his ac broke he sold four and got almost $300 to fix the thing. It's stupid and dumb but apparently the market hasn't burst yet.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
are the consistent expressionless faces designed to appeal to autistic people?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to the Pop things I now remember that every male Friends character had some sort of gimmick animal attached to them at some point

I don't remember it being their defining characteristic like they seem to suggest by pairing them with them though

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also that Goofy is horrifying

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cicadas! posted:

I hate Funkopop stuff. They're precious moments figurines for millennials. Ugly homogenized kitsch, scrubbed of any details that made the original characters distinct or interesting.

Wow, thank you for eloquently summing up my opinion on that Funkopop garbage. I knew I hated it, I just couldn't quite articulate why.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

They're precious moments figurines for millennials.

If you collect these, you are a grandmother.

:confused:

Frankston posted:

Those are the best ones because they look like they have duct tape on their mouths. :v:

e: To clarify I think they're ugly as heck too and assumed I was the only one, just because they're EVERYWHERE in stores so people must love them. Nobody I know has one though. :iiam:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I have two, Iron Man and Captain America, because they were part of a free offer with poptarts. My four-year-old is the one who plays with them though so take that as you will.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

A guy I know collects pops and when his ac broke he sold four and got almost $300 to fix the thing. It's stupid and dumb but apparently the market hasn't burst yet.

So they're basically shittier beany babies? I guess that makes sense.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Those things are goddamn hideous and something about the name makes me mad too

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a couple of those bobblehead things. One Brotherhood of Steel guy, Ronan the Accuser and Iron Man.
They are all visually distinct, thankfully but I don't get the appeal of collecting them. The FRIENDS one is a perfect example of how bland most of them are. Better stick a prop on these otherwise they could be anyone!

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Yeah, there are some characters that can make the design work, mainly those with masks/helmets or non-human faces. I saw that there was one for Brak that I actually wouldn't mind having but of course it's some kind of event exclusive.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I kind of want to buy a couple of the Overwatch pops for characters I like but I dunno feels kinda pointless.

Although to be honest if they did Bowie Pops I would probably buy them. He has enough looks they would be distinctive.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

They are all pointless but so what.
Just don't go overboard and make your retirement fund out of them.

Edit:
IKEA sells these high-back desk chairs in fun colors but offer no lumbar support or cushioning.
As a semi-tall guy, finding a comfy and durable desk chair that I can lean all the way back in can be a hassle.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Sep 2, 2016

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

dumb. posted:

Actually Sensodyne Repair & Protect is the loving shiz if you can find it. The Novamin poo poo they put in it is insane new medical technology science stuff that's supposedly going to change the dental game for hardcore real:

NovaMin is the brand name of a particulate bioactive glass that is used in dental care products for remineralisation of teeth. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NovaMin )

It literally repairs holes in your teeth.

Attn Sensodyne: msg me for address where to send the shill checks

Thread from the dead but this stuff (Repair and Protect) is loving brilliant. We get the one with NovaMin in the UK, you poors in the US don't. Canada does.
That, and a Sonicare - feels like you just got your teeth detailed at a really expensive dentist type toothwash.
Another one you don't get is called "Regenerate" - only really available in Boots (the chemist) in the UK, but holy gently caress, it works wonders. I was getting the start of my first cavity ever, at the age of 40 (too much hard cider).
Two weeks of using the stuff - it's gone, totally, and is a nice smooth shiny molar again.
Stuff I hate - alcohol free Listerine. It's poo poo. Get the blue "stay white" stuff and have tartar free teeth forever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I sincerely wonder if during our lives the mental health community will start classifying collecting the same way that gambling is. It just seems to completely obliterate some unfortunate people in the same way, only instead of blowing their paycheck on scratch-off cards it's on lovely plastic statues.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Guy Mann posted:

I sincerely wonder if during our lives the mental health community will start classifying collecting the same way that gambling is. It just seems to completely obliterate some unfortunate people in the same way, only instead of blowing their paycheck on scratch-off cards it's on lovely plastic statues.

It seems like a combination of hoarding and gambling: gambling that the figurines/beanie babies, comic books, etc. will be worth something one day; hoarding them until they can be sold for their "true" value (which never comes because of mental gymnastics).

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Ohnonotme posted:

Thread from the dead but this stuff (Repair and Protect) is loving brilliant. We get the one with NovaMin in the UK, you poors in the US don't. Canada does.
That, and a Sonicare - feels like you just got your teeth detailed at a really expensive dentist type toothwash.
Another one you don't get is called "Regenerate" - only really available in Boots (the chemist) in the UK, but holy gently caress, it works wonders. I was getting the start of my first cavity ever, at the age of 40 (too much hard cider).
Two weeks of using the stuff - it's gone, totally, and is a nice smooth shiny molar again.
Stuff I hate - alcohol free Listerine. It's poo poo. Get the blue "stay white" stuff and have tartar free teeth forever.

I live in the US and I just import the Novamin stuff. I have noticed it works a lot better than any of our domestic brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

1redflag posted:

It seems like a combination of hoarding and gambling: gambling that the figurines/beanie babies, comic books, etc. will be worth something one day; hoarding them until they can be sold for their "true" value (which never comes because of mental gymnastics).

In the case of blind-boxed collectibles, gambling has already entered the equation.

• Locked thread